Island Adventures: A Shipwrecked Port

Hi, I have started playing Don’t Starve Together since last summer, and recently ‘finished’ learning all the cool stuff Shipwrecked has and had a blast playing through it. When I looked up Shipwrecked Together I was amazed to find this.

Being the person that I am I started thinking of all the issues that merging Don't Starve Together with Shipwrecked would create, and I took some time to think about solutions.

Spoiler

I’ve read this thread a bit, and from what I know your plan as a team is to create three world options with this mod. That being a combination of a single surface world with RoG and Shipwrecked island floating in a Shipwrecked sea. A second option being a pure Shipwrecked world, with multiplayer support. Lastly an option to have RoG and Shipwrecked worlds separated, resulting in three dedicated servers holding the caves + ruins, RoG surface world and the Shipwrecked surface world.

The second and third option should be easy, because no game mechanics are competing with each other. With the first option, things like winter and hurricane season can create conflicts. Being the person that I am, I started thinking of solutions for these problems and how I would personally view a Shipwrecked Together. So therefor I’d like to elaborate on my thoughts.

I would envision a world where the current Don’t Starve Together surface world would act as the central island in the vast ocean. Because of the sheer size, and the need to have enough ocean between multiple ‘rings’ of islands around the center of the map, I think it would be best if the main island would spawn as if in Don’t Starve Together the world option ‘small’ was chosen. Along with that, the entire world size and size of the archipelago would be as if the world setting ‘huge’ was chosen. I think that way a decent balance in sizes would be created.

I believe that the day-night cycle is the same between RoG and Shipwrecked year round, so I think that requires no additional tweaking.  

Another conflicting mechanic would be the four seasons. Mild season and autumn behave similarly, with virtually no environmental effects. The only thing is the occasional strong winds that can occur in Shipwrecked. I don’t know how strong winds would behave in a multiplayer world. Do they occur globally or can they be local? I suppose the easiest way and in terms of programing would be globally. I think having strong winds occur on the center island would be the way to go, and I think thematically it also fits as a small autumn gust.

Winter and hurricane season are functionaly different, but in a merged world are required to be merged as well. I think the result would boil down to winter, but with blizzards. During winter, strong winds are thematically plausible as a winter storm. Hail is realistically uncommon during winter, normally being a byproduct of thunderstorms that form commonly during summer. Thematically I think it can pass as it is a form of ice, and the average player wouldn’t  mind it I think.
Lightning would be more out of place. I thought about leaving it for spring, and having freezing along with the now added strong winds be more than enough of a challenge for winter. But I couldn’t really, as it is core of hurricane season and stormy weather. Perhaps it is possible to have lightning happen locally, with the frequency of it increasing the further the player is away from the center of the map. That would result in hurricane season in full glory outside of the center island, and on the center island it would be virtually non-existent. But this is my idea, and I think programming it would be hard. It would be the prettier but harder solution.

Another aspect of winter is freezing. In hurricane season, this is however not a current factor. It would be weird to have snow falling on the tropical jungle and beaches. Now this would again be hard to program, but I think the ideal solution would be to have the ambient temperature be dependent on the distance away from the center of the map. Functionaly, the global temperature is the same. During mid-spring and mid-autumn the global temperature is equally everywhere. However the further away from the center of the world, the less the ambient temperature fluctuates. This would result in warmer winters and cooler summers away from the center, properly creating the current winter’s freezing and hurricane’s none-freezing.
To explain this, the center island has a realistic inland climate, resulting in hotter summers and colder winters. Because it is hotter, it would also explain why in Don’t Starve Together objects can combust during summer, but not in Shipwrecked during dry season. Currently, the player begins to take freezing damage at 0
°C, and overheating damage at 70°C. On average, I’d roughly guess the center island’s winter will result in current Don’t Starve Together’s freezing temperatures, which I assume to be around -5°C.  In hurricane season, this is around 35°C. Currently in the Don’t Starve Together summer, I think the maximum temperature is 75°C or something like that. I think this is the same in dry season.

