Wigfrid is considered OP? Why..!?

Lately I've been playing DST and searching on forums and everyone seems to think Wigfrid is over-powered. 

She carries the ability to create "cheap" armour, however it really isn't cheap considering it takes a non-renewable source being gold, also rocks but with moon rocks you can technically say it's renewable.   (proven wrong later on the thread)

She has a 1.25x damage multiplier which to some is alot but to me is barely anything compared to Wolfgang's Mighty 2x. dmg!

She has lower sanity and hunger stats than wilson, which begs the question of why people think she is op? She has 50 more max HP than normally, however her lower sanity and hunger forces her to be on the prowl.

Am I the only one here who thinks Wigfrid is balanced? Her vampiric ability is gimmicky if you ask me and she can't eat all type of culinary foods, which is why I never pick her and instead decide to be Wolfgang. 

I guess some argue she's a better Wilson in a sense of the 1.25x dmg and is equipped for exploration but she doesn't really excel in battle compared to Wolfgang.

glorious wolfgang master race.png

It's feedback on Wigfrid and Wolfgang, as how the community is currently reacting to Wigfrid. Everywhere in the forums I see people calling Wigfrid over-powered, I have no idea why. If anyone actually played Wolfgang they would know what I mean, by the way if i'm not wrong, I vaguely remember you calling Wigfrid OP on a forum.

It might've been another person who said it but since you're a strong member of the community who seems to be active in the forums I think it was you, I'm probably wrong.

4 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

It's feedback on Wigfrid and Wolfgang, as how the community is currently reacting to Wigfrid. Everywhere in the forums I see people calling Wigfrid over-powered, I have no idea why. If anyone actually played Wolfgang they would know what I mean, by the way if i'm not wrong, I vaguely remember you calling Wigfrid OP on a forum.

It might've been another person who said it but since you're a strong member of the community who seems to be active in the forums I think it was you, I'm probably wrong.

Wigfrid is quite powerful as a character as it is quite easy to maintain her health and/or sanity via hunting spiders.  She also produces one of the best armors/weapons in the game for very cheap.  I would say that she is a rather strong character, but probably not overpowered.

That said, you don't seem to be suggesting anything.  Would this not be a general discussion, rather than a suggestion?

17 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

She carries the ability to create "cheap" armour, however it really isn't cheap considering it takes a non-renewable source being gold, also rocks but with moon rocks you can technically say it's renewable. 

Um, yes it is. Gold is super easy to get if you know where pig king is, and even without pig king there are quite a bit of gold rocks in a normal world. I find myself low on rocks more often that gold, but when that happens I just go live in caves for a bit.

22 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

. She has a 1.25x damage multiplier which to some is alot but to me is barely anything compared to Wolfgang's Mighty 2x. dmg!

Remember that in order to deal 2x damage consistently, you have to deal with 3x hunger drain. Even if you aren't mighty all the time, his hunger drain is still around 1.5x.

28 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

She has lower sanity and hunger stats than wilson

28 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

she can't eat all type of culinary foods

All the best items for hunger are meat based, so as long as you have a crockpot I'd say it's easier to keep her fed than Wolfgang with his 1-3x hunger drain. And although she doesn't have as many options when it comes to health and sanity, that is easily countered by her drain ability.

I'm not trying to make Wigfrid sound superior in every way, in fact I like Wolfgang. However, I think Wolfgang doesn't become better until the late game, when the cost of the armor doesn't matter and you can keep him fed all the time. The advantage of Wigfrid is that you have a strong start, which I think is why she's so popular on public servers.

Or you know, you can have them team up, and let Wigfrid make helmets for Wolfgang :D it's Don't Starve Together after all.

She's also I heard immersive for exploring, while Wolfgang is the type of player to set up in a base and farm any nearby spiders and pigs for bacon n' eggs / hambats. I don't understand why some people find Wigfrid OP or want her nerfed, she's a relatively open character for exploring and battles while Wolfgang is horrible at exploring but the strongest at battles.

32 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

I didn't think it would've gone in General Discussions since it's mostly targeted at Wigfrid and not the whole game, more of a feedback towards her. 

You're not offering feedback though, you're having a discussion about how the community views her.  You aren't suggesting changes or suggesting anything at all really.

Wigfrid is OP, because she gains health and sanity from every battle. A decent player can fight to heal. She starts with good battle gear. Gold is renewable through the pig king and earthquakes. Rocks are too, again from quakes and petrified trees. Her spear alone is good. Just eating meat is not a problem as she regains sanity and health from tents, food like unagi or fishsticks, and battle. She also has damage reduction like armour and deals more damage. She's easy to take care of while Wolfgang requires an experienced player. Do I need to elaborate?

Can an Admin move this to general discussions?

She's an character viable for newer players as she's easy to play with but her damage output can't be compared to Wolfgang. 

Wolfgang is hard to play with if you don't pay attention to his hunger specially with every stage he has, well if she's OP, what do you suggest any changes need to be changed Arlesienne? 

