Qol DST-to-DS Suggestions

Pick and choose what you feel bests suits the QoL update. I've posted some of these back in the beta, but will repeat just in case. Items with a (?) attached at the end means I'm not sure if they should be added. I'll probably add some more stuff as I think of them/become aware of them. They'll be signified by an * after the number. ** signifies ones those provided by other people in the comments below. Thanks to those individuals, as well as others who were constructive in this thread. It helps a lot!

1. Commit to attack system in DS versus fake attack system in DST *(the fake attack system is better as you're not locked into an animation.)
  2. Ability to pick up items on the floor when holding something in your "invisible" hand (the mouse).
  3. Flingo range detector when placing down other items/structures. I suggest extending it to stuff like the sprinkler and maybe the oscillating fan. That way the player knows if the items are really within the structures range.
  4. Save times are not at the start of every day, but seems to be random (every 1.5 days or something). There is also save lag associated with it, meaning that the game freezes/stops whilst the game is saving.
  5. Despite the durability attached to thermal stones, DST thermal stones are more desirable since they seem to retain heat/cold for longer periods than their DS counterparts.
  6. A whirly fan please. :)
  7. Unlike DST, Summer in RoG cavs not only overheats you, but also withers plants. (?)
  8. In DST, the dwarf star from a starcaller lasts for 3.5 days, but only lasts for 0.25 of a day in DS. Also, the dwarf star itself does not look like a cool, fiery sun like its DST version. It also does not give off as big of a light radius as its DST counterpart.
  9. Mini Signs and by extension, the feather pencil.
  10. Similar map reveal range as DST when exploring the map.
  11. Lesser glow berries, which can also be added to RoC cave generation.
  12. Scaled furnace (?)
  13. Mushroom planter (?)
  14. *Ability to refine marble into marble beans to farm marble.
  15. *For trees to burn for longer periods of time, like in DST, and/or slower fire spread like DST.
  16. *The /rescue command in DST for in case a player somehow manages to clip out of a world, which puts them back onto walkable land.
  17. *In DS, Force attacking can force attack chester, glommer, and even worse, Houndius Shootius'. In DST, you must click to attack them. This keeps your beloved chester, glommer, and turrets safe from your own murderous hands :) (I guess this would also extend to Packim Baggins for SW, and Ro Bin for Hamlet).
  18. *In the caves, the day clock that says how many days it is, and when under a sun-lit area during daytime, will show the clock in its entirety until it hit dusks or when you walk into an area with no sunlight. 
  19. *This one actually isn't in DST, but I would like to see nonetheless in both versions. The Snurtle Mounds can actually be attacked with the regular attack button (F by default). I suggest changing it to being either the force attack button, or even Click to Attack like what has been done to chester, glommer, and turrets for DST. I've begun to use snurtle shells extensively as of late for for some fun projects, and I've accidentally hit them a few times b/c of this :(.
  20. ** Thermal stones also glow if fully heated during night in dst, unlike ds thermal stones. Credits to metallichydra for bringing this one up).
  21. ** One small change I'd like to have in single player is to have the ability to hold the Space bar on Tooth Traps and reset them that way without picking them up. Right-clicking on them can be finicky at times. (Credits to TheKingDedede for bringing this one up).
  22. ** Berry bush hats are hard to use because your character will randomly exit them, voice lines, foods spoils [ie. it turns to rot], and etc. (Credits to zzKratoszz for bringing this up). This is also the case for when the player hides in the Snurtle Shell.
  23. * When using the console or even just pressing the button to open the console requires you to hit Control + L to get rid of the console text. In DST, it automatically goes away when you hit (`) to get out of that menu.
  24. * In DST, Ice Flingomatics have an EMERGENCY MODE aspect to them, where the ice flingomatics automatically turn on if it detects that a fire has occurred within its range after a certain amount of time has passed.
  25. ** In addition the birdcage has the new bird poop mechanic. And the compass had some small changes that were kind of fun. (Credits to zzKratoszz for bringing this one up.) I believe they're referring to the fact that when birds in a birdcage are fed seeds, they have a small chance to poop a miniature guano. For compasses, they are equipable in the hand slot, display a little compass icon above said hand-slot, and the red needle in the compass moves like crazy when the player is low on sanity.

