Wigfrid is considered OP? Why..!?

Yeah, imo Wigfrid is the easiest to play by a lot. I love her in dst- you don't have to worry about anything but keeping the other players alive. My first few days are spent looking for gold and rocks so I can make op gear for everyone else. 

Wigfrid is purely and simply a power fantasy. She's like an action hero, but without being a prick. You don't play wig for the challenge, you play her so you can focus on building things and supporting your team, or because you like hunting. Or maybe she just intrigues you (guess Winnie got really into acting, eh?). But the beauty of having so many characters is that when you realize Wigfrid is too op for what you want out of the game, you can try Wes or something.

I'm just gonna state some facts and opinions on Wolfgang and Wigfrid here. To put it simply, while Wolfgang can have 2x damage output when on a full stomach, Wigfrid constantly has her x1.25 multiplier. Yeah yeah yeah, anyone who knows the game can keep Wolfgang fed. Problem is, you're going to have to keep him fed in battle while his hunger drains even faster to keep that oh-so-perfect 2x damage output. While Wolfgang is shoving food into his face, Wigfrid doesn't even need to kite most of the time.

Another thing people boast about Wolfgang is his (inconsistent) 300 health, as opposed to Wigfrid's 200 health. It's the same issue with the damage output, except it's health. Also, if we're going to be talking about them tank-wise, Wolfgang doesn't even compare. Wigfrid always has that X0.75 damage taken no matter the situation, added on to her helmets protection. Yes, I know there's a 100 HP difference, but Wolfgang is essentially a balloon without being able to take hits as much as Wigfrid does. Also, Wigfrid is periodically healing when dealing out that X1.25 damage output. It makes kiting/tanking a lot more easier when you don't have to cram down on your food half-way through an opening.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget the animation pauses as well. It's essentially punishment for NOT taking your time to feed Wolfgang and allows for free hits from the enemy. I don't need to explain how this is bad in combat.

I've also heard time and time again that if you kite perfectly, then the need for a tank is completely gone. However, not only is that not guaranteed but there are also situations in DST where you cannot kite without trading some of your damage output for speed. Wolfgang also gets a speed boost as well, but most of the time its inconsistency makes it harder to keep track of how many times you can hit before peeling out, which is a common problem I have from my own experiences.

To summarize: Wigfrid = Easy Tank, Wolfgang = Micromanaging War Balloon. None of it really sounds overpowered, it's just that Wigfrid is overused and labeled overpowered because of new players easily adapting to her play style.

also for every one of you saying "x master race" unironically you're getting pleated shirts this/next week.

How someone can call gold a non-renewable resource is baffling. There is an unlimited supply of Gold in Don't Starve & Don't Starve Together. It is one of the most renewable resources in the game.

Wigfrid's Battle Helm blocks 750 damage, 300 more than the Football helmet's 450. The 2 gold to make the Battle Helm is easier to get than the 1 pigskin needed for the Football helmet, AND it lasts 66% longer.

1 caught or attacked rabbit = 1 gold

1 caught bird = 1 gold, attacked bird = 50% chance for 1 gold

1 spider = 50% chance for 1 gold

1 Spider Warrior = 50% chance for 1 gold

1 Koalefant = 9 gold

1 Beefalo = 4 gold

1 tall bird = 2 gold

1 tallbird egg = 1 gold

1 pengull = 1 gold

1 pengull egg = 1 gold

1 Tentacle = 2 gold

1 fishing rod = 10 gold

1 merm = 2 gold

1 frog = 1 gold

spring frog rain = more than 100 gold

1 pigman = 75% chance for 1 gold, 25% chance for 1 pig skin

1 werepig = 2 gold, 1 pig skin

1 pigman house = 2 pig skins

1 pig head on a spike = 2 pig skins

Gold is by far easier to come by than pig skins. And i haven't even mentioned gold boulders, grave yards, or caves. After you've hammered down all the pig heads, your only source for pig skins are the pigs themselves which only have a 25% chance to drop it, and the pig houses. But if you destroy all the pig houses then no more pigs spawn, so the houses are not a sustainable source of pig skins. The only sustainable way to get pig skins is to kill pigs, which only have a 25% drop rate. You could feed them 4 monster meat to turn them into were pigs for a 100% drop rate, but you'd be trading away 4 potential gold in exchange for 2 potential gold and 1 pig skin. So at a rate of 2 gold to 1 pig skin and the gold helmet being more efficient, even the most efficient method for obtaining pig skins is a waste of resources when compared to a Battle Helm.

