Some Hamlet Feedback (Longtime player, long message, very disappointed)

I've been playing DS since 2013 when I saw someone playing it on YouTube. I really enjoyed the original game, I probably spent 500+ hours in it (I played the standalone client, so don't have Steam record). I'm really sorry to say, but I think it has been downhill ever since. I feel it necessary to give some context from the other expansions to help illustrate what I don't like about Hamlet. I'd rate original DS 5 stars, ROG 4, SW 3, and Hamlet 2.  If there is another expansion after this one, I don't expect I'll be buying it, given the trend. Each expansion is getting less fun for me and it makes me really sad since I used to enjoy classic so much. ROG gave me lots more items to manage, but didn't increase my inventory space. ROG is when I started using the mod enabling Backpack + Armor where previously I felt like it would be cheating. How can you give me more items to juggle without increasing my inventory space? ROG gave me less time to explore and build, and more seasonal crap to juggle. Wetness and overheating are terrible. SW continued that trend, and made exploration more difficult and seasonal events even harder to deal with. I look fondly upon Don't Starve, so it pains me to give negative feedback, but I just have to say some of these things.

I'm not enjoying Hamlet. Ultimately what I feel I've wanted from all the expansions is to build upon the original experience I had with Don't Starve. None of them have done that (ROG came closest). Instead, each expansion has increased the tedium, and given me more bullcrap to have to deal with to the point that I can't enjoy the sandbox building and exploring side of the game anymore. The base game had lots of fun stuff to do, and just enough threats to keep the game interesting. Every expansion since (including Hamlet) has taken away from the parts of the game I like in order to give me more tedious weather & misc bullcrap to have to deal with. I enjoy exploring, crafting, and building the most. In classic the only thing that got in the way of that was keeping warm in winter and learning the safest way to fight each kind of bad guy. I don't like having to juggle tons of different seasonal outfits (ROG onward). I don't like inventory management (finding, sorting, storing hundreds of different items). I don't like anything that takes away from exploration/building/farming, such as tedious weather effects, enemies that steal or destroy my crap, my base bursting into flames, anything (including anything that causes rapid sanity loss) that forces me to engage in combat that I don't want (terrorbeaks, hounds/bats, etc)

In classic DS, I kept all of the difficult mapgen settings, but in ROG I started turning down the difficulty of things I didn't like (wildfire, the seasonal bosses, rain). In SW I did even more (calm season max length, others max short, no poison). I feel like in order to enjoy Hamlet, I'm going to have to disable or mod half of the new features because I don't like them. I never asked for a harder Don't Starve, I always wanted more content for classic Don't Starve. Unfortunately Hamlet seems to just be hardmode rather than anything new. Every expansion seems bent on ramping up difficulty, giving me more junk items to juggle without increasing my inventory size, and adding imbalanced risk vs reward events. Here's what I don't like.

*I dug up some regular grass, planning to plant it near my base and harvest it without needing shears. Nope. Once planted, it transformed into the thick version of grass. Very disappointing. Being able to transplant regular grass would be highly valuable. No point in digging anything up in Hamlet.

*Fog. I hate it. When fog sets in, I feel like just logging out of the game because I hate it so much. I have to unequip my stuff so I can move, I get wet, and I can't see. Additionally it is BLINDING! Who had the great idea to make 90% of my screen bright white during fog anyway? At the very least, Fog should be *ONE* thing to deal with, not 3. Wetness, limited visibility, or slow movement wearing items - pick one and go with that. Additionally, change the fog color from BRIGHT WHITE to dark grey or something.

*Fog can take my wetness up to 50+? That is stupid. I've always hated the wetness mechanic, but the idea of getting sopping wet just by standing in fog is insane! On my last game I had a slow start and was unprepared for wetness. Day 11 was foggy, day 12 was rainy, my wetness was max and I lost 100 points of sanity in no time. Then I had to fight 4 or 5 terrorbeaks back-to-back and died by running out of resources. I hate it. If you expect me to deal with wetness by day 11-12, then you need to give me the resources to be able to counter it by then. The way things are, I have been unable to collect enough resources to make dry clothes by the time I need them. At the very least you need to put the parasol item back in.

*I'm having a very hard time keeping my sanity up. In a normal game I'd wear a top hat most of the time to maintain my sanity levels. I killed 6 or 8 of the spider monkeys and only walked away with 3 silks - not enough to make a hat, so that option is out. I tried picking the lotus flowers, but they don't seem to regrow often enough to be of use. Also a creature (didn't catch name) spawned and ate a bunch of them before I could collect more than about 4. I finally did manage to get a top hat, but then it was foggy and I couldn't wear it. There isn't enough meat to make jerkey either. Am I expected to spend my time farming oincs and buying meat from the grocer pig? Because I don't like that. At the very least, receiving an oinc from a pig should give me +5 sanity. Wetness and sneezing take my sanity down faster than I can keep it up and I do not like this at all. Most of the sanity-restoring clothes are missing from Hamlet too! 

*Inventory management SUCKS! In the base game, there were just enough slots to carry the items I needed. Now, even with the mod that lets me use backpack + armor, there isn't enough space. I've got 7-8 tools at all times, I need 2 empty slots for my armor and hat to unequip when fog comes, I need basic resources (grass, twigs, flint, logs), and then I'm full. No room to carry anything else. Base inventory space should be doubled to 30 slots, or else take out some of these unnecessary items. I used to think that using the mod for armor + backpack was cheating, but my opinion of that changed when you added more items but didn't increase my inventory space to accommodate. I want to play a survival sandbox, not an inventory management game.

*Repeat from my feedback during ROG + Shipwrecked: Wetness takes too much sanity! It should take 5 per day AT MOST, or else drying off should be easier. Stand near a fire for 15 seconds = reduce wetness to zero. Why does wetness go down SLOWER than sanity? I think I lose 10 points of sanity for 1 point of wetness and its really stupid. Sanity takes a lot of effort to refill, but getting wet again is stupid easy. It is imbalanced. I think wetness should go down at least 25x faster than sanity. I always found wetness to be really tedious because it always leads to insanity (terrorbeaks). Getting wet shouldn't be this dangerous. Again, why is there no parasol? I need to have a means to counter wetness that is available early and at a low cost, but you explicitly took the parasol out. Also a bug report of a very old bug: After drying off, my items are often still listed as wet, and that keeps my sanity going down! Items should be dry once my wetness is zero.

*A big theme with Hamlet seems to be really thin resources, and most things being non-renewable. I don't like this at all. There should be wild berry bushes, rabbit holes, or some other kind of basic renewable food. There should be more flint, more gold, and more seeds. I don't like having to buy all my (farm) seeds from the merchant. Also the trees should drop seeds of some kind to be renewable all seasons. I've bought pinecones at the pig village, but they just don't seem to grow as fast as they did in the base game. Normally I make a science machine, then a lightning rod (5 gold total). In a recent game, I only had 3 gold by day 12. The season changed, lightning struck and burned down my base. I just gave up out of despair.

*I don't like the Cork Bat. When I first saw it, I assumed it was an alternate weapon to use that didn't need flint. Nope. Its too slow and awkward to use, and has inadequate durability. It should be upped to 50-100 uses, and either have its speed normalized, or its damage doubled. Left unchanged, I expect to not use it at all.

*Seasons change too rapidly. If seasons change every 10-12 days, it isn't enough time to gather resources and build the necessary clothes to survive the seasons. In a normal game, I'd spend the first week finding gold and exploring, then the second week building some essential infrastructure and preparing for the next season. There just isn't time to do all that with the rapid season change.

*Vampire Bat attacks are too frequent and too powerful. I'm lucky to have a spear and wood armor for the second attack on day 8-9, nevermind the first attack. One attack per season would be plenty. On day 16, I got a bat spawn during fog. I don't know how many bats there were, but I died. Can't wear armor during fog, and can't see...unbelievable. I think it was at least 5 bats. The frequent bat spawns ramp up in difficulty too quickly. If I'm supposed to fight 5+ bats, at least wait until I have better than a spear and wooden armor. 

*I seem to need snake skins to make dry clothes, but they're really rare and chopping down trees usually gives me scorpions instead. Then I get poisoned, then I have to waste oincs on a poison cure. I hate it. I should be able to make my own poison cure, and there should be alternate ways of getting dry clothes than snake skins. This seems to be a big theme in Hamlet - needing resources to counter the weather, but having extremely limited options for doing so. At least in classic we had a dozen different pieces of winter clothes to get and any of them would suffice. Hamlet just has ONE solution for every problem and I don't like that.

