My refinery is now a bomb... help.

It just occurred to me that the polluted water inside my refinery reached 15t at 800+ Celsius because it kept working even if the output pipe is broken so the heat inside was trapped. I tried adding new pipes but it wont stand the heat. 

image.thumb.png.bd7b53589cf309549123ab05b6555147.png

I tried deconstructing it and overheated the area as soon as the heat got out. I might as well just leave it there and build a new refinery? 

image.thumb.png.7e9155733d2e8edae3e6f47769666789.png

image.png.35c534241be5cf9339ae5449f2d480c0.png

At least that tropical pacu is happy with the heat.

image.thumb.png.050e2cd43518f5e41adffaf3c540c2d9.png

Wow.

One thing I can't understand is why the heck you are still using it when it's like that?

Put the darn thing in a U shaped box, with mesh tiles over it, and build ice tempshift plates at the top until it cools it below 100C, then deconstruct the whole thing.

17 hours ago, pancakemafia said:

It just occurred to me that the polluted water inside my refinery reached 15t at 800+ Celsius because it kept working even if the output pipe is broken so the heat inside was trapped. I tried adding new pipes but it wont stand the heat. 

The best solution is prevention.  When I build refineries, I put a liquid shutoff sensor on the output so that the output has to be empty for it to run again.

EDIT I meant a Liquid Element Sensor that turns off the refinery.

48 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

The best solution is prevention.  When I build refineries, I put a liquid shutoff sensor on the output so that the output has to be empty for it to run again.

But if the pipe breaks before the sensor the refinery will keep going. I've seen some people have it break right at the first section of pipe.

12 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

But if the pipe breaks before the sensor the refinery will keep going. I've seen some people have it break right at the first section of pipe.

The keyword was "prevention"

when your math is solid and a safety system is in place then your pipes won't break  

2 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

The purpose of he sensor is that you don't get to that point. If your polluted water starts at a decent temperature and isn't looped back in, then it shouldn't happen. 

1 hour ago, SakuraKoi said:

I know that feel...

15A55757987A4A8A2280DE872E4F4A7E71E2B5EB

so, when am I going to open Pandora's Box? Never!

then, when will it break the tiles? Someday...

do I hope for it to magically become (superheated) liquid oxygen? Maybe~

What am I looking at?

Can geysers be tricked just like vents with a small amount of liquid? That seems... incredibly useful.

5 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

What am I looking at?

Can geysers be tricked just like vents with a small amount of liquid? That seems... incredibly useful.

Indeed, the water is barely 96,4g and 57,8g, 5kg would probably over-pressure the geysers (while it did vent it did not seem like it was moving the water)

I know that feel...

This is very easy. Build in the region a water lock, and lots of deodorizers. The oxygen resulted  will be send to the oxylite refineriy, an the oxylite to rockets....or a gas pump and send the polluted oxygen directly to an liquid oxygen facility. There are always solution. 

19 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

Indeed, the water is barely 96,4g and 57,8g, 5kg would probably over-pressure the geysers (while it did vent it did not seem like it was moving the water)

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I feel like I could bypass the need to pump natural gas or chlorine to prevent over-pressurizing vents, or even condense cool steam geysers. I'll screw around with it later.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I feel like I could bypass the need to pump natural gas or chlorine to prevent over-pressurizing vents, or even condense cool steam geysers. I'll screw around with it later.

:) muhahahaha i know what you are thinking :) 

Beter you can make a direct path of the natural gas vents to the buffer reservoir whit 0 energy consumption, after i finish my top void bunker wall i will start messing whit this.

Or build an aquatuner over a cold steam vent and combined whit the steam generator :) you can cool the condensed water to your desire :) 

But the real question is how he deleted the neutronium tiles for building the isolated tiles. 

