Why DST Shipwrecked wouldn't work

While Reign Of Giants got ported to DST during the Early Access, some features were left outside forever such as the Old Bell, or even Vanilla features like Caves made it some time after.

Shipwrecked hasn't been added, yet is highly requested in announcements along with "It's a great idea"

The problem is, compared to other survival games, Don't Starve/Together require time and resource management way more.

Shipwrecked does not help as it involves moving from area to area using craftable boats which need resources to be made with, otherwise you are restricted to the island you are in only until you find the resources.

So if players were given the resources or a boat on spawn, one of Walani's perk goes down, and the features becomes unfair to Solo, where you need to get the resources spending time, exploring the area and more.

The main problem is that if players spawn in the same place, there will be less resources for new players. Also, random spawns would decrease the fun of being kiss-close with others as a player who stays with others. Let's not forget that mobs have more HP so being at distance at the beginning will surely increase the difficulty.

Although, Warly works perfectly outside of Shipwrecked if he is re-balanced a bit more, while the remaining Trio don't, which I find quite interesting.

TL:DR: Join an empty server with 1000 days and vote to regenerate the world as soon as you are in.

40 minutes ago, Residays said:

TL:DR: Join an empty server with 1000 days and vote to regenerate the world as soon as you are in.

But you have to survive enough days to do that now.

Anyways, Klei will find a way to make it easier for people who have JUST JOINED the world

Shipwrecked wasn't even that well designed for singleplayer, and the characters have some "interesting" design choices.  Walani has no end-game, Warly's nerf was unwarranted, and Woodlegs really doesn't fare well in RoG.

I don't think Klei has any intention of bringing shipwrecked to DST but the best implementation would be something similar to the caves where it has its own shard and isn't one you spawn on.

A way Klei could tackle it (which is what the Island Adventures mod is doing) is to combine the RoG and SW worlds: With the players spawning on the RoG island and being completely surrounded by water and the SW islands, the RoG seasons taking place on the RoG island, and the SW seasons occurring on the ocean and surrounding islands, and the Volcano being a part of the Caves shard, only accessible through the Volcano. (cause I doubt any casual DST player would be able to host 3 or 4-sharded worlds). The SW characters and other mechanics such as SW's weather do need some much needed balancing and fixing for a multiplayer setting, but other than that I think that could work.

On 9/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, Chris1488 said:

A way Klei could tackle it (which is what the Island Adventures mod is doing) is to combine the RoG and SW worlds: With the players spawning on the RoG island and being completely surrounded by water and the SW islands, the RoG seasons taking place on the RoG island, and the SW seasons occurring on the ocean and surrounding islands, and the Volcano being a part of the Caves shard, only accessible through the Volcano. (cause I doubt any casual DST player would be able to host 3 or 4-sharded worlds). The SW characters and other mechanics such as SW's weather do need some much needed balancing and fixing for a multiplayer setting, but other than that I think that could work.

That's pretty much why I got both DLCs for the original and then noticed you could have only 1 at once and I died.

19 hours ago, Residays said:

That's pretty much why I got both DLCs for the original and then noticed you could have only 1 at once and I died.

Yeah, my main quarrel with the world sharing in singleplayer is being locked out of certain crafting recipes when you're on the SW islands and vice versa, such as machetes and Ice Makers. It makes bringing most resources from one world to the other useless. I'd love if there was a mod that fixed that issue, but alas.

Firstly, it wouldn't work because they'll never do it.

Secondly, the whole Shipwrecked would be like adding another cave into the game (and we all know how hard that whole thing was for the devs, I was surprised they actually pulled it off). Not to mention there's the volcano.

Personally, I think Shipwrecked should stay in SP and have some of it's assets passed on to the core game. Stuff that fits with the environment, like snakes, I WANT POISON SNAKES IN DST! Imagine what a game changer poison would be for PVP. Willows would stand a chance now.

Also, maybe some characters could get passed. I think Warly and Wilbur (if he could control Splumonkeys, forcing Wilbur mains to mostly live below the surface in a sort of underground monkey kingdom) would work. 

2 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Secondly, the whole Shipwrecked would be like adding another cave into the game (and we all know how hard that whole thing was for the devs, I was surprised they actually pulled it off). Not to mention there's the volcano.

Now if you look a couple posts above yours you'll see a pretty good example on how to work around this very issue...

On 9/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, Chris1488 said:

18 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

Yeah, my main quarrel with the world sharing in singleplayer is being locked out of certain crafting recipes when you're on the SW islands and vice versa, such as machetes and Ice Makers. It makes bringing most resources from one world to the other useless. I'd love if there was a mod that fixed that issue, but alas.

There actually is a mod for that!

10 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Also, maybe some characters could get passed. I think Warly and Wilbur (if he could control Splumonkeys, forcing Wilbur mains to mostly live below the surface in a sort of underground monkey kingdom) would work. 

Why I like this idea so much, I don't know, but that just seems so amazing and funny. The same problem Webber has directly affects him, though, which is that you cannot bring your minions between the shards at all, which makes Wilbur useful only for his speed aboveground. (He does become a stellar spelunker though.)