Here are some character additions/changes from DST. I'm not completely sure about these as they require more thought and deliberation, or may be unpopular.

1. Willow can craft Bernie.
  2. Wendy can craft multiple Abigail flowers.
  3. The shadow tab which assigns Maxwell's minions a job is better implementation of his ability than his DS counterpart IMO. Also, in DS, summoning minions places a cap on his health and sanity, whereas in DST, it is only his sanity that gets capped.

Thank you for reading these suggestions!

Edit: I want the devs to know that I appreciate the fact that they're reviewing what they feel will be appropriate for the QoL update. Hopefully what I've submitted are objective/good QoL changes that will make playing the game nicer! :)

You forgot one major thing: Ruins Regeneration. Currently in DS there is no way to reset the Ruins like there is in DST, so I think the Atrium/Fuelweaver should be implemented to allow resetting the Ruins (so I could get more Guardian Horns without using the Wooden Thing)

34 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Yeah, I know that. But he specifically said BRING SOME PIECES OVER. Why can't ONE boss be one of those pieces?

Probably because it's a...

Quality Of Life update not "Sinleplayer New Reign"

Quality of life means small things like these which op listed

Also you have to remember that dst is leading the lore so we can't just get fuelweaver into singleplayer

6 minutes ago, Philsam said:

Wendy would own several Abigail flowers? Abigail remains until she is killed by an enemy, she would be far too powerful.

In DST, Wendy can craft multiple Abi flowers. However, there can only be one Abigail alive at a time. When that Abi dies, in order for a new Abi to be spawned, you must kill another entity with the flower on the floor, just like regular Abi. The advantage is that each flower have their own timer. What this means is that a new Abi can be summoned if that Abi flower is ready to be summoned 

It's also under the section of things I'm not so sure about adding. Hopefully that made sense.

Just now, lakhnish said:

En été, Wendy peut créer plusieurs fleurs Abi. Cependant, il ne peut y avoir qu'un seul Abigail vivant à la fois. Quand cet Abi meurt, afin qu'un nouvel Abi soit engendré. C'est aussi sous la section 

Thank you, I didn't know

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

Probably because it's a...

Quality Of Life update not "Sinleplayer New Reign"

Quality of life means small things like these which op listed

Also you have to remember that dst is leading the lore so we can't just get fuelweaver into singleplayer

You are incorrect on with both of your statements. Just because it is a "Quality of Life" update doesn't mean they can't add even ONE boss from DST. I would see an issue if they added all of them, but to say one measly boss is A New Reign for single player DS is simply false. And you say that the Fuelweaver in DS wouldn't make sense because of lore? Because (correct me if I'm wrong) the Fuelweaver was around since the time of the Ancients. Charlie isn't involved in putting him there, so why doesn't it make sense? Bee Queen, Toadstool and Antlion maybe don't, but the Fuelweaver has been around LOOOONG before Charlie came into the picture.

3 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Just because it is a "Quality of Life" update doesn't mean they can't add even ONE boss from DST. 

Quality of life updates are typically to smooth over things and not content heavy. They are correct on this.

4 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

And you say that the Fuelweaver in DS wouldn't make sense because of lore? Because (correct me if I'm wrong) the Fuelweaver was around since the time of the Ancients. Charlie isn't involved in putting him there, so why doesn't it make sense?

Any arguments regarding lore are a bit wishy washy, but to my understanding the Atrium is present as you say, however, it is Charlie that "connects" it (via tentacles), to allow us access—as seen by Maxwell's quotes: "I know why you led me back here. But it won't work."

