Griefer List - The Inglorious

While I love the game and play it more than I should, this is exactly the kind of thick headedness I can't understand from Klei.

My example?

Player name: Silent Myke

Steam username: Silent-Myke

Action:  repetitive speed-runs using willow to burn down whole servers and bases over and over.

Proof?:  Silent Myke wrote a positive review on Steam about DST which I responded to 'if he like the game so much, why troll?" and his response (right on his steam review for everyone to see…): it was fun and I'm teaching my 9 yr old daughter to troll too" (paraphrase).

Proof?:  Look at Silent Myke's screenshots of DST.  They all pictures of him torching different camps (one of mine happens to be in there fyi).

But JoeW won't do anything cause there's never any proof.  

Really Joe? Really?

LAME!

This game is early-access right now. Trying to stop greifers at this point wont do much, but lengthen the amount of time it takes to get this game out of early-access. Imagine trying to go around a get rid of every person that has ever burned down anothers camp. It's an impossible mission. Just use the in-game rollback system, and ban the griefers. Problem solved. (Or you could always download those protection mods). 

@Pathboy, Silent Myke sounds like he is playing the game the way he enjoys to. If you have an issue with griefers like I used to have switch to PvP servers like I did, now I can kill griefers, Job done.  

Nobody likes people who go around talking bad about others, even if they are talking about bad people. I like Silent Myke more than you already since you went out of your way to try to put his neck on a chopping board. Funny how the human brain works eh?

@Lonestarr01, This is also a great way of dealing with them if you're against PvP for whatever reason. 

@Bomato, Yes please! 

@Pathboy, Silent Myke sounds like he is playing the game the way he enjoys to. If you have an issue with griefers like I used to have switch to PvP servers like I did, now I can kill griefers, Job done.  

Nobody likes people who go around talking bad about others, even if they are talking about bad people. I like Silent Myke more than you already since you went out of your way to try to put his neck on a chopping board. Funny how the human brain works eh?

You're missing my point, and to be frank, I'm not sure you're even playing the same game as I am (given that ghost griefing is way worse than live player griefing).  You kill people on PvP and problem solved? Really?

My point is that people argue against a legit and organized ban list using the primary argument that there is never any evidence.  That's just fundamentally not true.  Here's a guy posting pics of his 'conquests'.   Somethings positive has got to balance the game in it's current state -- public servers are a mess.  Pvp servers are a mess.  I love the game, and I even love the messiness of the game to a certain extent.  

Close this thread, but this is the recurring main issue with this game going forward.  How the game will define grief and how it will deal with it.

Things I would like to know from the Dev team:

1.  Is the current ghost griefing a problem or a feature? 

2.  Are there active plans to deal with player briefing?

Johnny here is totally correct.  Silent-Myke is playing the game like he wants to and having a ball doing it. And that's kinda the problem right?  Silent-Myke's playing involves logging in on a public server at day 11, and running around burning everything down.  Then he relogs back in on day 18 and does it again.  The game mechanics have to take warped minds like this into account.

@Pathboy, take this from Klei's perspective, they don't have constant server admins or server moderators running on every server. Plus, it's not really fair to anyone.

1.  Is the current ghost griefing a problem or a feature? 

Not really, but Klei is most likely working something out.

2.  Are there active plans to deal with player griefing?

There have been numerous attempts to stop griefing, my suggestion is start a private server. If you have a public server, you will for sure get griefers.

The truth is, as long as players have a tool of destruction, there will always be griefers. There's no way to stop it, no complaining as if you were the center of everything.

Ban lists are absolutely never a good idea, for anyone or anything. They're just going to foster an overall more harsh and negative environment amongst the community. You're going to have arguments about it, and at the end of the day you're going to catch a lot of innocent folks, or people who were having a bad day once, or bad feud making a poor sod suffer.

At the end of the day, this Silent-Myke is just playing the game he enjoys it, within the confines of what the game allows. Klei's done what they can, and outside of ghost griefing, there's not much more THEY can do. If you really hate it? Learn to code and  write mods to deal with whatever part of griefing that isn't already dealt with.

How the game will define grief and how it will deal with it

I'm still on the side that nothing should be done to deal with it. If Klei changes the game entirely based on the minority of players it could ruin that part of the game for the majority! 

