Petition to add a real decontamination chamber to replace door exploits and liquid locks

I'm sure everyone wants something like this, sure there could be a room where dupes wait a bit inside and go through next area, it could be a small chamber that consumed some power and oxygen and replace the liquid locks that are a burden to do everywhere around base where you don't want gases to mix, ( liquid lock = Stress > Waste on Exo suits to get through).

Just now, tzionut said:

:) not quite. I am happy whit this setup. I use exosuits and no germ and no stress from soaked debuff.

Probably still need exo suits anyway 'cause of cold and heat on the other side and so they can breath while ranching and stuff, but you get the picture, basically replace the annoying cheap liquid locks

I dislike on principle the idea of a dedicated building to do something when you could instead use the building blocks of the simulation to put together a system to do the same thing yourself.

Besides which, the entrance to my base is already a decontamination chamber that uses power and doesn't make stress. Just needs an ore scrubber (and some automation so it doesn't fail when there's nowhere to vent the gasses to)...

gTzqjE5.png

35 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

I dislike on principle the idea of a dedicated building to do something when you could instead use the building blocks of the simulation to put together a system to do the same thing yourself.

Besides which, the entrance to my base is already a decontamination chamber that uses power and doesn't make stress. Just needs an ore scrubber (and some automation so it doesn't fail when there's nowhere to vent the gasses to)...

gTzqjE5.png

The why are you using the gas filter? 

Just now, Cipupec2 said:

The why are you using the gas filter? 

Oxygen on the inside, everything else on the outside.

Should probably replace it with an element sensor and a bypass, but it was originally built before I had done that research.

2 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

Oxygen on the inside, everything else on the outside.

Should probably replace it with an element sensor and a bypass, but it was originally built before I had done that research.

Then there is your answer. decontamination chamber should be added as entry level compact and easy to use option that are more resources intensive.

3 minutes ago, jfc said:

And that's another thing needs rebalanced, no point in using a filter when you can use the sensor + shutoff combo for less power

Disagree. Gas filter is a simple to explain/use system with built in safeguards that suits beginners, while sensor+shutoff (actually 2xsensor and 2xshutoffs to avoid edge issues) is much more complex option. To me this is just the normal progression, allowing more advanced players to tinker with things, by upping the power demand on the manual option you'd just break the ability to create a more complex creative systems.

Just now, Cipupec2 said:

Then there is your answer. decontamination chamber should be added as entry level compact and easy to use option that are more resources intensive.

Disagree. Gas filter is a simple to explain/use system with built in safeguards that suits beginners, while sensor+shutoff (actually 2xsensor and 2xshutoffs to avoid edge issues) is much more complex option. To me this is just the normal progression, allowing more advanced players to tinker with things, by upping the power demand on the manual option you'd just break the ability to create a more complex creative systems.

Exactly, game should provide different types of tools for everything. We shouldn't have to build huge setups just for something like avoid mixing gases

What we want is a door that inhibits gas movement when open. A sort of forcefield that allows dupes to pass but not gasses. We want our base to be clean without any gas from outside and not leaking oxygen.

We can build a lot of complicated systems to handle the issue, which is fine. The main problem is that it takes space and energy and is never 100% perfect. There`s always some gas leaking through. It would be cool to have some sort of feature to simplify vacuum management and replace the liquidlocks.

What we really need is a pump with a internal storage to avoid the gas leaking we are seeing. Everytime you make an airlock with a two different gas on each side that has to be some leak because the actual pump can only pump one gas at a time.

So if we had a pump that would pump like 2kg/s with an internal storage of like 20kg. We could make airlock a lot more viable.

Edit : Of course, this pump would need some advanced materials like steel and plastic and require a lot of power. Though it would not consume much because arilocks don't run a lot in a cycle.

5 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

My method: Build a transit tube across the boundary.

Spoiler

image.png.686af5b53de6bef4ab21c87b9febe896.png

5 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I've never had an issue.  None of their tooltips say anything about generating heat.

Aren't transit tubes power intensive though? To me it's just a late game transportation, we just could use more means for a simple replacement for a liquid lock, what i suggested seems easy enough, dupe goes through a door, room gets pressurized/decontaminated, dupe comes out other side

5 minutes ago, jfc said:

Aren't transit tubes power intensive though? To me it's just a late game transportation, we just could use more means for a simple replacement for a liquid lock, what i suggested seems easy enough, dupe goes through a door, room gets pressurized/decontaminated, dupe comes out other side

I don’t think this would improve the state of the game. To just be able to plop a single building down that solves 100% of all temperature, gas and germ separation issues really dumbs down the experience. A really big part of this game is being able to build and contain isolated systems, if you fail at this your colony starts to fail. Having a 1 click solves all solution to this problem isn’t an exciting or fun game choice. In this thread alone people have posed multiple options to the separation isssue, but with your solution 100% of them would be replaced with a single magic door.

Just now, Cypher-7 said:

I don’t think this would improve the state of the game. To just be able to plop a single building down that solves 100% of all temperature, gas and germ separation issues really dumbs down the experience. A really big part of this game is being able to build and contain isolated systems, if you fail at this your colony starts to fail. Having a 1 click solves all solution to this problem isn’t an exciting or fun game choice. In this thread alone people have posed multiple options to the separation isssue, but with your solution 100% of them would be replaced with a single magic door.

Not a simple solution, doesn't have to be perfect insulator, just avoid gas mix, would need a gas input and a gas output and require power, and not just a door, like a small room the size of an actual liquid lock

I rarely have any problems with power, especially by time I get transit tubes researched.  Last cycle in my base I used 474.3kJ, 40.7kJ of which was transit tube access -- so about 10% of my overall power use.  *shrug*  You can do liquid airlocks, or 3-door airlocks, or pumped room airlocks.. or you can build transit tubes.  There are many options.

18 hours ago, jfc said:

I'm sure everyone wants something like this, sure there could be a room where dupes wait a bit inside and go through next area, it could be a small chamber that consumed some power and oxygen and replace the liquid locks that are a burden to do everywhere around base where you don't want gases to mix, ( liquid lock = Stress > Waste on Exo suits to get through).

You have so many existing solution, not so difficult to made. Airlock vacuum is what i use, it's really usefull with no issue (except for very high pressure room, but it working on a solution for high pressure, a vaccuum airlock+a high pressure airlock that i'm working on it)

I don't like liquid lock (especialy the one with different liquid), but you use it to in your water closet, but i can bear with liquid lock use for example with vaccum (liquid need to change in vacuum)

Archived