What is the point of Insulated tiles, pipes and vents if you have Abyssalite?

Using of different materials seems to be never finished upgrade over old system of normal/insulated block/pipe.

I am avoiding use of Abyss, this is game exploit for me. Let me quote myself from another post:

I guess that original game architecture was planned in following way:

1. Basic supplies (XXX rock) lays everywhere, so Dupes does not waste any time constructing basic things
  2. Advanced supplies for creation of machinery (XXX ore) are in separate patches in every biome, so Dupes has to walk limited distance
  3. Premium supplies (metals) for premium devices (e.g. 2kW wires) are created in Main Base only, so require double trip (ore to base, metal to construction site)

So player should think twice, before using premium supply in distant location. Unfortunately, with current implementation Materials frequently puts premium class burden (transport from other biome) on use of basic supplies.

Contradictory, use of Abyss provides better then premium-class properties, while using material that do not need to be processed in Main Base.

So currently Materials do not fit balanced into gamplay, and are one of things that just f*k up late game for me.

It can be useful early on, before you dig out a ton of abyssalite, but still need to insulate some big room. For example, to build a perimeter on The Rock mapgen option. It actually insulates pretty well - you can have 300C steam on one side and 30C oxygen on the other, for tens of cycles.

Other than that, it's redundant.

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Insulated tiles, pipes and vents cannot even compete with abyssalite. Abyssalite is quite abdurant on the map and the question si: why would you use insulated materials if you have Abyssalite? The only offset of Ab. is that it takes some time to mine it.

Insulated tiles/pipes only get 0.1 of the primary element's thermal properties.

12 hours ago, Maciej75 said:

I am avoiding use of Abyss, this is game exploit for me. Let me quote myself from another post:

Can you explain to me how using a material that's specifically been placed in the game with the properties that it has can possibly be an exploit? That's almost like saying steam geysers are an exploit because they give a never-ending supply of clean water. 

Things that you feel are unbalanced != exploits. 

27 minutes ago, Keyimin said:

steam geysers are an exploit because they give a never-ending supply of clean water. 

Yes

27 minutes ago, Keyimin said:

Can you explain to me

If you was not able to understand, what I did write, then explanation is impossible.

11 minutes ago, Maciej75 said:

Yes

No. Just no. You can dislike it and feel it's wrong all you want. You can disagree with the devs' choice to make something part of the game. But that is not what "exploit" means, and it's a bit tiring to see people throw that word around for everything they simply don't like. 

And to be clear, I have no issue with you playing (or not playing) the game however your heart desires. But when people start calling the most basic elements of the game "cheaty" and "exploits," it's misleading at best and manipulative at worst.

And please don't take my quotes out of context so that it looks like I said something that I didn't.

EDIT: Since you were kind enough to add this gem to your original post after I responded:

If you was not able to understand, what I did write, then explanation is impossible.

I understand perfectly that you don't understand what exploit means. No further explanation needed lol.

22 minutes ago, Keyimin said:

what exploit means.

Oh yes, here can be misunderstanding. For example: "heat cancelers" are exploit for me.

Counter-physical functionality in game constructed around physical simulation engine is exploit.
Things that are "alpha stub" (a.k.a. mock-up) are exploits.
Or if developer did not understand consequences of his actions.

Things, that are parts of some "Master plan" of game, are not exploit.
E.g. "Anti Entropy" machine can be anti-entropy because "waving hand" is official part of sci-fi business (e.g. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HandWave). 

41 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

...between this and your little tantrum thread regarding the Dev Stream, I think I can say pretty soundly that this game is not for you.

Agree. But it was game for me! 

I had a problem - I couldn't cool down Oxygen by cooling water used for Electrolyzer. So I googled, got here and learned about all those exploits.

So knowing this all, I cry to heaven now, hoping that new "Happy coding" team can put game back on old track.

They are by putting abysalite behind a mining wall, perhaps if they put building with abys behind a builder level wall then you will be happy, as is insulated provides an additional bonus to insulative property of materials used thus you can tweak to an exact transfer rate or just "good enough" for example, a 40c difference doesn't bother obsidian insulated gas lines in the least so my electrolizer setup uses that where thermal insulation is needed :) it really depends on how extreme you need your insulative properties to be.

2 hours ago, Keyimin said:

I understand perfectly that you don't understand what exploit means. No further explanation needed lol.

Don't worry, all this guy wants to do is complain and make up reasons that he is right... Just look at some of his other posts!

You are correct @Keyimin - using terms like exploit for a steam geyser or a wheezewort is completely incorrect and shows a lack of understanding.

11 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Insulated abyssalite tiles are useful at extreme heats (>500 C).  At those heats, the standard abyssalite tiles will slowly leak heat, which can be a problem.

Good to know thank you. A quick test showed me that I can go back to using temp shift plates that overlap the abyssalite. The difference over a handful of cycles is night and day. Insulted is still at 20C and none insulated is rising fast.

image.png.16b4af0bc279ea913de34cc163993423.png

On 2/11/2018 at 5:46 PM, Tobruk said:

Insulated tiles/pipes only get 0.1 of the primary element's thermal properties.

It's not exactly thermal properties - conductivity and capacity aren't changed, it's just that all heat transfer is divided by 10 (or 5?). It may also be rounded afterwards.

I recall someone saying that insulated pipes are bugged and don't actually insulate any better. I think it was @Risu.

9 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

I recall someone saying that insulated pipes are bugged and don't actually insulate any better. I think it was @Risu.

They get their insulating properties by being more massive than normal pipes. No special hacks for them, unlike the tiles.

15 minutes ago, Risu said:

They get their insulating properties by being more massive than normal pipes. No special hacks for them, unlike the tiles.

Not entirely true, insulated tiles get an insulation factor of 0.01 while the insulated conduits get a factor of 0.05 the problem with that is that the is insulator flag has an override set to 1 wth o.o

10 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

Not entirely true, insulated tiles get an insulation factor of 0.01 while the insulated conduits get a factor of 0.05 the problem with that is that the is insulator flag has an override set to 1 wth o.o

Insulated tiles have the component required to tell the simulator about that insulation factor. The conduits do not, therefore the number is meaningless. Can't add the component to the conduits either because the insulation is bound to the cell, not the building, which would be complete chaos.

Here is the quick answer: No. Abyssalite is better in all cases and is abundant enough to use. You should only use insulated tiles if you want something to leak heat. 

Also, an exploit is using something that's in the game that wasn't intended to be there. A bug basically. So, the old overpressurizing puddle over vent trick: exploit. Steam geysers: not an exploit. To throw that word around so often is either belligerent or ignorant. One of those is acceptable and correctable, one is not. ;)

Archived