And sure Wolfgang can do 2x damage, but he can also do 1/2 damage if his belly isn't full. And it takes a lot of food to fill him up. And he has a fast metabolism so he needs to refuel frequently. And he loses sanity fast. And he has no way to heal himself besides the normal gland, salve, poultice, food. Wigfrid always does 1.25x damage no matter what. does not require as much food. does not have to constantly eat to stay full. Restores sanity and health from killing things. Can craft stronger spears and helmets with no science required.

Wigfrid is an easy mode character as long as you know how to get enough meat.

Well...I guess I must like Don't Starve on "easy mode", then, because both of my very favourites are often listed as "good characters for new players"--Wigfrid and Willow!  I prefer to think of it as "I'd rather be bothered by the outside environment more than by constantly trying to maintain my character" but that's just me. Hard but short-in-duration challenges I _choose_ to do are more enjoyable for me than constant annoyances I can't control.  But, hey.  (Heck, even the way I customise my world says this--less zerg-swarm-ish annoying little enemies all jumping you at once...and then to get some difficulty _back_, I randomise the seasons.)

But I mainly play Wigfrid because _I like her_.  She's FUN to play as physically sure but I also enjoy her _personality_.  Weirdly enough, for being the ferocious warrior, in a way she's one of the NICEST characters of the game!  She's _respectful_ to even the smallest, weakest creatures, and treats everybody as a potential "honourable foe".  Compare this to some of the other characters.  I like her attitude.  I like how she respects nature even while killing it, and her oldschool hippie/feminist attitude.  (Flowers are from "the nature goddess", whenever she has to guess the gender of something it's always female if it's acting feisty/adventurous, etc.)

As for the above post about "everybody likes her because she's a chick and they're too embarrassed to admit it; it's for the novelty value because GASP SHOCK a woman going outdoors and using weapons!"...I'd normally be deeply offended as an in-the-bone feminist, but that was SO RIDICULOUS, in this day and age, that I can't even be arsed to get mad.  Instead, I'll just say this:

The men go outside and the women go inside, huh?  In...side?  What is this "inside" of which you speak?  I do not know your language, good stranger.

Dude, this is Don't Starve. EVERYBODY stays outside nearly all the time and EVERYBODY, regardless of gender, species or life-state, _has_ to do tough, dangerous things or die very quickly!  Survival doesn't _give_ a (beep) about what tackle you may or may not have down there.

...Notorious

Hahahaha.

Seriously, I'm a bit tired of omg feminist = sjw = tumblr = whiny obnoxious over-sensitive idiot who wants to control everybody's speech to the point of being a Nazi...but that has nothing to do with anything here...

Suffice to say that _there were feminsists before tumblr and there always will be_.

Wigfrid has a feminist attitude in that she believes being a woman doesn't make you lesser and that's the only part that matters kthanxbai.

...Notorious

3 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Hahahaha.

Seriously, I'm a bit tired of omg feminist = sjw = tumblr = whiny obnoxious over-sensitive idiot who wants to control everybody's speech to the point of being a Nazi...but that has nothing to do with anything here...

Suffice to say that _there were feminsists before tumblr and there always will be_.

Wigfrid has a feminist attitude in that she believes being a woman doesn't make you lesser and that's the only part that matters kthanxbai.

...Notorious

Reading that just hurt my eyes.

And I like how committed she is to her act to the point of nearly being an actual Valkyrie. She also had that kinda "grateful" attitude, as seen when inspecting various things such as petals. Another thing I like about her personality is her bravery. You'd know what I mean if you inspect a murderer in PvP or Deerclops or Klaus or spiders and so on.

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Wigfrid has a feminist attitude in that she believes being a woman doesn't stop you from being what you want and that's the only part that matters kthanxbai.

...Notorious

I'm sorry, I just thought it would've a been funny joke to bring up to lighten up some spirits, no harm was meant to be in that comment. And I'm sure they're very intelligent and calm feminists out there.