*I don't like the gnat swarms. Just like poison in shipwrecked, these things suck! If I can get infected on day 1/no science machine, I should be able to cure them on day 1/no science machine. This is exactly the kind of crap that stops me from enjoying the game. Either keep gnats from appearing until day 7ish, or give me a "flyswatter" recipe, 1 twig/1 grass/no science machine required. The cure for this should not be gated behind a science machine plus a moderately strong mob. This is EXACTLY like poison when Shipwrecked came out - get infected early on = delete file and start over. 

*The robber pig (forgot name) knocked all the coins out of my inventory. Then the guard pigs and villagers decided to help him pick up all of MY COINS from the ground, instead of helping me fight him. Unbelievable. Pigs shouldn't be stealing MY STUFF. If a pig takes my stuff I should be able to kill it and get my item back, without any penalty. 100% unbalanced tedium. You've made Hamlet a game about very scarce resources, then you put in this bullcrap that can take away what little I do have. I don't like it one bit.

*Cooked slugs and jumping beetles still drain my sanity - why? They should be safe to eat after being cooked. Why not just have more monster meat instead of 2 new items to take up more inventory space? 

*I don't like the allergy/hayfever mechanic. I don't like dropping up to 6+ items at random, and I don't like this seasonal effect coming up on me before I have the opportunity to develop a way to deal with it. It sucks to get stunned by sneezing when hostile creatures are near, and it sucks to sneeze near pigs because they pick up lots of my stuff. It sucks to lose so much sanity every time I sneeze. It sucks that going inside doesn't stop the sneezing. Also, I can't freaking see! Why does Hamlet need Fog and Hayfever to take away my vision? I don't like it at all. Limit sneezing to 3 times per day, and remove the sanity loss and item dropping - getting stunned is enough. Give me a medicine item to craft that blocks sneezing for a week. Remove it altogether, I don't care. I hate it. It is extremely unfun.

Note: Later I found that eating Seed Pods can reduce sneezing. Why is this? It is not obvious, and if I hadn't read this online I'd have never discovered this in a million years. Also it doesn't prevent sneezing for long enough. It doesn't even last 1 whole minute. To survive the season I'd need to chop down whole forests for these seed pods. Same for the nettles. I'd have never guessed to use these to stop hayfever. Also, why are the nettles UNAVAILABLE when I need them? This whole thing is so stupid. Why does every season have to have stupid sanity draining stuff, in a map where you've disabled most of the sanity-restoring clothing? Hamlet is so unbalanced for this, and many other reasons that its stupid. Why do I feel like I need to cheat and use the console command to restore my sanity? Very unbalanced. Terrorbeaks in Humid season for wetness, Terrorbeaks in Lush season for sneezing... I really hate it.

*Brambles suck. Hamlet is so hardcore that it even takes away my freedom of movement. I hate it.

*Pig guard decides to attack something at night? Hello massive fires permanently destroying everything! 

*Snakes shouldn't spawn so early in a new game. On a recent game, I spawned a total of 5 snakes from the first 3 trees I chopped. Really? Why do I have to deal with so much crap like this before I have the chance to develop a way of countering it? At least in the original game, Treeguards didn't spawn for the first few days until I had a chance to get armed. Somebody seems to have forgotten that forcing us into combat before we're ready isn't a good idea.

*I very much dislike the whole premise of Hamlet in that I have to give crap to pigs to earn oincs to buy stuff with. I hate fetch quests. I hate daily quests. I hate running around town looking for the "right" pig to give stuff to. Also I hate the 1-item-per-day limit. Where classic DS was a sandbox, I feel like Hamlet is forcing me down a very specific path, and severely limiting the parts of the game that I enjoy. I often spend a whole day running around the pig village, tracking down pigs to give them crap, then running back to the other side to visit a store. I hate it, it is an enormous waste of time. The very LEAST you should do is let me give pigs unlimited items per day, and cut the size of the pig villages in half or more. There is just no need for walking around all this empty space hunting down the right pig, and by removing the item limit there'd be no need for more than 1 of each kind of pig per village. Basically, I think the right size for the whole village would be 2 screens, any bigger is a waste of time. I miss Don't Starve being a lonely game. I like new content, I like an excuse to go replay an old favorite, but I don't like the way Hamlet is working out at all. I'd love to just genocide the stupid pigs, but that would cut me out of tons of resources, as Hamlet seems to be set up to need the pig villages. I really hate it.

As I've been writing this, I've noticed a recurring theme. I dislike anything that takes away my player agency and control. In classic DS I only had to deal with hounds and wearing warm clothes in winter. I was free to gather, explore, and build as I desired with only minor accomodations. In the original game, discovering something new was fun and exciting. Everything that has come after is getting worse and worse to the point that I want to stop playing as soon as my gameplay is interrupted by rain, fog, hayfever, bat attacks, etc. I want to explore, build, and discover, and only the original game accommodated that playstyle. Everything after has been too much crap to juggle that interrupts my gameplay. Rain/fog/volcanoes/etc are not part of the game to me, rather they are an interruption of the game. ROG gave me more items to juggle without more inventory space to accommodate it, and introduced the obnoxious wetness and overheating mechanics that I don't like. SW made exploring stupidly time consuming, kept the worst parts of ROG, and had unforgiving difficulty with things like poison and volcano eruptions. Hamlet now introduces extreme resource scarcity and an NPC economy. I don't like it at all. I think each expansion should have added 5 more inventory slots to accommodate new items, but somehow you expect me to scrape by with the same 15 slots I had in classic. There are just too many tools and crap to carry around now with the same space I had in classic with far fewer items. As Hamlet stands, it gets two thumbs down from me. I hoped to get more of what I liked from classic Don't Starve, and hoped to sink another 500+ hours into Hamlet. Instead I've got about 30 hours into it and I'm ready to quit already. Hamlet is not the Don't Starve I fell in love with, and it is not a game I want to play. I feel like Hamlet should be a standalone game, because to me it is not Don't Starve. I think the best way to expand on DS would be to add new stuff to the main game, not introduce new, incompatible game modes like SW and Hamlet did; additionally it should expand the sandbox elements of the game and not add tons of new bullcrap to get in the way of that.I wish I knew Hamlet would be like this so I wouldn't have gotten excited for it. Hamlet requires an extremely different playstyle to what I enjoy. I'm extremely disappointed with Hamlet and can't recommend it. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be hateful or anything. I'm trying to be constructive. I'm just very sad and disappointed.

I read your post because I was bored. I'm sad for you. No insult intended.

They obviously can't make everyone happy all the time, and I'm sorry this wasn't just an expansion to the original game.

I had the same feeling the first couple of times through. This new one is so bizarre and some things are just really really hard to accomplish. I almost feel that reading a wikia or walk-though guide on Hamlet is necessary, as I don't know how new players will even know what to do with the fog, humidity, sneezing, and more.

However, after I did figure this stuff out, the game became so much more fun.

The main thing I love about this expansion is that its not just survival anymore. Yes, if you die.. you're still dead for good, but there are so many different ways to approach the game. You can live with the crickets in their honey caves (as a spy), you can buy a house, you can camp outside like normal, you can live in the ruins, or even make your own little island near the endgame.

I hardly ever died in the original games. Even shipwrecked, but man on man.. this game is beating me pretty badly. Everything wants my skin and blood.. I love it.

Don't abandon all hope, I truly wish you someday find something about this game to love as I have.

Il y a 1 heure, ng23985 a dit:

Je joue à DS depuis 2013, quand j'ai vu jouer sur YouTube. J'ai vraiment apprécié le jeu original. J'y suis probablement passé plus de 500 heures (j'ai joué avec le client autonome, donc je n'ai pas de disque Steam). Je suis vraiment désolé de dire, mais je pense que la situation est en baisse depuis. Je pense qu'il est nécessaire de donner un peu de contexte aux autres extensions pour illustrer ce que je n'aime pas chez Hamlet. J'évaluerais les étoiles 5 étoiles d'origine, ROG 4, SW 3 et Hamlet 2. S'il existe une autre extension après celle-ci, je pense que je l'achète, compte tenu de la tendance. Chaque extension devient moins amusante pour moi et cela m'a rendu vraiment triste, car j'aimais tellement le classique.ROG m'a donné beaucoup plus à gérer, mais n'a pas augmenté mon espace. ROG, c'est quand j'ai commencé à utiliser le mode via Sac à dos + armure où j'avais l'impression de tricher. Peut-être que je donne plus d'objets à partir du moment où j'augmente mon espace? ROG m'a donné moins de temps pour explorer et construire, et plus de conneries saisonnières pour jongler. La moiteur et la surchauffe sont terribles. SW a cela et une exploration du coût réel. Je regarde affectueusement pas mourir de faim, donc il était pénible de donner des commentaires négatifs, mais je dois juste dire ces choses. et rend l'exploration plus difficile et les événements saisonniers encore plus difficiles à gérer.Je regarde affectueusement pas mourir de faim, donc il était pénible de donner des commentaires négatifs, mais je dois juste dire ces choses. et rend l'exploration plus difficile et les événements saisonniers encore plus difficiles à gérer. Je regarde affectueusement pas mourir de faim, donc il était pénible de donner des commentaires négatifs, mais je dois juste dire ces choses.