It's only a matter of time until all griefers are banned from all the active servers that have active admins. Tada! They're all goneTM 

My point is some things need to obviously be changed, like the ghost system. But other things like Woodie being able to use his beaver form to hammer everything? Does not. And yes I can guarantee when he gets released there will be at least one topic complaining about that exact thing being used as a griefing tool. But again, PvP would solve their problems.

ALSO This whole "dealing with grief" business reminds me of what GTA Online did with the their whole "Don't be a naughty little boy" system where you got punished for playing GTA, that was fun! Right?! 

All I'm saying is that if someone has the super power of infinite cuddly teddy bears you shouldn't really care if a few get ripped. 

Johnny here is totally correct.

Thanks. 0u0  

I don't think this is even near to what would qualify as a "main issue".

As far as I'm concerned, the main game in DST is damn near perfect.  When played on LAN or with a closed group, it works fine every time.

Dealing with the grief issue is the 'main' issue -- primarily ghost griefing. If they nerfed the ghost's ability to destroy a camp and burn everything up, I would be happy.   I can usually out survive hard core greifers, the always end up dying, then just hang around destroying sanity and bases.  I'm even ok with the sanity drain of ghost as there are built in game mechanics to deal with that.  I cannot deal with a ghost that can burn me down over and over, with no in-game tool to combat them.

Nerf the ghost or give me a tool -- I'll be golden.

(Personal idea:  we have a heart that can rez ghosts right?  why not a 'dark heart' the would banish ghosts --sending them to a far corner of the map-- and clear their in-game maps)

we have a heart that can rez ghosts right?  why not a 'dark heart' the would banish ghosts --sending them to a far corner of the map-- and clear their in-game maps
so, effetiveely kicking/banning them, as they would be unable to ressurect and/or interact with other players. 

so, effetiveely kicking/banning them, as they would be unable to ressurect and/or interact with other players. 

No, not at all.  Just moving them a significant distance away from the point where heart is applied.  If they were persistent, they could make their way back to my camp for instance, but it would give me a day or so break from harassment.  The idea of clearing their map might be a bit over the top, but it's effective to make it harder for ghost to scout out map and make it back even slower.  

Who knows, while the ghost might be sent far from MY camp, it may appear on the doorstep of YOUR camp.  If you felt sorry for them, they could be rez'd.

It would be the next step after 'please stop haunting my camp items'.  Heck, maybe it could only be applied once they haunt an item?

Nerf ghosts or give us a tool to deal with them.

Leave the sanity drain in.

Right now we're playing rock-paper-scissiors-ghost….and ghost beats everything.

No, not at all.  Just moving them a significant distance away from the point where heart is applied.  If they were persistent, they could make their way back to my camp for instance, but it would give me a day or so break from harassment.  The idea of clearing their map might be a bit over the top, but it's effective to make it harder for ghost to scout out map and make it back even slower.  

Who knows, while the ghost might be sent far from MY camp, it may appear on the doorstep of YOUR camp.  If you felt sorry for them, they could be rez'd.

It would be the next step after 'please stop haunting my camp items'.  Heck, maybe it could only be applied once they haunt an item?

Nerf ghosts or give us a tool to deal with them.

Leave the sanity drain in.

Right now we're playing rock-paper-scissiors-ghost….and ghost beats everything.

A better option might be to place an item, like the lightning rod. that,would keep ghosts a certain distance away. Kind of like an invisible border around the base that affects only ghosts. You can turn it on and off like the flingomatic if you want to let one of them in to rez them.

Also, that would make "dark hearting" them not really effective, since sanity griefing is also a thing.

Here's my take on the sanity drain problem.  The game has built in mechanics to deal with it.  Know your sanity boost items and plan ahead:

Cooked green mushrooms

Cooked cactus

Jerky, jerky, jerky.

Straw rolls

Tents

Silk hats are fairly easy to come by.

Glommer

As long as you have a way to provide yourself plenty of food, you should never go insane.

As long as you have a way to provide yourself plenty of food, you should never go insane.
with a freaking ghost being useless and draining your sanity while you try to do something useful, eventually wasting all your sanity restoring items you packed for winter? Yeah, seems like a great plan. 

A better option might be to place an item, like the lightning rod. that,would keep ghosts a certain distance away. Kind of like an invisible border around the base that affects only ghosts. You can turn it on and off like the flingomatic if you want to let one of them in to rez them.

That idea would be perfect.

Archived