Jump to content

Speed up saving the game?


Recommended Posts

My game is at the point where saving it takes a long, long time, and there's no way to disable the auto-save or even adjust how frequently it saves.  Does anyone have any tips for speeding up how long it takes the game to save?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if I set the save file to be written to a ramdisk, it still takes a long time to save, and I'm not about to swap to a different CPU.  So, short of throwing more hardware at it... :?

I'm more wondering if there's something in game that can be changed to adjust how long it takes to save the game.  E.g., does sweeping things into containers help?  Does it hurt?  Is there something else that can be done?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CDoroFF said:

SSD is vital for modern computer, however the savefile takes only few Mb (500+ cycles 4mb+)  therefore, seems CPU speed is the bottleneck here.

agree.  at first I assumed it was a large file but it is tiny.  hdd would be fine.  someone said they encrypt it so it causes huge lag spike...mine is about 8 seconds per cycle which seems low but feels terrible since the game us locked up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chemie said:

agree.  at first I assumed it was a large file but it is tiny.  hdd would be fine.  someone said they encrypt it so it causes huge lag spike...mine is about 8 seconds per cycle which seems low but feels terrible since the game us locked up

I timed mine, and it's about the same.  Eight seconds isn't a big deal, except the game is frozen the whole time, and when you add it all up (I'm at over 1.8k cycles) that's 4 hours spent just saving games.  Well, to be fair, the early game saved faster, but I'm sure it's probably at least 75% of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does it take a long while to open up an overlay too? That usually indicates (to me anyway) that something is in/out of synchronization (depending on definition). Try disabling shipping auto-sweepers or remove path redundancies. Very often auto-sweeper arms with automation can cause big delays on things. Usually saves should be pretty fast, even with spinning-rust. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nets said:

Does it take a long while to open up an overlay too? That usually indicates (to me anyway) that something is in/out of synchronization (depending on definition). Try disabling shipping auto-sweepers or remove path redundancies. Very often auto-sweeper arms with automation can cause big delays on things. Usually saves should be pretty fast, even with spinning-rust. 

these have nothing to do with the start of cycle save delay.  your examples are lag not locked game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, CDoroFF said:

SSD is vital for modern computer, however the savefile takes only few Mb (500+ cycles 4mb+)  therefore, seems CPU speed is the bottleneck here.

It is also (hopefully) a purely sequential write, so the OS will buffer it anyways.

Personally, I would recommend waiting until we know the actual Zen2 offerings from AMD before deciding on something new though. Even if you go with Intel, prices may come down significantly. Should take until mid 2019 or so, but I am waiting for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

It is also (hopefully) a purely sequential write, so the OS will buffer it anyways.

Personally, I would recommend waiting until we know the actual Zen2 offerings from AMD before deciding on something new though. Even if you go with Intel, prices may come down significantly. Should take until mid 2019 or so, but I am waiting for that.

Intel is sold out; they won;t be dropped price; this is why they increased prices (make same amount on less units).  In fact, Intel is moving to auction come CPUs to integrators....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, chemie said:

Intel is sold out; they won;t be dropped price; this is why they increased prices (make same amount on less units).  In fact, Intel is moving to auction come CPUs to integrators....

Ouch. They must have really, really messed up their manufacturing capabilities. I do wonder why they do not start having others make CPUs for them. The only real reason I can see is that they have some dirty secrets in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, chemie said:

these have nothing to do with the start of cycle save delay.  your examples are lag not locked game

I understand that saving the game takes a long time, I'm not saying it doesn't. What I'm pointing out is;

Saving a game gets longer if the game has to wait for (hung) synchronization to happen before it can dump to disk -- which it has to, unless half-states are okay to load. It's empirical but basically it gets worse if game has trouble syncing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nets said:

I understand that saving the game takes a long time, I'm not saying it doesn't. What I'm pointing out is;

Saving a game gets longer if the game has to wait for (hung) synchronization to happen before it can dump to disk -- which it has to, unless half-states are okay to load. It's empirical but basically it gets worse if game has trouble syncing. 