Je ne profite pas de Hamlet. En fin de compte, ce que je souhaite dans toutes les extensions, c'est de tirer parti de l'expérience originale que j'ai vécu avec Don't Starve. Aucun d'entre eux n'a fait cela (ROG est venu le plus proche). Au lieu de cela, chaque agrandissement a lieu, et nous avons donné plus de problèmes à gérer que nous ne pouvions plus profiter de la construction d'un bac à sable et de l'exploration du côté du jeu. Le jeu de base avait beaucoup de choses amusantes à faire et juste assez de menaces pour garder le jeu intéressant. Depuis, chaque extension (y compris Hamlet) correspond aux parties du jeu que j'aime bien afin de me donner un temps, plus rapide et plus divers problèmes. J'aime explorer,En classique, on a choisi qui a empêché cela, c'était de rester au chaud en hiver et d'apprendre le moyen de faire sans risque chaque type de méchant. Je ne suis pas parti de ROG. Je n'aime pas la gestion des stocks. Je n'aime pas les activités qui nuisent à l'exploration / la construction / agriculture, les effets qui ennuient les ennemis qui me volent ou me détruisent, ma base qui s'enflamme, tout ce qui est à l'origine d'une perte de santé mentale rapide) m'oblige à engager un combat que je ne veux pas (terrorbents, chiens de chasse, chauves-souris, etc.)

Dans DS classique, j'ai arrêté tous les ajustements difficiles de Mapgen, mais dans ROG, j'ai commencé à refuser la difficulté de ce que je n'aimais pas (feu de forêt, les boss saisonniers, la pluie). En SW, j'en ai fait plus (longueur maximale de la saison calme, maximum des autres, aucun poison). Je pense que pour pouvoir profiter de Hamlet. Je ne suis jamais demandé de plus en plus de mourir de faim, j'ai toujours Voulu, plus de contenu verser le ne pas mourir de faim classique. Malheureusement, Hamlet semble n'être que du hard-mode plutôt que du neuf.Chaque extension semble être augmentée, difficile à mesurer, facile à augmenter, taille de inventeur et événements déséquilibrés par rapport aux récompenses. Voici ce que je n'aime pas.

* J'ai déterré de l'herbe ordinaire, dans l'intention de planter près de ma base et de récolter sans avoir besoin de cisailles. Nan. Une fois planté, il s'est transformé en version épaisse de l'herbe. Très décevant. Pouvoir de transplantation de l'herbe normale serait très précieux. Inutile de creuser quelque chose dans Hamlet.

* Brouillard. Je déteste ça. Quand le brouillard s'installe, j'ai envie de me déconnecter du jeu parce que je le déteste tellement. Je dois déséquiper mes affaires pour pouvoir bouger, je suis mouillé et je ne vois pas. En plus c'est aveuglant! Quelle est la bonne idée de rendre 90% de mon écran blanc brillant quand il y a du brouillard? UN SEUL est un problème de gestion. Humidité, visibilité limitée ou mouvements, objets perdus. De plus, changez la couleur du brouillard de BRIGHT WHITE en gris foncé ou quelque chose du genre.

* Le brouillard peut prendre mon humidité jusqu'à 50+? C'est bête. J'ai toujours détesté le mécanicien de l'assurance, mais l'idée de se mouiller juste en restant dans le brouillard est dingue! Lors de mon dernier match, mon départ était été et je n'étais pas préparé à l'époque. Le jour 11 était brumeux, le jour 12 était pluvieux, mon humidité était maximale et j'ai perdu 100 points de santé mentale en un rien de temps. Ensuite, j'ai dû affronter 4 ou 5 terrorbeaks à dos et je suis mort en manque de ressources. Je déteste ça. Si vous vous attendiez à ce que vous soyez sur la route d'ici 11 à 12 jours, vous devez me donner les ressources nécessaires pour pouvoir contrôler d'ici là.De la façon dont les choses se passent, je n'ai pas pu rassembler assez de ressources pour confectionner les vêtements secs au moment où j'en ai besoin. À tout le moins, vous devez remettre le parasol à l'intérieur.

* J'ai beaucoup de mal à garder ma santé mentale. Dans un jeu normal, je fais de mon temps mental. J'ai tué 6 ou 8 des chansons araignées et je ne suis pas parti pour faire. J'ai essayé de cueillir les fleurs de lotus, mais elles n'étaient pas repoussées assez souvent. De plus, une créature (apparemment n'a pas attrapé son nom) est apparemment en et mangé plusieurs fois avant que je puisse le collectionner 4. J'ai finalement réussi à me procurer un haut-de-forme, mais il y avait de la brume et je ne pouvais pas le porter. Il n'y a pas assez de viande pour faire du jerkey non plus. Suis-je censé passer mon temps en culture et acheter de la viande de porc de l'épicier? Parce que je n'aime pas ça.À tout le moins, recevez un cochon d'un cochon devrait me donner +5 de santé mentale. La moitié et les éternités sont rapidement devenus santé mentale. La plupart des vêtements qui restaurent la santé mentale 

* La gestion des stocks SUCE! Dans le jeu de base, il y avait assez de machines à transporter pour les objets dont j'avais besoin. Maintenant, même avec le mod qui permet de passer de sac à dos + armure, il n’est pas assez d’espace. J'ai 7-8 outils en tout temps, j'ai besoin de 2 emplacements pour mon armure et mon chapeau pour me déséquiper lorsque le brouillard arrive, j'ai besoin de ressources de base (herbe, brindilles, silex, bûches), puis je suis rassasié. Pas de place pour un autre transporteur. L'espace doit être doublé pour atteindre 30 emplacements, sinon vous pouvez supprimer certains de ces éléments inutiles. J'avais l'habitude de penser que j'utilisais le mod pour armure + sac à dos était une tromperie,Je veux jouer à un bac de survie ou à un jeu de gestion.

* Répéter de mes commentaires pendentif ROG + Naufragés: L'humidité prend trop de raison! Cela devrait prendre 5 fois par jour au maximum, sinon le passer passer facilement. Rester près d'un feu pendant 15 secondes. Pourquoi est-ce que passer moins vite que la santé mentale? Je pense que je perds 10 points de santé mentale pour 1 point d'humidité et c'est vraiment stupide. La demande d’impact d’une maintenance sanitaire est nouvelle mais facile à facile. C'est déséquilibré. Je pense que je devrais aller au moins 25 fois plus vite que la santé mentale. J'ai toujours trouvé que la moitié était vraiment fastidieuse parce qu'elle conduisait toujours à la folie (terrorbeaks). Se connecter ne devrait pas être aussi dangereux.Encore une fois, pourquoi n'y a-t-il pas de parasol? Il faut un moyen de lutter contre l'auto, disponible rapidement et à faible coût, mais vous avez explicitement retiré le parasol. Également un rapport de très vieux bogue: Après le séchage, mes articles sont souvent rappelés Les articles doivent être restés une fois que ma moiteur est à zéro.

* Un grand thème avec Hamlet semble être des ressources très maigres, et tout ce qui est non renouvelables. Je n'aime pas ça du tout. Il devrait y avoir des aliments de base, des pantalons ou un autre type de nourriture renouvelable. Il devrait y avoir plus de silex, plus d'or et plus de graines. Je n'aime pas acheter toutes mes graines (de ferme) au marchand. De plus, les arbres sur l'eau. J'ai acheté des pommes de pin au village du cochon, mais elles ne semblent pas non plus croître aussi vite que dans le jeu de base. Normalement, je fabrique une machine scientifique, puis un paratonnerre (5 pièces au total). Dans un match récent, je n'avais que 3 médailles d'or au jour 12. La saison a changé,Je viens d'abandonner par désespoir.

* Je n'aime pas la chauve-souris en liège. Quand j'ai vu la première fois, j'ai supposé que c'était une arme alternative qui ne nécessitait pas de silex. Nan. Il est trop lent et difficile à utiliser et est insuffisante. Il devrait passer à 50-100 utilisations, et soit avoir sa vitesse normalisée, soit ses dégâts doublés. Laissé inchangé, je m'attends à ne pas penser du tout.

