Jump to content

Handling natural gas heat


Recommended Posts

So I just finished analyzing my natural gas vent before it came out of dormancy and I thought I was ready to capture it and pump it into an insulated room with a high pressure vent to store it.  Turns out it comes out of the darn thing at 302F, which is too hot even for a gold amalgam pump.  How do you deal with this?  You have to install hydrogen cooling pipes running to the AETN?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NG can only store very few energy. So 302F hot NG is not necessarily that hot, if it gets in contact with other cold stuff. You can most like use the geyser happily for quite a few hundred cycles and it will just exchange temperature with the rest of the base (without heating it up considerably).

After those few 100 cycles, you might need some cooling though.

If you choose to encase the geyser with abysalite tiles (maybe even insulated ones), the NG will not exchange temperature and quickly heat up your pump to its overheating temperature.

 

@Carnis beat me to it by 5 seconds.:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ohh.  I didn't realize it had such low heat capacity.  I knew it would be warm so I figured I would insulate the room and keep the heat trapped until it was voided by the generator.  Well crap... now I can't get back in there until it goes dormant.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Ohh.  I didn't realize it had such low heat capacity.  I knew it would be warm so I figured I would insulate the room and keep the heat trapped until it was voided by the generator.  Well crap... now I can't get back in there until it goes dormant.

 

Actually, natural gas has pretty good thermal capacity for a gas; 2.191  It's only below hydrogen in terms of it's ranking. (Hydrogen being 2.4)  The reason that basically 2 wheezeworts is good enough it due more to the fact that natural gas geysers don't really produce a whole lot of gas in the first place and they only need to drop the temperature from 150C to 125C for the pumps to survive.  Basically every second, a wheezewort is taking in 1KG of gas and dropping it by 5C.

 

In comparison, the geyser, on average, is generally only producing enough gas to run one natural gas generator continuously.  So,  around 80-110 G/s ..ish?  So, a single wheezewort out-inhales a geryser by a factor of 10 to 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last time, I did run some pipes with 25C water from my central cooling into an corridor with the pump at the end. A small liquid pump provided more than enough cooling with that for 2 natural gas geysers. Placing a single WW into such a corridor is probably an easier solution. The access corridor was because I did not want to cool the whole gas cavern needed to store enough for the idle-period of the geyser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, psusi said:

So I just finished analyzing my natural gas vent before it came out of dormancy and I thought I was ready to capture it and pump it into an insulated room with a high pressure vent to store it.  Turns out it comes out of the darn thing at 302F, which is too hot even for a gold amalgam pump.  How do you deal with this?  You have to install hydrogen cooling pipes running to the AETN?

Like Nino I also just use two wheezeworts. My atmo is set at 2k, and temp at 100c just as backup, but I always use this build and it works wonders. Problem with using waterlocks in my build would be that they would freeze because the gas eventually hits -70 odd due to dormancy etc

 

20180702182244_1.jpg.3b210f2b50d6391a26f4d3441669231a.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Like Nino I also just use two wheezeworts. My atmo is set at 2k, and temp at 100c just as backup, but I always use this build and it works wonders. Problem with using waterlocks in my build would be that they would freeze because the gas eventually hits -70 odd due to dormancy etc

 

You could go around that by putting your wheezeworts one tile away further from the NG vent and putting some doors under their pot. If the temperature goes under 10°C, then open the doors and the wheezeworts won't cool anymore. Of course, your build would take 11 tiles in height because you must add a layer of insulated tiles under the doors. But the space and resources are not really a problem if you gain the possibility to access your NG vent ^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my last base I just skipped Nat gas(low output) and went straight to petrol.

But I had a very nice high output 500°C hydrogen vent. Had no wheezworts near my base.

I insulated the room around the geyser. Build a radiator out of metal pipes between the geysers and the pump(the radiator went even behind the pump to cool it), made a loop with a pipe temp sensor at the "end" to drain the loop when the p-water I borrowed from my toilet hit 90°C and to fill in new liquid.

Worked very nice. The water took ages to hit 90°C. After that it went to the sieve. It was germ free 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

You could go around that by putting your wheezeworts one tile away further from the NG vent and putting some doors under their pot. If the temperature goes under 10°C, then open the doors and the wheezeworts won't cool anymore. Of course, your build would take 11 tiles in height because you must add a layer of insulated tiles under the doors. But the space and resources are not really a problem if you gain the possibility to access your NG vent ^^

I like my gas to be super cold, means I can cool other areas with it (I don't but I could) and I have no need for a water lock since once its up and running there should be no reason at all for a dupe to go in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I like my gas to be super cold, means I can cool other areas with it (I don't but I could) and I have no need for a water lock since once its up and running there should be no reason at all for a dupe to go in there.

That's a legit way to think. I was just hinting into water locks being usable. We all have different ways of playing and I think it's fun to see how others handle a problem ^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...