I'm Them ._.

So I really love this game. It's like the only game that's ever really appealed to me in... a long time. It looks like a lot of fun, and I'd really like to play it, but I worry that I might love it too much, and I had a bad experience with video games in the past. I don't have anyone to play with anyway, and I can't really justify purchasing it to a certain someone, who worries about me, and would certainly see the $15 purchase. But I do enjoy watching people play the game, and helping where I can, without actually being able to join.

Maxwell once said, I don't know what they want. They... they just watch.And I kind of feel like he's talking about me, because... well... that's pretty much all I can do. But it's something at least, so I just wanted to thank people who record their gameplay, for playing this awesome game and being kind enough to share it with people like me. As for what I want, I dunno... defeating the Bee Queen with On Tentacles?

I got into the forums once I noticed my gf was about to murder me if I kept talking about the game, so yeah, if you get to love the game "too much" you are now in the right place. Welcome to the forums!

And yes buy the game and try it, you will surely find people to play with, be it from the forums or just from hanging around in public games.

38 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Moved to General Discussion. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I got into the forums once I noticed my gf was about to murder me if I kept talking about the game, so yeah, if you get to love the game "too much" you are now in the right place. Welcome to the forums!

And yes buy the game and try it, you will surely find people to play with, be it from the forums or just from hanging around in public games.

Really, it's just that if I did buy it, it'd show up on our credit card and... eh, I don't want to have to deal with that argument. Especially not without evidence that it wouldn't be another repeat of the Minecraft mishap.

41 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

it's weird, this is one of the games I can't watch others play. twitch streamers are usually just playing with friends, talking to eachother, and showing 0 interest in chat. i'm curious who/what kindled an interest.

Spoiler

It allows me to pretend I have friends.

But seriously, it's fun being able to see people working together and helping each other out. Watching people play with friends, talking to each other, it's a lot easier to watch than a sports team who you can't even hear! I uh... don't really like Twitch though, or livestreaming really. It's better when they upload the video somewhere, and let people chat about it after it's finished, instead of covering up their gameplay video for the 72nd time with a majestic beefalo announcing gameraccount37 has just become a subscriber.

On 28/02/2018 at 10:37 AM, kertinker said:

I worry that I might love it too much, and I had a bad experience with video games in the past.

What's all this talk about bad experiences with video games, if you don't mind me asking? Mentioning this and the "Minecraft mishap" makes it all sound so ominous. Video games should be a good time. :D

4 hours ago, Cellby said:

What's all this talk about bad experiences with video games, if you don't mind me asking? Mentioning this and the "Minecraft mishap" makes it all sound so ominous. Video games should be a good time. :D

But they are also designed to be addictive, and I bet most people on this forum have had at least a couple of occasions where they overdid it in spite of themselves. I know I have!

This is only one of two games I’ve played in 30+ years.   It is brilliant and hopefully will be around for a long time.   The method of interaction with the environment is so much better than other survival games.   Coincidentally both games were 2d.

a virtual 3D dst would be absolutely terrifying 

12 hours ago, Mencken said:

This is only one of two games I’ve played in 30+ years.   It is brilliant and hopefully will be around for a long time.   The method of interaction with the environment is so much better than other survival games.   Coincidentally both games were 2d.

a virtual 3D dst would be absolutely terrifying 

Yeah I very much like the way everything you see in DST have at least one way to be used (with exceptions e.g. LAVAPOOLS). The trick is to figure how you can better/simplifie your "life" in the world with the things in front of you.

Edit: it looks like lavapools are useful  kind of ...

16 hours ago, Cellby said:

Oh, it's nothing especially notable! I just found myself a little bit extra vulnerable to operant conditioning. Find chicken, feed chicken, build base for chickens, check if chickens can be fed, dig in mine for supplies, check feeding, check digging, check feeding, check digging... and now you have 574 chickens, 7 loyal wolves who all need regular meat fetched from your 100 cow herdblob, and 17 hours of your life lost. The search for diamonds turned out to be outright gambling, with a simple equivalency between pulling the lever on a slot machine, and breaking the next rock in the mine. At the time, I hadn't yet figured out how vital voice chat is to games (since you can't play while typing in chat), so I wasn't able to socialize, or do anything besides grind basically. Combine that with an infinite world that never runs out of things for you to do, I sort of... burned out on it so bad that now it gives me a migrane, if I even so much as try to watch minecraft gameplay. :?

