Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

JORGInho

Oxygen not Included for Android and IOS, Please !!!

JORGInho    1

Where's Oxygen not Included for Android and IOS? the audience of these platforms are HUGE, and even if the mobile game was paid, I guarantee it would be worth it, although the game is in beta, I think it would be just the same a wonderful game for Android or IOS

Angpaur    86

Do you really want to melt your phone? ;)

But there is an alternative - steam link app. I was able to stream ONI to my tablet and play. There was only one problem - no ESC key so I couldn't access menu to save the game. But you can always rely on autosave option.

leoroy    53

Since the game seems to really like single-core high speed, I don't think an arm processor we'll be able to run the game with decent fps, as suggested by Albryant.

Yucie    78

Maxing out the hardware also means killing the limited battery power phones currently have as well.

Until wireless charging towers are more commonplace in public places, it's hard to imagine playing games of this caliber outside of the home. It likely won't be that much longer though, given phones are replacing laptops for many people as the years continue to go by.

Keylan    7

Sorry but this topic screams of ignorance on technical knowlege. Most players with potent gaming rigs accept this game drops them down to 20-15 fps while other with more casual PC's cry about droping to slideshows in the lategame.

Putting this game on an phone or tablet has so many issues where the raw hardware performance is just the elephant in the room.

As other said the interface, phones and tablets are not ergonomic and games designed for hours of play have an issue.

This game is still under development (Alpha) and providing multiple versions for diffrent envirionments and on top of that supporting alls those ports at once would use lot of resources currenty designated to develop the game.

R9MX4    829

Qualcomm has brought their Snapdragon 835 to windows. I believe when Qualcomm unveil their Snapdragon 8350K, we can play ONI in mobile phone.

SackMaggie    112
2 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

Qualcomm has brought their Snapdragon 835 to windows. I believe when Qualcomm unveil their Snapdragon 8350K, we can play ONI in mobile phone.

This one got my laugh.

It would make more sense if release on console.

But meh joystick will be real hard work in this game (like using touchpad in dota2).

babba    510

The game would run great on a mobile with a 20 inch screen and a yet to be designed single core cpu @ 8 GHz, with 10 mb 1st level cache, a connected mouse and a ram memory pack of the size of a common mobile. The game runs good on DDR4 memory 32 GB for 300-500 $ usd.  The car battery with an main grid converter, to have it powered for 1 minute, can be carried on a rucksack...its just 5 kilos.

Best is to not use the hands if you tip on a small screen, game is best played with a stylus or if one shrinks both hands to 1/10 of current size.

In 20 years ( 2038 ) it should run with an emulator on a mobile though, having the mobile connected to a large screen and mouse/keyboard. All makes sense.

The whole bonaza already fails on the display issue, not even talking of input, energy, hardware.

scale.jpg

Gurgel    327
4 hours ago, Albryant said:

Would phones even be powerful enough to run this game?

Probably not and by an order of magnitude. This game takes a lot of CPU cycles. Sure, it is single-core, but it is unclear whether that can be changed. It also takes a lot of memory.

Albryant    78
41 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Probably not and by an order of magnitude. This game takes a lot of CPU cycles. Sure, it is single-core, but it is unclear whether that can be changed. It also takes a lot of memory.

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, I see it every so often in the general forum comments with people running into lag problems when they are getting into the thousands of cycles and/or running massive critter farms unless they are running monster rigs. 

Doubt it would work on anything less than 4gb ram a new low budget Computer processor and for display i imagine it on an android display to be horrible to control

Coolthulhu    589
9 hours ago, Albryant said:

High end phone CPUs almost certainly can.

Not sure how good Geekbench 4 is as a video game benchmark, but my old toaster had Intel Core 2 Duo that scores less than 3000 points, while Snapdragon 835 got over 6000. Even if Geekbench overrates multiple cores compared to ONI (I don't know if ONI uses all cores properly - many games fail to do that), even with halved results, it would still win.

Release versions (ie. not preview) are totally playable on a Core Duo with 3gb of RAM. So they would probably be playable on high end phones too. Except for the UI that requires mouse+keyboard and wouldn't work on a phone at all.

CodexDraco    6
2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Not sure how good Geekbench 4 is as a video game benchmark, but my old toaster had Intel Core 2 Duo that scores less than 3000 points, while Snapdragon 835 got over 6000.

