Griftlands Update

• Developer

Hey folks,

Apologies for the long time between updates! To make a long story short, we are still working on this game and it is not cancelled. 

Whenever we make a game, we set out to create a new experience. That means that scheduling a new game is really, really hard for us, because we’re not sure when it’ll all work out. Sometimes it works out pretty quickly, other times, it takes a whole lot of back and forth and reworking. Invisible, Inc. comes to mind as an example; for the first couple years of development it went from a multiplayer mobile game, to a tactical combat game, finally converging to the stealth espionage that we shipped with.

This time, we jumped the gun on announcing it because we thought we were further along than we were. After testing it out in-house, though, we felt that the game just wasn’t delivering the experience we wanted, so we went back to work and have quietly been working on it since.

We didn’t want to give another date until we were confident, but I agree we should have kept people here more in the loop. Sorry about that! 

The game is much further along now, but we’re still some ways from announcing a new date. Once we have more information, we’ll let everyone know.

Thanks for everyone’s patience!

14 minutes ago, Bigfoot said:

We didn’t want to give another date until we were confident, but I agree we should have kept people here more in the loop. Sorry about that! 

This is all we ask for. Maybe throw some art here and there to keep the hype going and its all good .)

Good luck with this cool project Klei!

17 minutes ago, Bigfoot said:

Hey folks,

Apologies for the long time between updates! To make a long story short, we are still working on this game and it is not cancelled. 

Whenever we make a game, we set out to create a new experience. That means that scheduling a new game is really, really hard for us, because we’re not sure when it’ll all work out. Sometimes it works out pretty quickly, other times, it takes a whole lot of back and forth and reworking. Invisible, Inc. comes to mind as an example; for the first couple years of development it went from a multiplayer mobile game, to a tactical combat game, finally converging to the stealth espionage that we shipped with.

This time, we jumped the gun on announcing it because we thought we were further along than we were. After testing it out in-house, though, we felt that the game just wasn’t delivering the experience we wanted, so we went back to work and have quietly been working on it since.

The game is much further along now, but we’re still some ways from announcing a new date. Once we have more information, we’ll let everyone know.

Thanks for everyone’s patience!

Thanks for letting us know Bigfoot; I am really excited for this game!

Reminds me of Valve's TF2 commentary node about the game transitioning between realistic military shooter to the class based shooter all over the span of 9 years.

As with most things great it takes time to refine and polish up to have good quality, and requires a lot of work.

So thanks for the update, as this title is one I'm interested in from what was presented so far.

• Developer
16 hours ago, t0panka said:

This is all we ask for. Maybe throw some art here and there to keep the hype going and its all good .)

I agree, that would be perfect!

Thanks for reaching out to us, Klei, and good luck with the project! It's the one Klei thing I'm most hyped for :)

Archived