My refinery is now a bomb... help.

6 hours ago, Zarquan said:

The purpose of he sensor is that you don't get to that point. If your polluted water starts at a decent temperature and isn't looped back in, then it shouldn't happen. 

If the coolant is at a decent temperature wouldn't the safety system be irrelevant? Wouldn't a system that only lets in appropriately cool liquid be better?

6 hours ago, crypticorb said:

What am I looking at?

Can geysers be tricked just like vents with a small amount of liquid? That seems... incredibly useful.

No, they can't be tricked with liquid.  You are looking at someone who has used a save file editor.  They made 3 mistakes:

1. Vents stop producing at 5 kg/tile
  2. The neutronium under the vent is missing
  3. The temperature of the gas in the box is way colder than what comes out of the vent
3 hours ago, SamLogan said:

3. To refine steel : crude oil -> Metal Refinery -> Oil Refinery.

I use a closed loop of petrol that transfers the heat to my steam turbine.

3 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Personnaly I only use the Metal Refinery for steel, since the last patches, the machine is too constraining, Smooth Hatch is so more easier and cost nothing.

It costs 25% of the ore.

1 hour ago, pancakemafia said:

I agree with the hatches, I have not explored them though. I have an iron volcano for that. Just have to figure out a way to cool it for the little guys

Metal from a volcano is already refined.

48 minutes ago, psusi said:

No, they can't be tricked with liquid.  You are looking at someone who has used a save file editor.  They made 3 mistakes:

1. Vents stop producing at 5 kg/tile
  2. The neutronium under the vent is missing
  3. The temperature of the gas in the box is way colder than what comes out of the vent

There's nothing inherently wrong with a save file editor, I've used one on occasion to fix crappy dupes at the beginning, because clicking a million times for the right dupe is tedious.

I've a feeling there's more going on with that box than just a save file editor. True, he might have debug ALT-Q teleported the geyser there, but there's nothing wrong with that either.

You're mistaken on point #3, though, infectious polluted oxygen vents produce at 60C, unlike their counterpart that doesn't have germs, which is 500C. The mass of rubbish and water in the box could account for the rest of the heat difference.

I'll test whether tricking a gas producing geyser actually works when I get some time.

Nope, I did not use a save file editor nor did any related magic, the Neutronium is missing because I obviously use the mods I share, replacing it with Abyssalite instead. 

Incidentally it is a hot one but the debris is quite sizable and what is now weird...

20181102155845_1.thumb.jpg.9db6bc7b06c81382b71588150c6c8d21.jpg

is that the count is stuck (did not increase from 60.9 kg, I am certain the game is messing with me) yet the vent still working

3 hours ago, bleeter6 said:

If the coolant is at a decent temperature wouldn't the safety system be irrelevant? Wouldn't a system that only lets in appropriately cool liquid be better?

The coolant in the original system started at a decent temperature.  However, over time, it got up to 800C because of a bug, where any liquid in the refinery never leaves and keeps gaining heat.  If that liquid left the system, or was filtered out by temperature, then there wouldn't be a problem.  The purpose of the sensor is to make sure all the liquid leaves the refinery before it can be run again to prevent this bug.

EDIT I noticed I had mild aphasia on the first post.  I meant a liquid element sensor on the output that stops the refinery from running.

Double-heating the output coolant is always possible if you queue multiple jobs - a dupe with good enough tinkering (4 is the number I've seen referenced, I haven't done the math myself) will finish the second job before the coolant has all drained even with an unblocked output pipe, and some of the first job's coolant will be super-heated.

As Zarquan mentioned, an element sensor on the output pipe (to prevent the dupe from running the refinery for the second job while there's coolant still inside) seems to be the most reliable way to avoid this, short of micromanaging recipe selection.

Untitled.png

5 hours ago, crypticorb said:

You're mistaken on point #3, though, infectious polluted oxygen vents produce at 60C, unlike their counterpart that doesn't have germs, which is 500C. The mass of rubbish and water in the box could account for the rest of the heat difference.

Neat to know there is a cool version, but this one is hot.

5 hours ago, crypticorb said:

I'll test whether tricking a gas producing geyser actually works when I get some time.

A steam vent produces gas but stops at 5 kg of steam even if there is some water on the floor.

4 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

Incidentally it is a hot one but the debris is quite sizable and what is now weird...

How many tons of cold debris would it take to lower the temperature that far?

6 minutes ago, psusi said:

Neat to know there is a cool version, but this one is hot.

A steam vent produces gas but stops at 5 kg of steam even if there is some water on the floor.

Huh. It appears I misread the tooltip, it is a hot vent.

Something weird must be at work here, because I just did some testing with all sorts of combinations of water/petroleum, floating gasses conflicting, 30g liquids stacked on top of each other, flapping doors, everything. Nothing I did was able to get ant vent to produce more than the 5kg pressure.

I was able to trick a chlorine geyser to produce up to 6.3kg for a bit with conflicting gasses, but past that it stopped conflicting and overpressurized.

There's something screwy going on with that box.

45 minutes ago, psusi said:

Not much actually, it's just 360kg Polluted Oxygen, 360kg with the same DTU would already quite half it to ~300°C but there is like

• 3t Obsidian
  • 5t Granite
  • 10t Sedi Rock
  • 3,5t Clay
  • 30t Abyssalite

which ofc is a bit more than 360kg. Never underestimate debris!

Also, yeah, still stuck 60.9kg/tile but visibly pumpin', I was looking forward to, well, more~

29 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

Not much actually, it's just 360kg Polluted Oxygen, 360kg with the same DTU would already quite half it to ~300°C but there is like

• 3t Obsidian
  • 5t Granite
  • 10t Sedi Rock
  • 3,5t Clay
  • 30t Abyssalite

which ofc is a bit more than 360kg. Never underestimate debris!

Also, yeah, still stuck 60.9kg/tile but visibly pumpin', I was looking forward to, well, more~

From my experimentation, geysers will continue to do the emission animation when they detect a tile in range with >5kg pressure, even if it is a liquid, BUT they will not displace the liquid to produce any gas. I'd hoped you could trick a geyser similarly to how you can trick a gas vent with >2kg of liquid covering, but nope.

I still don't know how you managed to get 60.9kg/m3 of pressurized polluted oxygen in there without pumping it in. Something seems screwy.

Archived