I don't think she needs a nerf to be honest, she can't eat any special food and Wolfgang is stronger in terms of strength. The health and sanity she gains from battle, other characters can gain it back from food (taffy, pumpkin cookies for sanity) and health (flower salad, dragon pie).

Wolfgang has a higher max health than Wigfrid when mighty of 300 HP, although it goes slowly down it's still a respectable larger amount of health pool.

1 hour ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

well if she's OP, what do you suggest any changes need to be changed Arlesienne?

I really don't care to touch her. I'd rather have new content than agonise over existing characters. Having Willow with a longer grace period from fires and Woodie with the protection of a logsuit as a werebeaver would be welcome, but I'm not obsessed with it. I doubt there's something sensible to change. Maybe a real downside. Not sure.

I've always seen the fact of her eating only meat too much of a downside for me, I've always had the sick fantasy of eating all the crock pot recipes in the game.

I do agree Willow, and Maxwell need refined touches but why Woodie? Woodie in DST doesn't wake up in the middle of nowhere with low hp and low sanity, his Werebeaver mode is easier to control not to mention he doesn't have any stat penalties when turning back. Heck, my brother who mains Woodie hates his version in DS.

Real downside? She's balanced the way she is.

Wigfrid compared to the "OP MASTER RACE WOLFGANG"

See thats more like a hole of a ace like wilson can get back from the dead from his "awesome looking beard" but wigfrid can make some good cheap armor which is kinda the good point and can make a spear thats better than the Tentacle spike which tbh that is kinda like somewhat OP when she can regen health and stuff and handling her health and sanity ain't no problem when you know how to pvp and just kill spiders which you do regen health and sanity over battle so ain't no prob but Wolfgang is like a hard character unless you are a pro since pvp with wolfgang you gotta worry about "I'm a Starving Refugee" but like Wolfgang and Wigfrid are both in a hole where you really can't tell who is a better character overall just like how Wicker and OP78 are characters where they got A lot of upsides but a downside which is easy to handle 

But wolfgang and Wigfrids downsides are kinda easy

But Wolfgang you gotta worry about the Hunger A LOT which you need to kill beefs or Koalfents/frogs/Merman/pigs to get all that good hunger for 'HULK" mode and wigfrid doesn't need to wait for that animation or doesnt need to go hulk mode since she does have a DMG multiplier for at a normal state

Wolfgang on the other hand can just really wreck everybody on a easy scale of using pure melee and can tank hits

Wigfrid is like your mini Panzer but then lets go to the co op mode

Wigfrid is more like a "Useless Making Armor Station" which is the good part just that yknow A LOT OF PEOPLE PLAY AS HER SO MUCH THAT EVEN I DON"T GET TO USE MY 2nd MAIN

But wolfgang is that good character for host or for a guy to be the main DPS class but In general most characters who go DPS would be 

Wolfgang, WX78, Wigfrid, Wicker, Waxwell or Webber because they got a lot of Upsides than most of other characters 

Wifgrid can still make her awesome spear and helmet for wolfgang which make wolfgang twice as strönk

That's it! for now I ship wifgridXwolfgang as the "Tag Team" or the "The Demolition Squad" 

You know how these two is unstoppable if one decide to use wifgrid's hunting skill to constantly sustain wolfgang's hulk mode.

4 hours ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

Wigfrid is more like a "Useless Making Armor Station" which is the good part just that yknow A LOT OF PEOPLE PLAY AS HER SO MUCH THAT EVEN I DON"T GET TO USE MY 2nd MAIN

I feel offended.

Well, I'll try to explain why people say "Wigfrid is OP" so often.

First off, her special items. She has her Battle Helm, which has almost double the durability of a football helmet, same amount of protection (blocking 80% of incoming damage) and is made with easier-to-get resources, which can be easily found and obtained while exploring. She also has the less significant Battle Spear, which deals around 42 damage, making it better than a normal spear but worse than a hambat and a tentacle spike.

Second, she has what I like to call "natural armor". Basically, she takes 25% less damage from EVERYTHING (except for food and crafting). That includes Charlie attacks, mob attacks and I believe starving / freezing / overheating damage.

Third, she has the ability to gain both sanity AND health from killing mobs. She heals exactly 4 health and 4 sanity from each spider killed using a Battle Spear or a better weapon. Which means she has little to no problem tanking / recovering from a fight.

Fourth, she has a higher Health stat than most others, a damage modifier of x1.25 and all of her stats, unlike Wolfgang, don't depend on her current hunger, which drains at normal speed.

The only drawbacks that she has are her low Sanity and Hunger and her inability to eat non-meat-based foods. Her low hunger means she can't get the full benefit of consuming a Meaty Stew, and her low sanity means she better be hunting spiders every day to keep from going insane (or just fight the goddamn terrorbeaks cuz wynaut). Her meat-based diet also means that instead of just prancing around in the first few days gathering 700 stacks of twigs, grass and so on she has to immediately start looking for food, only getting necessary resources along the way. It also means she can't eat good mid-combat foods like butter, blue mushroom caps and butterfly wings. Although this isn't much of a problem since she still can eat fishsticks and pierogi.

