If you have performance issues in Hamlet, your input could help

15 hours ago, RomanticOutlaw said:

is anyone else having resolution issues? My game looks like a pixelated mess.. EXCEPT for my player character and the exposition chameleon, so I know it's not an issue with the actual resolution I chose.

Is netbook mode turned on in the settings? 

On 16/11/2018 at 3:45 PM, bizziboi said:

Hi,

As people have noted, Hamlet is can suffer performance problems. 

Part of this would be side effects of early access, part of this because Hamlet is more demanding on a system than the previous DLC,

In order to get a good insight on what exactly causes specific performance issues I could use your help - if you are experiencing bad performance, it would be great if you could upload a performance profile.

The easiest way would be as follows.

1. If you're in a world with bad performance open the debug console by pressing '~'
  2. Type
    GetProfile()
    ...followed by enter
  3. Wait a few seconds, the output should say 'Profiler Stopped' indicating that a profile was saved.
  4. Save the game and return to the main menu
  5. Go to the 'Options' menu and once there click 'Report Bug'
  6. In the description please mention that it's a performance report, and preferably what save slot.
  7. Press 'Submit' and it should send us your save along with the profile data

(Since the game only keeps track of the latest profile, please don't try to send multiple profile reports in one bug submission. If you for some reason wanted to send multiple performance reports - for different levels or if you believe a particular situation needs attention, you'd have to capture a new a performance profile for that one, after you send the previous one, and submit a separate bug report for the new one)

Thanks, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

I don't know what you've done, but Hamlet is running very well here, without any lag

• Developer
6 minutes ago, Generalteo said:

game did a patch right now but i still have the bug where my Hamlet save plays in 1-3 frames per second... it's completely unplayable..

Could you please upload a profile as detailed in the first post of this topic?

Ok i found it. a guy in a stream told me right now and i solved it. he had the same problem. it's a bug with the sprinkler.
when you build a sprinkler and you are far from it you start getting these enormous frame drops. you have to go and turn your sprinkler off. if you are very close to it you can have it on but only there. i turned off my sprinkler and it worked.
 I don't know if many people have this bug but i post it here so you know.
thanks for the fast replies!

Unfortunately my extreme stuttering/fps drops whilst in the ruins have not been improved with the newest update.

I've sent another bug report in the hopes of helping you guys out with the issue. The stutters started getting worse and worse as the in-game days went on, but only in the ruins surprisingly enough. Seeing how unlike in the game world, on the inside of the ruins there's not much renewable items, I have no idea what could be the issue.

• Thanks 1

• Developer
2 hours ago, Generalteo said:

Ok i found it. a guy in a stream told me right now and i solved it. he had the same problem. it's a bug with the sprinkler.
when you build a sprinkler and you are far from it you start getting these enormous frame drops. you have to go and turn your sprinkler off. if you are very close to it you can have it on but only there. i turned off my sprinkler and it worked.

I still wouldn't mind seeing a profile from when that happens!

1 hour ago, Roosev said:

I've sent another bug report in the hopes of helping you guys out with the issue.

I suspect I just saw your bug report, but you didn't take the profile when performance was bad it seems. (think it was you, it mentioned really bad performance in ruins, save slot 2?)

Seems the profile was taken when performance wasn't bad, because update and render take about 4ms which means a very smooth 60fps(well, theoretically it would be 250fps but the game caps at 60)

• Thanks 1

• Developer

Hmmm, I may need to do another post on this, and I will also try to add more performance related info to the logfile when a profile is recorded.

If you take a profile, please take it when the performance is bad, a save from that moment would potentially also help. It seems to be (generally) a specific set of circumstances that causes slowdown, and I hope to find those. Every profile helps, for sure, so thanks for everyone who sends them, but I try to get as much from tehm as I can :)

I'd also be interested to know if the performance stays bad after a quit to main menu and reload, or if it gradually builds up during a gameplay session but cleans itself up when returning to the menu.

And as mentioned before - adding your forum name to the comment will allow me to inquire further on your specfic issue.

4 hours ago, bizziboi said:

I suspect I just saw your bug report, but you didn't take the profile when performance was bad it seems. (think it was you, it mentioned really bad performance in ruins, save slot 2?)

Seems the profile was taken when performance wasn't bad, because update and render take about 4ms which means a very smooth 60fps(well, theoretically it would be 250fps but the game caps at 60)

This worked for me. I had just created and placed the sprinkler and went back to town when I experienced this issue. My framerate was around 1-2 fps. After looking at the post above, I painfully went back to the sprinkler (which normally is a 45 sec trip but with the slow framerate took about few minutes) and as soon as I was a screen away from the sprinkler, my framerate improved back to normal. I turned off the sprinkler and went back to town and my framerate remained normal. Thank you Bizziboi for posting the work around. 

I was unable provide my profile because when I run "GetProfile()", the game crashes. I'm on a 2017 fully spec'ed out MacBook Pro. Below is the error I get when running "GetProfile()".

