[Game Update] - (BETA 188729) and Teaser

• Developer

DSTupdate_fixerupper_sm.png

Here's a sneak peak at what's upcoming in our next beta update on September 1st!

As well as some bug fixes:

• Fixed bug where sanity indicator pulses sometimes did not trigger properly on clients.
  • Burnt Twiggy Trees and Twiggy Tree Stumps will no longer drop twigs off-screen.

View full update

• Like 31

I love Klei and I love everything that they're adding to the game, but these updates just feel so small to me. Am I alone in this?

The cartographer's desk seems like something that should have been in the last update to pair with the Ocuvigil and new compass ability. I really hope that these new features in the next update have more to offer than the last one did. 

I guess I was just expecting some mind blowing new features with the "A New Reign" updates, but so far my reactions have been "that's neat," instead of "that's amazing!!"

I don't mean to be a downer or anything of the sort. Thank you, Klei, for continuing to work on this game. I'm thinking that these updates would have seemed so much cooler if they were all released at once, rather than incrementally. 

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, BenTheGeek said:

I love Klei and I love everything that they're adding to the game, but these updates just feel so small to me. Am I alone in this?

The cartographer's desk seems like something that should have been in the last update to pair with the Ocuvigil and new compass ability. I really hope that these new features in the next update have more to offer than the last one did. 

I guess I was just expecting some mind blowing new features with the "A New Reign" updates, but so far my reactions have been "that's neat," instead of "that's amazing!!"

I don't mean to be a downer or anything of the sort. Thank you, Klei, for continuing to work on this game. I'm thinking that these updates would have seemed so much cooler if they were all released at once, rather than incrementally. 

I concur, begrudgingly, cept' with the last one.

Edited by Mario384

To be clear this is a beta version update, not a live game update. A very small section of active players are playing on beta, so when it does go live, it will be a big update released at once, tested and ready to go. 

• Like 31

9 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

I concur, begrudgingly, cept' with the last one.

That's fair! I'm feeling very anxious to see the rest of what's in store for us. I just really hope that there are some new characters, mobs, and bosses. With how small everything's been so far, it feels unlikely to get things as important as those.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JoeW said:

To be clear this is a beta version update, not a live game update. A very small section of active players are playing on beta, so when it does go live, it will be a big update released at once, tested and ready to go. 

I understand that, but that doesn't mean there will be more features than we're being shown right now, does it? It's still going to be the same content, just tested and cleaned of bugs.

46 minutes ago, BenTheGeek said:

I agree the updates so far have are somehow lacking (presumably they have been working on this content since DST went out of early access) , but maybe this is the calm before the storm getting ready for the big stuff . Like an intro before the real deal come out . Well for now we can just wait and see .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

I agree the updates so far have are somehow lacking (presumably they have been working on this content since DST went out of early access) , but maybe this is the calm before the storm getting ready for the big stuff . Like an intro before the real deal come out . Well for now we can just wait and see .

I definitely hope that you're right. The fact that the rest of the updates are secrets kills me, only because of how small the first two have been. If the third update is bigger and better, I'll be able to get excited again.

24 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

but maybe this is the calm before the storm getting ready for the big stuff . Like an intro before the real deal come out . Well for now we can just wait and see .

And so... Klei upped their game... (or already has and is psyching us into a lull and BAM! A whole Circus' worth of lore)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Also, I think the moon theme is leading to something big itself. They've been utilizing the moon pieces since the trailer for DST.

Anyone heard of the Truman Show? (The control room/director of the show is in the moon!)

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BenTheGeek said:

I definitely hope that you're right. The fact that the rest of the updates are secrets kills me, only because of how small the first two have been. If the third update is bigger and better, I'll be able to get excited again.

Most of the first two updates revolving around the minimap was a major rework on the backend side of things and getting things to network properly.

Before, the minimap was controlled by the client entirely and it is now handled by the server and stored on the server.