* Les saisons changent trop rapidement. Si les saisons changent tous les 10 à 12 jours, le temps manque pour rassembler des ressources et confectionner les vêtements nécessaires pour survivre au fil des saisons. Dans un jeu normal, je passe la première semaine à chercher de l'or et à explorer, puis la deuxième semaine à construire des infrastructures essentielles et à préparer la saison suivante. Il n'est que tout simplement pas le temps de faire tout cela avec le changement rapide de saison.

* Les attaques de souris souris sont trop fréquentes et trop puissantes. J'ai eu la chance d'avoir lancé et armé de bois pour la deuxième fois les jours 8 à 9, mais pas la première. Une attaque par saison serait très utile. Au jour 16, j'ai eu un pont de souris dans le brouillard. Je ne sais pas combien il était de chauves-souris, mais je suis mort. Ne peut pas porter d'armure dans le brouillard, et ne peut pas voir ... incroyable. Je pense que c'était au moins 5 chauves-souris. Les apparitions fréquentes de souris-souris sont trop rapidement en difficulté. Si je suis censé combattre plus de 5 chauves-souris, assistez à moins que vous lancez et lancez du bois. 

* Il me semble que j'ai besoin de peaux de serpents pour confectionner des vêtements secs, mais ils sont vraiment rares et abattre des arbres me donne généralement des scorpions. Ensuite, je me fais empoisonner, puis je perds ma vie en cure de poison. Je déteste ça. Je devrais être capable de faire ma propre cure de poison, et devrais avoir d'autres moyens d'obtenir des vêtements nuls que des peaux de serpent. Cela semble être un thème important dans Hamlet - avoir besoin de ressources pour faire face aux conditions, mais avoir des options extrêmement limitées pour faire. Sur celui de la douzaine de vêtements, en moins différent de tous après. Hamlet une solution juste pour chaque problème et je n'aime pas ça.

* Je n'aime pas les essaims de moucherons. Tout comme le poison des naufragés, ces choses sont nulles! Si je peux être infecté le jour 1 / pas de machine scientifique, je devrais être capable de guérir le jour 1 / pas de machine scientifique. C'est exactement le genre de merde qui m'empêche d'apprécier le jeu. Vous pouvez soit empêcher les moucherons d'apparaître jusqu'au 7ème jour, soit me donner une recette de "mouche à la mouche", 1 brindille / 1 herbe / aucune machine scientifique requise. Le remède à cela ne devrait pas être un secret derrière une machine scientifique et une foule modérément forte. C'est EXACTEMENT comme un poison quand Naufragés est sorti - s'infecter tôt = supprimer le fichier et recommencer. 

* Le cochon brigand (nom oublié) a déclaré toutes les pièces de mon inventaire. Puis les gardes cochons et les villageois ont décidé de récupérer toutes les pièces du sol au lieu de m'aider à combattre. Incroyable. Les porcs ne doivent pas voler MON STUFF. Si un cochon prend mes affaires, je devrais être capable de tuer et de récupérer, sans aucune pénalité. 100% d'ennui déséquilibré. Vous avez fait de Hamlet un jeu sur les ressources très rares, puis vous avez mis dans cette bulle qui peut enlever le peu que j'ai. Je n'aime pas ça du tout.

* Les limaces cuites et les coléoptères sauteurs drainent encore ma santé mentale - pourquoi? Ils seraient sans danger pour manger après avoir été cuits. Pourquoi ne pas simplement avoir plus de viande au lieu de 2 nouveaux articles pour occuper plus d'espace de stockage? 

* Je n'aime pas le mécanicien allergie / rhume des foins. Je n'aime pas laisser tomber plus de 6 objets au hasard, et je n'aime pas ce que je devais avant que je puisse développer un moyen de le gérer. Il est nul de pouvoir être étouffé par les éternuements lorsque les créatures hostiles sont à proximité et il est nul de pouvoir éternuer près de cochons parce qu'ils ramassent beaucoup de mes affaires. Il est nul de faire des sujets de santé mentale, chaque fois que j'éternue. Ça craint que d'entrer à l'intérieur n'arrête pas les éternuements. Aussi, je ne peux pas voir paniquer! Pourquoi Hamlet a-t-il besoin de brouillard et de rhume des foins pour me priver de ma vision? Je n'aime pas du tout.Limitez les éternuements à 3 fois par jour et supprimez les problèmes de santé mentale et les chutes que vous êtes étourdi, cela suffit. Faire-être-être-faire-être-être-être-un-un-un. Enlevez-le complètement, je m'en fiche. Je déteste ça. C'est extrêmement non drôle.

Remarque: Plus tard, j'ai découvert que la consommation de semences peut être réduite. Pourquoi est-ce? Ce n'est pas évident et je n'avais pas lu ceci, je ne l'aurais jamais découvert en un million. En outre, cela n'empêche pas les éternuements assez longtemps. Cela ne dure même pas une minute entière. Pour survivre à la saison, il faudrait abattre des forêts entières pour ces gousses. Même a choisi pour les orties. Je n'aurais jamais deviné les utiliser pour arrêter le rhume des foins. Aussi, pourquoi les orties sont-elles INDISPONIBLES quand j'en ai besoin? Toute cette affaire est tellement stupide. Pourquoi chaque saison doit-elle avoir des trucs stupides qui s'écoulent de la santé mentale?Hamlet est tellement déséquilibré pour cela et bien d'autres raisons que c'est stupide. Pourquoi est-ce que je ressens le besoin de serveur et de console de commande pour restaurer ma santé mentale? Très déséquilibré.

* Ronces sucer. Hamlet est tellement hardcore qu'il me prend même la liberté de mouvement. Je déteste ça.

* Le cochon garde décide d'attaquer quelque chose la nuit? Bonjour les incendies massifs détruisant en permanence tout! 

* Les serpents ne devraient pas apparaître si tôt dans un nouveau jeu. Sur un jeu récent, j'ai engendré un total de 5 serpents parmi les 3 premiers arbres que j'ai coupés. Vraiment? Pourquoi est-ce que je dois faire face à de telles conneries comme celle-ci avant de pouvoir développer un moyen de contrer? Treeguards n'a pas apparu pendant les premiers jours jusqu'à ce que je puisse m'armer. Quelqu'un semble avoir oublié ce que nous sommes obligés de combattre avant que nous soyons prêts n'est pas une bonne idée.

* Je n'aime pas beaucoup l'idée de Hamlet ce que je dois donner de la mer aux porcs pour gagner de l'argent avec qui acheter. Je vais aller chercher des quêtes. Je déteste les quêtes quotidiennes. Je déteste courir à la recherche du "bon" qui donne des choses. De plus, je déteste la limite d'un article par jour. Là où la DS était un bac à sable, j'ai l'impression que Hamlet m'oblige à suivre un chemin très spécifique et à limiter sévèrement les aspects du jeu que j'aime. Je passe souvent la journée à courir dans le village du cochon, à traquer les cochons pour leur donner la merde, à courir de l'autre côté pour visiter un magasin. Je déteste ça, c'est une énorme perte de temps.La MOINS est que vous soyez vous-même pour être des cochons du jour. Il n'est pas nécessaire de vous promener dans tout cet espace vide à la recherche du bon porc, et à supprimer la limite des articles, il n'a pas besoin d'un cochon par village. Fondamentalement, je pense que la bonne taille pour tout le village serait de 2 écrans, une grande perte de temps. Ne me faites pas mourir de faim, ça me manque. J'aime le nouveau contenu, J'aime bien une excuse pour retrouver un vieux favori, mais je n'aime pas tout le style dont Hamlet fonctionne. J'adorerais simplement génoculer les stupides cochons, mais cela me couperait des tonnes de ressources, comme Hamlet semble être créé pour avoir besoin de villages de cochons.Je déteste vraiment ça.