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Edited by muddpiemojo
  • Thanks 1

• Developer
56 minutes ago, muddpiemojo said:

This worked for me. I had just created and placed the sprinkler and went back to town when I experienced this issue. My framerate was around 1-2 fps. After looking at the post above, I painfully went back to the sprinkler (which normally is a 45 sec trip but with the slow framerate took about few minutes) and as soon as I was a screen away from the sprinkler, my framerate improved back to normal. I turned off the sprinkler and went back to town and my framerate remained normal

Thanks, i will definitely look into that. I had a sprinkler running earlier and had no issue. Did you have specific plants nearby? Could you perhaps attach the save with that sprinkler? I really hope to nail that one specifically.

57 minutes ago, muddpiemojo said:

I was unable provide my profile because when I run "GetProfile()", the game crashes. I'm on a 2017 fully spec'ed out MacBook Pro. Below is the error I get when running "GetProfile()".

Hmmm, I'll try it on my Macbook as well. pretty sure I did, and I do have reports from OSX, but maybe something is off somehow. What version of OSX are you running?

I really appreciate the help!

7 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Thanks, i will definitely look into that. I had a sprinkler running earlier and had no issue. Did you have specific plants nearby? Could you perhaps attach the save with that sprinkler? I really hope to nail that one specifically.

Hmmm, I'll try it on my Macbook as well. pretty sure I did, and I do have reports from OSX, but maybe something is off somehow. What version of OSX are you running?

I really appreciate the help!

I'm running the latest Mac OS, Mojave with auto update turned on. I had 10 nettle vines near the sprinklers. I would be happy to attach the save. How would I be able to do that? 

I just realized that I planted the nettle vines in the wrong turf. I thought I would add that as it may be relevant to troubleshooting the error. Attached is a screenshot of my nettle vine farm setup. Note: I am playing with a few mods, however when I experienced the error, I disabled all of them and still had the issue. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 4.19.36 PM.png

Edited by muddpiemojo
More information

9 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Yeah, it's the same exact save slot that I was playing on.

The fact it doesn't happen on your end makes me think it could be something on my end that's the issue. Is there a possibility it could be something on my end? Because I swear, it only starts stuttering inside (any) of the ruins.

I might try playing the save slot on a different computer, see if that helps.

Anyway, I did record a video so that you can see what I mean by the stuttering: (feel free to skip the loading part, it takes a while) (also, keep an eye on the FPS counter in the top right corner of the screen!)

The stuttering does get worse as you play longer, almost like a memory leak. The video was recorded as soon as I've started the game.

I will probably record another video once the stuttering gets really bad once I get the time. Is very strange.

PC Build is:

I5-4690k (oc'd to 4.5ghz)

GTX 1070

16GB RAM DDR3

Mind you I do generally keep the computer clean from bloatware and I run minimum tasks in the background. Newest drivers.

Generally runs on the newest Windows 10 update.

Another thing I should probably say is that this is the only save that the stuttering happens on. I've made new saves in Hamlet (only got to day 10s in those so far), in which the stuttering does not occur. (yet)

Anyway, hope this helps!

Edited by Roosev

• Developer
8 hours ago, muddpiemojo said:

I would be happy to attach the save. How would I be able to do that? 

Hi, if you refer to the link below, it tells you where to find it. The filename would be "porkland_<saveslotnumber>", so if it's in slot 2, it'd be porkland_2.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Roosev said:

The stuttering does get worse as you play longer, almost like a memory leak. The video was recorded as soon as I've started the game

Okay. That sounds suspect, I'll take another look.

Thank you both for the details :) - needless to say the game should run well on your setups.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

Hi, if you refer to the link below, it tells you where to find it. The filename would be "porkland_<saveslotnumber>", so if it's in slot 2, it'd be porkland_2.

Thanks!

Thank you both for the details :) - needless to say the game should run well on your setups.

You bet. Did you forget the link?

• Developer
1 minute ago, muddpiemojo said:

No problem! The link above says, "Run 'GetProfile()' " in the console. When I run this, the game crashes with the error above. I am using Steam to access the game.

Oh man. First I forget the link, then I paste the wrong link.

I hope it's not going to be one of those days......

That, cross my heart, is the actual link.
Sorry about that.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

Oh man. First I forget the link, then I paste the wrong link.

I hope it's not going to be one of those days......

That, cross my heart, is the actual link.
Sorry about that.

No worries! I'm a programmer as well so I get it. I bet you are trying to jungle many things at the same time and the conversations are starting to get confusing. 

Thanks, that linked worked. Here are my saved files. 

Saved Game.zip

Edited by muddpiemojo
grammar
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

Thanks!

You're welcome. Just to let you know, I did try the save game on a different computer:

Q6600 @3.2ghz

AMD 7770 1GB

8GB DDR3

And the stutters are still there, and they're even worse than on the previous computer!

I think that something went wrong inside of that save game. Could be an extremely unlucky scenario, but I think that it should still be investigated.

I'm sorry I can't help anymore. I can send another bug report if you think it could help? Though considering that the first save I've sent is the same one, it might be a bit redundant.

• Developer
2 minutes ago, Roosev said:

I think that something went wrong inside of that save game. Could be an extremely unlucky scenario, but I think that it should still be investigated.

I agree. It could be a common problem or a rare scenario, I'd like to be aware of it and hopefully fix it. Another save game shouldn't be necessary, unless you run into something that seems to be a 'different' slow down. Hard to put into words what I mean by that, but you'll know when it happens :)

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1