Seriously? 28 Pufts + 127 Morbs = 1 tame Pacu?

I ventured a bit into the math of feeding tame Pacus using the pO -> Slime -> Algae loop.
If I did not make any mistakes, I calculated that you need 28 Pufts to provide enough slime for one tame Pacu. Given no other pO source is used at least 127 Morbs are needed to provide enough pO.

image.png.e6b180b9982b2508beb9994cb7b3c739.png

(the decimal number of algae distillers reflect that they are not running 100%)

That sound hilarious inefficient to me!

I saw in the thread “steel factory” that you can feed a Pacu with 1kg Algae/c resulting in a ratio of 1egg every 15 cycles. Then you would need 1 Puft + 5 Morbs to keep the  Pacu happy alive.

Am I wrong or am I wrong?

Assumptions:
Pacu -140kg Algae /c -> -233g/s
Puft  -50g pO/s -> 25g Slime/s  (irrespective of tame or wild)
Morb  20kg pO / 3 c -> 11g/s

Sources: Oni Biology + Morb-Thread + Steel factor thread + Ingame description
Excel file enclosed.diingsbums.xlsxdiingsbums.xlsx

Geez, I was not even thinking about getting Pacus, now i defo wont be XD I do have puft farms set up but currently their slime goes to my mushrooms, Once I have enough pufts though All excess slime is going to be distilled for polluted water, with algae being the by-product... I suppose it depends on how much Algae I get.

2 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Personally, the Ranching system is incomplete until Pufts and Pacu get an overhaul.  Both are too inefficient to make any significant use of.

I find pufts are ok, I am just using them for meat and slime at the moment, Might as well make use of the polluted oxygen geysers! Since oxygen isn't an issue for me its polluted water I need.

15 minutes ago, malloc said:

What do you need polluted water for?  I have too much now that I no longer build the fertilizer generators.  I only use it for cooling things these days which are mostly closed loops.

with infinite filtration medium now your PW is basically Water for a little energy

30 minutes ago, malloc said:

What do you need polluted water for?  I have too much now that I no longer build the fertilizer generators.  I only use it for cooling things these days which are mostly closed loops.

I use it as my coolant pool at the moment. So once it gets boiled I need more

13 minutes ago, Exa said:

with infinite filtration medium now your PW is basically Water for a little energy

I don't filter my water at all, I just outright boil it.

1 hour ago, habuky said:

I ventured a bit into the math of feeding tame Pacus using the pO -> Slime -> Algae loop. ...

You can reduce number of morbs slightly, by sending polluted water from algae distillery back to produce polluted oxygen. Putting it into lot of refineries looks like fastest way so far (refineries filled with polluted water gas off at very fast rate).

But really, how much meat/egg one pacu produce? How many pufts produce same amount?

2 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

You can reduce number of morbs slightly, by sending polluted water from algae distillery back to produce polluted oxygen. Putting it into lot of refineries looks like fastest way so far (refineries filled with polluted water gas off at very fast rate).

But really, how much meat/egg one pacu produce? How many pufts produce same amount?

Pacus are more prized for their egg shells than the meat. Well at least I am sure thats why.

3 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I don't filter my water at all, I just outright boil it.

Why? 

Boiling 1000g pwater yields 990g steam and 10g dirt

Sieving 1000g pwater yields 1000g water and 200g pdirt (can compost at 1:1 ratio for dirt)

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Why? 

Sieving 1000g pwater yields 1000g water and 200g pdirt (can compost at 1:1 ratio for dirt)

Sieve consumes (infinite) regolith too.

Boiling is still a cool process for massive & passive heat neutralisation.

To OP: morbs seem to Be intended as low input, high germs pests.

If you use pW as slime source, your numbers become a little better.

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

Why? 

Some people consider heat deletion on sieve to be exploit, and heat deletion on polluted water boiling to be honest game physics. It's eternal holy war :):):)

1 minute ago, Carnis said:

Boiling is still a cool process for massive & passive heat neutralisation.

oh I agree it's cool,

Just dirt is more valuable in CU than before and using a sieve seems the best way to farm dirt

Just now, Prince Mandor said:

Some people consider heat deletion on sieve to be exploit, and heat deletion on polluted water boiling to be honest game physics. It's eternal holy war :):):)

Devs have addressed that, it's an intended feature so I don't consider it an exploit 

1 minute ago, Prince Mandor said:

Those people are ill informed :) 

Honestly, this thread had derailed a fair bit, but tl;dr - the output from pufts is ridiculously bad, and it's well documented on the forums.

Search for "morb farm" "puft farm" "slime farm" or "neotuck busting his balls in debug for nothing" and you'll find something about it... (sorry @Neotuck, couldn't resist :p )

I build an Aquarium and put a pacu or 2 in it.  Then I feed them until they have tamed and laid 3 tamed eggs each.  Then I stop all feeding.  Even glum from hunger,  the new pacu will lay at least one and usually 2 eggs before starving. Algae free after that. 

If for some reason I need even more,  I can always feed for a generation and restart the population boom.

14 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

I build an Aquarium and put a pacu or 2 in it.  Then I feed them until they have tamed and laid 3 tamed eggs each.  Then I stop all feeding.  Even glum from hunger,  the new pacu will lay at least one and usually 2 eggs before starving. Algae free after that. 

If for some reason I need even more,  I can always feed for a generation and restart the population boom.

I should give that a try

Archived