Occupational Upgrade (Agricultural Question)

48 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

The establishment factor is then the number of them that initially spawn, plus whatever seeds might be found in the cracked tiles. I've not had the best luck with open spaces, though on my next play through I'll probably shop around for a good seed in debug before starting as the testing branch is inevitably going to change something, ..eventually.

So only reason to ever go mealwood now is if you simply lack the berry seeds?  I guess it was berries turn.  From wheat only to lice only to berries (although maybe not only berries given the food expectations although I wonder if it might just be spam message tables instead)

2 minutes ago, chemie said:

So only reason to ever go mealwood now is if you simply lack the berry seeds?  I guess it was berries turn.  From wheat only to lice only to berries (although maybe not only berries given the food expectations although I wonder if it might just be spam message tables instead)

Only have 7 dupes and just making it comfortably with around 10 to 14 mealwood, 5 blossoms and 7 mushrooms... And that's after cooking everything. I seem to maintain around 30K kcal by foisting 40K kcal worth of deep fried mush on them between cycles 4 and 11 while the mealwood farm came to fruition.

I'd plant more blossoms but I had a water problem and no geyser in sight.

2 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

Only have 7 dupes and just making it comfortably with around 10 to 14 mealwood, 5 blossoms and 7 mushrooms... And that's after cooking everything. I seem to maintain around 30K kcal by foisting 40K kcal worth of deep fried mush on them between cycles 4 and 11 while the mealwood farm came to fruition.

I'd plant more blossoms but I had a water problem and no geyser in sight.

I never get a geyser before 50-100 cycles.  Between getting base stable, digging a path out, and then finding the darn thing, I am worried most people will die due to lack of water (and/or dirt) causing starvation.

2 hours ago, chemie said:

Mealwood also requires less setup, so it's good for that time before you manage to set up berries. And if you don't find a steam geyser near your starting location, berries will eat your water quickly. Since dupes move (and dig) like slugs nowadays, capping a geyser and then cooling the water down enough for berries will take a while. The berries will still overheat quickly if you use sieved water with no cooling.

It's nowhere near the monoculture that was wheat and lice farming. Unlike wheat and lice farming, you can't just leave farms all over the world and then collect infinite calories forever, with no real input. Berries are the best, but not by such a huge margin.

2 hours ago, chemie said:

I never get a geyser before 50-100 cycles.  Between getting base stable, digging a path out, and then finding the darn thing, I am worried most people will die due to lack of water (and/or dirt) causing starvation.

Now consider that you're a veteran player who knows that water is a precious commodity and that steam geysers exist.  New players may not be armed with this information, so this might be a bit rough on them.

1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:

Mealwood also requires less setup, so it's good for that time before you manage to set up berries. And if you don't find a steam geyser near your starting location, berries will eat your water quickly. Since dupes move (and dig) like slugs nowadays, capping a geyser and then cooling the water down enough for berries will take a while. The berries will still overheat quickly if you use sieved water with no cooling.

It's nowhere near the monoculture that was wheat and lice farming. Unlike wheat and lice farming, you can't just leave farms all over the world and then collect infinite calories forever, with no real input. Berries are the best, but not by such a huge margin.

Just use planters and manually do it with 85C no issues.

13 hours ago, chemie said:

To be fair, you're going to lack the berries for quite a while. Seeds from harvesting are a lot less common than before.

Archived