Tubular Upgrade Preview (And Holiday Break!)

• Developer

Hey gang!

We're happy to announce the launch of our latest content preview, The Tubular Upgrade! Now, using their discovery of plastic refinement, Duplicants can zoom quickly and safely around your base with brand new Transit Tubes! Just set up some tubes, connect an access point, and WHOOSH! You're ready to propel your Dupes at lightning fast speeds.

If you'd like to help test us test this new Tubular content, the upgrade will be available for open testing one week before it goes live. We always appreciate your feedback!

Team Holiday Schedule

And while we've got you, we'd also like to let you know that over the holidays, the team will be taking a two week break, then resuming our 6 week update schedule starting in the New Year. Our next update after the Tubular Upgrade will land on February 8th. 

Thanks for supporting our game, and happy holidays from everyone at Klei!

About Tubular Upgrade Open Testing

The following content is available in the Tubular Upgrade preview:

Spoiler
  • Transit Tubes, Accesses, and Tube Crossings
  • Ice Sculptures
  • Berry Sludge recipe
  • QOL and performance enhancements
    • Please be aware that game performance in testing may be reduced as we prepare to make major improvements for release. While your game may run worse during the Open Testing period, this is because we are gathering the information we need to make it better, and are happy to take any bug reports or feedback on performance issues you may have during this time. Thanks!

Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is a preview of the upgrade being released on December 14th, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs or crashes while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing the preview.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Tubular Upgrade preview, it cannot be reopened again in the Automation Upgrade or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Early Access branch until the Tubular Upgrade releases in full on December 14th. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to test the Tubular Upgrade preview, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

Just switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "tubular_upgrade_preview"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

Also, for Linux users, don't forget to check out the Oxygen Not Included Early Access, now available on Linux!

Happy holidays!

View full update

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Haha those tubes look hilariously awesome!  Is the art final or will it be updated to look more 3-dimensional (currently it looks a little flat)

So excited to try this out, it looks amazing. Imagine how fast you can strip-mine now -- tubes can bring materials back to base super fast.

I wonder if it's possible to transport materials through these tubes without a dupe holding them. i.e. dupe drops some material on an automation button, material gets sucked through the tubes to a storage room in your base.

Edited by midjones

15 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

I've been trying to set up a tube with a tube access for about ten minutes now and I just can't get it to work, no matter what I try.

Connect like this:

82IjjFQ.png

But they use a lot energy... also when not used.

6 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

"Access points are required for duplicants to enter tubes, but are not required to exit them."

I know. I posted it at same time as your post so didn't see your image... don't know why your rightmost access was not working.

1 minute ago, midjones said:

Is that a bug? I wouldn't expect the tubes to use a lot of energy when not in use

Judging by how they look, I would assume that the only consume power until they're charged for three usages (which they don't, as pointed out).