Challenge Colonies (automation update)

Hello!  I am currently looking for interesting challenges for oxygen not included.  I haven't seen any such challenge thread, but if there is one, I would like a link.  I currently have a few that can make the game difficult and can be mixed.  You can also use hard mode on any of these.

1.  Accept everyone (all game challenge)
      Without waiting, you must accept a duplicant every time the machine is ready as quickly as possible.  The challenge ends when the first duplicant dies.  This can be made harder by always accepting the first duplicant from the list.

2.  Fancy electronics  (early game challenge)
      You are only allowed to make research equipment out of Wolframite and manual generators out of gold.amalgam.   (You can pick your own metals to make them out of, but I think these two are the hardest because of slimelung and going out far enough to get wolframite.

3.  Solar Flare challenge
      After a certain cycle (10 - 20), a solar flare hits and all electronics and automation are permanently disabled.  Build a permanently sustainable base.

4.  No tile challenge  (from a Brothgar video)
      You are not allowed to build tiles.

5.  No ladder challenge  (from another Brothgar video)
      No ladders or fire poles.

Civilization 7: Beyond Oxygen

Build 4 independent bases within one map, lock the door separating them. At every base there should be some demand that cannot be fed with own supply. At some point unlock the door and watch them steal their food, water and resources.

Just now, BlueLance said:

Would petroleum count? I am not sure if it is like Petrol and combusts or something else?

Even though no generators consume oxygen outright as combustion would actually dictate. Combustion is assumed to be every power generator except hamster wheels as stated in the rule.

1 minute ago, Oozinator said:

You can deconstruct ration box, for easy start!

Yes, but anything from metal would require you to first build something else in a tile where there is metal and deconstruct that to get the metal

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

..Yes, but anything from metal would require you to first build something else in a tile where there is metal and deconstruct that to get the metal

That would be called an exploit!
Cancel that part with ration box deconstruction "for easy start", you are to smart..
^^

My colonies for oil and automation have been Miserable + Fatalistic. I found challenge there especially early game. Massage tables and the pharmacy have returned to my bases. If you play smart with what you put your dupes through you can eventually find stability and the challenge fades.

I've been wondering who else is a sucker for punishment and plays on the hardest settings.

The challenge I'm currently working to solve:

Hedonist's Paradise - Build a permanently sustainable base which has all the modern comforts (toilets and showers, massage tables, comfy beds, and air conditioning in the domestic area) and where 100% of your dup's calorie intake comes from Stuffed Berry.

I've had the idea of Cold Biome Challenges for a while now.  The idea is you play normally and build a stabilized colony.  When everything is set up you carefully crack into a large cold biome, taking care to completely insulate the entrance into the biome so that minimal heat transfer occurs, and build three storage compactors.  You can fill these compactors with whatever you want.

You then send in three dupes fresh from the printing pod and lock the door.  These dupes are allowed to equip clothing, but not exo suits, before entering the cold biome.  You can send in more dupes straight from the printing pod if you desire.  The challenge is for these dupes to build a self-sustaining base without any help or further resources from the outside world.  After 20 cycles you can build abyssalite pipes and pipe in water from the outside world.  After 40 days you can do the same for natural gas.  Everything else has to come from the initial stash of materials or from materials you mine from within the cold biome.

This challenge can be repeated for the slime biome, purple biome, or even the oil biome if you're feeling particular sadistic.  Each biome would present its own challenges and offer different resources to exploit in your quest for survival.

@ICKA Sounds hard.  I would probably use a pump to get the water to the terrariums and use an oxygen room setup (pump out all the oxygen), as the oxygen .  Are they allowed to breathe polluted oxygen?  I would say they can until a certain point, as it is pretty much impossible to get thimblereed without exposing the dupes to polluted o2 in the beginning.  I think this challenge would be difficult, especially considering how much more water is spent per unit water.  I feel that there is a hard limit on the number of duplicants your base could support that is significantly lower.  This could easily be combined with "Must Accept All Duplicants" challenge.  I like it.

@goboking I take it the well established base is to allow the dupes to have all the tech in the beginning.  The main difficulty I see is early oxygen.  Melting ice is slow in my experience and there is no algae or slime or anything that can produce oxygen except ice and snow in an electrolyzer.  Are the dupes allowed to trim the edges of the abyssalite to greate a warm room?  As far as food is concerned, I think pretty much all the water you produce has to go to oxygen, so the only food you will have is frost buns.  If you have about 30 wild sleetwheats, you can support 3 dupes if none of them have the bottomless stomach trait.  I'm not sure, but I think you can still plant wild plants by dropping the seeds on a viable tile, so maybe you can make a farm.  You can't really use composting because you need lavatories to produce enough water for oxygen asap, so you can only really use wild sleetwheat.  Not sure it is possible.

@StroamCR Is there a time limit at which your dupes must be at the hedonistic state, or is it more of a "can you ever get to this point?"  How many duplicants must be supported?  My only issue with this is the fact that it is not sustainable.  At this point, pinchapepper plants requires phosphorite, which is non-renewable.  That means that such a colony is not permanently sustainable unless you had 44 wild pinchapepper plants per duplicant in your colony.  They seem rather numerous, so you might be able to support a small colony forever, but I wouldn't be sure.  Could be fun.

@Moggles I play all my challenges on fatalistic and miserable.  I dread the day I am forced to choose a dupe with a negative immune system regeneration.  No immune system regeneration is bad enough.  It's the best way to play.

@Saturnus With no combustion, I understand that you have to use hamster wheels to generate power.  However, am I allowed to use a natural gas generator for the polluted water and not use the power?  It could be interesting.  If I added that to my accept all dupes challenge, I could reasonably use exosuits to leave the base.  I mean, I would, but 40+ exosuit docks is sooooo expensive.

@Oozinator I am not sure your proposal is actually more conceptually difficult than the standard game considering what you said about deconstructing the ration box.  All you have to do is order them to build ladders where you want them to dig and then cancel them when the digging is done.  I suppose it is annoying to have to deliver goods to dig, but that's about it

@mickaux I am not sure this is as much a challenge as it is creating a little war, which could be funny, but is not really a challenge beyond creating 4 bases where each of them are missing a major resource.

@GuyPerfect You might want to make the time at which it is completed "as fast as possible" rather than a specific cycle.  Do these buildings need to all be functional and can you have more than one of some buildings?

@Seeker89 I'm not sure the evac suit thing is as much a challenge as it is a strategy.  Some people actually do that.  I am farily certain it may be impossible to accomplish by cycle 5 though.  The research to get the techs needed would take more time.  Remember, you would need advanced research, fine dining, the evac suit tech, the rock granulator tech, and ventilation.  I think actually making the suits would be the easy part.  You would only need one suit, then you could make more later.

Also, with my accept everyone challenge, I should add that you are not allowed to melt the printing pod...

I tried a bunch of food challenges. First, common rules:

• Dead dupe = challenge failed. This is to prevent staying alive by only feeding the freshest dupe.
  • Challenge is failed when a banned food item is eaten by a dupe. Producing it is fine, as long as no dupe takes even a single bite out of it.
  • Food produced from banned items is also banned.
  • Challenge ends at cycle 100.

Now, "difficulty levels":

• Shroom: No mealwood, no mush bars.
  • Berry: As above, but no shrooms. This is fun - doable, but not easy.
  • Wheat: As above, but no berries. I don't think this is doable anymore, now that ice biome can't be spawned close. Except on Helicona - "Helicona wheat" is closer to shroom difficulty.

Coolthulhu,  I assume the basic nutrient bars can be eaten, because not eating those would be instant death.  Can you eat muckroot while you are setting up?  Can you eat combination foods, like stuffed berries?  I think if you kept your pop small at the beginning, you could make it to the cold biome before you starved, but it would be hard.  Unlike the other foods, you would have to farm the sleetwheat in the cold biome at first until you could cool an area in your base sufficiently to support it, which could be a hassle.  Keep in mind that if you find about 30 wild sleetwheat plants, you can support a colony of 3 for free (except harvest time and space).  My only issue with farming anything but mealwood is that it isn't free and I would lose potential oxygen generated.  There is even an inverse rule that the more food you need to create, the less oxygen you can produce, but this doesn't matter if I am only keeping a certain number of duplicants.

On 11/21/2017 at 3:19 PM, goboking said:

I've had the idea of Cold Biome Challenges for a while now.  The idea is you play normally and build a stabilized colony.  When everything is set up you carefully crack into a large cold biome, taking care to completely insulate the entrance into the biome so that minimal heat transfer occurs, and build three storage compactors.  You can fill these compactors with whatever you want.

You then send in three dupes fresh from the printing pod and lock the door.  These dupes are allowed to equip clothing, but not exo suits, before entering the cold biome.  You can send in more dupes straight from the printing pod if you desire.  The challenge is for these dupes to build a self-sustaining base without any help or further resources from the outside world.  After 20 cycles you can build abyssalite pipes and pipe in water from the outside world.  After 40 days you can do the same for natural gas.  Everything else has to come from the initial stash of materials or from materials you mine from within the cold biome.

This challenge can be repeated for the slime biome, purple biome, or even the oil biome if you're feeling particular sadistic.  Each biome would present its own challenges and offer different resources to exploit in your quest for survival.

In the main menu in ONI, when you start a new world there is a 'Custom' option, and within it there is a specific world you can choose that is over 95% ice biome. You can use this as a challenge to survive. Your starting area is normal but everything else in the world is cold biome

On 09/12/2017 at 7:56 AM, Zarquan said:

@Saturnus With no combustion, I understand that you have to use hamster wheels to generate power.  However, am I allowed to use a natural gas generator for the polluted water and not use the power?  It could be interesting.  If I added that to my accept all dupes challenge, I could reasonably use exosuits to leave the base.  I mean, I would, but 40+ exosuit docks is sooooo expensive.

Regardless if you use the power generated or not, it's still using combusting, so no.

I've a (sustainable) base in which I don't use pufts, morphs and slicksters. No / the least possible 'black holes' in game for me adds to the realism of the game. I am allowed to use wheezeworts because since you can't vent heat into space you need 'black holes' in that regard anyway.

Also posted this challenge in another (related) thread.

Here is a 'Lemmings' or 'The Cube' custom map challenge I've started, feel free to give this saved game a try.

Objective: Try to navigate your dupes through the map while surviving.  Tip: you might need to use 'red alert' mode at one point to keep them awake at night.

Rules:  don't deconstruct doors or interfere with automation circuits.

*  This was surprisingly hard to create due to various quirks with debug tools. Might try adding more traps and content later.

image.thumb.png.1bd59907ccfc7556a5cf7f700eed65b7.png

If anyone else builds their own challenge maps, please share as I'd love to try them out!  It's much more challenging and fun to create one of these maps than it is to just play one.

Lemmings 1-1.sav

Archived