All in all, she, like most other characters, has more upsides than downsides to using her, and can easily survive if played by the right person.

EDIT: I was wrong about her taking less damage from unhealthy foods. I'm gunna test the freezing damage resistance thing soon. Sorry :/

.......WHAT. 25% LESS DAMAGE FROM EVERYTHING? :L

Oh, so that's why people say Wigfrid is over-powered. Damn...

So uh since, I've got tons of replies (thanks guys) in this topic, anyone care to suggest any nerfs or changes needed for Wigfrid?

The only idea I have is remove her 25% less damage passive armour, because she has a vampiric ability and a passive 25% less damage armour!?

I'm guessing because of a unique gameplay that she has, not to mention that the more upsides than downsides as mentioned from Electroely.

I guess she's maybe a bit too perky... 

mememojo.png

Wigfrid vs. Wolfgang:  The Whole Stupid "Master Race" Thing:  My opinion:

(clears throat)

(shuffles papers)

Ladies and gentlemen of the forums:  I submit to you that my client, Ms. Wigfrid, stays at her higher strength _all the time_ regardless of how hungry she is.  Whereas the honourable Mr. Wolfgang (gestures to him) turns into a total wimp as soon as he gets hungry.  Moreover, good citizens, he is harder to keep fed and when he changes from one state to another, he stops to announce it, an animation that breaks his stride, throws the player off their game, can get him hit by things that are chasing him and furthermore, drives this poster ABSOLUTELY ZARKING _BATTY_ GOOD GOD IT'S SO ANNOYING no offense Mr. Wolfgang.
(ahem)

To sum up:  He might be the superior character for SOME people but not all, there _is_ no "Master Race" chararacter and people have different playstyle preferences, gasp shock.

Thank you for listening and good night.

(and anybody who says "WOLFGANG ISN'T THAT HARD TO KEEP COMPETELY FULL _ALL THE TIME_ OMG YOU STUPID WIMPY NOOBS YOU NEED TO GIT GUD"* I say...well, I must be a horrible player then!  I'll just go back to my 432-day base in a world with 40-day winters every year and ponder how bad I am.)

...Notorious

*Also don't ever actually _use_ the phrase "git gud", especially spelled like that, without irony.  It just makes you look like a jerk.

I don't see how any of this matters. Characters have no balance whatsoever and the moment the developers attempted to push some balances, everyone whined. The same people who whined are the same people who want the game to be difficult and challenging. None of that makes sense unless they're playing by themselves because the moment your friends go on playing overpowered characters, the challenges and the difficulty of the game is greatly reduced. Therefore I see no reason why balance even matters at this point.

2 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Wigfrid vs. Wolfgang:  The Whole Stupid "Master Race" Thing:  My opinion:

(clears throat)

(shuffles papers)

Ladies and gentlemen of the forums:  I submit to you that my client, Ms. Wigfrid, stays at her higher strength _all the time_ regardless of how hungry she is.  Whereas the honourable Mr. Wolfgang (gestures to him) turns into a total wimp as soon as he gets hungry.  Moreover, good citizens, he is harder to keep fed and when he changes from one state to another, he stops to announce it, an animation that breaks his stride, throws the player off their game, can get him hit by things that are chasing him and furthermore, drives this poster ABSOLUTELY ZARKING _BATTY_ GOOD GOD IT'S SO ANNOYING no offense Mr. Wolfgang.
(ahem)

To sum up:  He might be the superior character for SOME people but not all, there _is_ no "Master Race" chararacter and people have different playstyle preferences, gasp shock.

Thank you for listening and good night.

(and anybody who says "WOLFGANG ISN'T THAT HARD TO KEEP COMPETELY FULL _ALL THE TIME_ OMG YOU STUPID WIMPY NOOBS YOU NEED TO GIT GUD"* I say...well, I must be a horrible player then!  I'll just go back to my 432-day base in a world with 40-day winters every year and ponder how bad I am.)

...Notorious

*Also don't ever actually _use_ the phrase "git gud", especially spelled like that, without irony.  It just makes you look like a jerk.

That was some amazing roleplay, I've said it before, Wigfrid is excellent in exploration but Wolfgang is the best at battle but not for exploring. Exploring as Wolfgang is not the most recommended considering you need lots of food and you never know what threat might come up ahead.

12 minutes ago, Electroely said:

That picture offends me.

LOL why is that? Is it because Webber is a contender against Wendy or..?

Anyways, we're getting a bit sidetracked, Trenix argues that the forums when suggesting character changes are redundant because of how most of the changes done results in the community whining and begging for a different change, although in a certain sense it might be true, but it can't be that way all the time, right? I mean Warly from DS:SW in his early days was over-powered because of how he could eat his food without delay, and then the developers added a 1.75 food variety nerf, in which he has to wait 1.75 days to eat the same meal again with the extra benefits. In contrast to what Trenix said, the food variety was suggested by a member of the community. What was the name of the member? mitboy? If you dig deep enough you find that the developers truly care about the community, please don't say that Trenix.

Anyone wondering about this forum, here's the link .

Archived