8 hours ago, pancakemafia said:

I tried deconstructing it and overheated the area as soon as the heat got out. I might as well just leave it there and build a new refinery? 

image.thumb.png.7e9155733d2e8edae3e6f47769666789.png

image.png.35c534241be5cf9339ae5449f2d480c0.png

At least that tropical pacu is happy with the heat.

image.thumb.png.050e2cd43518f5e41adffaf3c540c2d9.png

1. make sure use only one type of liquid coolant

2. make sure used coolant was completely piped out of the refinery, then do another task

1. make sure use only one type of liquid coolant

2. make sure used coolant was completely piped out of the refinery, then do another task

Not for me. I used first the ponds of polluted water and filter it whit sieve, then i used the clean 40 degrees water and use it again for the steel production. The 96 degrees water i use it for research at the research station, liceloaf production in the early game, or oxygen production...

7 minutes ago, tzionut said:

Not for me. I used first the ponds of polluted water and filter it whit sieve, then i used the clean 40 degrees water and use it again for the steel production. The 96 degrees water i use it for research at the research station, liceloaf production in the early game, or oxygen production...

referred to the second advice, if you still left some 96C water in your refinery, and finish another task, you will get left mount + 400kg, 96 + 56 C temperature water, if the third task finished you will get hotter water as previous method 

referred to the second advice, if you still left some 96C water in your refinery, and finish another task, you will get left mount + 400kg, 96 + 56 C temperature water, if the third task finished you will get hotter water as previous method 

This is real. For preventing this usual don't make steel auto produce....

5 hours ago, crypticorb said:

One thing I can't understand is why the heck you are still using it when it's like that?

Put the darn thing in a U shaped box, with mesh tiles over it, and build ice tempshift plates at the top until it cools it below 100C, then deconstruct the whole thing.

Ice tempshift plates! Great idea! I was actually using that when I forgot the sieved water was hot. Better than those sculptures IMO.
I just tried it but it's not affecting the polluted water inside.....

Okay here's what I got. Just testing it if it has enough heat to produce steam for the turbine. 

image.thumb.png.11e357cd3662f80a0bc13ca03549eaf7.png

So far it's working.

4 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

I know that feel...

Sucks right? Haha You could, probably automate some deodorizers. Something like this, then cool it down. I cool it down to remove the slimelung. 

image.thumb.png.f589e1bff4f417e2607ec87c6eb860d8.png

I have to keep an eye on for me next refinery. Thanks for the help.

U are not alone! These mistakes are will be done mostly by new players. I did it the same way at my first games. I have another hint for u to deal with it and to produce steam:

20181102094839_1.thumb.jpg.43d862625046a9834889cfbab4ea9e27.jpg

The Petroleum is heating up by the refineries. Above, the polluted water change at 119C to steam. This steam is useful for your rockets or your steam turbines. It is a little bit to cold to run a steam turbine, but u can flood the steam turbine room with it without to heating up normal water. So, the process to heating up the steam to run a turbine takes less time. But! It is recommend that u have a slush geyser to run this system. U boil much water with this technique.

Solution for your problem!

Make 6 times GOLD or WOLFRAM and the temp goes down!

In early stages of the game, i use normal water too to run the refinery, but if u make steal, don't make many of it in a row. I do one steal, gold, steal, gold and so on. So the temp keeps low.

10 hours ago, pancakemafia said:

It's a classic error when you don't follow from close all the fix on ONI. Here's the solution :

1. Enclosed your refinery in a insulated room, this one is over.

2. To refine classic metals : polluted water -> Metal Refinery -> Water Sieve. Never loop the polluted water or have a huge cooling system.

3. To refine steel : crude oil -> Metal Refinery -> Oil Refinery.

Personnaly I only use the Metal Refinery for steel, since the last patches, the machine is too constraining, Smooth Hatch is so more easier and cost nothing.

refinery.thumb.png.0042b238e0105609367b849c01746d90.png

It's unlimited power! 

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Personnaly I only use the Metal Refinery for steel, since the last patches, the machine is too constraining, Smooth Hatch is so more easier and cost nothing.

refinery.thumb.png.0042b238e0105609367b849c01746d90.png

I agree with the hatches, I have not explored them though. I have an iron volcano for that. Just have to figure out a way to cool it for the little guys

Archived