I propose making it so the coldest temperature at the exact center of the world, at midnight, should be -10°C. It would climb to around 0°C, still enough to freeze, just outside of center island’s range. Around the far edges of the world, the temperature is at its lowest 10°C. Because of the frequent rain, the resulting wetness will be enough to drop the perceived temperature below freezing levels, but without actually having snow cover the tropical islands.
During summer, at the exact world center at midday, I think the maximum temperature would be 85°C, and dropping to 75°C at the edges of the world.

Spring and monsoon season. They have rain, and the occasional lightning strike. Functionaly they are almost the same, except that Shipwrecked also has puddles. Personally I could live with puddles generating on the center island, as long as puddles in general wouldn’t grow as big and/or spawn as close together as they do currently.

Summer and dry season, in terms of temperatures I have discussed earlier. But now I’d like to transition to Giants and others. In the summer’s case, how would the player interact with both the Antlion and the Volcano? I propose removing the Volcanic altar of snackcrifice, and moving the Antlion to the Volcano. Thematically, when angered, I envision the Antlion to create geological instability, causing the volcano to erupt. This way the Antlion remains as a memorable creature and potential bossfight, and the player doesn’t have to offer items to two distant forces of destruction.
Another option would be to have the Antlion be active year round, and have him only enrage locally. For example, only limiting his anger to players inside the desert biome he resides in instead of globally. I know the mod is exclusively about porting Shipwrecked and merging it, but a balance lever to have hanging around the desert be of any interest could be if a pleased Antlion gave out more valuable items.

Bearger should either spawn exclusively on the center island, or he should be able to swim like real life bears. That way he could spawn near the player on distant islands without being trapped there. Either way, it would be tricky to program I think. Having Bearger be forced to spawn on the center island only, or adding a swimming animation would be a hell of a task I can assume. In the first case, it would also kind of remove the thread of a giant if the player stays at the distant islands. Then again, Bearger is largely passive, and doesn’t despawn, meaning in Don’t Starve Together he can simply be parked in an unloaded area. So that might not really be an issue after all.

I think swimming would be something Deerclops is unable to do. I also cannot envision to remove any existing giant, so I have to preserve both Deerclops and the Sealnado. I propose leaving the Sealnado as it is, allowing him to spawn at the center island aswell, though perhaps making it so that he isn’t allowed to spawn near a player if Deerclops is also near said player. That way, players that live on the center island but at seperate locations can both have a different Giant attacking them at the same time. It would also be interesting if there was one unpredetermined giant attack.

I see no conflict between the Tiger Shark and Goose/Goose. They both can be avoided in their associated game versions. The only thing I might tweak is adding Goose/Goose nest setpieces to occasionally generate on distant islands.

Regarding Chester and Packim Baggims. I feel that any memorable creature created in the Don't Starve games cannot be removed. Furthermore, because Shipwrecked Together is multiplayer as a balance option to support multiple players I think having two mobile chests per world isn't overpowered. As as a single player taking down bosses with increased health pools is a multiplayer disadvantage, while being able to have two mobile chests follow you is a multiplayer advantage. A bit of giving and taking.
Anyway, because Chester is unable to transition from land to ocean, I think it would be required for Chester to be able to swim. A different option would be to have Chester simply stay behind at land until the player returns to land, but I think that Chester wouldn't be able to teleport to the player if he is unloaded when the distance between him and the player is too great
I know from experience that having both Chester and Packim Baggims together in the same world.tends to mess with their AI, causing both of them to follow the Fishbone, or if the Eyebone is present in the world, both will follow that item. Having both exist at the same time would be hard to program.

One more thing I’d like to address, that being the volcano. Like I read on the thread, merge the volcano with the caves. One difference I would make, is that I would replace the current Volcano entity with an additional island like any other you would encounter in Shipwrecked. It would consist of only one Magma Field biome, with a single entrance to the volcanic part of the caves, and a couple of lava pools (entities). The entrance would be an exact replica of the current exit we can find inside of the volcano.  I envision the lava pool entities to be separate from the ones that spawn at the Dragonfly setpiece. Perhaps being larger. Additionally, during a volcanic eruption, the radius in which they provide heat and the amount of heat they  provide increases drastically, causing most of the island to be dangerously hot similar to being inside of the volcano during an eruption in the current version of Shipwrecked.
Inside of the caves, obviously the volcano part should have some of these entities aswell, resulting in the massive overheating during an eruption, but not applying this to the entire caves server. It could be an interesting addition if it did however.

