Tubular Upgrade Preview (And Holiday Break!)

47 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Fun to see, yes, but that's all. For the firepole you have to create an entrance area, where you split traffic up/down /permissions/doors, or are dupes no longer climbing up the poles?

No longer climbing up poles as long as there's a ladder available. Super easy to just build ladders and poles next to each other, and they will use the pole down and the ladder up.

• Like 1

Ok when while we are being negative I also have some things to add that I don't like about the feature balance.

You already mentioned decor/stress. I made a thread about this a 2ish weeks ago. I fully agree that decor is problematic purely gameplay wise. It just lets me stack pictures on walls which looks weird/ugly. Light uses power and generates heat so it should in theory be more beneficial but it's not. I still use it but only because I feel it's nice. This is easy to fix: Don't let art stack and rebalance the values, so nicely spread out combination of art and light is more beneficial. Also there is a lot more that can be done with stress and leisure ofc.

Another thing that I don't like is the balance of slime/algae based oxygen production. Right now algae distillers are just there to get rid of slime. But I'd never even consider running a slime=> algae based oxygen production (except when I have surplus power and nothing else to do) because the power used converts into very little oxygen and water. Even with just using algae terraria you would need about 1 distiller running constantly per dupe. if the algae distiller was closer to the power conversion of electrolyzers then it would be a feasable alternative. On top of that pufts are hard to come by, cannot be generated like morbs. And the PO2 => slime => algae => O2 conversion is only *slightly* better than just filtering/liquifying PO2.

Dupe leveling is another thing that I don't like. I feel like they level up too easily and especially the athletics trait. It would be more fun if we had to do something or multiple things to level them up. For example food/stress/happiness could be a bigger factor on leveling dupes.

I also agree on the techtree. It would be much nicer if we had to do stuff more actively to tech up. For example there could be geographical thigns that we need to find (ruins) that give the dupes some kind of blueprints or something which then unlock certain things. Teching up itself could demand more sophisticated material conversion. Dirt and water is easy and bland.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

hqdefault.jpg.f17951934c3f96409f72ec92732ca10b.jpg

Holy pessimism, Batman! O-:

These are real people spending a lot of time putting the game together, which I remind you is a work-in-progress. Saying "it isn't what I wanted so it sucks" is frankly inappropriate. At least try to be constructive: they're relying on us to offer feedback and suggestions for improvement.

53 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

When you build a base and reach cycle 1000/2000, without touching devmode, dupes have so high agility, that nothing of that is needed, when base is well planned.

Like this, this is the juicy stuff!

Even with my minimalist approach to the game, it's generally around cycle 100 or more before I get some plastic production going. I'm at 75 right now on my latest game, and the Dupilcant with Anemic is still running (no pun intended) at +9 Athletics. That will only improve as time goes on, and by the time I have enough Plastic handy to build Transit Tubes at 100 friggin' kilograms per tile, they won't really need them.

I think one of the most elegant solutions to this problem is to put a hard cap on Athletics. If I were to train every day to be a fantastic runner, there still would be a maximum speed I could achieve--getting really good at running won't ever replace the need for a car. However fast Duplicants can ultimately get should be meaningfully less than the speed they could travel via Transit Tube.

10 minutes ago, clickrush said:

@GuyPerfect I think you mistake criticism with malicious negativity. People who don't like ONI or don't care about it are not posting here.

I agree.  I think a lot of people are concerned about why something would be implemented that does not appear to benefit any game play mechanic.  It is almost like this conversation has been happening the last few weeks

"We need to put something in...Oh, this would be cool"

"But how does it add to game play mechanics, fun, or our product development roadmap?"

"It doesn't but it looks cool so why not"

55 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

I think you somehow misquoted it, I didn't wrote that.

Posted on mobile, no idea how that happened. Yeah, it's quote from Saturnus.

Just wanted to be sure seeing as some people take his and Risu's word as gospel around here.

20 minutes ago, clickrush said:

@GuyPerfect I think you mistake criticism with malicious negativity. People who don't like ONI or don't care about it are not posting here.

indeed. in case it wasn't obvious, I took the time to post my disappointment because I LOVE this game.  I don't post on any other game forums at all.  Probably not for the last decade.

image.png.09994ab026ebf4cf0aeca0b8bc309c5a.png

I don't think the transit tubes suck, I just think they spent time on something that was of less value than the ideas I offered.

• Thanks 1

I am a little bit disappointed, because the performance of the game is now horrible! Before the TU Patch, i had had 22-25FPS and now with the same save game i get 5-7 FPS ?  :shock: Maybe i am wrong, but didn't u wrote that the TU Update is a performance Patch ? It seems, it is a LAG Patch.

