Griefer List - The Inglorious

I'm actually wondering if it's possible to implement a "blacklist" mod that checks a list to see if the joining player is a known griefer, and kicks and bans them if they are.

The list would be updated by the mod developer and pushed out as part of each update. Threads like this could be used as the source.

Good idea, but I think this solution creates more problems than it solves.

First of all, you typically want proof before you publicly smear someone's reputation. Why? Because if not then anyone can add anyone else to the blacklist for whatever reason. That sounds dangerous and chaotic, and I bet someone who has it in them to grief would love to use such a system to cause some havoc. 

Next, who sets the standard of proof? Who is the judging party? Is there a process to appeal? Who judges that? 

I understand that you mean well, but this player policing system is self destructive to the community. I request you edit your post and remove the players name. If everyone started doing this all the time, there is no doubt people would use it unfairly against people who they didn't like. Imagine players reporting players over petty arguments constantly.

Good idea, but I think this solution creates more problems than it solves.

First of all, you typically want proof before you publicly smear someone's reputation. Why? Because if not then anyone can add anyone else to the blacklist for whatever reason. That sounds dangerous and chaotic, and I bet someone who has it in them to grief would love to use such a system to cause some havoc. 

Next, who sets the standard of proof? Who is the judging party? Is there a process to appeal? Who judges that? 

It's actually pretty easy. If a player gets kicked and banned from three servers within a certain timespan, the game marks them as "unsafe" for 30 days. On the server creation screen, there can be a "safe players only" option that prevents unsafe players from joining.

Boom. Done. It would be difficult to get on the list accidentally, but once you're on, your server selection list shortens considerably until you learn to behave yourself.

I understand that you mean well, but this player policing system is self destructive to the community. I request you edit your post and remove the players name. If everyone started doing this all the time, there is no doubt people would use it unfairly against people who they didn't like. Imagine players reporting players over petty arguments constantly.

Actually I think the current status quo is much, much more self-destructive for the community. It's a multiplayer game, but a lot of people don't trust others and end up setting up their camps in obscure corners of the map just to hide from griefers.

Actually I think the current status quo is much, much more self-destructive for the community. It's a multiplayer game, but a lot of people don't trust others and end up setting up their camps in obscure corners of the map just to hide from griefers.

At least they can randomly run across other players and enjoy new encounters still. Player policing is just going to end in a worthless increase of arguments.

How about a unviversal list of griefers, so that if they are known for multiple griefings, they would be permanently removed from ever joining online servers, unless/which means that the kind of servers they could join would be if it's their own, their friend's, LAN server, one which is password protected (since they would need to type password ofc like everyone else), if the server is PvP and/or if they get a special invite/access (if they are known to be very big griefers).

without proof or knowing the situation beforehand on the server these lists can be abused. I rather not have these playermade "blacklist" Maybe if you are caught by an admin on an official server or something there can be a blacklist.

@AveWarren: Welcome to don't starve together. Things can be burned and fire spreads.

@enragedcamel: If you're willing to play on servers with a mod that auto bans you should be satisfied with servers that use fire protection mods. Play on un-protected servers and you accept the risk.

People want a list but don't want to answer how that list will be fact-checked and by whom (Not Klei, they aren't babysitters). What is considered evidence? A screenshot of someone saying "I griefed this server"? That's never going to happen.

The fact that you believed the original post so quickly without concrete evidence is a good example of why a list would fail to solve anything.

It's actually pretty easy. If a player gets kicked and banned from three servers within a certain timespan, the game marks them as "unsafe" for 30 days. On the server creation screen, there can be a "safe players only" option that prevents unsafe players from joining.

Boom. Done. It would be difficult to get on the list accidentally, but once you're on, your server selection list shortens considerably until you learn to behave yourself.

The problem with this is there are many people who get kicked or banned from a server for simply joining because some people don't understand how to make a closed server. There's an entire thread on here specifically about stupid bans in fact. I'm too lazy to link it.

Anyways, yea, for something like this to work you need either a video or a screen shot confirming the griefing for it to be legit. Otherwise anyone could be added for anything.