En écrivant ceci, j'ai remarqué un thème récurrent. Je n'aime pas tout ce qui est privé de mon agence de joueur et de contrôle. Dans la DS classique, je n'avais que faire face aux chiens et aux vêtements chauds en hiver. J'étais libre de rassembler, d'explorer et de construire mon logement avec mineurs. Dans le jeu original, découvrez quelque chose de nouveau était amusant et excitant. Ceci est un être-être-être-être-être-être-être-être-être-être-être-être-être-l'eau-du-temps, le brouillard, le rhume des monnaies, les attaques de chauves- souris, etc. Je souhaite explorer, construire et découvrir, et uniquement le jeu original adapté. Tout ce qui a été compliqué pour que vous jouiez entre vos parties.La pluie / le brouillard / les volcans / etc ne font pas partie du jeu, mais constituent plutôt une interruption du jeu. ROG m'a donné d'autres objets à installer et à mettre en place, ainsi que les mécanismes odieux de sur et de la surchauffe que je n'aime pas. SW a rendu l'exploration qui prenait le temps, conservait les parties du ROG et avait des difficultés impitoyables avec des choses comme le poison et les éruptions volcaniques. Hamlet introduit maintenant une rareté extrême des ressources et une économie de PNJ. Je n'aime pas du tout. 5 positions additionnelles pour accueillir de nouveaux articles, mais vous attendez de toute façon à ce que j'aille à mon compte avec les mêmes 15 emplacements que j'avais dans Classic.Il y a juste trop d'outils et de merde à transporter maintenant avec le même espace que dans Classic avec beaucoup moins d'objets. Au moment où Hamlet se lève, il me sourit. J'espérais obtenir plus de ce que j'aimais du classique Don't Starve, et espérait plonger encore plus de 500 heures dans Hamlet. Au lieu de cela, j'ai environ 30 heures de travail et je suis déjà prêt à arrêter de fumer. Hamlet n'est pas non plus mort de faim dont je suis tombé amoureux, et ce n'est que je pense qu'Hamlet devrait être un jeu autonome, car pour moi ce n'est pas mourir de faim.En outre, il faudrait étendre les éléments du bac et ne pas ajouter de nouvelles bulles pour empêcher cela. Je voudrais savoir que Hamlet serait comme ça, donc je ne me serais pas excité pour cela. Hamlet, un style de jeu extrêmement différent de celui que j'apprécie. Je suis extrêmement déçu de Hamlet et je peux le recommander. Je suis désolé, je n'essaie pas d'être quoi. J'essaie d'être constructif. Je suis juste très triste et déçu.

This game wants your death, most mobs want your death, the season, the ecosystem, the environment wants you dead.
The goal of a survival game is that you have to do what you can to survive,
it limits you in your last retrenchments. I totally love RoG, SW and Hamlet, I find original DS, 
I'm really happy during the hurricane season when the wind destroys my tree plantations, 
when the monsoon water covers my whole island and I'm prepared with sandbags, because the goal is not 
only survival, but you must have the necessary abilities, so to understand the mechanisms of the game to
survive. And that's what I like, especially when I have the satisfaction of having beaten the boss, because
I thought, I analyzed it. What DS could not do / did RoG, SW and Hamlet did with exceptional quality, each 
DLC are original, in their most complex ways. Unfortunately for you, you have locked yourself into
a habit that only takes into account exploration, Do not Starve is not a cute game or you have flowers
to make you a crown of flowers, no, it is hostile, mean, horrible, bloodthirsty, like nature that has existed
for a very long time now, and I hope later.
 However, SW is my favorite, it transcribes almost perfectly the survival game.

I'm sorry you didn't like it. Personally, I find the management difficulty and world changes fun, and I love the increased struggle to find every resource and the more dangerous environment. It makes getting situated more dangerous and makes me feel more rewarded for eking out a space and surviving the dangers of fog, brambles, and everything else that occurs. I've never really had any fog related sanity problems either - have you tried the Pith Hat? It lets you walk with a backpack in fog at regular speed and lowers the wetness uppage.

Also, chop down the spidermonkey trees, don't kill them. They're renewable and the trees drop more silk than the monkeys do.

To lose the gnats, walk near a thunder bird at dusk. 

Put your oincs in backpack to avoid the robber stealing them.

I agree with your point that pig partnership feels mandatory for survival in this game, especially with bats being a pressing issue that comes much harder than other waves.

Snakes die to three axe strikes - you can kite, right? 

Again, I hope a game or mod comes out that works better for your playstyle. Hamlet is very specific in gameplay and I can see why many who came to the original Don't Starve wouldn't like it.

41 minutes ago, BadlyBurned said:

fog, humidity, sneezing

Simple, trial and error I discovered on my own, on third or fourth play through without reading it's actually quite logical if you do put your mind to it... Issue I have is that UI is so tedious, it makes everything cluttered and hard to explore, easy to miss key items.

So far, I haven't referenced to wikia about anything and I will admit some things are still mystery to me, but that's part of the game and experience. If you are talking about newcomers to DS .... I would never recommend them throwing money on hamlet,sw and rog. They need to get feel of the game, pure vanilla.

But this expansion is ruthlessly hard, especially for those who are fond of DS vanilla "sandbox" approach, where the biggest challenge is just to survive your first winter. After that, it's matter of repetitive cycle and come up with things to achieve do, because if you don't game is just endless boredom.

RoG brought more moving parts to the game, introduced new mechanics and give end-game some meaning. But it didn't really enhanced my experience that much. Sure, new shiny features and critters and creatures ... held my interest but didn't really give me more to look forward to in the game (I played RoG for many hours mainly because of active development of Heros in The Dark).

SW did for me what RoG failed and sure it wasn't perfect, but with updates it became nice polished experience. Hamlet is exactly what I was hopping for and with ability to jump between words it gives ultimate experience when I now play DS.

Sorry to hear you don't like the difficulty curve of the expansion and the different vision game has, but give it a shot. Hamlet gives so many different ways to play the game, once you learn the basis of survival and get familiar with introduced mechanics.

Wow and here I am, the exact opposite. I need danger and impending catastrophes to let me enjoy the exploration and give me a reason to do it in a smart and diligent way. To plan fun bases and get involved.

Vanilla DS had nothing on RoG for me. It was too monotone and easy, there was no reason to go out and try my best.

41 minutes ago, ng23985 said:

I don't like having to juggle tons of different seasonal outfits (ROG onward). I don't like inventory management (finding, sorting, storing hundreds of different items). I don't like anything that takes away from exploration/building/farming, such as tedious weather effects, enemies that steal or destroy my crap, my base bursting into flames, anything (including anything that causes rapid sanity loss) that forces me to engage in combat that I don't want (terrorbeaks, hounds/bats, etc)

Hounds I've gotten used to, as they're part of the classic DS setup, but, yeah...I HATE Shipwrecked monkeys, stay away from caves and just don't base too close to open sinkholes (and whenever someone is about to mine one near base in DST I'm like "STOP!!")  One thing nice about the RoG stuff, is that sometimes the same weather item can do double duty. Like, don't put your umbrella away just because spring is over--it helps with summer too!  I used to go through ALL the different summer-mitigating items in RoG including exotic stuff like wearing a chilled amulet, and eventually simplified my summer "outfit" down to just:  Umbrella, thermal stone, stuff to make a small endo fire when necessary.  Sometimes a straw hat.  Shade from trees when convenient.  It works.  (shrug)  Is it a pain?  Yes it is, especially when I have to make TWO fires at night and waste double the withering grass so I can cook whatever I found during the day, but I can survive, as long as summer isn't so long that it wipes out all the resources I need before it's over. 

54 minutes ago, ng23985 said:

*I dug up some regular grass, planning to plant it near my base and harvest it without needing shears. Nope. Once planted, it transformed into the thick version of grass. Very disappointing. Being able to transplant regular grass would be highly valuable. No point in digging anything up in Hamlet.

Wait WHAT?!  I didn't even know this!  :(  I heard normal grass was harder to _find_, but I always thought once you had it it'd stay...itself...

57 minutes ago, ng23985 said:

*Inventory management SUCKS! In the base game, there were just enough slots to carry the items I needed. Now, even with the mod that lets me use backpack + armor, there isn't enough space. I've got 7-8 tools at all times, I need 2 empty slots for my armor and hat to unequip when fog comes, I need basic resources (grass, twigs, flint, logs), and then I'm full. No room to carry anything else. Base inventory space should be doubled to 30 slots, or else take out some of these unnecessary items. I used to think that using the mod for armor + backpack was cheating, but my opinion of that changed when you added more items but didn't increase my inventory space to accommodate. I want to play a survival sandbox, not an inventory management game.

Hoo boy, feel ya there.  I run out of inventory space WAY faster than normal in Shipwrecked, and in Hamlet...well I haven't lived long enough yet for that to be a problem.  Aheh. I've also been conservative about exploring and haven't, say, gone into any of the ruins yet, so...

1 hour ago, ng23985 said:

Why does wetness go down SLOWER than sanity? I think I lose 10 points of sanity for 1 point of wetness and its really stupid. Sanity takes a lot of effort to refill, but getting wet again is stupid easy. It is imbalanced. I think wetness should go down at least 25x faster than sanity. I always found wetness to be really tedious because it always leads to insanity (terrorbeaks). Getting wet shouldn't be this dangerous. Again, why is there no parasol? I need to have a means to counter wetness that is available early and at a low cost, but you explicitly took the parasol out.

