Concerns about Community Progression

Leonardo Cox

I want to start this off by saying that I really like the idea of community progression and that its definitely something that makes me want to keep playing the forge. However if anyone has been paying attention to the community progress since launch theres a thing you may have noticed:

image.png.223caaf9ea96daadaebff6ab71eab518.png

After Boarrior was unlocked this morning, progress basically halted. Now, I don't know if this is because most people haven't had a chance to play today or if most players have great difficulty killing boarrior. If its the latter then I worry that progress won't go much farther during the entirety of the event. However, I don't want the answer to be "nerf forge" because I know that a lot of people who enjoyed the forge would want forge to still be challenging.

Instead I would like to suggest an alternative solution:

-Make previous community progression goals still count towards the progression bar, but less than the current challenge/have the harder challenges contribute more to the progress. 

I feel like during this forge theres a bunch of newer players joining it. Boarrior is generally difficult for new players or teams with little to no communication and I feel that when the new mobs get unlocked, even less players will be able to contribute, if at all. Starting off with boarillas was much easier for newer players and keeping that as the minimum goal to contribute to the goal will, I think, encourage players to keep playing even though they may never reach past boarrior by the end of the event and it won't punish the players who do beat the current boss just because they don't happen to be the majority of the playerbase.

Your idea is nice! New progress goal should have also previous one but with half points gained to bar. Or doing more points/% for current goal - because with actually points on progress, community wont be able to unlock rest things! 

I had assumed that as we unlocked new bosses the xp wouldn't be limited to whatever was last in the list, in this case boarrior. The issue is that this means gaining xp is going to start scaling much higher, making it more difficult for newer players to help out. This could be fixed either by increasing the xp that drops from boarrior to meet the loss of success, or alternatively have xp count starting with boarillas and continuing as you kill more and more bosses. 

18 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

i like this sort of beta testing where we can't beta test the new content

We tested new content! New progress bar, quests and one monkey attack! :D Rest is just like "only for VIP" or from "premium shop" :wilson_ecstatic:

Klei made a realllly cool new system imo. That said lets get into full Forge and see how progression turns out for a week , cause i my self dont want it to be too fast but i dont want it to be impossible to do aswell. I guess they could (or already have) looked into the stats of the last forge and do a small calculation and make the progress bar exp moe bearable , cause if i remember correctly it was a small % of people who completed it whole last year.

32 minutes ago, Kawasaki said:

Klei made a realllly cool new system imo. That said lets get into full Forge and see how progression turns out for a week , cause i my self dont want it to be too fast but i dont want it to be impossible to do aswell. I guess they could (or already have) looked into the stats of the last forge and do a small calculation and make the progress bar exp moe bearable , cause if i remember correctly it was a small % of people who completed it whole last year.

Completed what last year?

Something a couple of the folks from Klei mentioned on the last Rhymes with Play stream: as the community unlocks new equipment, it will become significantly easier for folks to progress through the waves and start beating the bosses consistently. With what teasers they showed for the upcoming equipment, I'm inclined to believe that they balanced it towards a creating a sort of snowball effect with each new piece of equipment added to the pool. People will be able to breeze through the earlier waves and get better used to the later ones, all while acquiring more and more tech to work with. This should mean that the only difficult and grueling part of the grind will be when we experience a new monster or boss, which is the spot we're in currently. (At least for newer folks, since people from last year should have a good idea of how to fight the current lineup.) 

1 hour ago, JimmyJam said:

I think a lot of people stopped playing after that unlock because they wanted to wait till after beta. It seems to be moving faster now :)

I don't think this is why the bar barely moved, Points are added to the community progress after each win. when the grand forge boarrior was unlocked, people obviously had a harder time winning so less points.

Archived