I Think New Characters Would Help DST

3 minutes ago, Toros said:

We can agree that extra equip slots is ********, but what mods would you use?

I mean I mostly want to use domestication mods, my own to be specific(am really not fond of how fond of beefalos the other mods are).

Aside from that I actually would want to see what other people would want, but I'd like want a variant of rezecib's rebalance and the lazy furnace, probably some purely cosmetic mods and some minor mods I don't remember at the moment.

maybe some character mods which aren't too weeb/furry/broken.

Rebalancing already under-performing characters would be nice, yes, but the creation of more characters could potentially open up different play styles than the ones already created and sort of set in stone lore wise.

For instance, changing Woodie's beaver form to be more 'fun' is just editing his play style mildly- he is still the wood master.

Whereas with a new character entirely would be able to do other things in the world.

6 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

For instance, changing Woodie's beaver form to be more 'fun' is just editing his play style mildly- he is still the wood master.

Not exactly true.

For example I find wearbeaver annoying, and his identity as a "wood master" to not be very prominent, so I don't really play him, and I'm taking a guess that this applies to many people.

Buff him so his identity is felt more, and that he doesn't feel like a nuisance to play, and he will basically be a brand new character.(as people will actually play him)

4 minutes ago, landromat said:

Woodie is balanced. Fight me

wilson is OP and has literally 0 counterplay.

13 minutes ago, landromat said:

Woodie is balanced. Fight me

8 minutes ago, landromat said:

Let's play the game: tell me one thing you would change in Woodie that will not make him broken

Holy **** you're serious.  Woodie in human form is kind of the same as Willow.  No one ever goes "oh no, chopping all these trees is using all my flint, if only I had an axe that didn't break."  He also has trivial flavor perks and can easily restore sanity (which is already easy to manage for everyone and not really even necessary.

That's of course, assuming you generally avoid his werebeaver form which sucks for combat, sucks for gathering anything but wood, is super annoying during full moons and just generally more of a downside than anything.

You could easily remove the sanity drain, give him log armor absorption, and raise his gnaw damage to somewhere between 34 and 51 with absolutely being nowhere close to "broken".

5 minutes ago, landromat said:

so you don't need spears anymore. You can just gnaw everything for free. Broken. Next

1 minute ago, landromat said:

Wilson is god tier With wolfgnang and Wicker for noobs who don't know how to play

I really hope you're just trolling, because otherwise you should go outside and apologize to trees for being a waste of the oxygen they accidentally produce just by being alive.

Just now, landromat said:

Wilson is god tier With wolfgnang and Wicker for noobs who don't know how to play

No wicker is trash, nobody read books anymore, television killed them, also wolfgang is worst character in the game, a character with increased hunger loss in a game called "Don't starve"? No thanks.

Only wilson is god tier, this will only make woodie a bit closer to him.

11 minutes ago, Toros said:

give him log armor absorption, and raise his gnaw damage to somewhere between 34 and 51 with absolutely being nowhere close to "broken".

Infinite log suit, Infinite Spear/Spike and no drawbacks. Absolutely not broken. Sure

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

No need to craft a thermal measurer. No need to craft a moondial.

I would never make a thermal measurer with or without always on status since it's not very clear.

I love how the moon dial as decor looks so even without or with always on status I would at least make one.

Edit: I only just now read how toxic this page has gotten. 

1 hour ago, landromat said:

Infinite log suit, Infinite Spear/Spike and no drawbacks. Absolutely not broken. Sure

If you think that infinite spear and a logsuit without the ability to heal is broken, then I’d need to teach you some basics about the game before we can have a meaningful discussion.

For one, no one uses or would use a spear to fight anything of significance when hambats are cheap and nearly twice as powerful.

Secondly, Woodie’s log suits even in human form are functionally unlimited and I much rather be Woodie with a hambat/dark sword over a werebeaver.  

Thirdly, I really hope you take the time to understand the game better so if we have another discussion you have a more accurate and pertinent contribution.

16 minutes ago, Toros said:

Thirdly, I really hope you take the time to understand the game better so if we have another discussion you have a more accurate and pertinent contribution.

Please, can you make same screenshot, so we can keep talking about time and game mechanics understanding? I don't like when noobs tell me to git gud. Just want to be sure.

image.png.c3ab308753e1010e1fd480f1ded4a39a.png

7 minutes ago, landromat said:

Please, can you make same screenshot, so we can keep talking about time and game mechanics understanding? I don't like when noobs tell me to git gud. Just want to be sure.

image.png.c3ab308753e1010e1fd480f1ded4a39a.png

Oh please, that's clearly photoshopped.

Only a complete noob would call wolfgang, a character with increased hunger loss in a game named "Don't starve" god tier.

