Tenured Scientists REQUIRED for geysers?????

I don't just run natural gas generators for energy.  I run them for polluted water and CO2 to feed to slicksters.  My bases die of all my natural gas generators stop running even if I have enough energy production from other sources.  My thermoregulators overheat and break and oxygen wouldn't get to the base.

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

That's also assuming you need to have your generators running 100% of the time and no one does after smart batteries were added

If your goal is to use insults to prove your opinion then you are wasting my time

No, it's assuming that I run some generators off the geysers 100% of the time, and run other generators off my fertilizer makers as needed , controlled by smart batteries. :)  Which is a 100% true assumption, because that's exactly what I do.  Still, if we're talking about evening out production, and your retort is "what if you're not using your geysers fully?", that's just irrelevant to me.  Even if you don't run any generators at some point, it's still trivial to take gas out and store it somewhere.  Total production doesn't even out, and that's clearly what's being referenced here.  Your counterexample is just moving the goalposts, and it's wasting my time, so let's agree to disagree, :)

Just now, trukogre said:

let's agree to disagree

fair enough, but next time please don't insult the intelligence of other players.  Even if they are wrong talking down to them sours the mood of every one who simply are asking for help

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

fair enough, but next time please don't insult the intelligence of other players.  Even if they are wrong talking down to them sours the mood of every one who simply are asking for help

I wasn't aware of any insults.  Perhaps we should just avoid replying to each other at all in the future :)

best wishes.

Is tenured scientist need for the geyser to emit gas, or just to "understand" it?

Also, in last playthrough I put just one duplicant to research and had a tenured scientist out of him before I finished the research tree and way before I broke out of the starting biome, so I don't see that as such a big problem. Unless duplicant leveling was slowed down.

6 minutes ago, trukogre said:

I found your replies insulting, and didn't think mine were, so let's actually just agree not to respond to each other at all in the future :)

really? well lets look at it

"No, that's not remotely close to 'evening out'."

this was a bit vague statement (this was before you edited it) which is why I asked you to clarify it with some math

"Did you really need that spelled out for you?"

yes I did that's why I asked so now I'm asking you why you felt the need to talk down to me?

13 minutes ago, trukogre said:

I wasn't aware of any insults.  Perhaps we should just avoid replying to each other at all in the future :)

best wishes.

now I see you edited your last post so I guess this topic is closed

11 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Is tenured scientist need for the geyser to emit gas, or just to "understand" it?

That's an interesting question.  I would view some of these geysers as impediments, not benefits (YMMV), so if not studying, say, a CO2 geyser leaves it dormant then that would save me the trouble of capping it.

7 minutes ago, goboking said:

That's an interesting question.  I would view some of these geysers as impediments, not benefits (YMMV), so if not studying, say, a CO2 geyser leaves it dormant then that would save me the trouble of capping it.

I didn't know there was a CO2 geyser I would like to see some players make that useful.  Only thing I can think of is slicksters and dust caps 

Just now, Neotuck said:

I didn't know there was a CO2 geyser I would like to see some players make that useful.  Only thing I can think of is slicksters and dust caps 

There's also carbon skimmers so you can convert water into polluted water in a non-exploit way. And will also delete heat in the process. Note there's actually two different CO2 geysers now. One hot gas and one cold liquid CO2.

Just now, Saturnus said:

There's also carbon skimmers so you can convert water into polluted water in a non-exploit way. And will also delete heat in the process. Note there's actually two different CO2 geysers now. One hot gas and one cold liquid CO2.

so many new ways to play so little time :D

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Liquid CO2 geyser seems like a nice addition to the heat management portfolio. Dumping a cold resource into the game instead of just destroying heat is a nice change of pace.

Just now, Supraluminal said:

Liquid CO2 geyser seems like a nice addition to the heat management portfolio. Dumping a cold resource into the game instead of just destroying heat is a nice change of pace.

agreed

9 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

so many new ways to play so little time :D

There's definitely "good maps" and "bad maps" now compared to before. Before you we're certain a particular strategy would work because you roughly knew what resources you would have when you eventually found and capped all the geysers on the map. Now it's a lot more random which makes it a lot more diverse but also very difficult for a new player because his/her map could be totally different from one he/she had seen a streamer play so he/she can't use the same strategy.

4 minutes ago, Supraluminal said:

It's a drop in the ocean though as over half the new geysers are hot enough to feed a steam turbine so efficient heat deletion is much more needed now.

@Neotuck Maybe you should use spoiler tag espacially for the screen capture of the new geysers.

And about geysers, I really love the idea, it gives some works for the Tenured Scientist after he did all the research. We can imagine for other materials.

2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

My bases die of all my natural gas generators stop running even if I have enough energy production from other sources.

Sounds like a single point of failure, and a great moment to consider iterating.  I'd suggest using the new features to re-engineer a bit of your seemingly templated approach.  @Saturnus already covered some additional options.

58 minutes ago, rodr said:

Sounds like a single point of failure, and a great moment to consider iterating.  I'd suggest using the new features to re-engineer a bit of your seemingly templated approach.  @Saturnus already covered some additional options.

The thing is that it isn't a problem in the occupation update.  Geyser reliably provide enough natural gas to run about 2.5 nat gas generators.  I just want to know if it will still work in the new update or if I need to change anything for the new update.

Really hope they add other sources of water at some point...apart from the annoying to cool water geyser and the limited starting water.

I do admit that coal power might be finally worth it if geysers become to problematic.

I mean they're essentially buffing livestock in this update so mass farming hatches for food and coal might be worth it

Edit: They added a sludge geyser?

If fertilizers are still a thing then that's free hatch food and natural gas right there at reasonable temperatures

15 minutes ago, Hanro50 said:

Really hope they add other sources of water at some point...apart from the annoying to cool water geyser and the limited starting water.

I do admit that coal power might be finally worth it if geysers become to problematic.

I mean they're essentially buffing livestock in this update so mass farming hatches for food and coal might be worth it

Edit: They added a sludge geyser?

If fertilizers are still a thing then that's free hatch food and natural gas right there at reasonable temperatures

there is a water geyser now.  It produces more water then the steam fumarole (old steam geysers)

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

there is a water geyser now.  It produces more water then the steam fumarole (old steam geysers)

Yea...went digging in the files since I wanted to see what I would need to change and, surprisingly, the custom poi I had for the naturem biome I used in one of my mods still seemed to be using the older geysers.

My only problem is figuring out how to effectively balance geyser placement if and when I release a update to my worldgen mods. 

13 hours ago, Saturnus said:

It's a drop in the ocean though as over half the new geysers are hot enough to feed a steam turbine so efficient heat deletion is much more needed now.

At least the steam turbine eats some of that heat? or has that been changed?

6 hours ago, Hanro50 said:

There is Polluted Water Geysers, so thats another water source

If the natural gas geyser will no longer support 2.5 NG generators, how can I stop the update from loading until I finish all I want on my 1000+ cycle current game?  I play survival with minimal dupes and it takes a long time to get things done, but its not stressful because plenty of oxy and good food with few dupes!  It would take me forever to get a new power system up and going and my current map wouldn't have the new geysers that may make steam turbine work.

5 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

If the natural gas geyser will no longer support 2.5 NG generators, how can I stop the update from loading until I finish all I want on my 1000+ cycle current game?  I play survival with minimal dupes and it takes a long time to get things done, but its not stressful because plenty of oxy and good food with few dupes!  It would take me forever to get a new power system up and going and my current map wouldn't have the new geysers that may make steam turbine work.

Turn off steam auto updates, enable it once you are happy? 

Archived