New geysers are awful

21 minutes ago, trukogre said:

If you were playing some twitch based game where everyone died in 5 minutes, and you were complaining about long queues, that I could understand.  But ONI is all about the long game.

Says enough. Not going to argue.

12 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

Says enough. Not going to argue.

^ Doesn't say enough.  Only six words.

I don't see anything insulting at all in that quote.  Is "saying enough" insulting now? I intentionally say enough, because if one doesn't say enough, that means one said too little, which would make one's argument hard to follow or seem unsupported.   Do you disagree that ONI is a comparatively long game, when compared to twitch-based games which are often over in a few minutes? I don't understand your argument either.  I hope you don't find that to be an attack as well. 

p.s. I believe you're correct about the geyser dormancy thing, it's roughly 150 active cycles and then 60 dormant, or whatever it was on the last page there.

11 minutes ago, trukogre said:

Do you disagree that ONI is a comparatively long game, when compared to twitch-based games which are often over in a few minutes? I don't understand your argument either.  I hope you don't find that to be an attack as well.

p.s. I believe you're correct about the geyser dormancy thing, it's roughly 150 active cycles and then 60 dormant, or whatever it was on the last page there.

I disagree with the need to make that notion. I don't see anything in his or her post that justified a comparison to "twitch based games where everybody died in 5 minutes".

Just to be clear, not out to attack you. I just felt you could have worded it better. And I do agree the long dormancy periods are fine now. Equally friends :D.

I think so too. Just had to check because the info shown ingame can sometimes be confusing or incomplete. And that post made me suddenly doubt it.

Just now, turbonl64 said:

I disagree with the need to make that notion. I don't see anything in his or her post that justified a comparison to "twitch based games where everybody died in 5 minutes".

Just to be clear, not out to attack you. I just felt you could have worded it better. And I do agree the long dormancy periods are fine now. Equally friends :D.

I think so too. Just had to check because the info shown ingame can sometimes be confusing or incomplete.

I disagree with the need to justify my examples with others posts.  My examples illustrate my thoughts and thus are justified by my own thoughts.  The example you point out was used as part of a hypothetical situation that I would understand.  There's absolutely no reason for anyone to be offended by my illustration of a hypothetical situation I would be able to understand; it's mine, not theirs, it's hypothetical, and understanding is not offensive.

3 minutes ago, trukogre said:

I disagree with the need to justify my examples with others posts.  My examples illustrate my thoughts and thus are justified by my own thoughts.  The example you point out was used as part of a hypothetical situation that I would understand.  There's absolutely no reason for anyone to be offended by my illustration of a hypothetical situation I would be able to understand; it's mine, not theirs, it's hypothetical, and understanding is not offensive.

Common, even you have to say "malarkey" at that. It was not hypothetical, it was satirical.

Last I'm going to say about that. Feel free to answer; I'll read it but not going to reply further on it.

12 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

Common, even you have to say "malarkey" at that. It was not hypothetical, it was satirical.

Last I'm going to say about that.

No, it was not satirical.  You don't get to tell me what I meant, you're being offensive now, not me.  The 'even you' is also highly offensive.  Apparently you are indeed out to attack me.  See, when you're trying to tell someone else you think they should be less offensive, but the only way you can make out their posts to be offensive is by assuming they were being satirical and mean the opposite of what they actually said, but you're actually being directly offensive to them...that doesn't work.

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Ok I tried it and It got worse. Far worse.

The problem is not that geysers were active 20-50% of the time and now 50-75% of the time, but the insanely unbearably long periods. Every 200 cycles, every 400 cycles, every 150 cycles.

IFULYiw.png

60 Dormancy cycles is round about perfect i feel.

It needs the player to adjust, but still isnt too extreme long. 90+cycles for example i'd feel to long as dormancy for geysers. about 60 (maybe 50) feels right its not endlessly dormant but still something you cannot completly forget like if its only 20 cycles dormant (then you could basically easily build around it "bridge" that dormancy).

I think that you typically get 2 or 3 power geysers now so the downtime isn't an issue. Maybe you live on coal and hydrogen a bit longer but there's more fun involved in smaller power stations that exploit a variety of geysers. My current base would make Frankenstein proud.

The only geysers that can jog on are the warm co2 and chlorine. Volcanos are harder to use but still interesting.

13 hours ago, itsYiyas said:

I think that you typically get 2 or 3 power geysers now so the downtime isn't an issue. Maybe you live on coal and hydrogen a bit longer but there's more fun involved in smaller power stations that exploit a variety of geysers. My current base would make Frankenstein proud.

The only geysers that can jog on are the warm co2 and chlorine. Volcanos are harder to use but still interesting.

I guess you need some luck involved. You could end up with 2 or 3 warm C02 fumaroles, which I have seen several of my rolls. On the other, I also had rolls with several metal volcanos. Provided you are able to survive long enough, they can be exploited.

Ultimately, I feel volcanos are a better source of energy than natural gas geysers and much more challenging. If maps rolled atleast one standard, I'd be very happy about that.

1 hour ago, turbonl64 said:

Ultimately, I feel volcanos are a better source of energy than natural gas geysers and much more challenging. If maps rolled atleast one standard, I'd be very happy about that.

You do always get atleast 1 volcano, but it is not always magma.

From all the maps I have dug out they have always had one of some type of volcano, 2 in Ice, 2 in Oil, 1 in Caustic.

i ended up with 2 Nat gas geysers + another 2 from the random ones, I eventually started to liquify the second geyser and have no idea what to do with the other two. I also found a hydrogen geyser, no clue what to do with it either XD

My Copper volcano bugged out as well which kinda sucked. The copper when solidifying managed to eject itself past my doors.

2 hours ago, cpy said:

We need some sort of pressurized gas tanks storage or something.

Personally i would love that, as mentioned I am liquefying my Natural gas because I might as well keep the excess instead of wasting it. 

You can technically cram as much as you want in a room using doors and automation, but for me that is not something I like to do. 

2 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Personally i would love that, as mentioned I am liquefying my Natural gas because I might as well keep the excess instead of wasting it. 

You can technically cram as much as you want in a room using doors and automation, but for me that is not something I like to do. 

What does liquid natural gas turn into or is it just liquid natural gas?  how are you liquefying and storing the liquid?

32 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

What does liquid natural gas turn into or is it just liquid natural gas?  how are you liquefying and storing the liquid?

You have to supercool it, below -161.5°C. If I am correct, it turns into methane. Once you liquified it, you can pump it away through abyssalite pipes into an abyssalite sealed storage room.

34 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

It turns into Methane in a liquid state, I used a Anti Entropy Thermo Nullifier and use Hydrogen gas running through a radiator in a room of natural gas. I was using it directly on the geyser but I think without there being a filler gas (Hydrogen) in the room with the geyser it takes far too long to liquefy all of the gas. If I moved the Natural Gas elsewhere and chilled it then It would have been fine. 

The AETN was a 64 tile room with a Granite Radiator filled with 20kg of Hydrogen per tile.

The Geyser room was a 64 tile room with a Granite Radiator with only Natural Gas in the room (I reckon if I had hydrogen in the room as well to help with the cooling it might have been a much quicker process. but it was my first atempt at cooling a material right from a geyser)

I stored it in the geyser room but like turbonl64 said you can pump it away in abyssalite pipes and it wont warm up

Archived