The other problem is that the Fuelweaver is ultimately "slain" by Charlie (whether or not that was necessary or a kill steal is unknown). It than leads into access with the ancient gateway which is the current chapter of lore we are at now. Functional-wise it's not a big problem, but lore-wise it grants access to the Forge & the Gorge, and many problems come as a result. 

7 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Quality of life updates are typically to smooth over things and not content heavy. They are correct on this.

Any arguments regarding lore are a bit wishy washy, but to my understanding the Atrium is present as you say, however, it is Charlie that "connects" it (via tentacles), to allow us access—as seen by Maxwell's quotes: "I know why you led me back here. But it won't work."

The other problem is that the Fuelweaver is ultimately "slain" by Charlie (whether or not that was necessary or a kill steal is unknown). It than leads into access with the ancient gateway which is the current chapter of lore we are at now. Functional-wise it's not a big problem, but lore-wise it grants access to the Forge & the Gorge, and many problems come as a result. 

I would hardly call only one boss content heavy.

14 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

I would hardly call only one boss content heavy.

You are kinda arguing semantics aren't you?

Adding bosses as content isn't in any way a quality of life change. The beefalo taming and ridding is already stretching it as it is.

6 hours ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

You forgot one major thing: Ruins Regeneration. Currently in DS there is no way to reset the Ruins like there is in DST, so I think the Atrium/Fuelweaver should be implemented to allow resetting the Ruins (so I could get more Guardian Horns without using the Wooden Thing)

You're certain ruins regeneration is a thing in dst because you have the wooden thing in dst, right? While i get why you'd like to keep a megabase world, keep in mind that that (along with the also heavily requested world regrowth) are just multiplayer balance changes, not intended for the SP game as it was already balanced.

Also, the fuelweaver, ignoring the lore that comes with'im, isn't intended to be a singleplayer boss, as it is much more easily done with teammates splitting on tasks

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

2 hours ago, Atsumame said:

Adding bosses as content isn't in any way a quality of life change. The beefalo taming and ridding is already stretching it as it is.

I appreciate your support on what is and isn't QoL. What I would like to do is expand the current QoL list I currently have. Are there any other QoL changes that I am not aware of? What are everyone's thoughts on what I've suggested? Thanks :)

(As the discussion of ANR bosses is not constructively contributing to this QoL thread, I will simply ignore them unless a serious mechanic can be brought. What I would like to focus on are what QoL changes made in DST can be brought to DS, especially those that I could have potentially missed. Again, thanks :)).

8 hours ago, lakhnish said:

I appreciate your support on what is and isn't QoL. What I would like to do is expand the current QoL list I currently have. Are there any other QoL changes that I am not aware of? What are everyone's thoughts on what I've suggested? Thanks :)

Sure alright. Also sorry about that.

1. Commit to attack system in DS versus fake attack system in DST *(the fake attack system is better as you're not locked into an animation.)

Sure. But keep in mind that it's more a pain in the ass the command followers to attack something in the dst version. In DS you just need to press the attack key and not go toward the target instead of actually swinging like in dst,

2. Ability to pick up items on the floor when holding something in your "invisible" hand (the mouse).

Yes.

3. Flingo range detector when placing down other items/structures. I suggest extending it to stuff like the sprinkler and maybe the oscillating fan. That way the player knows if the items are really within the structures range.

Yes.

4. Save times are not at the start of every day, but seems to be random (every 1.5 days or something). There is also save lag associated with it, meaning that the game freezes/stops whilst the game is saving.

The whole random saving thing was made to combat save scumming originally. Dunno if Klei would change that.

5. Despite the durability attached to thermal stones, DST thermal stones are more desirable since they seem to retain heat/cold for longer periods than their DS counterparts.

While I somewhat agree the thermal stones in single player are worse than their dst counterpart, there is a few tricks you can do with them. Also them having durability means bye bye for using them as decoration.

6. A whirly fan please.

The whirly fan was made as a very early item if you happened to join a server which was in summer. On a normal world generation in don't starve there is no summer starts. Only if you modify the world setting for challenge.