I KNOW!!  I was _so surprised_ when I saw the parasol wasn't even listed!  I mean, first of all why, and secondly...it even LOOKS right in Hamlet!  Doesn't it look like an accessory the lady pigs would be carrying around?  I think it does!  #bringbackmyparasol

I'm not sure about the exact numbers/percentages on sanity drain vs. wetness, but yeah, I always thought it was kinda odd that your sanity went down faster _while you were drying off_.  In RoG/Together that's become only a minor problem, but in Shipwrecked, I always spent SO MUCH TIME attempting to prepare for wind and/or poison that by the time hurricane season came around I wasn't also ready for _rain_ and/or lightning, so...

*A big theme with Hamlet seems to be really thin resources, and most things being non-renewable. I don't like this at all. There should be wild berry bushes, rabbit holes, or some other kind of basic renewable food. There should be more flint, more gold, and more seeds. I don't like having to buy all my (farm) seeds from the merchant. Also the trees should drop seeds of some kind to be renewable all seasons.

YEEESSSS...I really miss the rabbit holes or equivalent, and even early on I could tell I was running out of food.  Almost NOTHING WAS JUST THERE TO GET.  I found myself desperately eating seeds off the ground; unless you're Wigfrid on a spring start it shouldn't be NECESSARY to get a crock pot up and running by Day 2-3.  In RoG/Together I can live at least a little bit semi-nomadically for several days while scouting out my base location (or an entire year, if I'm doing a challenge) but here...what am I supposed to eat, for good filling early-game food?  Tubers that still poison you EVEN AFTER BEING COOKED?  I mean, I know _raw_ potatoes are bad for you in real life, but this is just ridiculous!

Absolutely EVERYTHING seems to require you to get gold really early...for crockpots, for armour when hunting, etc. and gold is EVEN.  HARDER.  TO GET.  THAN IN SHIPWRECKED.  And in _that_ expansion pack, stupid monkeys follow you around and the very second you finish mining the ONE gold rock you found on the whole island, what do they steal?  That.  One.  Exact.  Thing.

Apparently you can find gold in the temples--what, go in there without even a GRASS suit, are you _nuts_?!!  #bringbackmygrasssuittooplease  I even tried to chase down a Pangolden, without any armour at all and only a machete! They run away like Koalephants.  :(

*Seasons change too rapidly. If seasons change every 10-12 days, it isn't enough time to gather resources and build the necessary clothes to survive the seasons. In a normal game, I'd spend the first week finding gold and exploring, then the second week building some essential infrastructure and preparing for the next season. There just isn't time to do all that with the rapid season change.

...wait WHAT?!!  _Another_ thing I didn't even know--perhaps because I haven't lived past day 8 yet on account of sudden unexpected poison.  Dude, I was just assuming the season _lengths_ were the same as in every other version!  They still are in Shipwrecked!   Note that while I like to mess with season lengths on purpose...that's in DST, where while you might suddenly find yourself freezing one day and overheating the next, you don't have to worry about disease, sneezing, poison, wind, or fog. I even survived a summer start once (out of extreme luck).  However...

*I don't like the gnat swarms. Just like poison in shipwrecked, these things suck! If I can get infected on day 1/no science machine, I should be able to cure them on day 1/no science machine. This is exactly the kind of crap that stops me from enjoying the game. Either keep gnats from appearing until day 7ish, or give me a "flyswatter" recipe, 1 twig/1 grass/no science machine required. The cure for this should not be gated behind a science machine plus a moderately strong mob. This is EXACTLY like poison when Shipwrecked came out - get infected early on = delete file and start over.

Or at least they shouldn't STAY WITH YOU FOR _SO FREAKING LONG_!!  I swear, I was just _amazed_ and aghast at how long it took me to ditch one gnat swarm when I happened to wander slightly too close to them just one time. They took even longer to give up than a Tallbird _when you HAVE stolen its egg_!  That is RIDICULOUS.  At _least_ have them give up after you've run a good distance from their nest areas.

*Cooked slugs and jumping beetles still drain my sanity - why? They should be safe to eat after being cooked. Why not just have more monster meat instead of 2 new items to take up more inventory space? 

I KNOW...again, see also:  tubers and poison.  It seems like Hamlet does have new "free" resources...but almost NOTHING you can eat safely plain.

*Snakes shouldn't spawn so early in a new game. On a recent game, I spawned a total of 5 snakes from the first 3 trees I chopped. Really? Why do I have to deal with so much crap like this before I have the chance to develop a way of countering it? At least in the original game, Treeguards didn't spawn for the first few days until I had a chance to get armed. Somebody seems to have forgotten that forcing us into combat before we're ready isn't a good idea.

Again, at LEAST bring back the _grass_ suit!  It may not be much but at least I won't feel so creepy wandering into potential/actual combat with absolutely _nothing_ between me and attacks but my clothes.  And yeah...that's an excessive amount of snakes.  Even Shipwrecked jungle trees are lookin' at that and going "DAMN, son!"

The very LEAST you should do is let me give pigs unlimited items per day, and cut the size of the pig villages in half or more

I dunno about unlimited, but yeah, definitely more than one per day.  As soon as I found out "YAY, I actually have a resource someone wants, finally I can perhaps buy something!" I found out that they didn't want any more of it.  Sigh.  (As for the hay fever and fog, etc. I haven't run into that yet personally, but the reason _why_ not is--say it with me, everybody!--I died before the first season change.)

All in all, I can tell what they were TRYING to do, and I like the idea of houses, a town, and an NPC economy _existing_, in general.  Yet I feel that the basic resources one can scrounge for oneself need to be a bit more plentiful or safe, so that it isn't as fully NECESSARY to interact with the economy right at the beginning.  Just give us the parasol, the grass suit, some berry bushes (or equivalent), some rabbits (or equivalent), and some GOD.  DAMNED.  _GOLD_!! so we don't have to stay at desperate caveman level forever, and we'll call it even. 

Heck, even just the gold, so I wouldn't _need_ the grass suit so fast and would be able to cook the poisonous stuff into safe stuff, would work.  Just...SOMETHING.  This is even _more_ scarce and mean than Shipwrecked, and I...well I've never made it past the second season, with that.  :(

Hamlet?  Even more so.  Which is a shame, 'cos it's so pretty and full of new stuff, that I WANT to be able to actually experience for myself!

...Notorious

I don't really understand the problem with food. There is a lot of butterflies all around the island, the jungle plant monsters give you nectar and leafy meat, you can use traps to get squirells and frogs (they won't be poisonous once you dry them), you can steal berry bushes from the pig guards that are further away from the city, the poop is everywhere so you can easly make a lot of farms, you can easly regenerate your sanity with dried meat. And of you need some meat, smash some unimportant pillars inside a cave, pick up a moleworm once it falls then release it near your base so that it can make a nest and you get a morsel every dusk. Once the third season arrives, you can get a lot of non poisonous tubers that can regenerate your sanity once cooked. 

If you suffer from the rain and fog then go inside the caves or ruins and explore them. You might even consider building your base in one, since they give you complete protection from the elements at the cost of being dark (they won't drain your sanity in daytime . Tho you have to keep the farms outside since they tend to disappear while inside a cave) 

Don't have enough space? Then don't carry unnecesary tools all the time. 

The whole time I was reading this the only thing I got from it was how you though it was hard, unlike the original and to linear.

as for the first one I completely disagree the Nats do maybe 5 damage if you hit every once and a while, poison isn’t that hard to avoid and tall grass isn’t remotely annoying enough to say shovels are worthless and resources such as gold can be found easily.

as for it being unlike the original that is one of the best things about Klei because their dlcs arnt the same thing over again or just content packs that don’t add any challenge.

as for thinking it linear because of the town I don’t really get at all as I don’t spend much time there and onics are so easy to get it’s sad.

overall I respect your opinion but in the end maybe this game isn’t for you

I think the problem is that you are too use to the idea of knowing how to solve x problem with y and z. Lets take this quote for example, " In classic DS I only had to deal with hounds and wearing warm clothes in winter". I can take just about any problem you had with hamlet and make the solution sound just as easy and painless by changing the words in bold with their hamlet equivalent.

Spoiler

In Hamlet I only had to deal with fog and wearing a pith hat in Humid season.

Now that is not to say that you don't have some very legitimate concerns. And I think klei and everyone else would be more than happy that you shared them. Sounds being muffled in the fog being reversed was probably in part due to feedback just like this.

Lets say that isn't it at all and you only want to base build in don't starve instead of surviving. Why not do that? Stop lying to your self that mods are cheating and play the way you want. Don't lie about what you are doing. Cheating would be skipping to day 10000 with commands and telling everyone you did that without commands. Or even do both. Have a modded run and a vanilla run. You don't have to choose between them.

