[Game Update] - East or West, Base is Best (BETA 187380)

• Developer

DSTupdate_eastorwest_sm.png

Hey everyone,

Here's the first update for A New Reign public beta testing!
[How to participate in A New Reign public beta testing]
Please note that save data for the beta branch is kept separate from the live branch at:

\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherANewReignBeta

Changes

• Minimap data is now stored on the server.
  • Added new Minimap icons for tree stumps and burnt trees.
  • Players can now locate each other on the Minimap if they both have a Compass equipped.
  • Added several new magical items that can be crafted to globally mark a spot or reveal an area on the Minimap for everyone.
  • Improved animations and effects for diseasing.
  • Disease will now only target individual transplanted Saplings, Grass, and Berry Bushes, and spread slowly to nearby plants unless removed or destroyed.
  • Disease is now rare and unpredictable, but there are warning signs that players can look out for before a plant becomes diseased.
  • Terrain will no longer provide any disease immunities.
  • Disease and Petrification are now separately tunable in World customization options.

Bug Fixes

• Player Minimaps will now load properly when rejoining a server from a different machine.
  • Caves Minimap is now properly cleared when a player dies in Wilderness mode.

View full update

• Like 18

19 minutes ago, V2C said:

Disease will now only target individual transplanted Saplings, Grass, and Berry Bushes, and spread slowly to nearby plants unless removed or destroyed.

So twiggy trees and saplings, juicy and non-juicy bushes, etc. will be able to coexist now? Or does disease still kill off an out-of-cycle resource?

• Like 1

• Developer

Yes they can all co-exist now.  Currently, variations such as Twiggy Trees and Juicy Berry Bushes are only spawned during world gen, but in a later patch, we plan on cycling resource variations back into the world resource rejuvenation that happens slowly over time.

• Like 6

EDIT: Ignore me, it was conflict within ports in master shard, sorry guys caves work fine!

Are the caves working properly on Beta or Am I doing something wrong? On startup of caves it cannot connect to Master repeating same thing:

[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init success
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[1] <-> <nil>[1] (inactive)
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[2] <-> <nil>[2] (inactive)
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[3] <-> <nil>[3] (inactive)
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[4] <-> <nil>[4] (inactive)
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[5] <-> <nil>[5] (inactive)
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[6] <-> <nil>[6] (inactive)
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[7] <-> <nil>[7] (inactive)
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[8] <-> <nil>[8] (inactive)
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[9] <-> <nil>[9] (inactive)
[00:00:06]: Validating portal[10] <-> <nil>[10] (inactive)
[00:00:12]: [Shard] Connection to master failed. Waiting to reconnect...
[00:00:17]: About to start a shard with these settings:
[00:00:17]:   ShardName: Caves
[00:00:17]:   ShardID: 540838971
[00:00:17]:   ShardRole: SLAVE
[00:00:17]:   MasterHost: 127.0.0.1
[00:00:17]:   MasterBind: (null)
[00:00:17]:   MasterPort: 11081
[00:00:17]: [Shard] Connecting to master...
[00:00:27]: [Shard] Connection to master failed. Waiting to reconnect...

P.S. Its a dedicated Linux server btw

Edited by artemiyME
  • Like 1

RIP prefabswapmanager... That component was so future-proofed, too. It must've been painful to scrap it :(.

It looks like Twiggy Trees will now show up in a number of worldgen rooms, though.

The ocuvigil seems a bit weak... but on to testing.

Edit: As for modding Global Positions, it looks like all I have to do is add the maprevealer component to players, and then reduce the refresh delay?

Edit 2: What exactly is the Ocuvigil supposed to be for? It seems pretty useless. Moonlenses you can drop to mark locations, and the ocuvigil only does a little more than that. Compasses to share your location. I was expecting the Ocuvigil to do something like allow players to transfer uncovered map data or something (like the Map Table suggestion from way back). That'd be really useful.

Edit 3: Looks like these are the current disease mechanics

Spoiler
  • Something that's diseaseable will check to start disease after 50-70 days.
  • Once this has passed, it has a 10% chance to disease (5% if it's far from any players).
  • If this passes, it enters a "warning" phase, which lasts 2.5-3 days. Despite it being called "warning", it doesn't look like there's any way to tell that it's in that phase. Entering warning restarts the 50-70 day cooldown on all diseaseables within 4 range (1 tile).
  • After warning, it becomes diseased. Digging it up at this point will only give you twigs. Every 2-2.5 segments (30-45 seconds), it will spread the disease to a diseaseable within 4 range (1 tile).

So... it looks like in the current mechanics you have two choices: dig up the ones that disease when they do, and lose a few plants, or dig up and replant all your plants every 52 days and don't lose any of them. Based on the "warning" thing, it looks like it was intended for you to be able to save the plant if you caught it then, but I can't find any visual tied to it.

Edited by rezecib
  • Like 7

@V2C Why don't map icons revealed by MapExplorer:RevealArea cache? Is that intended, or something yet to be implemented? If they did cache (and the flickering icons issue got resolved somehow), then map sharing would be 100% perfect.