That's the thing, benchmarks are designed to measure cores efficiency at specific hypotetycal tasks and not necesarilly represent real life applicability. There are some that try to simulate real life applications but you should always take benchmarks with a grain of salt.

babba    510

It would be possible to create a very dumbed down version of the game on mobile ( with 2% content of this game & buy 100 gems to order another dupe haha  ), but making money for developers on mobile is extremely hard. Often its hard enough to pay a programmer for 1 month. Its much easier to take content from this game and then try to sell it on onsole - Which would be a challenge already, not even talking about that 99.99% of console players have no keyboard or mouse connected to their system. Railroad Tycoon on Dreamcast had a very good handling with a controller, a rare exception of porting a keyboard/mouse game very well from PC to a console. However, nowadays Railroad would feel like playing Tetris. At the time it was a complex game.

I had some i7 gaming notebooks ( MSI GT 70 as an example ) in the past where the batteries melted and then where "flexible" due to heavy game load and heat, exhausting 100 watts of heat from the inside of pro gaming notebooks at $2000 usd. Notebooks still working, batteries like jelly. As with Company of Heroes 2 or Cities Skylines, this is a similar game which is very heavy on a single cpu core ( CoH2 & Cities also utilize graphic cards heavy, ONI doesnt ).

Screenshot: ONI with fully built map, +100 dupes, with 5 minutes loading time - One core on turbo, rest of cores has no work and are not allocated by the game. Fastest mobile phone for $1000 would effectively have 5% oft this machines performance.Not even talking of ****ty mobile memory, if one would be able to run the PC ONI on a mobile, the mobile phone would directly melt away at 0.05 FPS hahahaha. Anyways, happy weekend everyone.

The game runs very well on the i7 8086 cpu ( $400 ), down to very high vanilla GHz with turboboost on one core and lots of 1/2/3 level cpu cache. Shame they dont build single core high performance cpus anymore for our gaming :(

ONI.jpg

JORGInho    1
23 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

It's not designed for mobile in the first place.

How many hours you spend on ONI ? Imagine you play that long on phone.

There are games that I play all day on my cell phone, Oxygen not included is not such a heavy game, it does not require so much graphics and processing

On 21/07/2018 at 1:37 PM, Albryant said:

14 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Se o klei abrir seu jogo para IOS e Android, será depois que o jogo for totalmente lançado.

This I'm 99% sure of

There are games that at times ago NEVER imagined that it was possible to play on a mobile, such as beholder, or PUBG mobile, the requirements for the ONI are a dual core, 4gb ram and a minimal graphics adapter. These games I quoted were very well ported and run on almost every mobile device, I believe the possibility of Oxygen Not Included be ported to Android and IOS, even with limited battery, limitations of CPU and GPU and also a screen of 5 to 10 inches, but for now I go make me content to play on the PC.

I know it's very difficult to develop a game for Pc, with good graphics, gameplay and optimization, especially when the company is not gigantic, but I do believe that the ONI commands are ported to Android one day, even without the ESC, even without Mouse and Keyboard

I'm sorry if my English is not one of the best, because I'm Brazilian, along with millions of others who love Oxygen Not Included, who until a while ago had neither English-Brazilian translation

babba    510

I agree that it would work if the mobile version has 10% of the current game content and attention to detail, 1/20 of map size and with very limited simulation models `` As a developer I would aim for a console version ( which would be hard enough to do ), on mobile it is very hard to have a regular and a decent amount of customer payment income. For Klei it would be good to licence the game title to a small developer or two people for mobile. However, I dont see much benefit of doing that. Anyways, im not Klei. Happy new week :p

P.S. So many great game titles popping out in the next half a year, its already hard enough to compete on PC Steam.

babba    510

Picture of my 1.3 KILO aircooler, to air cool a single core (i7 7700k usd$300 cpu ) to max Intel Turboboost speed @4.5 GHz / 45 celsius, to be able to play the game with 3/4 excavated/built map and +100 dupes with 1to5 FPS per second. 8gb is required to the play the game properly( 3/4 built map & windows 10 ), the system has 32gb ddr4 high speed at usd$500. To play ONI more or less decent in the mid and endgame, a system will consume 150 watts.

To be able to play the game properly in the lategame, I recommend Hydrogen cooling of a core to 8 GHz. However, such a system will also drop down to 1 FPS as a player spends enough time and work in the game map. Its a shame that multiple cores and the gpu are not utilized by the game.

As an easy solution the devs could reduce the game map to 1/4, which would leave us with a map size of 1/16 what it once used to be. The main issue is that the game does not utilize multiple cpu cores and has tiny load on a gpu. 

1_3kilo cooler for ONI.jpg

which would leave us with a map size of 1/16

Actually bigger maps are more fun... but in my tries it quickly was limited by my 8gb sure need some tweaking... On the other hand i have seen a mapsize config on gamestart mod so no problem to make it smaller.