Upgrade Imminent!

• Developer

Hey Everyone!

This Thursday, we will be launching our next big content update since the Agricultural Upgrade.  The “Outbreak Upgrade” introduces a whole host of things, including new buildings, points of interest to discover, revamped farming, quality of life improvements, bug fixes, tweaks, and of course a whole new disease system for your Dupes to enjoy.

outbreak_splash_1080.png

We also understand that it’s been quite a while since our last large content update. While we’ve been releasing hotfix updates and giving information on our progress via things like the Rhymes With Play devcast, we understand that it’s been almost 3 months since the last big content release. The reason for the length of time is because adding a new system like Disease touches every part of the game, and it took us quite a while to balance and fix things as it was introduced. However, we believe that iteration time was too long, and we’ve decided to commit ourselves to a tighter loop.

Some of you may know from Don’t Starve, Don’t Starve Together, and Invisible, Inc. that we often have an Update Timer to inform you when the next big update will be arriving. We’ve decided to implement that for Oxygen Not Included: starting Thursday, the timer will be set to 6 weeks. This gives us enough time to develop good features for a systems-heavy game like ONI, while also providing a concrete time frame for our community.

In the upcoming upgrades, you’ll see us flesh out the content and tech tree, create more variety in the world, add more interaction between the Dupes, and begin filling in the lore of the world.

As always, please let us know what you think! We really appreciate the support from all of you in the community, and for once again believing in our Early Access process.

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 11:14 PM, Scorpio King said:

Disease overlay goggles, that's how you look when you press F... what F button is it now again?

HEY! OVERLAY GOGGLES WERE MY IDEA!!! NO STEALING PEOPLE'S IDEAS KLEI!!!!!

31 minutes ago, Radax3 said:

I am not sure how I feel about tighter development time constraints. It is nice to get regular updates, but wouldn't this hurt the game in the long run?

It will only hurt the game if they rush things. this patch was quite big in terms of interactions, I do not think they will have anything else like this planned for a while and if they do they can adjust the constraint as needed. 

So what I concerned most is exactly When the upgrade will be online. See, I'm a player from China(Not TW), so given the upgrade be online on e.g. 24th 8:00 am ca. , I'll have to wait almost one more day and that's a very long wait for me and my friend.

Thanks Klei!

I look forward to this release and future releases. I really enjoy the game and bought it instantly when I found it (which, btw is relatively rare for me to do). I think it beats many over-hyped AAA titles today of a similar simulation complexity (specifically Simcity 2013).

I hope Klei continues to grow and never stop innovating

Thanks a lot for all the hard work! 

You guys are great and Klei is doing fabulous games. Take the time you need to do a masterpiece! It's done when it's done.

anyway, it's good for us to have a timer, it allow us to follow your progress across the game, but don't think you have to rush. You show respect to your public and we'll be waiting!

1 hour ago, CodingKitteh said:

I really enjoy the game and bought it instantly when I found it (which, btw is relatively rare for me to do).

Mark of the Ninja and Invisible Inc have earned Klei a free pass into my wallet for their next games.  Oxygen Not Included has continued true to form, and I'm excited to see it continue to improve.

17 hours ago, BlueLance said:

It will only hurt the game if they rush things. this patch was quite big in terms of interactions, I do not think they will have anything else like this planned for a while and if they do they can adjust the constraint as needed. 

I wish certain people would stop expecting things instantaneous. The fact we're getting content on a monthly basis from the company is really a show of trust from the company.

Archived