Don't Starve lacks a lot of that variable ratio scheduling, having easy to assess resources, no real sort of grinding required, and a natural stopping point every 8 minutes. There are the rare drops, such as the bundling wrap blueprint, but quite honestly, strategic console commands could avoid turning that into a gambling incentive. There are the gift skins, but thankfully they only make the game prettier, and aren't actually making it easier to play.

When people can talk to each other, it's easier to play in moderation, than when you're just staring blankly at a slot machine all day. (Guess why they make slot machines so noisy?) So combining voice chat, with a wonderful game like this... I'm cautiously optimistic I might be able to play it!

12 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

But they are also designed to be addictive, and I bet most people on this forum have had at least a couple of occasions where they overdid it in spite of themselves. I know I have!

It's true that the industry is rife with such vile practices, but some games are designed that way more than others. What you need to watch out for is that "variable ratio scheduling" where performing a repetitive task, you randomly succeed some of the time, but not all of the time. So if they start adding loot crates to Don't Starve, it's time to mourn the loss of a good game and find something else to do. Otherwise, it should be good... I think.

10 hours ago, Mencken said:

I'm growing convinced that video games should be in 2D. 3D appeals to our primal ape-brain, because it mimics what we see in real life, but it's still a two dimensional computer screen. I think there are some hard limits there, that could only be overcome with VR, or augmented reality or the like. Long as I'm playing a game on a monitor, there are going to be things concealed from me if it projects the illusion of a 3rd dimension. It's bad enough in DST, when you need to rotate the camera just to hit something hidden behind a tree.

15 minutes ago, csc_unit said:

Yeah I very much like the way everything you see in DST have at least one way to be used (with exceptions e.g. LAVAPOOLS). The trick is to figure how you can better/simplifie your "life" in the world with the things in front of you.

Lava pools can be used to farm butterflies. Anyway, yes I think the trick is that it doesn't try to be realistic. "Combine grass and twigs to make a lit torch?" They don't have to have a ton of useless cruft that just clutters up the game, that only exists because "that's totally how it would happen in real life." It doesn't need to make sense, as long as the logic of that world is internally consistent. We can just have our torches, without requiring us to chop trees with stone tools, so we can smoke charcoal, allowing us to fuel a smelter, which we can use to forge steel beams, which we can use to build a factory, which we can use to manufacture cigarette lighters, which we can use to set fire to some grass and twigs.

On 2/27/2018 at 6:37 PM, kertinker said:

So I really love this game. It's like the only game that's ever really appealed to me in... a long time. It looks like a lot of fun, and I'd really like to play it, but I worry that I might love it too much, and I had a bad experience with video games in the past. I don't have anyone to play with anyway, and I can't really justify purchasing it to a certain someone, who worries about me, and would certainly see the $15 purchase. But I do enjoy watching people play the game, and helping where I can, without actually being able to join.

Maxwell once said, I don't know what they want. They... they just watch.And I kind of feel like he's talking about me, because... well... that's pretty much all I can do. But it's something at least, so I just wanted to thank people who record their gameplay, for playing this awesome game and being kind enough to share it with people like me. As for what I want, I dunno... defeating the Bee Queen with On Tentacles?

Awe man! :(

I have a free copy of steam, do you want it? I don't even know how I got it. I think when you buy the game they give you a free copy for a friend. But all my friends already had the game when I got it.

As for killing Bee Queen with tentacles... I'm just gonna say, Wicker is god. 

8 minutes ago, Naechan said:

Awe man! :(

I have a free copy of steam, do you want it? I don't even know how I got it. I think when you buy the game they give you a free copy for a friend. But all my friends already had the game when I got it.

As for killing Bee Queen with tentacles... I'm just gonna say, Wicker is god. 

