How do you deal with large amount of gases

Hello, 

As per title. I know gas management is fleaky but i was wondering how do you guys deal with large amount of gases. Exploits? Maybe some sort of mechanic? Or get rid of it? ( i know this question is very general and it depends of what gas - i decide to post it here cause every approach might be adjustable and useful for some.)

Yeah i use exploit as well. Tried to use reservoirs ( they are awesome as buffer for devices which need gas/liquid all the time and your power can go off) but i end up having half of the map filled with reservoirs.

4 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

The over pressure chamber for gases is based on tile mechanics so it's unlikely to be changed.

Well i think it is simple adding 'if' to the loop. If liquid then overpressure. Now is -  if more then 2k of liquid gas then overpressure. I think

13 minutes ago, ONIfreak said:

Yeah i use exploit as well. Tried to use reservoirs ( they are awesome as buffer for devices which need gas/liquid all the time and your power can go off) but i end up having half of the map filled with reservoirs.

Well i think it is simple adding 'if' to the loop. If liquid then overpressure. Now is -  if more then 2k of liquid gas then overpressure. I think

It'll work even with gases only tho. A liquid version also works if you use airflow tiles.

I just build tons of reservoirs. I got 18 for hydrogen atm. But usually i just leave the gasses in their natural pockets if i don`t have a use for them. I build my base without breaking those natural caverns whenever possible.

Only scenario when i can say i`m using exploits is with steam as it quickly gets over 100kg per tile when i boil a single tile of water. I don`t know if that is an exploit though as i don`t think there`s any other way to manage steam for the rockets.

4 hours ago, ONIfreak said:

Really the simplest way to rid of the exploit goes as follows.

if vent_tile = liquid

check tile_above

if tile_above = liquid

overpressure

if tile_above > 2k/20k

overpressure

Or to that effect including the tile to the left and right.

59 minutes ago, VitorF said:

Yeah, door super-compressors are pretty much the meta for gas management right now, as it can store gas infinitely.

If the gas liquid trick is considered an exploit, door compressors certainly are also. I only avoid exploits that I feel will definately be patched out, and for now I don't count either of those ways on the list.

23 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

If the gas liquid trick is considered an exploit, door compressors certainly are also. I only avoid exploits that I feel will definately be patched out, and for now I don't count either of those ways on the list.

Yea, I'm pretty sure they will patch it out and add some conditions for automatic doors, such as not closing if the gas pressure is too great.

1 hour ago, VitorF said:

Yeah, door super-compressors are pretty much the meta for gas management right now, as it can store gas infinitely.

I really don't understand why everyone is all over door compression but avoid the infinitely simpler vent overpressure techniques... 

I've built door compressors before and they take up way more space that a 2 pump vent over pressure room that takes up a whole 6x6 including the walls. 

Door pumps? Useful. Door compressors? Nah. I'll just use a vent. 

1 minute ago, beowulf2010 said:

I really don't understand why everyone is all over door compression but avoid the infinitely simpler vent overpressure techniques... 

I've built door compressors before and they take up way more space that a 2 pump vent over pressure room that takes up a whole 6x6 including the walls. 

Door pumps? Useful. Door compressors? Nah. I'll just use a vent. 

I use both. I usually use the door compressor on geysers to store the gases at zero energy cost. 

Vent over-pressure techniques are more reliable though, since the door compressors may sometimes delete gases while being background-processed.

4 minutes ago, VitorF said:

I use both. I usually use the door compressor on geysers to store the gases at zero energy cost. 

Vent over-pressure techniques are more reliable though, since the door compressors may sometimes delete gases while being background-processed.

Fair enough. Though the 240 watts for a pump to feed into the storage room is cheaper in my mind than the extra 1,200kg (at least) of metal ore for the doors and refined metal for the automation. 

I doubt door compressors would ever be removed completely, but I feel it is likely they will be nerfed.  Either Doors themselves will have an upper pressure limit like tiles do (resulting in the door breaking and gas escaping) or they will have an upper pressure limit preventing them from closing -- a low number for unpowered, and a higher one for powered.

