Occupational Upgrade (Agricultural Question)

16 minutes ago, TheOlz said:

tbh, I'm a little bummed out by this, I feel like we'd only just scratched the surface of what could be done with super high temps, and magma is going to be awkward.  Workable, sure, just awkward.  I was having a lot of fun making free tungsten and gold :D lol

I'm just annoyed they didn't mention it anywhere. A simple list of reported issues that has been fixed would be nice instead of having to discover it the hard way by your base falling apart because one system has stopped working.

11 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I'm just annoyed they didn't mention it anywhere. A simple list of reported issues that has been fixed would be nice instead of having to discover it the hard way by your base falling apart because one system has stopped working.

This was very common during Don't Starve updates also - glitchy/exploity things that were well known for a really long time just suddenly change with no warning (backpack stacking, I'm looking at you) A decent bug fix list would be nice.

11 minutes ago, osefcomplet said:

Don't be there is always another exploit to be found ^^. And i'm sure soon enough we'll have an hydrogen burner implemented in the game :)

Absolutely right, there will be other ways to do new things. And I know we were 'bending' the rules of what we were supposed to do, but surely early release is the time to do that!! :)

3 minutes ago, TheOlz said:

This was very common during Don't Starve updates also - glitchy/exploity things that were well known for a really long time just suddenly change with no warning (backpack stacking, I'm looking at you) A decent bug fix list would be nice.

Exactly. I would definitely have waited till I had fixed the issue before upgrading and start up the base again. But it's not really relevant as you basically have to start over anyway. Jobs are incompatible with old saves!

I backed up all my tubular saves just in case, so I can remove the beta, restore them and run them again, there's very little point running any of them with the update on.  But I was 40+ hrs into my last run and wasn't sure I was ready to just give it away yet.

31 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Exactly. I would definitely have waited till I had fixed the issue before upgrading and start up the base again. But it's not really relevant as you basically have to start over anyway. Jobs are incompatible with old saves!

I disagree. Yes, you will have a hard time functioning the first 10 cycles or so, but your dupes will eventually catch up again. I too suddenly faced very annoying issues like not being able to dig very hard materials, but currently that has been solved by getting my dupes mastering their jobs.

What about planters vs irrigation tiles?  They made irrigation tiles transfer heat which was really biggest issue and makes it later game only...but planters did not transfer heat which you could irrigate hot water without penalty other than dup labor.  Do planters still have this benefit?

(I wonder what their intended food path is.  Lice very short term but how they expect a quick transition to berries or wheat when that hot geyser water makes that very difficult to do quickly.  Is it lice, then mushroom but both being deadends?

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

My comment is that since all foods higher than standard require pincha pepper nuts all bases are doomed to unsustainability in the long run. The fertilizer for pincha peppers remains non-renewable so eventually your highly skilled dupes will have to settle for eating poor or standard quality food.

Berry sludge?

Additionally, it seems like the new/changed kindness attribute description provides an insight to perhaps a missing piece of the chain, and the possible next update. Animal husbandry.

1 hour ago, chemie said:

(I wonder what their intended food path is.  Lice very short term but how they expect a quick transition to berries or wheat when that hot geyser water makes that very difficult to do quickly.  Is it lice, then mushroom but both being deadends?

There's more dirt than you think, though it's still exhaustible, it's not as bad as you might imagine: the average tile of dirt drops ~750kg, or enough to keep one mealwood plant going for 70 cycles ~ aproximately 20,000 kcals for one tile of dirt;  unless you're making mushbars and then turning them into mush fry, which is then about half that at 10,500 kcals. so there's a significant advantage to using the dirt on the mealwood rather than the mushbars unless you've really got a food problem - try to get that sorted.

I found that muckroot bridged the gap long enough for me to establish the mealwood and skip eating the mushbars while still making around 16,000 kcals of mush fry while the meal lice built up long enough for me to turn them off as a food source in favor of liceloaf -  I planted several bristle blossoms at the printing pod, which adds enough in the meantime that i've not had to make mush fry anymore.

Though i expect other people will be having larger problems, the mealwood still scales out quite nicely, ... 

7 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

@The Plum Gate Remember that planter boxes and farm tiles requires dirt to even build them as well. Unless you can get clay from deodorizers in large enough quatities

Yes that's true. Dare I say they can be deconstructed for their resources though - will be a bit of a slippery slope running out of dirt, but it's just another thing that needs to be managed.

7 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

the average tile of dirt drops ~750kg, or enough to keep one mealwood plant going for 70 cycles ~ aproximately 20,000 kcals for one tile of dirt

Bear in mind that half a tile's mass is destroyed when it's dug up.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet: the max temperature for Bristle Berries has gone up from 23 to 30 degrees celcius.

This makes them far easier to grow in the early game (previously, they would become ungrowable around cycle 20 as your base began to heat up)

3 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet: the max temperature for Bristle Berries has gone up from 23 to 30 degrees celcius.

Bristle berrys are the new maelwood, but water is the limitation, how many dupes you could add to run the base..

1 hour ago, goboking said:

At least the water consumption has been reduced (from 80kg/c to 20).

And cooking now add kcals as it should. 25% to be exact so without farming bonus (farm station and growth room bonus at the moment is bugged and gives no benefit to any plants) you need just 3 Bristle Blossoms per dupe. With the increased temperature range that is definitely the new food meta both long and short term but if you want a large numbers of dupes supplementing with mushrooms might be necessary.

The establishment factor is then the number of them that initially spawn, plus whatever seeds might be found in the cracked tiles. I've not had the best luck with open spaces, though on my next play through I'll probably shop around for a good seed in debug before starting as the testing branch is inevitably going to change something, ..eventually.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:36 AM, Technoincubus said:

So most games will be rush for geysers. No geyser=restart. Plus, cooling your base will be one of the highest priorities because berries will be a must

Actually, Berries have the same upper temp limit as lice meal now. They no longer require you to rush for heating and/or plant them faar away from anything that generates heat anymore.

Archived