H2O to PH2O?

There used to be a way that you could pass clean water through polluted water and convert the clean into more polluted. 

As far as I know,  that method of conversion has been removed. 

Is there any remaining method of converting clean water into polluted water in a large scale manner?

Other than generator, distillery,  or carbon skimmer (all of which are either too small of amounts or use up other resources)?

Here's a few ways, but both involve mass usage of the carbon skimmer.

1. Petroleum generator. These suckers produce 500g/s of CO2, which is a LOT. If you get a decent power core up and running, and start burning petroleum for power, you'll have to deal with insane amounts of CO2. I have an infinite gas storage box filled with 500kg/m3 of CO2, mostly from petroleum generators. Using carbon skimmers can turn an insane amount of water into polluted water.
  2. Rockets. You can capture the CO2 from rockets, and it isn't a small amount. I can't give an exact number, but when I was messing around in debug it took a LONG while for 3 skimmers to clear it all out of the silo, generating polluted water the whole time.
  3. Jet suits. I don't recommend using jet suits under any circumstances currently due to the horrid FPS you get from the pathing, but they generate a LOT of CO2, which can be used for CO2 skimmers.

35 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

You're just as horrible as @Saturnus and his vomit comet from bygone ages, and I love it.

It was more fun when flatulent dupes farted polluted oxygen meaning they were virtually immortal as they could survive on their own farts for oxygen almost indefinitely.

1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Ok if you got a spare duplicant you can produce a good amount of pwater using showers ;)

It´s a bit stupid but does the job:

Build a shower with some polluted water (or something else to make them dirty xD) in front and give the duplicant a schedule to shower all day

1 hour ago, SackMaggie said:

I'm sure I saw a build that use dupe carrying germy stuff back and forth to get polluted water from washing hand.

Ah, yes. The eczema gambit. Those poor, pressure-washed dupes. :p

On 11/15/2018 at 4:58 AM, crypticorb said:

Petroleum generator. These suckers produce 500g/s of CO2, which is a LOT. If you get a decent power core up and running, and start burning petroleum for power, you'll have to deal with insane amounts of CO2. I have an infinite gas storage box filled with 500kg/m3 of CO2, mostly from petroleum generators. Using carbon skimmers can turn an insane amount of water into polluted water.

Seconding this recommendation, since a combination of one natural gas generator and one oil well can produce enough polluted water to create over 100kg of dirt per cycle via carbon skimming and a water sieving.

Natural Gas Generator Output (1 Per Cycle)

+800W

40.5kg polluted water 

13.5kg carbon dioxide

Oil Well Output (1 Per Cycle)

2,000kg crude oil

20kg natural gas (recycled to natural gas generator)

Convert all 2,000kg crude oil to petroleum via heating above 400 °C at a 1:1 ratio, then use this petroleum to run 1.66 petroleum generators.

Petroleum Generator Output (1.66 Per Cycle)

+3,333.33W

500kg carbon dioxide

750kg polluted water

Convert all 513.5kg of carbon dioxide per cycle into polluted water via 2.85 carbon skimmers.

Carbon Skimmer Output (2.85 Per Cycle)

1,711.66kg polluted water

Convert all 2,502.16kg of polluted water per cycle into water and polluted dirt via 0.83 water sieves.

Water Sieve Output (0.83 Per Cycle)

100.08kg polluted dirt

2,502.16kg water

For your work, you lose and gain the following resources, plus a net surplus of power depending on how many pumps you use.

Net Total Resources Consumed Per Cycle

1 oil reservoir

34kg natural gas

500.43kg filtration medium

Net Total Resources Produced Per Cycle

100.08kg polluted dirt

190.5kg water

Alternatively, cooking the petroleum to gas and reconstituting it to methane/nat gas produces even more Pwater, more than doubling the input, or around 2kg/s from each oil well(along with truly ridiculous amounts of power)(not counting carbon dioxide).  But doing so either requires a thermium/supercoolant aquatuner or very creative use of magma/a volcano.

19 minutes ago, JDL said:

Net Total Resources Consumed Per Cycle

1 oil reservoir

34kg natural gas

517.1kg filtration medium

Net Total Resources Produced Per Cycle

103.42kg polluted dirt

1985.5kg water

Uhm.  You know that carbon skimmers don't just make water out of nothing, right?  They require an input of water and output that same amount of pwater.  There's no net water gain there, just conversion.  Also you have the ratios backward, petro generators produce 750 g/s pwater, 500 CO2.

The -net- water production is 150kg/cycle.  But a lot more than that is converted, as the skimmers turn 1666kg W into PW on top of the 600 in 750 out from the oil well/gennie.

Of course that's assuming you aren't using an oil refinery.  Oil refineries half the output of everything.

1 hour ago, Iriswaters said:

Uhm.  You know that carbon skimmers don't just make water out of nothing, right?  They require an input of water and output that same amount of pwater.  There's no net water gain there, just conversion.  Also you have the ratios backward, petro generators produce 750 g/s pwater, 500 CO2.