I believe it is what @Grindthisgame says.  It is getting larger and larger because of the cycle reports.  Hopefully they just stop saving 100's of reports we never read

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, chemie said:

I believe it is what @Grindthisgame says.  It is getting larger and larger because of the cycle reports.  Hopefully they just stop saving 100's of reports we never read

The save games do get larger and larger and that by itself takes longer and longer. What i'm saying is that if/when you have sync issues between your components then that will make save times even longer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

every few cycles now and then I manually save  - just in case I need to ever roll back  further than the auto save.

And in looking at my save_files folder.    Over the course of the game  (sorted by date)   the file size gets increasingly larger.

 

At cycle 6:    It was  1,227kb.

At cycle 500   It was 2,877kb.

At cycle 1127   It was 5,675kb.

etc....

Currently, I'm at Cycle 3374  and its 14,453kb.

 

 

Just looking at the auto_save folder alone, you will notice the save files are growing.  sort by date and you notice the file size is also matching up to increasing size.

 

 

As @Grindthisgame says...    It's probably storing ALL of the cycle reports.   And they need to have the option to flush it or keep only X reports.     

 

Options to disable or set the auto save to be "X" cycles only.
 

 

Just loading the game files takes forever.    Saving it as well.   And quitting to main menu.  (most likely auto saving your resume point)

I really hope the next QOL  update  will fix/address some of the game performance issues.

It's lagging a lot for me now in terms of game play.   Trying to change priorities or build things,  the mouse a lot of times does not accept click inputs for some reason.  I'm having to hit escape key now and then and re-try the mouse selections drags and clicks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The question is with the reports being 'retained' every cycle.   Is it possible we're looking at a bloated memory hog here?

 

 

Goodness.  the game has cycle reports going all the way back to cycle 1 (most likely).      I'm sitting here with 3380 reports and im still hitting the prev button over and over. so much detail being stored.  but   is it necessary to go ALL the way back to cycle one when you're at  cycle 3380 ??

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can someone send me some late-game save that takes very long to save? I need it for some tests...

EDIT: @RonEmpire you are somewhat right! With the help of MauPow I managed to reduce file by ~2mb (9.5mb -> 7.5mb) and saving time by ~2s (8s > 6s) at cycle ~1000 by removing reports. I think I can safely assume ~6mb at cycle ~3000, thats a lot for something so insignificant.

Noticed similar improvements on @Lifegrow's save from his channel (I hope you don't mind using it for some testing ;D)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@RonEmpire Well 15 - 6 = 9mb, sounds pretty reasonable :p  I didn't check it thoroughly, but you can find out yourself. Just place it in Mods directory, are you using the modloader? Be sure to backup the save first.

EDIT: updated the library, so its less likely to break the game: RemoveDailyReports.dll

@RonEmpire thx, this was a great idea with the reports ;) I'll add this mod to my modpack (see signature).

EDIT2: actually I'll just leave a direct link to file in repo so its always updated: RemoveDailyReports.dll

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem is the reports always being there. I wish there was an option to remove them. I don't need them and i bet the majority of players don't use them either. There should at least be a setting so only the past 50-100 cycles are saved or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17.1.2019 at 9:20 AM, GrindThisGame said:

The filesize inflates each cycle due to saving every report plus likely other data. It's around 30Mb at cycle 5000 and takes about 10-30 seconds to write to an SSD

Do you really mean >10 seconds of "real" writing ?

(Did some testing with my ONI folder mounted inside my ram, but not wasn´t noticable faster than my SSD.

=> Should be mostly CPU dependent)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, if anyone used the mod I linked previously - please download updated version - there was a possible crash on viewing old reports (After removing mod).

EDIT: seems like I was too enthusiastic about it - it only helps on certain worlds, for example on @GrindThisGame almost unnoticeable change despite it being huge save in very late game.

While on @Lifegrow's and Maupow's worlds there was ~25% saving time reduction (about 8s -> 6s) and about 2mb smaller save file (11mb -> 9mb and 9.5mb -> 7.5mb) on worlds around 1000-1300 cycles.

EDIT2: My current savefile was reduced from 3.4mb to 2.7mb at just ~600 cycles.

EDIT3: Looks like signatures are disabled by default so many of you might have missed the thread about my repo that I was talking about:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...