3 hours ago, ng23985 said:

I've been playing DS since 2013 when I saw someone playing it on YouTube. I really enjoyed the original game, I probably spent 500+ hours in it (I played the standalone client, so don't have Steam record). I'm really sorry to say, but I think it has been downhill ever since. I feel it necessary to give some context from the other expansions to help illustrate what I don't like about Hamlet. I'd rate original DS 5 stars, ROG 4, SW 3, and Hamlet 2.  If there is another expansion after this one, I don't expect I'll be buying it, given the trend. Each expansion is getting less fun for me and it makes me really sad since I used to enjoy classic so much. ROG gave me lots more items to manage, but didn't increase my inventory space. ROG is when I started using the mod enabling Backpack + Armor where previously I felt like it would be cheating. How can you give me more items to juggle without increasing my inventory space? ROG gave me less time to explore and build, and more seasonal crap to juggle. Wetness and overheating are terrible. SW continued that trend, and made exploration more difficult and seasonal events even harder to deal with. I look fondly upon Don't Starve, so it pains me to give negative feedback, but I just have to say some of these things.

I'm not enjoying Hamlet. Ultimately what I feel I've wanted from all the expansions is to build upon the original experience I had with Don't Starve. None of them have done that (ROG came closest). Instead, each expansion has increased the tedium, and given me more bullcrap to have to deal with to the point that I can't enjoy the sandbox building and exploring side of the game anymore. The base game had lots of fun stuff to do, and just enough threats to keep the game interesting. Every expansion since (including Hamlet) has taken away from the parts of the game I like in order to give me more tedious weather & misc bullcrap to have to deal with. I enjoy exploring, crafting, and building the most. In classic the only thing that got in the way of that was keeping warm in winter and learning the safest way to fight each kind of bad guy. I don't like having to juggle tons of different seasonal outfits (ROG onward). I don't like inventory management (finding, sorting, storing hundreds of different items). I don't like anything that takes away from exploration/building/farming, such as tedious weather effects, enemies that steal or destroy my crap, my base bursting into flames, anything (including anything that causes rapid sanity loss) that forces me to engage in combat that I don't want (terrorbeaks, hounds/bats, etc)

In classic DS, I kept all of the difficult mapgen settings, but in ROG I started turning down the difficulty of things I didn't like (wildfire, the seasonal bosses, rain). In SW I did even more (calm season max length, others max short, no poison). I feel like in order to enjoy Hamlet, I'm going to have to disable or mod half of the new features because I don't like them. I never asked for a harder Don't Starve, I always wanted more content for classic Don't Starve. Unfortunately Hamlet seems to just be hardmode rather than anything new. Every expansion seems bent on ramping up difficulty, giving me more junk items to juggle without increasing my inventory size, and adding imbalanced risk vs reward events. Here's what I don't like.

*Fog. I hate it. When fog sets in, I feel like just logging out of the game because I hate it so much. I have to unequip my stuff so I can move, I get wet, and I can't see. Additionally it is BLINDING! Who had the great idea to make 90% of my screen bright white during fog anyway? At the very least, Fog should be *ONE* thing to deal with, not 3. Wetness, limited visibility, or slow movement wearing items - pick one and go with that. Additionally, change the fog color from BRIGHT WHITE to dark grey or something.

*Fog can take my wetness up to 50+? That is stupid. I've always hated the wetness mechanic, but the idea of getting sopping wet just by standing in fog is insane! On my last game I had a slow start and was unprepared for wetness. Day 11 was foggy, day 12 was rainy, my wetness was max and I lost 100 points of sanity in no time. Then I had to fight 4 or 5 terrorbeaks back-to-back and died by running out of resources. I hate it. If you expect me to deal with wetness by day 11-12, then you need to give me the resources to be able to counter it by then. The way things are, I have been unable to collect enough resources to make dry clothes by the time I need them. At the very least you need to put the parasol item back in.

*I'm having a very hard time keeping my sanity up. In a normal game I'd wear a top hat most of the time to maintain my sanity levels. I killed 6 or 8 of the spider monkeys and only walked away with 3 silks - not enough to make a hat, so that option is out. I tried picking the lotus flowers, but they don't seem to regrow often enough to be of use. Also a creature (didn't catch name) spawned and ate a bunch of them before I could collect more than about 4. I finally did manage to get a top hat, but then it was foggy and I couldn't wear it. There isn't enough meat to make jerkey either. Am I expected to spend my time farming oincs and buying meat from the grocer pig? Because I don't like that. At the very least, receiving an oinc from a pig should give me +5 sanity. Wetness and sneezing take my sanity down faster than I can keep it up and I do not like this at all. Most of the sanity-restoring clothes are missing from Hamlet too! 

*Repeat from my feedback during ROG + Shipwrecked: Wetness takes too much sanity! It should take 5 per day AT MOST, or else drying off should be easier. Stand near a fire for 15 seconds = reduce wetness to zero. Why does wetness go down SLOWER than sanity? I think I lose 10 points of sanity for 1 point of wetness and its really stupid. Sanity takes a lot of effort to refill, but getting wet again is stupid easy. It is imbalanced. I think wetness should go down at least 25x faster than sanity. I always found wetness to be really tedious because it always leads to insanity (terrorbeaks). Getting wet shouldn't be this dangerous. Again, why is there no parasol? I need to have a means to counter wetness that is available early and at a low cost, but you explicitly took the parasol out. Also a bug report of a very old bug: After drying off, my items are often still listed as wet, and that keeps my sanity going down! Items should be dry once my wetness is zero.

*A big theme with Hamlet seems to be really thin resources, and most things being non-renewable. I don't like this at all. There should be wild berry bushes, rabbit holes, or some other kind of basic renewable food. There should be more flint, more gold, and more seeds. I don't like having to buy all my (farm) seeds from the merchant. Also the trees should drop seeds of some kind to be renewable all seasons. I've bought pinecones at the pig village, but they just don't seem to grow as fast as they did in the base game. Normally I make a science machine, then a lightning rod (5 gold total). In a recent game, I only had 3 gold by day 12. The season changed, lightning struck and burned down my base. I just gave up out of despair.

*I don't like the Cork Bat. When I first saw it, I assumed it was an alternate weapon to use that didn't need flint. Nope. Its too slow and awkward to use, and has inadequate durability. It should be upped to 50-100 uses, and either have its speed normalized, or its damage doubled. Left unchanged, I expect to not use it at all.

*Vampire Bat attacks are too frequent and too powerful. I'm lucky to have a spear and wood armor for the second attack on day 8-9, nevermind the first attack. One attack per season would be plenty. On day 16, I got a bat spawn during fog. I don't know how many bats there were, but I died. Can't wear armor during fog, and can't see...unbelievable. I think it was at least 5 bats. The frequent bat spawns ramp up in difficulty too quickly. If I'm supposed to fight 5+ bats, at least wait until I have better than a spear and wooden armor. 

*I seem to need snake skins to make dry clothes, but they're really rare and chopping down trees usually gives me scorpions instead. Then I get poisoned, then I have to waste oincs on a poison cure. I hate it. I should be able to make my own poison cure, and there should be alternate ways of getting dry clothes than snake skins. This seems to be a big theme in Hamlet - needing resources to counter the weather, but having extremely limited options for doing so. At least in classic we had a dozen different pieces of winter clothes to get and any of them would suffice. Hamlet just has ONE solution for every problem and I don't like that.

*The robber pig (forgot name) knocked all the coins out of my inventory. Then the guard pigs and villagers decided to help him pick up all of MY COINS from the ground, instead of helping me fight him. Unbelievable. Pigs shouldn't be stealing MY STUFF. If a pig takes my stuff I should be able to kill it and get my item back, without any penalty. 100% unbalanced tedium. You've made Hamlet a game about very scarce resources, then you put in this bullcrap that can take away what little I do have. I don't like it one bit.

*I don't like the allergy/hayfever mechanic. I don't like dropping up to 6+ items at random, and I don't like this seasonal effect coming up on me before I have the opportunity to develop a way to deal with it. It sucks to get stunned by sneezing when hostile creatures are near, and it sucks to sneeze near pigs because they pick up lots of my stuff. It sucks to lose so much sanity every time I sneeze. It sucks that going inside doesn't stop the sneezing. Also, I can't freaking see! Why does Hamlet need Fog and Hayfever to take away my vision? I don't like it at all. Limit sneezing to 3 times per day, and remove the sanity loss and item dropping - getting stunned is enough. Give me a medicine item to craft that blocks sneezing for a week. Remove it altogether, I don't care. I hate it. It is extremely unfun.

