The Grind To Get Everything

The Curator

Opening around fourty chests, which is equal to maybe ten hours of gameplay or a little more, nets around three to six elegants. Depending.

There are roughly twenty four elegants in total, and there is nothing stopping you from getting duplicates instead of ones you actually need.

The grind is absurd. A player will have to invest potentially fourty or more hours into this event alone to have even a remote chance of unlocking everything without paying for the character pack or buying and unraveling skins for thread. Which would not be so bad if it weren't for the fact this event is temporary so when it ends, anything you don't have you likely will never be able to get. Which would not be even worse if it weren't for the fact that there is zero randomization to this event at all, it is the exact same thing every single time. And you have to play that potentially over a hundred or more times to have a roll of the dice at getting all the event items. For a player that really likes this game and has a lot of free time this is fine, but what about regular players who aren't obsessed enough to sink dozens of hours into playing the same twenty minute wave survival over and over. What about the players who can't afford to spend dozens of hours of this month playing the event. Are they just not supposed to be able to get all the items, what kind of content is that which expects players to not get the full reward from playing it.

This is a pretty classic strategy for MMOs and such. You make an event that requires obscene amounts of grinding and give players the option to buy their way out of it, so players who don't have the time or patience that actually like the game enough to want the things from the event; will pay to not have to grind as much.

I even bought the character pack and have played the event for over fifteen hours, and I'm still nowhere close to having all the elegants. I'll likely have to weave them but there's no guarantee that in the next fifteen hours I'll even get enough thread to do that. This is too much honestly, way too much.

I mean...

5 minutes ago, The Curator said:

but what about regular players who aren't obsessed enough to sink dozens of hours into playing the same twenty minute wave survival over and over.

Then they don't get the skins.

It's that simple really. If you're not gonna put in the time of course you're not gonna get the skins-even if its an absurd amount.

As someone who has been playing a good chunk of Forge sitting on level 70+, and having bought the skin pack, I need about 7,500 spools to craft the remaining elegants.

If it was reasonable to get everything easily then there would be little reason to buy the skins apart from supporting Klei-but people would much rather support them while getting something in return.

That said, I acknowledge your point. Assuming I get a common for every single chest from now on that'll be a maximum of 375 chests. Which is like 375 hours assuming a match time average of 30 minutes-usually taking 2 matches to level up. Again though, this is under the assumption I only ever get commons.

On the bright side I believe it was stated that they hope to bring the Forge back eventually. Though I'm on mobile and too lazy to try and pull the quote. I'll probably edit it in later.

39 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Which would not be even worse if it weren't for the fact that there is zero randomization to this event at all, it is the exact same thing every single time

weren't you crying about how random the forge was in another thread?

I'm with Zeklo. I just made a list of items I want, sorted in order from most desired to least desired. I'm not the one who has lots of time to play etc, but I don't need all skins. I find many elegants ugly, that's my personal opinion.
 I really love clothing they introduced, it's totally different from what we had so far.

I just wished they gave us the option to buy ALL the skins, for those who have lives, school, and are sick of the repetitive grind that is The Forge.

I love the skins, and for the first 30 levels, it was fun.

But after that, it was starting to drag and I was craving something new and random. So I hopped off The Forge and booted up ONI.

Which depresses the heck outta me because I want the skins SO badly!!

38 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

I just wished they gave us the option to buy ALL the skins, for those who have lives, school, and are sick of the repetitive grind that is The Forge.

I love the skins, and for the first 30 levels, it was fun.

But after that, it was starting to drag and I was craving something new and random. So I hopped off The Forge and booted up ONI.

Which depresses the heck outta me because I want the skins SO badly!!

why not buy teh skin pack twice, unravel the duplicates, and craft the things you can't buy with those threads?

you can buy that skin pack multiple times, so there isn't any reason why you can't actually BUY the skins you want by buying duplicate gladiator costumes, unraveling them, and crafting what you desire

Just now, Jynn said:

why not buy teh skin pack twice, unravel the duplicates, and craft the things you can't buy with those threads?

you can buy that skin pack multiple times, so there isn't any reason why you can't actually BUY the skins you want by buying duplicate gladiator costumes, unraveling them, and crafting what you desire

Because then that means that I'll have to go through the tedious process of having to unravel them all.

I ain't gettin corporal tunnel for dis.

Spoiler

Yes, I know I said corporal tunnel. I meant what I said. 

20 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

The achievements give you lots of levels

Indeed. Aiming to get all of them is lts of fun, I like how this makes you play characters your normally wouldn't. I'll have to try being runner at some point.

2 hours ago, Maslak said:

I'll have to try being runner at some point.

It's easier than it looks! Just hop on a server with good ping and just give it a try sometime. And I agree, it's a smart system to get you to play and experience all the characters individually haha.

Archived