If you have performance issues in Hamlet, your input could help

Profiler crashed on me too. Submitted bug with slowdown after deploying nettles and sprinklers. GetClock():MakeNextDay() returns to normal performance.

6 hours ago, bizziboi said:

I agree. It could be a common problem or a rare scenario, I'd like to be aware of it and hopefully fix it. Another save game shouldn't be necessary, unless you run into something that seems to be a 'different' slow down. Hard to put into words what I mean by that, but you'll know when it happens :)

Thanks for your help!

Posted this below, but adding this as a reply. Same problem. GetProfile() also crashes when I try to run it. attaching my savedir. Only one hamlet save game so its obvious which one is the problem. Slowdown starts after deploying sprinklers and nettles and returned to te shanty.

remote.18+11-23.06:23:01.tar.gz

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lemmethink said:

Profiler crashed on me too. Submitted bug with slowdown after deploying nettles and sprinklers. GetClock():MakeNextDay() returns to normal performance.

Posted this below, but adding this as a reply. Same problem. GetProfile() also crashes when I try to run it. attaching my savedir. Only one hamlet save game so its obvious which one is the problem. Slowdown starts after deploying sprinklers and nettles and returned to te shanty.

remote.18+11-23.06:23:01.tar.gz

One more bug with this savefile. exiting and re-entering the shanty causes representations of the contents of all the chests/iceboxes are outside, but if you open the chest the contents are also inside. Do you want me to also submit this via the bug report button?

• Developer
38 minutes ago, lemmethink said:

One more bug with this savefile. exiting and re-entering the shanty causes representations of the contents of all the chests/iceboxes are outside, but if you open the chest the contents are also inside. Do you want me to also submit this via the bug report button?

Yeah, that's a bug that slipped in today. We're working on pushing a fix.

Hello,

To be honest, the performance issues are not limited to Hamlet. They have been there for quite a while now. I have a 3k day megabase which is basically unplayable. It used to be, but for some reason not anymore, which means that something must have changed in the past few months. There are indeed performance issues as well in hamlet where I sometimes get down to 40fps during nights, rains and so on, but nothing compared to the absurd low fps I get in my megabase (down to 6 when it's night and I'm in a middle of a lot of entities, which means basically anywhere in my base).

My point is, DS has something seriously wrong in terms of performance, and I cannot pinpoint what it exactly is. My ram and processor are not even that busy but I still get very low fps at all times (these are not fps drops as in Hamlet). But what bothers me most is it wasnt always that way, I used to be able to play in my megabase (or I would have definitely stopped playing before reaching this number of days) so for some reason something happened recently. Is it linked to the arrival of Hamlet ? I'm not quite sure because the performance issues started quite a while ago but it might still be connected since maybe some Hamlet content has been introduced slowly in the game for a while.

Should I post a performance report even in my SW/RoG world ? Is there anything else I can provide to help at least compensate this issue ? I would not mind having like 30 fps in my base, it would still be playable at least.

Thanks for reading.

• Thanks 1

• Developer
On 11/24/2018 at 10:51 AM, MonsieurO said:

Should I post a performance report even in my SW/RoG world ? Is there anything else I can provide to help at least compensate this issue ? I would not mind having like 30 fps in my base, it would still be playable at least.

Yes, you should, I would love to see it and it's a nice benchmark. Although my primary focus is on finding performance issues introduced by Hamlet at this point, it may point me in directions I hadn't considered otherwise.

As for whether the arrival of Hamlet caused performance differences in the base game, it's pretty unlikely, nothing really changed engine-side that would explain that, and if you run a non-compatible world the game sees no Hamlet files.

• Thanks 1

I just saw in another thread, someone pulled the LUA Script for a character. If Don't Starve is using scripting for a lot of stuff, its going to have frame-drops...

I remember back in the day, I used to script for Neverwinter Nights, and we had to be careful because too much scripting, to big of scripts, would cause the servers to feel like they were lagging; Then Neverwinter Nights 2 came out, and despite people having high end machines, the game still had frame-loss, slowdowns, whatever you want to call it (kids call it "lag" these days, even though that's not technically correct.)

And the reason (IMO) Neverwinter Nights 2 had issues was not graphical, as many people on the forums complained and thought, but scripting. They wanted to make something big, and over-scripted.

On 01/12/2018 at 4:45 AM, bizziboi said:

Yes, you should, I would love to see it and it's a nice benchmark. Although my primary focus is on finding performance issues introduced by Hamlet at this point, it may point me in directions I hadn't considered otherwise.

I just did it. When I logged in my world, it was even worst than usual with 5 fps constant in my base (it was nighttime, so it makes is worse). I can provide even more information if needed as : my pc config, the current usage of ram / processor when I'm in the world, and so on. Please let me know if that would help.

I understand that your priority is on enhancing Hamlet's performance since the release is soon, so I'll be patient.

• Thanks 1

Hey uh, my game runs smoothly most of the time, but whenever I explore the jungle during Humid or Lush season (depends on how long it took me to get there) and the Rabid Beetles spawn from their casings in large numbers, my framerate gets extremely low and I can barely move to run away. 

Take into consideration that when it's just 3-7 rabid beetles the framerate's normal, but the thing is, I rarely just get that amount of rabid beetles following me. It's like 30 beetles, so much that I have to activate godmode to wait until my game unfreezes properly.

Anyone else having this problem too?

• Like 2

Hello,

I just want to say that I will do the performance report. I'm having a lot of lag in my game to the point its impossible to play. I'm on day 40. Save slot 1. 

I tried to lower the settings and it didn't make any better. I tried everything to make the FPS go higher I closed programs. I cleaned the cache of my PC and nothing worked. Its still impossible to play. The game feels really heavy. 

I can not understand what is going on. I stopped aporkalypse once by using Aporkalypse Calendar. Now i have aporkalypse again. Problem is that i can not stop in anymore. I am stopping it and it is stopping But it stars Again when new day started.

I have already three try to stop it and it happens again exactly on the next day...

4 hours ago, bizziboi said:

It seems that would be a good idea for machines that are low on graphics memory.

And maybe an option to  disable decorating vines and overlay vine moving while in the deep forest. Have an option to disable tall grass spraying would be good too.

2 hours ago, zIOZ said:

And maybe an option to  disable decorating vines and overlay vine moving while in the deep forest. Have an option to disable tall grass spraying would be good too.

I mean the Overlay of the Vine is like a feature, however making it stay still can do better

• Like 1