How to Survive Heat With New Average Insulation

I'm not sure how to manage this new heating mechanic in the preview build. The new patch came in, and I loaded up my save. All my plants immediately started dying from the two "cool" steam geysers 10 tiles away. My powerplant cooked my entire base rapidly as well. My 10 Weezeworts were quickly overwhelmed. Entire ice biomes began to rapidly melt from the surrounding heat of other biomes.

Is anyone currently playing the preview build able to cope with this change? If so, what are you doing to survive?

Abyssalite helps by being almost the same quality as normal insulated tiles were before, and normal insulated tiles are now useless.

Plan a bit better. It's a bit of a harsh reality, but you need to plan ahead a bit.

Best rules of thumb are to build your power generators well away from your base, and to thermally isolate anything that generates heat, such as volcanos, geysers, and vents.

Until we get some form of coolant system or building, I'd recommend using the drip exploit, or dumping your heat into pH2O and running it through a water sieve to get that fixed 40oC output.

4 hours ago, Lutzkhie said:

why does no one uses insulated abyss

That isn't working due to Klei using the arithmetic mean. 1+0/2 = 0.5. In other words, the absolute best insulation in the game still transfers heat at 50% of the conductance of the other material.

9 hours ago, R9MX4 said:

Skip today's patch, wait the next patch, and see if there will be any change.

That's what I thought when I read patch notes. Must wait for day or little bit more.

Now it's just a disaster. Yes, we can survive, but biomes transfer temperatures to each other fast. I don't think it is a good idea.

15 hours ago, crypticorb said:

Plan a bit better. It's a bit of a harsh reality, but you need to plan ahead a bit.

Best rules of thumb are to build your power generators well away from your base, and to thermally isolate anything that generates heat, such as volcanos, geysers, and vents.

Until we get some form of coolant system or building, I'd recommend using the drip exploit, or dumping your heat into pH2O and running it through a water sieve to get that fixed 40oC output.

Well, the issue is that cold biomes will slowly be killed.Tested it a few times and Reaching cycle 75-100, majority of the cold biomes were melting and engulfed in heat.

1 minute ago, TheExceed said:

Well, the issue is that cold biomes will slowly be killed.Tested it a few times and Reaching cycle 75-100, majority of the cold biomes were melting and engulfed in heat.

I just discovered the new averaging mechanics dropped on us this morning. Just realizing now how drastic a change it's made on normal gameplay. I just ran a 500 cycle test and nearly every ice biome is melted, and every hot biome is normalized to about 30oC, or colder if near an ice biome.

Just now, crypticorb said:

I just discovered the new averaging mechanics dropped on us this morning. Just realizing now how drastic a change it's made on normal gameplay. I just ran a 500 cycle test and nearly every ice biome is melted, and every hot biome is normalized to about 30oC, or colder if near an ice biome.

Yeah haha, not fun.

16 minutes ago, QuantumPion said:

I don’t know if there is or isn’t currently but it would just be a flat multiplier applied to fluids in pipes to increase their heat conductivity.

According to Kasuha the transfer between pipes and their contents is currently nerfed or bugged, so we don't need to introduce some special 'convective term' we just need to to fix the currently broken transfer.

33 minutes ago, trukogre said:

According to Kasuha the transfer between pipes and their contents is currently nerfed or bugged, so we don't need to introduce some special 'convective term' we just need to to fix the currently broken transfer.

Well whether it is bugged or not there should be a convective heat transfer term for moving fluid if there isn’t one already, even if very simplified as a flat multiplier.

Archived