The new content is a nice thing, but not a thing, that i personally waited for. The content is a bit disappointing. The new recipe i never found at the cooking station. Maybe i am blind... Who knows. I skip the update and wait for the next one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

The new content is a nice thing, but not a thing, that i personally waited for. The content is a bit disappointing. The new recipe i never found at the cooking station. Maybe i am blind... Who knows. I skip the update and wait for the next one.

It's in the micromusher. But like you, I've reverted to vanilla already. Too many bugs and weird behaviour in the current state. No worthwhile added content. And much more laggy than before.

Edited by Saturnus

5 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

I am a little bit disappointed, because the performance of the game is now horrible!

To be fair, they did go out of their way to mention that they added performance-monitoring code to the current build to help them troubleshoot where the problem spots were, and that it could cause poorer performance in some cases. Unless I misheard, they did say that by the time Tubular Upgrade becomes the active branch, the monitoring code will be gone and the performance improvements will get their day in the sun.

If you're experiencing performance troubles, make sure that Send Metrics Data option is enabled!

Metrics.png.164686b7cc1a7469b11a04b14d09dd63.png

1 minute ago, Oozinator said:

May you run out of toiletpaper, when you need it most!

Nice try, but I keep a box of moist butt wipes handy for just such an occasion!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Posted on mobile, no idea how that happened. Yeah, it's quote from Saturnus.

Just wanted to be sure seeing as some people take his and Risu's word as gospel around here.

It did when I tested it. I have reverted to vanilla and have no desire to reinstall this trainwreck beta in the current state to check again.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GuyPerfect said:

To be fair, they did go out of their way to mention that they added performance-monitoring code to the current build to help them troubleshoot where the problem spots were, and that it could cause poorer performance in some cases. Unless I misheard, they did say that by the time Tubular Upgrade becomes the active branch, the monitoring code will be gone and the performance improvements will get their day in the sun.

U are right. Okay. But play this game with 5-7 FPS on normal speed isn't a deal for me. For a couple of minutes okay, but not more.

• Like 1

I like the idea a lot but find it useless for now. But maybe we'll have a hard mode were speed boost is max at 10 or some area would be really dangerous for some dupes ?

That may be the same with automaton btw : with limited resource and precise monitoring required, automaton would not be an option.

Also it's hilarious to have your dupes moving around the base this way.

16 hours ago, donutman07 said:

There are some more sensors that would be nice for automation too, battery level, liquid pipe flow detector, gas type detector, etc.

You may find these in the forum and yes it's a mess to find then back, so not links (sorry) but some explanation

Spoiler

First imply a battery between two  transformer : it will be empty before next battery will and there will be no power

second a split to test liquid pressure in a tank (the smaller the best)., you have to pump back the liquid.

third a filter to test gas pressure in a room (the smaller the best) were a pump is always working.

l

9 minutes ago, Kiako said:

You may find these in the forum and yes it's a mess to find then back, so not links (sorry) but some explanation

Hide contents

First imply a battery between two  transformer : it will be empty before next battery will and there will be no power

second a split to test liquid pressure in a tank (the smaller the best)., you have to pump back the liquid.

third a filter to test gas pressure in a room (the smaller the best) were a pump is always working.

l

Add, inferred by temperature sensor.

Trying out the tubes now.  It would be nice if the transit tube access buildings had permissions like doors.  Also if they didn't waste power as others mentioned.  Given that they do waste power, I setup an automation system with a weight plate and buffers so that they will be powered once somebody walks up to the tube access point.  It seems odd that the tube access points lose charge even if nobody is using them.  As it stands, constant 480w x2 (if you want to be able to return) is a pretty steep price.  I was also disappointed you cannot build the tubes behind buildings, ladders, or fire poles.  I don't mind not being able to build through tiles, the tile connector tube building is fine, but, there's no similar solution for other buildings, ladders, or fire poles.  You just have to build around them.  

In its current version, I'm not sure I can find a good use case for the tubes.  That said, when fire poles first came out, I had the same reservations, but I use them now that they have been fixed.

edit: also it seems the move to command might not work through tubes, but maybe I have my tubes messed up

Edited by donutman07
move to command
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GuyPerfect said:

Even with my minimalist approach to the game, it's generally around cycle 100 or more before I get some plastic production going. I'm at 75 right now on my latest game, and the Dupilcant with Anemic is still running (no pun intended) at +9 Athletics. That will only improve as time goes on, and by the time I have enough Plastic handy to build Transit Tubes at 100 friggin' kilograms per tile, they won't really need them.

Yes, either make Athletics harder to gain or increase the speed of the tubes. I want SPEED. :lol: This is the fast life~~~

Or I guess, to please everyone, you can have an option in the colony creation screen for both options.

Hey yall!  Just wanted to drop in my 2 cents as well.  I know they said on the livestream last night that performance may be worse with the beta, and for me it definitely is.  My 600 cycle base with 23 dupes is almost unplayable.  System is an MSI laptop with i7-7700, 16GB RAM, 1050TI graphics.

• Like 2