Edit: To see the flickering issue, you can stand by an Ocuvigil and watch the map. Reducing the refresh period makes it more obvious, but you can still see it once every 5 seconds. You can imagine that this is more problematic when maprevealer is attached to every player, as it means the nearby icons are always flickering.

Edited by rezecib

8 minutes ago, V2C said:

MapExplorer:RevealArea should cache icons if called on the server.

Hmm, this doesn't seem to be working for me. I have it set up to add a component to things that need to broadcast their location (the component only exists on the server), and that component is adding the maprevealer component to things (like players). So it should definitely be happening on the server only, but still seems to result in icons disappearing. So the icons show up as the other player moves around, but disappear as soon as they move out of range.

• Developer

@Brandyn These updates will eventually be added to PS4 after they are fully released.  For now, the beta preview will only be available through Steam.

@CarlZalph We probably won't be changing the way the world map is currently being sent from the server whenever a client joins.

7 hours ago, V2C said:

• Disease will now only target individual transplanted Saplings, Grass, and Berry Bushes, and spread slowly to nearby plants unless removed or destroyed.
  • Disease is now rare and unpredictable, but there are warning signs that players can look out for before a plant becomes diseased.

Sweet. I definitely see this as a realistic improvement to the disease system.

Well, I tried it...haven't played long enough to run into  much of the new stuff yet, but so far I've noticed...

1.  My server was suddenly WAY POPULAR. : P  I was getting tons of people from all over, including like 3 or 4 people from China.  Guessing there aren't many servers running the beta over in Europe or Asia itself yet.

2.  We got _some_ of the ingredients for the Oculis, but unfortunately haven't found the others yet.

3. I see saplings AND twiggy trees around in my world, and I'm not sure but it seems like the twiggy trees are gradually becoming more numerous without my doing anything.  Hmmm...

4.  Chester glitched out and stopped following me, but that was an old problem.  He probably got stuck really bad on a tree or something.

5.  It's currently Day 37, too early to see any disease stuff happening, but mark my words, the twiggy trees are plotting something.  The twigs are not what they seem...

6.  Oh, and the compasses do work!  We tried it and it's awesome.  Of course, people disappear as soon as they go into an area of the map I haven't explored yet, but that's to be expected.

Also I noticed the new stump and burned-tree icons; nice.

Last but not least, the spring giant (GOD I hate that I can't call it both things) decided to set up nest RIGHT outside my base this time.  It's "My Neighbor the Giant", coming this spring on NBC!  This has nothing to do with the beta but I thought it was funny.  : P

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 4

On 8/12/2016 at 2:04 AM, NeddoFreddo said:

*gasps* S0... what do they all do?

Well I'm been toying it around about these and my only observation is:

They have a minimap icon on the map and the yellow moonlens is a part of the craftable Ocuvigil.

Also to make a moonlens all you need to do is:

• In the refine tab you will see a recipe for a "Cratered Moonrock"
  • Collect 3 moon rocks and create a cratered moonrock.
  • Get a gem of preference
  • Mouse over the gem to the moon rock on your inventory, you will see a "Socket" option
  • Right-click
  • You did it, you made a moonlens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, V2C said:

Changes

• Minimap data is now stored on the server.
  • Added new Minimap icons for tree stumps and burnt trees.

@V2C

What do you mean with minimap... like the normal map we all know... or a minimap like the mod you can see on the corner of the screen.. I'm confused

• Like 1

• Developer
6 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

@V2C

What do you mean with minimap... like the normal map we all know... or a minimap like the mod you can see on the corner of the screen.. I'm confused

It is the normal map that you open by pressing [M].

8 hours ago, V2C said:

We probably won't be changing the way the world map is currently being sent from the server whenever a client joins.

Mmm, unfortunate for PvP servers.

Spoiler

bJcDxBN.png

Likewise if any of the LUA-based accessors are blocked then one could simply inject and read the memory of the map should a cheater felt desired.

(laughs) I love that you put them in the perfect order of the spectrum, Aeschwutz.  TASTE THE RAINBOW!...of destruction, probably.  : P  I've never even _had_ a green gem, but then, I suck at caves. Especially ruins.

Edit:  I should also mention here that I made sure to turn off all my mods (except a couple that don't actually do anything to gameplay, like Gesture Wheel) and left all the world settings at TOTALLY default, to test the beta.  After all, I wouldn't want some random bit of code one of my mods might have to possibly mess something up or make it work differently, and as for the worldgen...I'm very much a believer in "See if you can do something normally first, THEN mess with it." 

Not that any of my particular mods are LIKELY to mess with the beta code, but you never know.  Sometimes mod programming might use a bit of the game's older code as its base and that could confuse things.  So for now...no pickling, no original-flavour Willow, no Shipwrecked characters, and (sigh) stupid breakable thermal stones, on my beta server.

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica