What to do about heat

1 hour ago, R9MX4 said:

This construction temperature resetting can apply on every building, and the range depends on what kind of materials you use.

For material which belongs to Liquifiable catalog(eg. snow, ice, Pice), the range is -∞~45C

For material which doesn't belong to Liquifiable catalog, the range is 15C~45C

I thought the item built relies on the temperature of the material entirely? Like I have some abyssalite walls which are from the abyssalite from an oil biome, they are hot but don't seem to bleed the heat.

23 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I thought the item built relies on the temperature of the material entirely?

Not entirely.

When the temperature of material is within the range, The temperature of building equals to average temperature of material. When it's beyond the range, the temperature will be limited by the range. Im not sure when was this feature introduced to the game.

What's your abyssalite tiles' temperature? Does it exceeds 45C?

On 5/10/2018 at 6:55 PM, Kabrute said:

What comes from the sieve is always 40c, 2 tuners later you have a 12c constant, feed that to your bathrooms it becomes 15c avg pwater (from sitting in the bathroom), run that through the radiator to cool the fluid tank for your aquatuners.  Before valve outbound pwater at 10kg would raise to 29c avg, now by splitting it to 5kg with valve, 36c.

So, I can only assume I'm missing something here, because no matter how I spin this in my head I can't make sense of it.  If the Sieve has an output of 40 C, and the Aquatuner reduces contents by 14 C, wouldn't you just use a single Aquatuner?  Or is the base cooling pipe system an integral and required part of this to keep it stable?

I need a water purification system currently, but I have no need for cooling the base (at least atm) because my SPOM is producing O2 that is too cold as it stands.  I have a small hot-spot near my kitchen due to a pool fed straight from my Geyser for a Pitcher Pump for the Microbe Musher, but that's a temporary thing and will go away once I get a stable, cool water supply going for Berries.

so far as my testing has determined nothing is "required" to keep the bloody thing stable, you can literally run it just fine off swamp water using one aquatuner in a smaller pool with less radiators as long as you valve accordingly or let it be backed up for 100% heat transfer.  It has limits but the general arrangement is solid so just use a little trial and error on your flow rates.   I mentioned somewhere way back the whole thing was to simulate saving a base from heat death so I honestly tried to go a tad over board just to counter the excess heat I was bringing into the base.
 A single tuner would be absolutely fine for most normal situations in most normal bases as it still provides a small buffer against heat death while feeding your needs.

oh, my findings were 7  iron radiant pipe segments will transfer 10c to 3kg in a 14c differential

using more pipe segments will allow for higher flow rates or more energy transfered, also the higher the differential temp the more transfered aswell so it kind of becomes self regulating rather quickly

I managed to raise the temp of my coolant pool by 6c over 200 cycles, approximately, feeding in 30+c swamp water

Nothing.

Heat isn't really a problem if you use insulated walls and pipes, keep the worst heat generators outside the insulated core living area.

I have 500+ turn bases that just never have heat issues. It's possible that 5000 turn's would make a difference and the entire asteroid would cook at some point, but in a survival game the current game build just don't seem to have a heat problem.

Are there any lava/geyser less ways of getting heats in the 1k range?  That tuner heat method was fixed in some roundabout way that leads to other exploitable things right?

Regarding heat removal I know i'd be in big trouble if electrolyzers etc output at the heat of their input.

From what I remember there is some heat loss just boiling polluted water.  I think there is some similar heat loss boiling crude oil to petroleum.

44 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Are there any lava/geyser less ways of getting heats in the 1k range?  That tuner heat method was fixed in some roundabout way that leads to other exploitable things right?

Regarding heat removal I know i'd be in big trouble if electrolyzers etc output at the heat of their input.

From what I remember there is some heat loss just boiling polluted water.  I think there is some similar heat loss boiling crude oil to petroleum.

Yes, it is due to the change in Heat Capacity of the substance that is boiled.  The produced substance has a lower Heat Capacity, but is produced at the same temperature as the substance that was consumed.  There is less energy in the Steam than there was in the P-H2O despite being the same temperature, for example, due to the higher Heat Capacity of P-H2O than Steam/Water.

17 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

It works with polluted water => steam, because steam has a lower heat capacity but not with crude oil => petroleum => nat gas. Actually when you heat refine crude oil you generate heat because the heat capacity increases with each refinement step.

Similarly freezing water or polluted water would increase your overall heat because the heat capacity of ice/polluted ice is half as much as the one of the liquids.

Critters are a form of heat removal too.  All the ones you would want in your base hatch at 20c and revert back to 20c when becoming adults. Hatches and longhairs are 400kg and pufts are 50kg.  Didn't check shinebugs but they all had the same thermal properties though for some reason hatches heat up much more slowly.

it isn't that much but is something(likely unintended). 

3 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Critters are a form of heat removal too.  All the ones you would want in your base hatch at 20c and revert back to 20c when becoming adults. Hatches and longhairs are 400kg and pufts are 50kg.  Didn't check shinebugs but they all had the same thermal properties though for some reason hatches heat up much more slowly.

it isn't that much but is something(likely unintended). 

It's probably a result of stomach contents.  Hatches have rocks in their diet, and rock materials as a group have moderately high Heat Capacity.

image.thumb.png.8f8363cd357961482ceba14feb55116e.png
image.thumb.png.9c0ce648b045fec94e5da764ddefdb15.png

image.thumb.png.51a83d346095cbc65afce5617c5147a3.png

the updated model. can handle a maximum limit of 5kg/s throughput, will combat heat death, and is very space efficient compared to its predecessor while also not having the power problems.

4000kg ref Iron ( 52 radiant pipe segments, 3 smart batteries, conductive wire, automation wiring).
no valves needed on this model, the sieve acts as the throttle when necessary.

with a steam turbine, but I wouldn't cool the petrol, I would push it into magma or use oozinators bottle-o-cookinator to cook off the petrol, as for cooling, yeah, steam turbine for high heat deletion in large quantities in a useful result.

randomly, in fits and starts, ultimately went with 2 coal genes, 1 each tuner, then stuck a hydrogene behind 2 transformers (1 each tuner) in this way any excess hydrogen my base generated would go to provide extra power on the water cooler.  It doesn't drain 2.4kw constantly because my base doesn't drink 5kg/s, if it did that would max out the sieve which would feed constant 5kg packets to the tuner.  As long as you keep the system partially backed up it pulls 10kg packets half as often...

On 01.07.2018 at 3:00 AM, Kabrute said:

randomly, in fits and starts, ultimately went with 2 coal genes, 1 each tuner, then stuck a hydrogene behind 2 transformers (1 each tuner) in this way any excess hydrogen my base generated would go to provide extra power on the water cooler.  It doesn't drain 2.4kw constantly because my base doesn't drink 5kg/s, if it did that would max out the sieve which would feed constant 5kg packets to the tuner.  As long as you keep the system partially backed up it pulls 10kg packets half as often...

I just think, why you use two aquatuners?

Sieve can provide only 5 kg/s, and aquatuner can colds 10kg/s

Just link output of aquatuner with its input by valve, set valve on 5 kg/s, and it saves you lot of power.

Yes, water will not be allways exactly at 12C, but it will be good enough (temperature go to 12 as fast, as much water you use)

feedback loops give different values over time and can freeze and break pipes. Yes they do work but have risks.  1 tuner is fine for most bases, 2 tuners will save a base from heat death in 5 cycles or less.

Do I understand this right? I'm kind of a noob...

water gets chilled by 2 aquatuner's -> chilled water goes in toilet -> water is converted into pwater -> pwater is used to cool down aquatuner's tank (transferring heat from tank to pwater) -> pwater get cleaned by sieve (destroying the heat and cleaning water) -> water gets chilled by aquatuner's/restarts the process

Is this consistent? Will the tank ever overheat? What are the valves for? Could someone possibly upload a save so I could get a closer look please?

24 minutes ago, Nullus Maximus said:

Do I understand this right? I'm kind of a noob...

water gets chilled by 2 aquatuner's -> chilled water goes in toilet -> water is converted into pwater -> pwater is used to cool down aquatuner's tank (transferring heat from tank to pwater) -> pwater get cleaned by sieve (destroying the heat and cleaning water) -> water gets chilled by aquatuner's/restarts the process

Is this consistent? Will the tank ever overheat? What are the valves for? Could someone possibly upload a save so I could get a closer look please?

No, toilet waste and whatever other source of polluted water is run through a radiator to cool machinery and the aqua tuner pool itself before being fed into a water sieve. (the idea being, may as well accumulate some heat into the polluted water before it's passed through the sieve - whereby the temp is reset to 40)

The sieves output (now clean) water is cooled through the aquatuners and then fed to plants and toilets. 40 degrees c - 28 degrees c of cooling gives a lovely 12 degrees c end product.

Nothing new here folks - same old stuff from the archives - give @Kabrute a break ;) 

5 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

No, toilet waste and whatever other source of polluted water is run through a radiator to cool machinery and the aqua tuner pool itself before being fed into a water sieve.

So it can not sustain itself off only the polluted water made by toilets and sinks even if the toilets and sinks are the only thing it's feeding cold water to? I'm really only looking to use this for keeping my bathrooms cold and my plants happy with cold water.

it is self sustaining and because of toilets produces extra water over time.  @Nullus Maximus your original premise was exactly right.  By feeding cold water to toilets they produce cold pwater, the breakdown limit is around 60c pwater input, above that and the "coolant tank" could over heat.  Below that and the system deletes heat at a constant providing a steady supply of cold water but it requires overflows and extra inputs to feed anything beyond itself and a few berries.  I have been able to sustain small farms with "excess pee water", however as a means of safely converting slime biomes to useable farm water its a great system.

image.thumb.png.99410a83aab4e3ef8cbf81e8681b03fb.png

I've been busy but once my current system is finished I will upload the save.

Archived