"OMG u playd wif Willo?!? U must be teh griefers! Banned!" (Thinks to self, "der hur, good thing I cot dat")

Ayup.

no just , no, remove this,  on of the restriction's on your conduct is that you may not mess with anyone's 

enjoyment of the game, weather they grief or not, a griefer could get other people "blacklisted"  just by saying their name, also life  changes, as do opinion's and moral's, permanent removal  will only ruin that chance.

no just , no, remove this, on of the restriction's on your conduct is that you may not mess with anyone's

enjoyment of the game, weather they grief or not, a griefer could get other people "blacklisted" just by saying their name, also life changes, as do opinion's and moral's, permanent removal will only ruin that chance.

By quoting that you've made it so you have to also remove your own post to remove the incriminating evidence. You should also remove the quote from your post if you believe it to be a problem.

What I could get behind is a mod that makes it so that every server you make could maintain the same blacklist, so that if you encounter a griefer and think to yourself "it would be great to never see that person again" you can make it so with almost no effort.

Honestly, if you're that paranoid, Private/Friends Only servers are probably your best bet. It's too easy to just label someone as a griefer just because they whooped you in PVP. Or they ate that Butter you were saving for birthday Waffles or something.

I know I'd suck at PVP, so I simply don't play it. On the same note, sometimes I don't feel like babysitting my camp, so I just either put a password or switch on Friends Only.

How about a unviversal list of griefers, so that if they are known for multiple griefings, they would be permanently removed from ever joining online servers

So, you want to punish people for playing the game they paid for in the way that gives them enjoyment?... Okay. Moving on. 

Klei plz nu. 

So, you want to punish people for playing the game they paid for in the way that gives them enjoyment?... Okay. Moving on. 

Does money give all the rights ? No. Besides maybe he received a key from someone. Then if he enjoys griefing we should respect that and stay passive ? Come on. Freedom ends where the freedom of others begins, it's wise, simple and well known. I understand how the blacklist is a bad idea but please stop with these two arguments. 

Does money give all the rights ? No. Besides maybe he received a key from someone. Then if he enjoys griefing we should respect that and stay passive ? Come on. Freedom ends where the freedom of others begins, it's wise, simple and well known. I understand how the blacklist is a bad idea but please stop with these two arguments. 

No one is saying stay passive. Klei provides alternative solutions so you don't have to stay passive. But for those that keep joining unprotected public servers expecting a different outcome each time...crocodile tears.

16 advanced farms positioned close together on an unprotected server? What could possibly go wrong.

I cannot allow ban lists on our forums.

If you want to write a post about a thing that happened, that is up to you. But as there is no proof of your claims I can't allow a call to action against another person.

Besides that, this is a terrible idea considering that people are often blamed for things that they didn't do. I've griefed in the past because, hey, sometimes people have it coming, but I was also banned twice before that for playing Willow while being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ignoring even that, player styles do change, and once a griefer doesn't mean always a griefer.

I hate making this comparison, but think of Minecraft. If a server is public, and has no protection mods/staff oversight/community cooperation, the entire reasonably explorable world becomes a wasteland within days.
Same situation here. If you join a server without built in protection, moderation, or some form of community watch, you're going to get chaos and destruction. If you want cooperation and protection, join a server that promotes those things, rather than trying to make every server conform to that or invalidating people's purchases because they had some fun.

Personally, I've got nothing against some mod that holds a ban list for multiple servers, but only if people's names stay on it for a limited amount of time, and if the servers in question are required to have other mods for protection to make clear that those servers will not tollerate griefing.

I didn't read all the replies I just read the title and the first post.  But that being said "Welcome to Don't Starve Together!"

This is going to be hilarious because this thread and MANY like it are all going to pop up again with all the "new" players.  For those who are new and read this response all your grievances were brought up, discussed many times, and finally passed away during the pre-"flood gates."  Its annoying, it kinda spoils the game, and there is no productive and fair way to deal with it.  Just know we've all been there before and feel your pain.

EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN!

@Bahlsen, Alright so that argument isn't exactly air-tight, fair enough. But it is definitely too drastic to implement Xirmix's idea (He even realised this in a later post) I am all for there being some form of punishment for griefers but as far as the game goes right now I don't see many reliable ways to implement any sort of punishment.

Right now we just have to deal with each individual case itself - by ourselves.

And honestly griefing has never really bothered me. I'm perfectly okay with packing up and starting from scratch on a new server, or in rare cases recovering on the same server. (Although this is harder since players are more powerful destruction wise than anything else in the game)

I just woke up so if any of this makes no sense that's why... I think it makes sense... maybe. 

Archived