Metal Refinery setup tips?

I still don't know where to setup it, if near a slush geyser i found or near all the crude oil. First i thought of feeding it polluted water and send it through a sieve after but i'm not using any water right now since I have no SPOM built yet

33 minutes ago, Argelle said:

On top of the coolant foing inside the rafinery, you also have radiant pipes to cool the room or metal rafinery machine itself, don't you?

What is the temperature of the polluted water inside these pipes?

Radiant pipes cool both refinery and the room.

The polluted water is stable 30 deg. C from a geyser.

Guys, we got a new patch and the polluted water has been modified. So forget what you think to know.

Now, NEVER use polluted water if you want to refined STEEL, here's the result :

met.thumb.png.4778b3f76a13c2d66c334900b71ca2ed.png

You will obtain steam that will break the raffinery and make a steam around.

3 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Guys, we got a new patch and the polluted water has been modified. So forget what you think to know.

Only SHC was changed, which means it can hold less heat in itself. But my approach will not break, because I have a preventine system at the output of the refinery. 30 C packets WILL DEFINITELY survive at least one pass.

Pwater will now heat up by ~56°C when making steel, so yeah 30°C is totally fine.

I wish there was a way to automatically modify the thermo sensor threshold depending on what kind of metal you're refining, gold adds almost no heat while steel adds a lot.

17 minutes ago, Djoums said:

Pwater will now heat up by ~56°C when making steel, so yeah 30°C is totally fine.

I wish there was a way to automatically modify the thermo sensor threshold depending on what kind of metal you're refining, gold adds almost no heat while steel adds a lot.

You could make two refineries - one for steel and one for others, with different settings on the shutoff.

14 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

How do you explain my polluted water is at 200°C?

Looking at the forums it seems there's an old bug still running around on that issue, coolant temperature is processed incorrectly and you end up with super hot liquid in your refinery. I have never encountered that bug myself though.

As an example :

But I am currently refining steel with pwater in my RU colony and it behaves as expected (+56°C).

Refinery.thumb.jpg.d54316493e72668d449303038b3af5b2.jpg

For an exploit free setup, build a small accessible pond below the refinery, build storage compactors on the bottom, fill it up with liquifiables (ice and p ice) and pump the cooling water around inside the pond area with radiant pipes. This offers excellent cooling for a very, very long time.

It's quite easy to set up too. Just go to an ice biome, and put it up there.

I just find a sad little patch of polluted water deep in slimelung biome (as far down as possible) and build the refinery on top of it.  Once it gets so hot that it threatens to melt something I pump the entire contents to a seive to be turned into H20 for a fixed temp. (although I don't know if this trick will still work in Rocketry)   Then I can usually dig with ladders to find more Polluted Water above that and let that drain in and do it again.  By the time I've done that a few times I have enough refined iron to build the infrastructure I need to properly cool the water.

I hate thermal aquatuners, so to cool water I always use the same method.  Get some highly compressed H2 gas in a room with wheezworts and use a single gas pump to make a cooling coil to cool the water until it hits my target temp.  I have this loop set up for like 4 or 5 different liquid tanks and when you do that 3 wheezworts can cool about 2 bodies of water at the same time, faster than you would think.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:48 AM, Djoums said:

Tobruk : your refinery doesn't seem to loop like in your drawing, its water is going straight to the sieves.

Edit : nevermind, didn't look at all the pipes.

Am I missing something here.  The water sieves output just loops going no where out.

Where do you see it exiting ? Oh. I see it now. it connects to a bridge going out.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:12 AM, SamLogan said:

Is it possible that you don't have two Sieves running?   

I sort of ran into that heat build up because my shutoff value couldn't pass ALL of the output and it got bottle necked and looped back as cooling water over heating.

So make sure your shutoff value completely export the ALL of the hot liquid.

6 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

I send oil through it.

Let it circulate until the temperature is < 300°C then pump the hot oil into refineries to delete the heat. 

How are you doing this?   What materials are you using for the Pipe that is looping this?    Some of the insulated pipe materials I'm using all break over heating at 100degrees+

11 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

Is it possible that you don't have two Sieves running?   

I sort of ran into that heat build up because my shutoff value couldn't pass ALL of the output and it got bottle necked and looped back as cooling water over heating.

So make sure your shutoff value completely export the ALL of the hot liquid.

How are you doing this?   What materials are you using for the Pipe that is looping this?    Some of the insulated pipe materials I'm using all break over heating at 100degrees+

interesting abyslite.  I could have sworn I've used that before and it broke.

thanks for the info!

I like the reverse logic you're using for the shut off value.   It totally prevents hot liquid from looping back into the system.   So bottle neck just stops the system rather than over heat it.

I didn't think of that.   That helps a lot when using only 1 sieve rather than 2.

I had my bathroom loop cooling a refinery and then filling it, slowly making steel, then dumping into vacuum sealed tank with 2 aquatuners in it. The aquatuners would cool the clean water after it was sleeved from the tank.

I don't know how long it would run before breaking, after like 500 cycles it was 85 ish degrees, which had an interesting effect of also killing all the germs inside the system completely.

However, Eventually I gave up to for a separate tank just to make steel quicker.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:12 PM, SamLogan said:

you can continually refine and it can up to 1500+C, maybe more 

Also hitting an issue getting a better steel refinery setup going in Rocketry.  My setup exploded in a 200C cloud of steam, melting my adjacent industry.  Fun!  (OK, it actually was, haven't had an industrial accident in a while.)

I got the bright idea of using liquid petroleum to cool, since it doesn't evaporate until ~568C. Unfortunately there is no option to make a liquid pump out of steel (I refined 1600kg before I steam-cleaned my basement), so the hottest my coolant can get before my pumping system breaks is 125C (gold amalgam).  Is this a bug?  Is there supposed to be another tier of pumps?

P.S. I know about the sieve trick (does it still work in Rocketry?) but am trying to play without exploits.

2 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

are you doing this?   What materials are you using for the Pipe that is looping this?    Some of the insulated pipe materials I'm using all break over heating at 100degrees+

I know it's not what the person you responded to used, but ceramic pipes (4:1 clay+coal -> kiln for 100kg) can take a lot of heat.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:12 PM, SamLogan said:

Water is more dangerous cause water has a lower boiling temperature. if the coolant temperature after refined is higher than boiling point, this bug will occur, in my test, you need to pure water which is about 40C,  then the coolant will be about 95~98C 

Archived