Yeah, you get a free copy for a friend when you buy it. Thanks for offering! I certainly wouldn't mind. I'd even be happy to pay it back somehow, if the game works well. It's really more of a records issue for me than a money issue.

As for as for killing Bee Queen with tentacles, Wicker is god... until you try to pick up the loot! :o

11 minutes ago, kertinker said:

Yeah, you get a free copy for a friend when you buy it. Thanks for offering! I certainly wouldn't mind. I'd even be happy to pay it back somehow, if the game works well. It's really more of a records issue for me than a money issue.

As for as for killing Bee Queen with tentacles, Wicker is god... until you try to pick up the loot! :o

Well, up to you, I don't want you to get in troubles. But if you want it you can have it for free. I had the copy for over a year now, as I said all of my friends already own the game so not much I can do with it. 

And yeah, I died a couple of times because I got greedy piking up the loot. That is why I always bring a life amulet with me and I drop it on the ground near by just in case. But you can just run in and pick the items one by one really fast. Or use the lazy forager amulet if you are fancy. As long as you don't get impatient like I do and try to pick up more then one item at a time you are safe. :p

43 minutes ago, Naechan said:

Well, up to you, I don't want you to get in troubles. But if you want it you can have it for free. I had the copy for over a year now, as I said all of my friends already own the game so not much I can do with it. 

And yeah, I died a couple of times because I got greedy piking up the loot. That is why I always bring a life amulet with me and I drop it on the ground near by just in case. But you can just run in and pick the items one by one really fast. Or use the lazy forager amulet if you are fancy. As long as you don't get impatient like I do and try to pick up more then one item at a time you are safe. :p

I won't get in trouble, don't worry about that. Sanity, I can't guarantee, but I bet it'll be a lot of fun!

Lazy Forager is great, but expensive! Plus you could miss out on crafting a Lazy Explorer which is just terrible. You can get a "free" Lazy Forager though, if you find an orange gem on a cave hole, making up for the orange gem you spent. Of course, if you have the orange gems to spare, since (of course) you farmed the Dragonfly with tentacles...

1 hour ago, JellyUltra said:

Lava pools make any flammable items around them smolder, and you can use that for some interesting farms in combination with a flingo.

See?! Everything has a use. If it react to a world parameter, you can make it useful somehow. Here, the lavapool so strongly hot that it makes anything flammable burst into flammes. If you're creative you can make use of that. One could even find a way to properly find a way to exploit the thin permanent light they emit. 

Very elegant I'd say. 

Spoiler

The main reason I picked lavapools has example is because I made a very succesful post in suggestion/feedback about them couple days ago and I'm not over it yet XD

20 minutes ago, kertinker said:

I won't get in trouble, don't worry about that. Sanity, I can't guarantee, but I bet it'll be a lot of fun!

Awesome, do you have a steam account so I can send it to you?

48 minutes ago, Naechan said:

Awesome, do you have a steam account so I can send it to you?

It's the same as my account name here, I think. "kertinker?" Does this work?

54 minutes ago, Raspberry Milk said:
  Hide contents

Image result for minecraft merch

Image result for minecraft merch

5a98c4449c53e_Drawing(29).png.baa8daf0b504fa0b4c015081ebe40df0.png

I think you get the idea.

I was unlucky enough to have been playing Minecraft during the update where they first gave Creepers the ability to climb down ladders. Everything was blown to smithereens... I probably should've taken the hint then.

6 minutes ago, kertinker said:

I was unlucky enough to have been playing Minecraft during the update where they first gave Creepers the ability to climb down ladders. Everything was blown to smithereens... I probably should've taken the hint then.

I'm going to take that as an anagram for it's sad state today.

5 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Wait, they can do that?!

Thanks for the warning 0-0

Yes, you have to put a hatch on top to keep them out. Or... you did a number of years ago, at least.

Just now, Raspberry Milk said:

I'm going to take that as an anagram for it's sad state today.

Say what you like about the dark undertones of "Don't Starve" but Minecraft has always been a game about loneliness and despair.

Archived