Post-Forge UI is horrible

Hello, long time guys, I'm most of lurk rather than be an active user, but what happened on the menu it's kinda, important to me, it's something relevant what I want to talk and know your opinions, but. I'll be sincere, I want the menu reverted because it looks aesthetically bad.

Let's start.

Oh, also, keep in mind, this is my personal opinion, everything is subjetive and you could have a different vision.

1) No portal is showed up when you start the game, you know, with that "Play!" button, the spiral it's just boring and looks less interesting than the portal, and it's not even moving like the old character selection screen, just bring the portal back.

2) The menu is one of the worst parts of the post-forge errors, followed by the character selection screen.
I love the animated menu, don't get me wrong, sadly, the colours doesn't fits too well, take a look of the one of the old menus, the game menu colours were gray, which goes well with the animated menu, but the buttons and font colour doesn't make it look good, ALSO FORGE FONT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD IF IT'S NOT THE FORGE ANYMORE, if something needs a change I would consider those.

• Revert the UI font, forge font should be used only on forge event.
  • Change the animated menu palette to make it look like this.Dont-Starve-Together-Free-Download.jpg.136176f1350e5d37507f30fe8ca30cce.jpg

3) Selection screen is a direct downgrade of the previous one.
Seriously, it's bad, no animated spiral, it looks very compact and tiny, It could be handled way better by giving it a "rapid selection", because it's true, you take like some years to find your character if you're playing with mods (I experiencied this by playing the pets mod), my idea is just.

• Revert it to the previous selection.
  • Add a new option to compact it, so, it can be picked way faster.

4) Inconsistency, between this and this.

e6508f836ff8a10dde3cfe3774768a34.png.6260ba62f48ecca9c424fbee34eec849.png7dc9df1476e3b7935ad93dfcb5321b4c.thumb.png.f05be4ba5f1c5ce03abbf39b63b3d7e8.png

Having the same overall impression regarding the new UI. It feels very out of place now that The Forge event has ended. You made a very nice summary of the concerns in your post.

Most probably, and hopefully, the UI will be addressed with more improvements, given how Klei stated that they are working on an interface to accomodate multiple events their items and things. It has only been one day since The Forge event ended, so it is fairly understandable that the developers are busy preparing other exciting things* and haven't had the time to improve the interface further.

I think it is safe to say that we can expect changes to be made to the interface, hence it is very good that these issues are being brought up now.

That being said, I will chime in by saying that the main menu background, old color theme (paperlike with black borders) and character selection screen (the slider/reel) are dearly missed.

*)

YULETIDE & SNOW

3 hours ago, Riotraze said:

I really can't stand the new animated menu screen. The Forge one was gorgeous and I loved looking at it, but this new one I had to mod out because all of the movement was hurting my eyes.

Only 60 fps allowed for your eyes? not being rude, but i have a friend that says the same.

1 hour ago, ZolaRay said:

Only 60 fps allowed for your eyes? not being rude, but i have a friend that says the same.

According to Carl, the main menu animation is literally ~8.72 frames per second. The Forge's mainscreen animation can go 60 fps and above because it's animated in a different way.

I like the animated screen with Wilson and Willow.

I also feel the new character selection is miles better than the old. It's easier to use and allows you to look at everyone at once. Maybe it could be "prettied up" but it functions better.

i wish it would at least show different characters.  You know how the older one used to show actual other players you knew (including yourself sometimes) at random, wearing and holding whatever they might've been using last?  That was cool!  It was personalized and random!  Bring THAT back!

And, the characters-selection screen functioned the same way it does in original Don't Starve, with the main difference being you can choose between all of them off the bat and not unlock them over time.  (Although, they're still SHOWN in the original order they unlock...)  This ties DST more to its roots and makes it feel still like it's properly part of the same franchise.  The new one looks like I'm about to enter a tournament.  Which is no longer true.

In short:  The Forge was an interesting place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there--and as a special-event thing, it should be actually gone when it's gone.

Also, WHAT the HELL has been done to the code that made _so many mods break_, to the point where, even with the Forge over, I STILL can't access my old worlds?!  ANY OF THEM!  I had trouble even starting a NEW world last night--and even when I finally did, it was at SUCH a cost that I barely even wanted it anymore*.  But that's a rant for a whole other seperate thread, possibly a seperate subforum...

...Notorious

*A lot of my favourite mods change things/are required to be running at worldgen, which means that even if they get "fixed" to work with the new coding, I can NEVER have those items, play as those characters, or see the cool setpieces.  So, now I have a world that will work, but is permanently missing stuff I really like--hence the "not even sure if I want it anymore".

I share your opinion and totally agree.
I haven't noticed the inconsistency you pointed out, it seems so clear to see and unpleasant right now!
About main menu background animation. Well, it's just some old art (just like vignettes/loading screens, that's sad) modified and animated. It doesn't have much frames which makes it not so visually appealing. The good thing is that you can easily modify it by removing some of the layers so you can have just Willow and crows, for example. Or make your own textures and go nuts. But yeah, it's not a real upside.

On the subject of the main menu background, I think that the sketchy animation, while very much of minimal effort, captures a bit more of what DST could have been. I really wish this was a clue as to what the next event might be, but chances are, it's a red herring.

I would suggest having single player DS music while looking at the new main menu, it's way more fitting.

15 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

On the subject of the main menu background, I think that the sketchy animation, while very much of minimal effort, captures a bit more of what DST could have been. I really wish this was a clue as to what the next event might be, but chances are, it's a red herring.

I would suggesting having single player DS music while looking at the new main menu, it's way more fitting.

unless the bird colors are all connected to dimension types crows are shadow creatures BLUE GEM SNOW DIMENSION NEXT FOR CHRISTMAS I NEED A CONSPIRACY TO LATCH ONTO FEED ME KLEI

ahem

I'm actually a fan of the main menu background animations. They could be improved or diversified, but still.
I feel like out-of-world UIs would benefit a lot from trying to line up with that same style.

The one UI change that I find completely obnoxious is the item collection. The normal screen for looking through all of your items at once was removed, so you have to go to a different screen for item skins, emotes, actual character skins, each character's personal skins, ect in order to see the complete info for your items.
You can go to the skin trader for a full list, but not the info display.
Particularly obnoxious when you suddenly have a lot more items due to supporting a certain event, because that certain event was amazing.
guess who has a lot more items

Archived