Lastly the Seaworthy. I see no use for it in a merged world. Perhaps it can spawn as a kind of wormhole, the only one that connects the center island with a distant island. Otherwise I would remove it.

This would conclude my current thoughts on any merging issues I could come up with. I hope it could be of any use.

A small warning, it might be a wall of text to some. In terms of pages it would be a three paged word document.

Edited by Hyxaru

Spider Warriors
Currently there are two types of Spider Warriors. Regular ones found in RoG and a venomous ones in Shipwrecked.
I suppose the Shipwrecked version will be used in a merged world, but I gues it would be annoying considering there are not many sources of antivenom on the main island, should these guys poison the player there.

Crafting Recipies
When inside a Shipwrecked world, or Volcano, certain recipies from RoG are not available and vice versa. For example, if I had the ingredients for moggles and stood next to an alchemical engine in Shipwrecked, I couldn't craft them. Will all crafting recipies between both worlds be available in a merged world? Personaly I would think having some not so survival important items craftable in Shipwrecked locked behind the Sea Lab be an awesome idea. Items such as the Iron Wind, Quacken items, Encrusted boat, Magma tiles to Cobblestones, etc.

Tweaks from RoG
Regarding the Floral Shirt, I suppose it will keep its Shipwrecked crafting recipy. Other items, such as the Piratihatitator I asume will be available alongside their RoG counterpart?

Edited by Hyxaru

5 minutes ago, Hyxaru said:

Spider Warriors
Currently there are two types of Spider Warriors. Regular ones found in RoG and a venomous ones in Shipwrecked.
I suppose the Shipwrecked version will be used in a merged world, but I gues it would be annoying considering there are not many sources of  antivenom available on the main island, should these guys poison the player there.

We can make spider warriors in the RoG area and the venomous spiders in the SW area, so you can have both, and not worry about venomous spiders in a place where there's no antivenom.

45 minutes ago, Hyxaru said:

Crafting Recipies
When inside a Shipwrecked world, or Volcano, certain recipies from RoG are not available and vice versa. For example, if I had the ingredients for moggles and stood next to an alchemical engine in Shipwrecked, I couldn't craft them. Will all crafting recipies between both worlds be available in a merged world? Personaly I would think having some not so survival important items craftable in Shipwrecked locked behind the Sea Lab an awesome idea. Items such as the Iron Wind, Quacken items, Encrusted boat, Magma tiles to Cobblestones, etc.

Everything is gonna be craftable in a merged world. SW worlds will most likely only have SW recipes.

What are your plans regarding the Seaworthy in a split world with a RoG, Caves and Shipwrecked shard? Currently, the Seaworthy, inside Shipwrecked, is a randomly but guaranteed generated setpiece, found on the outer islands. In RoG, it can be crafted, theoraticly multiple times if you are lucky to get the Sea Worter from flotsam, though realisticly only once from hammering the Sunken Boat. This Seaworthy can be placed anywhere in either the surface world, the caves or ruins. (Though placing it inside the caves or ruins will have the player teleport to the cave entrance every time they return to RoG)

Now I think that the Seaworthy would have to be revamped to support multiplayer. Because in RoG it needs to be placed by a player, it realy gives that player a great responsability to place it decently, as it cannot be uncrafted in any way currently.
In DST, cave entrances do not realy have this issue as there are multiple.

Perhaps merge the SeaWorthy with the Florid Postern, which would mean that every world has a fixed and equaly accesable portal to either world. (Caves Florid Postern excluded)
Or perhaps have multiple randomly generated Seaworthy in both worlds, similair to DST cave entrances.

Edited by Hyxaru