Give me some Wickerbottom tips.

Here's all I know:
Applied Horticulture is good for mass berry and crop production.

Tentacles are OP.

You can use the End is Nigh for combat purposes, charging Volt Goats, or charging your fellow WX78.

Sleepytime Stories is basically just a panflute that costs sanity.

Birds of the World with a Feather Hat is quite rewarding.

Use Birds of the World, the Reed Trap setpiece, and the Feather Hat for mass blowdart production.
Here's a question for you guys:

I've heard alot about tentacles not being able to spawn on certain turfs, namely grass turf. Is this true in any situation? If I'm trapped in the middle of some walls and spawn tentacles, what will happen?

Huh, tentacles can't spawn on certain turfs? I didn't know about anything like this, but I haven't played Wicker a lot either. But yeah, it's got a lot of great applications. Use next to spider nests, mactusk camps, as a hound field before you have enough tooth traps up, or a hound mound to farm teeth (and gems?), potentially against giants if you've got the stuff to spare (just try to distract the giants with yourself some too), or kill clockworks solo, etc.

BotW is good for emergency food or getting a bunch of feathers... or trying to purposefully spawn Krampus (which is pretty hard in together any other way, in my experience.) You can also use it in the middle of a lureplant and then kill the plant for all the loot, without a nightmare of tentacles to worry about with the reeds >.>

Horticulture can also help with grass/twig shortages, mostly the former. It's easy to go through so much grass, so quickly.  Farms and berries are more notable though as you say. Mass produce dragonpie!

And Sleepytime is the best emergency button. <3 Can't deal with hounds or giant right now, then just... don't!

Just looked it up, if you're inbetween some barriers (like walls or fences) when you use the book, it'll only spawn it within the barriers. Turf has nothing to do with it.

I've been caught up with school recently, but this weekend I'm gonna get back onto DST to try to finally build a megabase. I'll most likely be using Tentacles around my base in marked areas for protection, and definitely for spider farming and hound farming, as a desert isn't very far from base.

Also, Birds of the world + sleepy time = krampus/morsel/feather and nightmare fuel farming.

And another little one: Try not to use On Tentacles near the ocean. I've had some spawn in the ocean before and they're a real pain to take care of.

And this one isn't a Wickerbottom tip exactly, but if you have a Maxwell in your group then have them use the books. He'll have an easier time getting his sanity back then Wickerbottom would.

5 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

And this one isn't a Wickerbottom tip exactly, but if you have a Maxwell in your group then have them use the books. He'll have an easier time getting his sanity back then Wickerbottom would.

Au contraire, there actually is a better Wickerbottom tip there: learn to be comfortable with low sanity and prepared to deal with the shadow creatures, that way you can make full use of the book skill and a be better overall player.

2 hours ago, Quyzbuk said:

Au contraire, there actually is a better Wickerbottom tip there: learn to be comfortable with low sanity and prepared to deal with the shadow creatures, that way you can make full use of the book skill and a be better overall player.

Now this is what I like to hear. Shadow Creatures are relatively easy for me to fight so I'll definitely try this out.

dont die

But I do have some actual tips for you. The inability to sleep also somewhat affects your health, as you can't use a tent/leanto to restore health. Rather, I tend to rely on Fishsticks mostly for health. Even Glommer's Goop is a good item to heal with, and I actually try to keep one on me in case of an emergency.

14 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

8 hours ago, Quyzbuk said:

Or just get a bee hat and your local little flower girl with crippling depression.

They really need to rework Maxwell, Willow and Wilson.

14 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

Wait, why does it have to be Wendy? Is it something to do with her lower sanity drain?

Oh not at all, you see Wendy can make abigail flowers if she loses Abby, but if you were to say leave said abby flowers on the ground they turn into normal flowers and if you haunt normal flowers they turn into evil flowers.

Now if I were playing Wendy I'd get my closest mod/controller and place a ton of Abigail flowers say 40 in one spot all on top of each other and then kill myself...then by killing myself with an amulet nearby, I can get to work on haunting the flowers into evil flowers to make a sanity regen station.

I'm now on day 75 on my main world, and it's doing pretty alright. Just fought bearger with the help of some Treeguards, and now I'm planning to get a Hibearnation Vest, or possibly an Insulated Pack (meh).

Hounds are getting worse and worse and at this point I'm relying on my Tentacles to fight them. When I get enough Hound Teeth, I'm going to make a stylish trap field, complete with Tooth Traps, Tentacles, and maybe some Pigs or Bunnymen.

But, seriously, Tentacles are freaking AWESOME. I put some in next to my Spider Den, and provided that the Tentacles dont go too close to the Den utterly destroying it, I get a hefty supply of Silk, Spider Glands, and Monster Meat if I'm fast enough every night.

Currently, I'm working on getting a Shadow Manipulator, a Flower Farm, and drying racks (because for some goddamn reason I always forget to make drying racks). I had to use an Amulet, but besides that I'm doing pretty well. After all of this happens I'll be delving into the Ruins.

You guys have any tips atm?

2 hours ago, Destros09 said:

Find hound mounds and build a tentacle field, you should be farming gems and teeth that way and chase after every butterfly and grab some homeless bees too

Don't hound mounds only spawn normal hounds? I never remember seeing an ice or fire hound coming out of one of those.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Don't hound mounds only spawn normal hounds? I never remember seeing an ice or fire hound coming out of one of those.

I also thought it earlier, however, in the last times I saw red hound an hound mounds more times, so I guess they really do.

On 3/4/2017 at 4:34 PM, fimmatek said:

I also thought it earlier, however, in the last times I saw red hound an hound mounds more times, so I guess they really do.

On 3/4/2017 at 3:38 PM, Destros09 said:

It says they do on the wiki

On 3/4/2017 at 3:06 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

As of this posting, houndmounds follow:

In Summer there's a 20% chance to spawn a fire hound.

Otherwise it's always a regular hound.

This is what happens when one is hit or haunted with a player nearby and it has a hound pending release but hasn't been released yet:

Days passed -> % chance on spawning fire/ice hound

0-15 -> 0%

16-30 -> 10%

31-50 -> 20%

51-75 -> 33.3%

76+ -> 50%

The season must be Winter or Spring for it to be an ice hound, and Autumn or Summer for a fire hound.

If you are conscientious kill all the mactusk on your map every three days in the winter, you'll soon have enough teeth. Start out hunting him for the tusk and tam, but keep doing it for the teeth you get from his hounds. If you find him burning through your precious armor, freeze him with an ice staff before killing the hounds. 

Tooth trap fields have so many uses. They're great when a bunch of enraged moslings are after you.

Sanity is a nagging problem with Winterbottom, so make the drying racks a priority. They're a lot of work to set up, but once you have 10 or 12, use them for everything and enjoy the regular health and sanity boosts.

Since Wickerbottom can't use a tent, make sure you have a lot of good food or healing items to get sanity or health back quickly. As @Rellimarual stated, Jerky racks, and finding a green/blue mushroom field in the caves is a huge boon.

Cooked Green Mushrooms = 15+ sanity

Cooked Blue= 10+

Raw Blue = 20+ health, but a sanity penalty. (I believe it's twenty but it could be less.)

Archived