Question about "interesting" mods

So I've been wondering:

Why isn't Klei banning mods that allow you to have Sw/Hamlet content in dst or mods that allow you to have dst skins is singleplayer?

I mean for me these mods are the same as if someone made a mod for vanilla ds that adds all rog content

Because it would be like owning a DLC but for free when they want people to buy it.

The Forge Mod is different since the Forge is free and is different on several things.

You can't really do anything with the Forge Mod. No new base building. It causes no problems at all for Klei that I can think of right now while the DLC mods could. You can't save a Forge Run like a save file and continue tomorrow and even if you could you can only play it for X minutes and then start over.

I am however going to download the DLC mods at some point unless Klei bans them since I would love to have a Hamlet Base in DST. There might be a way to solve the money problem by making it so that only DLC owners can have the mod but I dont think that is possible or they could make it into a DLC, sadly this would split the community in 4 groups, Hamlet DST vs "Normal DST" vs SW DST, "Hamlet AND SW DST".

20 minutes ago, MrKoopa said:

so that only DLC owners can have the mod but I dont think that is possible or they could make it into a DLC,

I was thinking of making a topic about "allowing chat and skins in single player for dlc owners" but wasn't sure if I should post that.

Really want to swoon emote in front of pigman houses.:wilson_dorky:

Making a mod that adds RoG to base DS is completely different because it's available normally.

In the cases of SW in DST or Skins in DS it is impossible to get the content in that version otherwise because it's not officially supported (and potentialy never will be).

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Making a mod that adds RoG to base DS is completely different because it's available normally.

In the cases of SW in DST or Skins in DS it is impossible to get the content in that version otherwise because it's not officially supported (and potentialy never will be).

It seems a lot like a grey area to me though. Even if they are different versions and they might not receive official support; that content is still being given away for free when you would normally have to pay for it.

3 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It seems a lot like a grey area to me though. Even if they are different versions and they might not receive official support; that content is still being given away for free when you would normally have to pay for it.

Yeah, it's definitely grey.

I'm not so sure on the stance with the skin one is, as I thought those weren't supposed to be redistributed.

Though I do know that, in the case of Island Adventures, they do have the ok from the developers and are being careful to keep it that way. 

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

i have all klei games and most dst playes do have them as well... i dont get why is this such a big issue now tbh

13 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Why isn't Klei banning mods that allow you to have Sw/Hamlet content in dst

Cause they don't plan (and hopefully never will) on making DLC for DST because that would split the community and make a lot of people sad and angry if they can't play with their friends because they don't have the same DLCs.

I think Klei sticking to skins for DST is good enough with some updates in the future like ANR(or even smaller). A pack of character skins is like double the price of the Don't Starve DLCs! So, I'm pretty sure allowing people to use these hamlet and SW mods modders make in DST (which btw none of them give the real full experience as of now) makes them even more sales as interesting mods can catch eye of more customers and keep players interested to the game and playing, making a higher chance for players to buy the skins which probably sell just as well or even better than the DS DLCs and probably take much less manpower to make.

I know if it wasn't for modding and cool mods on the workshop I wouldn't be able to stay interested in playing DST and if I wasn't interested I wouldn't have bought some structures skins and other ones.

I'd also like to state a good amount of DST's active players are ones who use mods and if Klei were to just start going ban happy on a bunch of mods which have huge subscriber counts (which most DLC-esque mods do) they could potentially lose a LOT of DST players who only can enjoy playing DST with said mods, thus losing a lot of potential skin sales or friend recommending the game to their friends which can be a huge blow to Klei.

For skins mods in DS, it's probably because they are just LQ screenshots taken off DST gameplay and quality wise look real bad and don't compare to the actual skins at all... Probably Klei doesn't plan to add your DST skins to be useable in DS because that would probably take a lot of effort and manpower which they need to focus on other more important stuff. I mean the quality of life stuff from DST still wasn't added to DS yet, so skins should be out of the question for DS for now.

13 hours ago, Szczuku said:

So I've been wondering:

Why isn't Klei banning mods that allow you to have Sw/Hamlet content in dst or mods that allow you to have dst skins is singleplayer?

I mean for me these mods are the same as if someone made a mod for vanilla ds that adds all rog content

klei never stated that SW / Hamlet / RoG will be multiplayer
so making a multiplayer version of them is OK 
if Klei announces multiplayer for SW / Hamlet / RoG then these mods will be taken down for sure

2 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Ok maybe y'all are not seeing my point:

Someone only owns dst. They download Sw/Hamlet mod. They got dlc content for free without paying Klei. 

That's my point

It's not more like getting it for free, it's more like a demo of what those DLCs are like.

There aren't really any mods right now on the DST workshop which are even 75% same as OG SW and Hamlet DS DLC. Plus, lots of people can't even use those mods due to crashes and being generally very buggy.

I like to see these mods more of a demo version to see what DS is DLC has to offer and if the people playing with it like it there would be a high chance they will check out the actual DLC and even buy it to get the real full experience. Also, these mods make good advertisement as many people who own DST would probably not even know about the existence of DS or its DLCs. I had quite a few friends which played DST, but didn't know about DS until I told them or they saw a mod adding DLC content.

On 29/11/2018 at 1:26 PM, Szczuku said:

(...) or mods that allow you to have dst skins is singleplayer? (...)

I Think it's because, Unlike in DST, In regular singleplayer Don't Starve no one else is going to see them, so it's just a visual thing for yourself. You can't sell them, show them off in your inventory, whatever. It's just a thing for you to see in your own world in singleplayer. If it was for DST though, that would be a major no.

On 30/11/2018 at 4:15 AM, Szczuku said:

Ok maybe y'all are not seeing my point:

Someone only owns dst. They download Sw/Hamlet mod. They got dlc content for free without paying Klei. 

That's my point

Hmm, Fair point. Though i wouldn't say it's "Getting it for free". You still have to wait any updates for longer after they're out, the "Hamlet Mod" Doesn't exist and is just playable pets, where houses are just reskinned tents (unless i'm missing something), More Bugs, and, I Feel like If Klei Really didn't want these around, they'd already have taken them down. Since it's something that won't ever come to Multiplayer (Unless Something happens), It isn't harming anyone. You don't get any Proof of Purchase items, and it's just a buggier, Multiplayer thing that you couldn't have if you bought the regular DS version. Though, i can't say much as i have bought all the DS DLCs, for someone they might just play it solo and say it's the DLC itself. But there are the obvious differences( eg: On the Actually Good Sw mod, the Quacken will be a raid boss, as in normal solo it only has like 1k hp, which will be a downside for pretending it's a normal SW world in singleplayer.) But eh, whatevs.

if you really want to play ds\sw\hamlet for free, there are already ways to do it

if you try to ban mods, remember, that nexus exists, you can try to block it, but people can just not update, so you'll just split players, although, not as bad

On 11/30/2018 at 9:15 AM, Szczuku said:

dst is not a free game, it was for a while, but not anymore.

Archived