Note: Later I found that eating Seed Pods can reduce sneezing. Why is this? It is not obvious, and if I hadn't read this online I'd have never discovered this in a million years. Also it doesn't prevent sneezing for long enough. It doesn't even last 1 whole minute. To survive the season I'd need to chop down whole forests for these seed pods. Same for the nettles. I'd have never guessed to use these to stop hayfever. Also, why are the nettles UNAVAILABLE when I need them? This whole thing is so stupid. Why does every season have to have stupid sanity draining stuff, in a map where you've disabled most of the sanity-restoring clothing? Hamlet is so unbalanced for this, and many other reasons that its stupid. Why do I feel like I need to cheat and use the console command to restore my sanity? Very unbalanced. Terrorbeaks in Humid season for wetness, Terrorbeaks in Lush season for sneezing... I really hate it.

*Brambles suck. Hamlet is so hardcore that it even takes away my freedom of movement. I hate it.

*Pig guard decides to attack something at night? Hello massive fires permanently destroying everything! 

*I very much dislike the whole premise of Hamlet in that I have to give crap to pigs to earn oincs to buy stuff with. I hate fetch quests. I hate daily quests. I hate running around town looking for the "right" pig to give stuff to. Also I hate the 1-item-per-day limit. Where classic DS was a sandbox, I feel like Hamlet is forcing me down a very specific path, and severely limiting the parts of the game that I enjoy. I often spend a whole day running around the pig village, tracking down pigs to give them crap, then running back to the other side to visit a store. I hate it, it is an enormous waste of time. The very LEAST you should do is let me give pigs unlimited items per day, and cut the size of the pig villages in half or more. There is just no need for walking around all this empty space hunting down the right pig, and by removing the item limit there'd be no need for more than 1 of each kind of pig per village. Basically, I think the right size for the whole village would be 2 screens, any bigger is a waste of time. I miss Don't Starve being a lonely game. I like new content, I like an excuse to go replay an old favorite, but I don't like the way Hamlet is working out at all. I'd love to just genocide the stupid pigs, but that would cut me out of tons of resources, as Hamlet seems to be set up to need the pig villages. I really hate it.

As I've been writing this, I've noticed a recurring theme. I dislike anything that takes away my player agency and control. In classic DS I only had to deal with hounds and wearing warm clothes in winter. I was free to gather, explore, and build as I desired with only minor accomodations. In the original game, discovering something new was fun and exciting. Everything that has come after is getting worse and worse to the point that I want to stop playing as soon as my gameplay is interrupted by rain, fog, hayfever, bat attacks, etc. I want to explore, build, and discover, and only the original game accommodated that playstyle. Everything after has been too much crap to juggle that interrupts my gameplay. Rain/fog/volcanoes/etc are not part of the game to me, rather they are an interruption of the game. ROG gave me more items to juggle without more inventory space to accommodate it, and introduced the obnoxious wetness and overheating mechanics that I don't like. SW made exploring stupidly time consuming, kept the worst parts of ROG, and had unforgiving difficulty with things like poison and volcano eruptions. Hamlet now introduces extreme resource scarcity and an NPC economy. I don't like it at all. I think each expansion should have added 5 more inventory slots to accommodate new items, but somehow you expect me to scrape by with the same 15 slots I had in classic. There are just too many tools and crap to carry around now with the same space I had in classic with far fewer items. As Hamlet stands, it gets two thumbs down from me. I hoped to get more of what I liked from classic Don't Starve, and hoped to sink another 500+ hours into Hamlet. Instead I've got about 30 hours into it and I'm ready to quit already. Hamlet is not the Don't Starve I fell in love with, and it is not a game I want to play. I feel like Hamlet should be a standalone game, because to me it is not Don't Starve. I think the best way to expand on DS would be to add new stuff to the main game, not introduce new, incompatible game modes like SW and Hamlet did; additionally it should expand the sandbox elements of the game and not add tons of new bullcrap to get in the way of that.I wish I knew Hamlet would be like this so I wouldn't have gotten excited for it. Hamlet requires an extremely different playstyle to what I enjoy. I'm extremely disappointed with Hamlet and can't recommend it. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be hateful or anything. I'm trying to be constructive. I'm just very sad and disappointed.

I assume you failed to read the disclaimer when you first started Hamlet, because if you did you would have realized that everything in Hamlet is much harder than SW, ROG, and the base game, because the disclaimer literally says that.

2 hours ago, Steefy_92 said:

Nope it's not true. I already done that and they get stolen makes no difference.

The Masked Pig will not spawn if ALL of your coins are in your backpack. If you have some in your inventory and he hits you then the coins in your backpack will fall on the floor as well as the ones in your inventory, so yes, it is in fact true, you can avoid the Masked pig by putting coins in your bag.

Building are not permenantly destroyed rebuild them with hammer or let construction pigs do it.. Frankly if you think ROG even fell short then idk what to say because the base game was very simplistic in comparison and has only been improved on.. Literally almost every part of the base game is in all the expansion and really more integrated in Ham compared to SW.

This was a long read, you put a lot of thought and emotion into this post so it's unfair to not credit your opinion. 

My advice? Stick with it, try it again in a month after early access, shift your perspective on it and give it another go.

When I got Shipwrecked on release I HATED IT!

Getting poisoned and being doomed to die was stupid, rain season was impossible to deal with, hopping to 7 different garbage islands was frustrating, feeling like I was being punished for making a base, ect ect. So I quit.

Tried it a few months later and started really falling in love with it. Breeding the Doydoys is awesome, searching for the volcano and Yaargapus, figuring out the best time to set up oil production to start having renewable boats, It's such a wonderful change of pace from ROG and DST, both amazing as independent games and while together.

I hope you can learn to find the same experience I had with Ship Wrecked but with you and Hamlet.

Not trying to be a b with an itch here but really that's the whole point of the game to make it hard for you to survive UNCOMPROMISING in the original tagline of the game I'm not really sure what you were expecting here this isn't Minecraft you aren't supposed to just breeze through the game besides once you get the hang of it's not that hard it's just getting used to the new mechanics that's annoying at first ROG and SW were also like this give it a few more tries and it shouldn't be that bad just takes time.

It's supposed to be hard and challenging. You think the dev force u down 1 only path because u can't manage to survive other paths.This game is to find a most comfortable way to survive in ur own preferences.If u work ur way throught old means like RoG u can survive but harder due to different resource and its provider.Every DLC encourages new ways to survive ,shipwrecked for example.If u depend on big stable base like RoG u will be damn with boss or meteor in no time so it easier to wander away and comeback in periods.ITS FUN BECAUSE ITS HARD

by the way, the way you see this game is not the same i see. you see it is a chilling around and base building for the mobs waves but i see a hard surviving game with many many ways to deal with the mobs not just building a base. The new mechanics like fog or hay fever is an obstacles to make the management harder.

Agreed with the players above quoted new DLC suppose to be challenging, and to be honest, Klei does include items/structures to avoid several mechanics that's the challenge for the character.

I use Wigfrid for all the DLC and we all know her downside is the worst during hay fever, but yet I still like this character.
But it just means that I will need to figure out Oscillating Fan before it comes. Annnnnd that's the beauty of a survival game - it gives you a goal and a deadline and it's up to you how you're going to achieve it.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:57 AM, ng23985 said:

I hoped to get more of what I liked from classic Don't Starve, and hoped to sink another 500+ hours into Hamlet. Instead I've got about 30 hours into it and I'm ready to quit already. Hamlet is not the Don't Starve I fell in love with, and it is not a game I want to play. I feel like Hamlet should be a standalone game, because to me it is not Don't Starve. I think the best way to expand on DS would be to add new stuff to the main game, not introduce new, incompatible game modes like SW and Hamlet did; additionally it should expand the sandbox elements of the game and not add tons of new bullcrap to get in the way of that.I wish I knew Hamlet would be like this so I wouldn't have gotten excited for it. Hamlet requires an extremely different playstyle to what I enjoy. I'm extremely disappointed with Hamlet and can't recommend it. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be hateful or anything. I'm trying to be constructive. I'm just very sad and disappointed.

I have friend that plays DS+DLC seriously that he forbids himself debug any command.
And I have friend that plays DS+DLC always with c_godmode(). 
And both of them love the concept of Hamlet where adventure is now become small ruin rooms adventure instead of running a big cave map like DS before.

Instead of being angry and complain the game (btw, it's only early access, it's not even the "official launch", means it's not finalized) , why don't you relax and read some useful info/tips that's actually helping your survival in Hamlet?

The beauty of don't starve is that DLC is optional. I'd argue that the people who have played don't starve since release/early access are wanting more and more challenges to change up the game a bit. that's how you retain players and keeps the roguelike experience fresh. 

Why should hamlet and SW be standalone games? if you don't buy DLC, you don't get affected by it...  Being able to play with SW,RoG, and hamlet on the same save is super fun. Nobody is forcing you to buy the DLC, and making the DLC standalone would cause more outcry.

Archived