Tenured Scientists REQUIRED for geysers?????

Other than Natural Gas geysers I have not found any with over 100 cycles. longest was 86 cycles or something, which in the grand scheme of things isn't exactly that long, and the resources I seem to be getting from one lasts number wise at least half the dormant period (Lasted longer because I had no need or use for the Natural Gas for 200 cycles)

2 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Other than Natural Gas geysers I have not found any with over 100 cycles. longest was 86 cycles or something, which in the grand scheme of things isn't exactly that long, and the resources I seem to be getting from one lasts number wise at least half the dormant period (Lasted longer because I had no need or use for the Natural Gas for 200 cycles)

I mean, 86 cycles is 14 hours at standard speed. Putting mechanics totally aside, that's a long dang time just in terms of the player experience. Geysers are a gameplay element that people will want to interact with - you build your system for capturing/processing/storing the output, you see if it works, you adjust the parts where it fails and refine it to work better over time.

Systems-driven games like ONI are so much about iteration: Build a system, observe the system, change the system, observe results of changes, repeat ad infinitum. When you make the iteration period for a system potentially many hours long, you're really stretching a player's patience and capabilities. This is one part (not the only part) of why managing heat in ONI can be quite tricky.

Is anyone else having issues researching the geysers?  I have a top tier scientist at 100%.  I did give it another job and it went to research the geyser anyway, but I get no status update on the research.  I switched the job back to scientist, same thing.  Do I need to keep powered research stations? 

To answer my own question, if you have a sweep order on a geyser while researching, you get no feedback.  Bug?  Bad Design?5aa985ecae38e_ScreenShot2018-03-14atMarch1420183_26_48PM.png.4f75c8382a4eeb2bb414218f01911608.png5aa985e738291_ScreenShot2018-03-14atMarch1420183_23_54PM.png.de69b72d4719be1a6ce88c3060d29f20.png

How is your dupe not dying to the scalding? After he is finished researching it a funny wee weather attachment goes onto it for measuring wind speed (Yeah not sure why) and then you can view it, sometimes though even with the machine on you need to click off and on it a few times for it to work

Archived