The vent overpressure trick is not as simple of a situation.  In real life, it would depend on relative densities and pressure involved.  There would come a pressure of liquid where the gas would no longer have sufficient force to bubble through.  But this would be a relative point, between the gas pressure in the room at large versus the pool of liquid below the gas, but above the vent, versus the flowrate of gas coming out of the vent.  I think the parameters @ConnerMc2000 outlined would make sense.

I agree with @PhailRaptor on door compression being modified/fixed. I'd be disappointed if they eliminated door pumps however.

As for vent overpressure. I'm sure they'll figure out how to fix it at sone point and I'll be disappointed, but it is what it is. 

At that point I guess I'll just have to use huge high pressure vent rooms until I can get liquification systems built. 

5 hours ago, ConnerMc2000 said:

Really the simplest way to rid of the exploit goes as follows.

if vent_tile = liquid

check tile_above

if tile_above = liquid

overpressure

if tile_above > 2k/20k

overpressure

Or to that effect including the tile to the left and right.

This is pointless to come up with a fix for them.    The mechanics of the game is basic and  until they change the 1 element per tile rule-  there is going to ALWAYS be a way to go around the 'exploit'    You're assuming that people are going to use the liquid.   But gas can also be used such as CO2.  

On top of all this.   You can just fill up a gas tank.   And just deconstruct it and the gas then fills the room.       This mechanic  can not be fixed. 
I suppose they could automatic create gas canisters and that's even better - now you can transport them. This is how the liquid tanks work now.  Fill it and delete it and it drops 5T bottles.

From my point of view - this is working fine - and filed away as a HINTS,TIPS,TRICKS.    (tricks  NOT exploit)

4 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

This is pointless to come up with a fix for them.    The mechanics of the game is basic and  until they change the 1 element per tile rule-  there is going to ALWAYS be a way to go around the 'exploit'    You're assuming that people are going to use the liquid.   But gas can also be used such as CO2.  

There is nothing wrong with adding additional hoops to be jumped through for an emergent play pattern that is understandable and not exactly wrong, but too easily applied.

The question has derived to "is the solution an exploit or not" but a possible answer is : 

- A lot of hydrogen ? Pump it and use it in hydrogen generators.

- A lot of chlorine ? You can liquify it pretty easily with a few wheezeworts in an hydrogen filled room. And then you can store tons of chlorine in a very small room.

- A lot of CO2 ? You can use the carbon skimmer or liquify it with the same method that is used for chlorine. CO2 is nice as a meal for slicksters after you create a ranch.

- A lot of PO2 ? You can purify it with deodorizers very easily. Or feed it to pufts.

And lastly, there is never enough O2. If you have too much, your O2 production will just slow down and restart when the surplus has been consumed.

1 hour ago, Christophlette said:

The question has derived to "is the solution an exploit or not" but a possible answer is : 

- A lot of hydrogen ? Pump it and use it in hydrogen generators.

- A lot of chlorine ? You can liquify it pretty easily with a few wheezeworts in an hydrogen filled room. And then you can store tons of chlorine in a very small room.

- A lot of CO2 ? You can use the carbon skimmer or liquify it with the same method that is used for chlorine. CO2 is nice as a meal for slicksters after you create a ranch.

- A lot of PO2 ? You can purify it with deodorizers very easily. Or feed it to pufts.

And lastly, there is never enough O2. If you have too much, your O2 production will just slow down and restart when the surplus has been consumed.

There are obviously exploits. I myself use at leas couple of them in regards of gas. Later in game you have crazy amounts if gases around - hydrogen - of course you can use it bit after 20-30k of power ypu don't really need additional hydrogen generators. 

- Chlorine - liquifing sounds like interesting idea 

- CO2 - this is not used. Carbon skimmer is first option ( or slicksters) 

- PO2 - fully agree i don't consider it as "gas" rather like - subproduct for 02

- 02 - 1st of all your 02 doesn't come only from oxygen production ( see point PO2) and oxygen in oxygen production it is usually side product for hydrogen for rockets.

I posted this thread to find out and share ideas and approach how people treat/use gases and how ti deal with for example 20k O2 pressure ( venting to space is most common option) 

Archived