Now for my own two-sense here, I think it would actually be a cool idea if we could choose between four available shards to use as the two a server would have. For example, since Shipwrecked itself has plenty of items from Caves reskinned, we could have two shards, RoG and Shipwrecked being used. Or we could have Caves and Shipwrecked. (I do think the volcano could just become a molten island with the dragoon dens and obsidian stuff that respawns every Dry Season.)

14 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Now if you look a couple posts above yours you'll see a pretty good example on how to work around this very issue...

Yeah, I read that...and it would never happen.

I don't know if you remember, but when Shipwrecked was released, people were kinda pissed. People wanted more additions to ROG. Not an entirely new game. People wanted to be able to sail the ROG seas and fight a Moosegoose in the ocean.

Instead...We got Shipwrecked, which was a little bit of new content mixed in with basically re-skins or re-imaginings of already existing creatures in ROG.

It was frustrating...

Point is, if there was a way to combine Shipwrecked and ROG into the same shard, they would have done it already.

Shipwrecked was mostly Capy work, and was, as far as i know, a standalone before community asked for something linked to classic DS. Maybe the reason why it's not combined with RoG is because it wasn't planned at the start and the project was too advanced when people requested it. DST could, maybe, allow something different.

18 hours ago, Lumina said:

Shipwrecked was mostly Capy work, and was, as far as i know, a standalone before community asked for something linked to classic DS. Maybe the reason why it's not combined with RoG is because it wasn't planned at the start and the project was too advanced when people requested it. DST could, maybe, allow something different.

Was the people on Capy the people who originally made Don't Starve?

7 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Was the people on Capy the people who originally made Don't Starve?

Obviously not. But what does this have to do with anything? It doesn't help either side of the debate. If anything it just brings it back to the beginning with why SW is mostly it's own standalone content. Because it was a collaboration between Klei and Capy. And when a collaboration project fails, it often fails spectacularly (Thankfully it didn't though). So keeping it away from the base game seemed like a good precaution to me.

Seeing as how SW would likely need to be rebuilt from the ground up, and by the original developers, it would be a good opportunity to better integrate SW into the main world. With a few tweaks to world gen and the way weather works, the SW world could easily share the same shard as the main DST world (as suggested above). And the volcano could easily share the same shard as the caves.

So is it possible for SW to work in DST? Yeah. Is it ever gonna happen? Probably not. At least not anytime soon anyway...

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Obviously not. But what does this have to do with anything? It doesn't help either side of the debate. If anything it just brings it back to the beginning with why SW is mostly it's own standalone content. Because it was a collaboration between Klei and Capy. And when a collaboration project fails, it often fails spectacularly (Thankfully it didn't though). So keeping it away from the base game seemed like a good precaution to me.

Seeing as how SW would likely need to be rebuilt from the ground up, and by the original developers, it would be a good opportunity to better integrate SW into the main world. With a few tweaks to world gen and the way weather works, the SW world could easily share the same shard as the main DST world (as suggested above). And the volcano could easily share the same shard as the caves.

So is it possible for SW to work in DST? Yeah. Is it ever gonna happen? Probably not. At least not anytime soon anyway...

I just asked cause I feel like the current people working on DST aren't the same people.

But anyway, I would love nothing more to see Shipwrecked in DST. I just don't know how they would do it.

Would they get rid of their current ocean and swap it? It would completely change how the game looks. 

On 7.9.2017 at 2:16 AM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Would they get rid of their current ocean and swap it? It would completely change how the game looks. 

Yeah, that's the biggest problem. The could make a transition between SW and DST ocean, like another kind of reef. Or how about a waterfall in the sea, that surrounds the big island, only interrupted by a few passages with a beach biome.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:15 PM, Chris1488 said:

Now I'm by no means a casual DST player, but a 3 or 4-sharded world?! My poor laptop would spontaneously combust!

And that kinda renders the whole point moot, doesn't it? The whole purpose of adding in (or porting) DLC to DST is to make the transition as smooth and as easy as possible for people who don't own the latest PC Master Race made computers that are able to run off of liquid nitrogen. So not only would the minimum specs required for the game skyrocket, but think about those people who pay for dedicated servers. The costs to run a multi-sharded server would skyrocket as well.

I feel that a lot of people (myself included) would stop playing this game if suddenly the requisites to run DST exceed the specs of the computer owned, because Shipwrecked isn't worth dropping another x amount of dollars to buy a computer that meets the new min specs, alongside something that I'll get into later.

The thing with multiplayer games is that players are content, and if players are dropping off from this game like rats on the titanic due to there being nobody on the servers, then 

A. That's a lot of lost revenue

B. Bad word of mouth starts to spread

C. More and more people start to stop playing, ask for refunds, and eventually the servers will die

The only way I can see this being a viable thing for Klei is that they either make RoG and Shipwrecked completely separate in the world gen, meaning you're either making an RoG world, or a Shipwrecked world, or they make DST Shipwrecked a stand-alone game. (It's most likely going to be the latter rather than the former)

And if they were to implement it, it'd have to be payed DLC, because, to be real, porting Shipwrecked to DST is going to cost a LOT of money for the devs at Klei, and making it free DLC would just end up being a cost fallacy.

(Also, since Shipwrecked was created between two dev studios (Klei and Capy), I'm pretty sure they'd need to license certain aspects of the game in order to add it into DST.)

Archived