I like Wigfrid too. She's the main character I play as. But I'm not going to deny how easy it is to play as her. I wouldn't say she's good for beginners. Beginners will probably starve to death as Wigfrid, or kill themselves eating monster meat. Once you figure out how to hunt koalefants, farm spiders, know how to make eggs from monster meat, and learn crock pot recipes, then Wigfrid is easy. So I'd say she's the easiest character to play as for intermediate players but not for beginners.

And Willow is a terrible character. New players seem to enjoy burning forests down with Willow's lighter (even though they could do that with any other character using a torch), but they never survive very long as Willow. Her lighter may have a long duration, but it's more expensive than a torch and provides less light than a torch. Other than that she has no benefits (nobody understands what Bearnie does at first, and even when you know how to use him, it's a gamble if its even going to work or not) and she suffers from freezing and going insane more than other characters. And if there's 2 things new players don't know how to do, it's staying warm in the winter (if they can even last that long) and fighting off shadow creatures.

So I'd say Wigfrid is the best/easiest character for intermediate players, and Willow is never a good character. Maybe she could be fun for your first couple (very short) play throughs but that's about it.

I agree about intermediate players. Advanced players don't like her, in my experience, partly because they'd prefer not to have to think about food if possible and mostly live off of seeds, berries, mushrooms, and other foragings when roaming around the map on their projects. You have to devote too much time and attention to feeding her, which they find dull. Warly has a similar problem in SW. If your willing to plan his meals, he's amazing, but it definitely adds to the multitasking.

50 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I agree about intermediate players. Advanced players don't like her, in my experience, partly because they'd prefer not to have to think about food if possible and mostly live off of seeds, berries, mushrooms, and other foragings when roaming around the map on their projects. You have to devote too much time and attention to feeding her, which they find dull. Warly has a similar problem in SW. If your willing to plan his meals, he's amazing, but it definitely adds to the multitasking.

Isn't most of the food players eat when in "end game" meat based? Also i only thing that bugs me about her is that she cant eat butter fly's...

28 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

Isn't most of the food players eat when in "end game" meat based? Also i only thing that bugs me about her is that she cant eat butter fly's...

no.

dragonpies.

dragonpies everywhere.

3 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

impossibru_wolfgang_by_hidaruma-d7fim8q.

.....no love for wolfgang? because of how wigfrid is easier to play as?

What? You asked about Wigfrid being considered OP. We tell you yes, it is easy to play as Wigfrid. If you ask "Is Wigfrid the stronkest human alive in DST world?", we would tell you "No, Wolfgang is stronker". Nobody hating on no one, just stating facts to try to answer your initial question and help you understand :).

19 minutes ago, Fork said:

Everyone's yelling at eachother over Wigfrid vs Wolfgang and out-of-nowhere gender politics and I'm just over here eating logs.

Reveal hidden contents

Woodie master race

Give that man a chin, and he will be considered as a playable thing. Until that happens, nope :mad:.

I'm sorry GiddyGuy, I didn't mean to say that _you_ were one of those people...I'm just kinda sick of the whole tumblr stereotype.  It's so obnoxious that it bothers me _and I don't even have one_.  (Although something I made* _was_ reblogged around the place on there and got quite a few likes...and I didn't find out until way later 'cos, well, I'm not on there.  : P)  And I guess I was in a bad mood when I wrote that.

As for the other stuff...I still say play whoever you want, I like Wigfrid myself partially because of how she plays but also because of the flavour, the whole "Valkyrie warrior" thing is fun, and last but not least, due to one of the new Winter's Feast foods, now ALL of us can eat logs!

logcake.png

Heh.

...Notorious

*No, not anything...stereotypically tumblr.  It was my South Park-ized Doctor Who Companions thing.  This happened back when tumblr was just a place to post pictures and artwork, as originally intended, so, yeah.

2 hours ago, mochilo said:

What? You asked about Wigfrid being considered OP. We tell you yes, it is easy to play as Wigfrid. If you ask "Is Wigfrid the stronkest human alive in DST world?", we would tell you "No, Wolfgang is stronker". Nobody hating on no one, just stating facts to try to answer your initial question and help you understand :).

Thanks for the comfort, that made me feel alot better.

11 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

The men go outside and the women go inside, huh?  In...side?  What is this "inside" of which you speak?  I do not know your language, good stranger.

Ew, you mean you actually go outside and interact with people? that's scary! D:
You lead a difficult life, I feel sorry for you.
I just sit around in the forums begging Klei for Rose Skins.

Archived