2 minutes ago, spideswine said:

Only a complete noob would call wolfgang, a character with increased hunger loss in a game named "Don't starve" god tier.

How is that clearly photoshopped? Must be god tier photoshop if it is...

I visited his steam page, you can check for yourself, it is real.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zerlingrush

3 hours ago, Toros said:

A lot of the experienced community is very purist, and it makes sense that people who like things staying the same forever are the most active and have the most playtime.  But in my case I play probably twice a week for months, and then don't play for months, and then an update hits and I play twice a week+ for months, and then don't again.  I also spend probably 50% of the time I spend playing modding.

What the community could really use is a big collaboration mod called "vanilla+" that focuses on rebalancing features (particularly buffing weak options) and providing more information so new players don't have to learn through trial and error.

For example, a good mod I don't often use is the "epic healthbars" mod which shows boss hp totals with the art matching seemlessly.  There's a reason that most games provide a boss health bar, because without it you might not know that firefly is much, much harder than Goose/Goose without trying and dying and going to the wiki.  There's a reason that "Always on Status" is so popular, and that's because while denying the player basic information is a valid stylistic choice, I don't agree with it.  Knowing that winter is X days away without having to do some math and remember that spring and fall are 20 days and summer and winter are 15 days does reward experience and does make the game harder, but none of that is enjoyable.  Neither is doing math to figure out moon phases, or to not know what your personal temperature is (ambient temp is mostly worthless, which is what the in-game option gives).  It's cheap difficulty, probably turns people away from the game, and you can piece together probably half a dozen mods to get most of what I'm talking about.  ("Bee Nice" is another rebalance mod that makes the beekeeper hat worth making for convenience).

I'm slowly working on getting more character rebalance mods finished where they're balanced more around the Wigfrid/Wendy/Webber level.  Current project is Willow but her lighter works like lucy (respawns in her hand, only she can use it, has the same relationship to torches that lucy does to axes) and I'm not quite ready to publish it.  If we buffed Wilson, Willow, Woodie, Winona and nerfed Wolfgang, Wx, Wickerbottom there'd be a much narrower spread of character power.  For example, my Wolfgang nerf lowers his max health to 200 even while mighty, lowers his max sanity to 150, removes the speed boost while mighty, but gives him synergy with piggyback, marble armor (mighty form negates movespeed penalty on both) and he can carry "heavy" items at 75% speed instead of 25% speed.

I think there's a portion of even experienced players that wouldn't be strongly opposed to those things, or nerfing some of the OP aspects (like bee box honey production, monster meat into eggs, etc.)

Just don’t forget about Wes make him completely team oriented I don’t care just give him something 

Just now, spideswine said:

Well, there are some things that make him very interesting to play. But really, who dies from starvation anymore?

Just now, spideswine said:

You're kidding right, it's like the easiest thing ever.

And that's probably just his friends account.

image.png

image.png

That's not the point, his username is Landromat on the forums and is landromat on steam, I clearly showed you a link, that, if you go to DST, you can clearly see his hour count. It is extremely unlikely that he had his name as his friend's on the forums for a long time just so they, in the case that someone wants to see his hour count, can show their friend's large hour count. 

It's clear, you lost, he has 11743 hours on DST and that's the end of that.

Just now, Tylordian said:

That's not the point, his username is Landromat on the forums and is landromat on steam, I clearly showed you a link, that, if you go to DST, you can clearly see his hour count. It is extremely unlikely that he had his name as his friend's on the forums for a long time just so they, in the case that someone wants to see his hour count, can show their friend's large hour count. 

It's clear, you lost, he has 11743 hours on DST and that's the end of that.

He clearly just asked a friend of his, who actually plays the game, and changed his username to troll us.

And you just fell right into it.

7 minutes ago, landromat said:

You thinking that hours spent in a game where idling for gift boxes is relevant to mechanical understanding is completely consistent with the arguments you've presented so far.

If a klei developer had less hours than you, do you think that would make them less knowledgeable?

Do you think that if you get more hours into the game than joeshmocoolstuff, you'll have beaten all his speedruns?  That's not how time invested works.

If we're going to be doing pointless **** measuring, I joined the forums on december 8, 2012.  I played DS since before sanity was a mechanic and when it still had research points and ran in your browser.

More relevantly, I have spent a lot of time looking at the code, modding, and discussing the game and testing mechanics all of which taught me a lot more than the hundreds of hours of regular playing.

Most relevantly, please learn to construct coherent arguments before you waste other people's time with your presence.

@Tylordian assuming that's his steam account, the most relevant data is that he has nearly 150 hours of playing time logged in the last 2 weeks.  99 hours of which were spent playing DST.

If GoT has taught me anything, Laundromat is immortal because you can't kill that which has no life.

Archived