7. Unlike DST, Summer in RoG cavs not only overheats you, but also withers plants.

It overheat you, but very much slower than on the surface. And for the withering, I don't think klei ever wanted the caves to be a 100% safe heaven which negate summer. DST caves have the antlion to worry about for example.

8. In DST, the dwarf star from a starcaller lasts for 3.5 days, but only lasts for 0.25 of a day in DS. Also, the dwarf star itself does not look like a cool, fiery sun like its DST version. It also does not give off as big of a light radius as its DST counterpart.

I do believe all those changes (beside the graphical change) were made so it's worthwhile to use for a team. I wouldn't mind if the ds version got changed into this though.

9. Mini Signs and by extension, the feather pencil.

Those are probably the epitome of the qol update picture. So yes good idea here.

10. Similar map reveal range as DST when exploring the map.

I don't remember, was the map reveal range in ds smaller or bigger? Because if it's bigger, I don't really see the point.

11. Lesser glow berries, which can also be added to RoC cave generation

I don't see why not, but I'd say they should generate in the ruins. So the whole "depth worms have a lure" thing work in full effect.

12. Scaled furnace (?)

Not sure either. This is one of those items/structure that seem powerful on paper but end up being...just neutral thing. Not sure if adding it would add anything to the game beside decoration.

13. Mushroom planter (?)

I'd say a sink for living logs is more than welcome.

14. Ability to refine marble into marble beans to farm marble.

Yes.

15. For trees to burn for longer periods of time, like in DST, and/or slower fire spread like DST.

I would prefer if burnt trees in DS would drop more charcoal depending on their sizes just like in DST.

16. The /rescue command in DST for in case a player somehow manages to clip out of a world, which puts them back onto walkable land.

Yes.

17. In DS, Force attacking can force attack chester, glommer, and even worse, Houndius Shootius'. In DST, you must click to attack them. This keeps your beloved chester, glommer, and turrets safe from your own murderous hands :) (I guess this would also extend to Packim Baggins for SW, and Ro Bin for Hamlet).

Yes.

18. In the caves, the day clock that says how many days it is, and when under a sun-lit area during daytime, will show the clock in its entirety until it hit dusks or when you walk into an area with no sunlight. 

I would say yes only because that base in the ruins and the ruins would have an in game day counter when they play.

19. This one actually isn't in DST, but I would like to see nonetheless in both versions. The Snurtle Mounds can actually be attacked with the regular attack button (F by default). I suggest changing it to being either the force attack button, or even Click to Attack like what has been done to chester, glommer, and turrets for DST. I've begun to use snurtle shells extensively as of late for for some fun projects, and I've accidentally hit them a few times b/c of this 

I don't see why not. Though inconsequential.

There are also other things like blooming of mushtrees, a dormant period of light bulbs,cave holes with loot,farm growth only in natural light and webbed mushtrees which spawn splitters , in general, DST caves are a lot better.

Also, wilting mechanics for flowers is only present in DST 

Also, fences and gates are one of the most wished for things. For them to work we need the salt licks.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:02 AM, Atsumame said:

I don't remember, was the map reveal range in ds smaller or bigger? Because if it's bigger, I don't really see the point.

It's smaller in DS.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:15 AM, ansuman said:

volt goat etc. will destroy the fences if there isn't a salt lick.

I've had goats break fences from being charged by lightning, which resulted into an even worse thing happening to them because of a bug in the game (this bug is present in DST since maybe Game Update 280490 to address the overpopulation of beefalos. I'm not sure if that fix which led to this goat bug was made in DS).

It went over my head to use salt licks after moving the goats into a pen. Thanks!

Since the QoL update has a picture of a Wilson trying to ride a beefalo, I was under the assumption that the items related to taming beefalos would be included by default. The same goes for fences and fence gates, as their crafting recipes were in the game files during the beta.

Archived