Good catch, thanks! That's my mistake for being lazy and not double checking my math. I've edited the calculations with the correct values.

1 hour ago, Iriswaters said:

Alternatively, cooking the petroleum to gas and reconstituting it to methane/nat gas produces even more Pwater, more than doubling the input, or around 2kg/s from each oil well(along with truly ridiculous amounts of power)(not counting carbon dioxide).  But doing so either requires a thermium/supercoolant aquatuner or very creative use of magma/a volcano.

Yep, per kg of fuel, petroleum vs. natural gas generators produce the following polluted water after converting carbon dioxide via carbon skimmers:

Petroleum: 1.2kg polluted water per kg of petroleum

Natural Gas: 2.75kg polluted water per kg of natural gas

But given the work to convert crude to natural gas compared to petroleum, it comes down to a question of exactly how much water, dirt and power you really need. Running a base with 50 duplicants? Bring on the natural gas! Only looking to generate enough soil to feed your 8 favorite duplicants on frost buns? Just use petroleum for now.

Fair enough. I find myself generally just leaning toward methane cooking in any situation where I feel a need for more fuel than petroleum refineries offer.  Getting oil up to 400C but not 540C without using thermium is a major pain, cooking methane is actually a bit easier are that point.  And once you have thermium they are both fairly easy.  Petrol definitely easier, but not so much easier that it matters.  To get thermium you have to build all manner of dealing-with-space nonsense, and a methane cooker is really easier than all that rigamarol

For me the big difference isn't power or dirt.  It's that petroleum refineries consume water, petroleum cooking is very slightly water positive, and methane cooking is very water positive, producing 1222g/s of water per oil well.  More than most steam vents, closer to the production of a cool slush geyser.  This ends up mattering if you end up with a map that just has the base 2 steam vents and no other water sources.

But for dirt, sieves only offer 4% return.  1.2 kg pw/kg petrol ends up with 2400 kg/day.  For 96 kg dirt.  Each dupe needs 12.5 kg/day( I don't remember if that's with or without using fertilizer, but I find farmer's touch to be unreliable) so that's...

Oh, hey.  That just happens to be pretty near enough to feed your favorite 8 dupes pepper bread.  Add in bathroom run off and you can have enough to grow the peppers.  Just try to make sure everyone showers every day.  My dupes always seem to want to skip showers.

3 hours ago, Iriswaters said:

...Getting oil up to 400C but not 540C without using thermium is a major pain...

It's actually not bad at all. I have several designs that accomplish the task on industrial scale without any thermium. The cooling *is* extremely important, but once you get the system bootstrapped the cooling pays for itself by providing most of that heat back.

1 hour ago, impyre said:

It's actually not bad at all. I have several designs that accomplish the task on industrial scale without any thermium. The cooling *is* extremely important, but once you get the system bootstrapped the cooling pays for itself by providing most of that heat back.

Pics?

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.png.bb4bf255f9a132c900fef621bf64b182.png

@Carnis

Temperature is maintained by controlling the amount of oxygen in the lower part. There's an access tube that runs over to a cooled room with a gas pump, vent, and atmo sensor. Right now it's set to 500 grams of oxygen per tile. The metal blocks are steel, and the temp-shift plates are diamond. I think I can make this more compact, but I haven't bothered. This processes one oil well continuously. The petroleum drops into a cooling tube, where I cool it before pumping it off to the storage area. The more oxygen in the lower area, the faster heat can be transferred, and the higher the throughput.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. The upper channel, the one that seems useless filled with petroleum... the reason I had to build it was because for some reason when oil changes to petroleum, it occasionally likes to teleport through the tile directly above it. It was flooding my hallway with hot petroleum constantly, so I built this channel to redirect it. I had to raise the whole floor. It wasn't a pressure problem, as you can see above, the selected tile only has 17kg of petroleum in it.

Edit2: over the last 180 cycles or so, (since I built it) I've processed about 364 tons of petroleum in this installation. Most of it is stored in a large tank, but I like using it as a coolant too. The magma is still good... I estimate another 250 cycles or so before I have to consider moving it.

See, that still seems a pain to me.   Controlling inputs of lava and dealing with it cooling off etc.  Whereas if I am really careful, I can build a contraption on top of a lake of crude oil, cap things off and just bust open the magma pool and I suddenly have more sour gas than I will ever be able to use, lol.

Impyre posted a pic of their system.   Mine is a lot more messy, lol

Spoiler

20181116005026_1.jpg

This was a rough draft on an earlier run.   I just recently started over with the testing branch so am not at this point yet.

Oh, wait.   No, you didn't ask for pics of a methane system.   You asked for pics of a petroleum system specifically, one that didn't use space materials.   That's what Impyre's post was talking about that you responded to asking for pics.

Another view of the same concept though for you

Spoiler

20181113082729_1.thumb.jpg.b4228a5d37b0932e115dc10472a69479.jpg20181113082904_1.thumb.jpg.b04f46339134d84da0806d9a144d54d4.jpg20181113082852_1.thumb.jpg.ec86911260f7f3399f10c690d30b7a37.jpg

Archived