Occupational Upgrade Steam Turbine

Must say I am sad what they said in the stream. Basically we havent tested it, we will se if the players will use it as it is now. They say you have to pump the steam away or something. Problem with pumping the steam away is 10 kg/s = 20 pumps. Even if you wanted to run 20 pumps you cant, they will die after awhile in the heat. You have 2 options left is to Condensate it or use doors to pump it. 

But the biggest problem is that it is fixed out put on the heat. So what ever temp you put in you will get out 450 Kelvin (177C). So if you want to run it even efficient you need to control the in temp close to 525K (252C). But with magma and no temp sensor that go over 250C it will close to impossible. 

With that in mind, Complexity of the project to build a steam generator set up is way to high. The time to set it up, well I dont know how long it will take. 

I did build it in de bug mode and the 20 ton of lava that I use did last for an amazing time of 5 cycles. Sure I didnt control the temp of the steam so I wasted lots of heat that way. But I dont have any good way to control it. 

So the question is will I ever build it like it is now. No.

29 minutes ago, Paul17041993 said:

huh...

Screenshot_128.png

Helicona was abanded by developers, this project can be selected at the game start, but half of the items cannot be constructed in Helicona, like atmosuits - no red fibers, there is no oil biomes, sad story, for ONI developers it's predictable to create something on half and drop it as it is.

1 hour ago, NanoD said:

Must say I am sad what they said in the stream. Basically we havent tested it, we will se if the players will use it as it is now. They say you have to pump the steam away or something. Problem with pumping the steam away is 10 kg/s = 20 pumps. Even if you wanted to run 20 pumps you cant, they will die after awhile in the heat. You have 2 options left is to Condensate it or use doors to pump it. 

But the biggest problem is that it is fixed out put on the heat. So what ever temp you put in you will get out 450 Kelvin (177C). So if you want to run it even efficient you need to control the in temp close to 525K (252C). But with magma and no temp sensor that go over 250C it will close to impossible. 

With that in mind, Complexity of the project to build a steam generator set up is way to high. The time to set it up, well I dont know how long it will take. 

I did build it in de bug mode and the 20 ton of lava that I use did last for an amazing time of 5 cycles. Sure I didnt control the temp of the steam so I wasted lots of heat that way. But I dont have any good way to control it. 

So the question is will I ever build it like it is now. No.

My lava/igneous lasts way longer than 5 cycles - were you boiling the steam from water using the magma ?

I've separated my chambers and tweaked my build a little - and I think the steam turbine is more than viable now - albeit the reward is still woefully low considering the amount of time/resources it would take to build.

Here's a screenie of my current set up after I simplified it a lot.

It's now temperature regulated, and can't be over-cooked by the magma (which was a flaw in my last build). Trying to record a vid to show it, but the bin men are making too much noise :p

image.thumb.png.257ab413355b31b8f04d33b0fa0e9e6d.png

Cooker room steam temp :

image.thumb.png.1fe27e90354f6966dfe6e931fae1ca0f.png

Boiler room switch (to toggle magma)

image.thumb.png.3f81268200cfa05cd65c9c6bcbe64f22.png

It's been running for 30 cycles or so with no issues - steam seems to be gradually rising, but can be throttled with valves if needed (seems to be consuming less than 2kg/s of steam per geyser). I'll try and get a short vid up soon.x

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

My lava/igneous lasts way longer than 5 cycles - were you boiling the steam from water using the magma ?

No. But I didnt block the intake. 

And in my build I probably over heated the steam more than you do.

It dont consume any steam any more. 

3 minutes ago, NanoD said:

No. But I didnt block the intake. 

And in my build I probably over heated the steam more than you do.

It dont consume any steam any more. 

Well mine definitely consumes steam... I've been pumping in 4kg/s for 600 seconds for many, many cycles and it's been vanishing into the ether :p 

32 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Well mine definitely consumes steam... I've been pumping in 4kg/s for 600 seconds for many, many cycles and it's been vanishing into the ether :p 

Did run a simple test in lataste build and I didnt lose any steam. It was with no blocking.

I stand corrected there is steam loss even if it is not blocked. 

1 hour ago, NanoD said:

Must say I am sad what they said in the stream. Basically we havent tested it, we will se if the players will use it as it is now. They say you have to pump the steam away or something.

Right way would be to build one while streaming. They should deactivate debugmode, to get real playerreactions. I don't like to hear something from a dev.

1 minute ago, Oozinator said:

Right way would be to build one while streaming. They should deactivate debugmode, to get real playerreactions. I don't like to hear something from a dev.

That exacltly what I mean, is this photoshop or survival game? correct me if I brought wrong product.

@NativelLet's not overreact. They still made a great product. I understand the devs have limited time. They did say they are open to review it, and they do check the forums.

I think the steam turbine needs to be used with the burner.

Here is the description of burner: Burners reach incredible temperatures and can quickly melt large areas.

And effect: Produces a searing Heat Jet using liquid Oil.

You can find these two sentences easily in game string by using some tool such as poedit or Inspy.

I guess devs just don't have enough time to complete the burner and they choose to introduce steam turbine to us first. Maybe they would like to give us a chance to show our amazing designs. But I'd prefer to wait until we have the official burner.

Just now, Nativel said:

turbonl64 before Christmas game updates was released every 4 weeks, I understand at Christmas they made 6 weeks, 2 weeks was weekend ok. But now they set up next update in 6 weeks again.

No it always was 6 weeks; the christmas update was exceptionally 4 weeks to get one last update through before the end of the year, and it did end up being smaller.

Just now, turbonl64 said:

No it always was 6 weeks;

pff

3 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

burner

What is this? Do you mean Liquid tepidizer? it's 175 overheat temp, and steam turbines need 251,9 - we lack of 77 degree. Or show me "burner" please.

@R9MX4 You can reduce the steam throughput rate to 2kg/s by blocking all but one of the floor tiles of the steam turbine. It will say input blocked but will still work.

I have previously made a list on what needs to change to make the steam turbine work in it's current form.

1) temperature sensor range needs to increase to 2000C. How can we stabilize temperatures at 252C with temperature sensors only going to 200C.

2) power output needs to be reverted to the original 8KW

3) it would be very nice if the steam output isn't just blown though the machine but is vented through gas pipe outputs. 

33 minutes ago, Nativel said:

What is this? Do you mean Liquid tepidizer? it's 175 overheat temp, and steam turbines need 251,9 - we lack of 77 degree. Or show me "burner" please.

No. It is a different machine that we might have in the future. I found these two sentences were added to the game code in OC preview. But except these two sentences I know nothing about it.

That's all I can show you.

public class BURNER
			{
				// Token: 0x0400010B RID: 267
				public static LocString NAME = "Burner";

// Token: 0x0400010C RID: 268
				public static LocString DESC = "Burners reach incredible temperatures and can quickly melt large areas.";

// Token: 0x0400010D RID: 269
				public static LocString EFFECT = "Produces a searing <style=\"heat\">Heat Jet</style> using liquid <style=\"liquid\">Oil</style>.";
			}
16 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

is vented through gas pipe outputs. 

Maybe 10 gas output pipes:?

23 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

it always was 6 weeks

To be accurate

Thermal Upgrade  March 30, 2017

Agricultural Upgrade May 19, 2017   7weeks

Outbreak Upgrade August 25, 2017

Oil Upgrade October 6, 2017  6weeks

Automation Upgrade November 17, 2017  6weeks

Tubular Upgrade December 15, 2017  4weeks

Occupational Upgrade February 8, 2017  8weeks

Did a little more tinkering and threw a quick vid together explaining the build. This is aimed at a broad audience (even if it might not attract one!), so please don't be offended at me explaining a lot of things that you pro's will already know :p 

Mwah.x

14 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I am really tired of theoretical debug builds. Make one without debug and keep it running. I would like to see that, in the "now" state of SE..

Nobody is asking you to look at it :)

I will just say that It stops being "theoretical" as soon as you can physically build it and see it running - it's proof of concept, and it is build-able without debug - I just simply don't have the time considering this was only released yesterday.... 

I have however done live streams where I've handled magma, and moved it from point A > B for the purposes of fueling a crude oil boiler. Without debug - which is essentially the hardest part of this build, the rest is just laying tiles and forward planning, as is most of ONI...

Truth be told, i'm really tired of people feeling like they have to have an input where none was needed - and again - to echo above, this is a thread solely about the steam turbine. Considering people had been struggling with it, I decided to try and make a working build, and then decided to share it with the community; however it's comments like yours that make me wonder why I bother.

-Life.

34 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I am really tired of theoretical debug builds. Make one without debug and keep it running. I would like to see that, in the "now" state of SE..

Why? It makes sense to use the tools for this rather than wasting silly amounts of time with trial and error, and even more time setting up a self sustaining base so your dupes don't die while you're running the simulation to test it.

Archived