[Game Update] - 183426

• Developer

Hey there, Starverinos!

We've been busy making the game run faster! Woohoo, performance improvements! Mostly these improvements have been for client and server performance, which should improve framerates and server load when in dense areas (such as large bases). We've also upgraded all the Klei Official Servers, so those will run better, too. Let us know what you think! It seems there was a tune-up on the rideable beefalo as well, 'coz they're also running faster. :|

As well, these past couple weeks have seen more crash fixes and bugs squashed out. Thanks as always for reporting the issues that you find.

(omg, did I really type "starverinos" …?)

View full update

• Like 26
  • Haha 1

I love server Improvements! My public server is huffin-n-puffin on Thursdays with 25+ people on, hope it helps me against all angry starverinos!

Also is there any technical data available on what exactly was done to server improvements for server nerds? :D

kthx

• Like 1

SADDLE_BASIC_SPEEDMULT = 1.4,
        SADDLE_WAR_SPEEDMULT = 1.25,
        SADDLE_RACE_SPEEDMULT = 1.55,

Wow... that means a rider beefalo with the glossamer saddle now goes 8*1.55 = 12.4

Compare this to a player with a cane on a road, which goes 6*1.25*1.3 = 9.75

An ornery beefalo with a war saddle would go 7*1.25 = 8.75, which is pretty decent considering its damage is just shy of a dark sword. Unfortunately ornery beefalo can still buck you off, which is really a downside that they don't need. It is kind of cute, though. Maybe if ornery's upsides were better they'd be worth enduring the obedience maintenance. For some reason I thought they also bucked you off when obedience fell too low, but that's obviously not right. I guess having to feed it a twig each time you want to ride isn't so bad, although it can get very annoying if you have to frequently dismount, e.g. to pick stuff up.

Edited by rezecib
  • Like 1

@rezecib All beefalo will buck you off after a certain period of time, and the ornery beefalo doesn't do so any differently than the others. I assume you're talking about ornery beefalo refusing to let you ride because their minimum obedience is 4.5 and thus needing to be fed before you can hop on. Personally I carry around a stack of twigs all the time anyway so I don't see it as that big a deal I guess.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT IN DS SW :/ BECAUSE RIGHT FPS DISAPPEARS, MORE LIKE THEY ARE NOT CALLING FOR THE DS TO DO WHAT ALL DAY IN THE DST AN UPDATE ON THE DS JUST ME MATO WAIT AND NOTHING CONGRATULATIONS :)

Edited by LordKhaver

• Developer
1 hour ago, LordKhaver said:

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT IN DS SW :/ BECAUSE RIGHT FPS DISAPPEARS, MORE LIKE THEY ARE NOT CALLING FOR THE DS TO DO WHAT ALL DAY IN THE DST AN UPDATE ON THE DS JUST ME MATO WAIT AND NOTHING CONGRATULATIONS :)

Já lhe foi dito por vários outros usuários dos fórums que a Klei está focando no Don't Starve Together antes de voltar para o Don't Starve. Sem contar que eles ainda tem mais 2 jogos (Oxygen Not Included e Hot Lava) e um DLC grátis para o DST (Through the Ages).

Eles já nos mostraram que não abandonaram o DS e seus DLCs com o update que lançaram há não muito tempo atrás. Foi um pouco pequeno? Talvez, mas é um sinal de que ainda vão corrigir mais bugs dele.

Edited by ImDaMisterL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LordKhaver said:

Please wait. DS will be loved someday but that is not right now. Please enjoy what is the game now. Thank you for reading this text and if you read this I'll give you an elegant Wolfgang head / a potato cup. (stolen from @nome's inventory) 

• Like 2

• Developer
5 hours ago, artemiyME said:

I love server Improvements! My public server is huffin-n-puffin on Thursdays with 25+ people on, hope it helps me against all angry starverinos!

Also is there any technical data available on what exactly was done to server improvements for server nerds? :D

kthx

It's not that exciting :wilson_dorky: as the optimizations were done at a higher level.

We targetted one portion of the server update loop that becomes extremely expensive as entity count rises, and with some changes we were able to make executing that code redundant almost half the time.  The most noticeable improvements should be when players are in an area of the map with a high concentration of entities, such as a base.  Hope that helps!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I would say beefalos are still useless for the following reasons:

A. You can't feed them while riding

B. When feeding them, you don't recover much hp for them

C. Salt lick doesn't last long

D. You give up wormholes

E. You give up caves

F. They unfriend you in heat

G. Dark sword + cane still better than any docile/rider beefalo or ornery beefalo

H. Don't even get me started on pudgy beef... SAY IT! Tuede Adodooedoe Euede Adodooedoe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by EuedeAdodooedoe

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

A. You can't feed them while riding

Why do you want to? The check for whether they should gain domestication checks whether you are riding or whether they have some food in their stomach. There's no benefit to having both.

B. When feeding them, you don't recover much hp for them

They recover 160 hp from eating a dragonpie. Maybe the multiplier could be increased, but it's not that bad. They also fully regenerate their health over 3 days. I have to say maintaining beefalo health was much less of a concern when I actually used one than I was expecting it to be.

C. Salt lick doesn't last long

It lasts for 15 days of beefalo usage (although extra beefalo, volt goats, or koalefants will wear it down faster), is pretty cheap, and nothing stops you from making several in one location.

I do think that they need to rework how it loses durability, though, because right now it just checks if beefalo/goats/koalefants are near it and deducts durability, even if they're being ridden or otherwise preoccupied (or for example, penned up and couldn't actually go to lick it).

D. You give up wormholes

E. You give up caves

These ones do bother me a lot.

G. Dark sword + cane still better than any docile/rider beefalo or ornery beefalo

Dark sword doesn't have infinite durability. Neither allow you to simultaneously have a light source, armor, backpack, and weather-appropriate hat, which you can do on a beefalo while maintaining the speed/damage.

I do however share the frustration around having to choose between rider (great speed, terrible damage) and ornery (meh speed, decent damage); while I get that things should have trade-offs, dark sword and cane is a great example of having tradeoffs without feeling like you miss out, because you can swap at no cost. Taming and maintaining two beefalo with different tendencies, however... not practical. I think I would honestly prefer there to not be tendencies and just have all of the beefalo stats be dependent on the saddle. That way you could still swap, but never gain the benefits of both at once.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rezecib said:

Why do you want to? The check for whether they should gain domestication checks whether you are riding or whether they have some food in their stomach. There's no benefit to having both.

Feeding them increases their obedience, so feeding while riding means you don't have to get hit (lose obedience) / go away / dismount / feed (gain obedience) / mount again / back into the fray. Gaining obedience also resets the buck timer, so early on you wouldn't have to jump off and back on, again and again, to reset the short timers to not get bucked off in critical spots, or to make sure you will be able to climb back to the beefalo if you fall (since they roar when you don't have enough obedience to jump on them).

• Like 2

@@rezecib I did not know that they gain x4 amount of hp from things like dragonpies. That said, it's still not enough, considering that they have 1000 hp and there's no armours or any damage reduction they can have/have. And regenning fully after 3 days doesn't cut it; if you're gonna go to combat one day, then come back to sit by a firepit for 3 days, then it will suck. Plus who's to say hounds or giants won't come yer way? And wow, salt lick is even worse than I thought then. But taking up large space just to place down a huge amounts of salt licks sucks too. Ain't nobody got the time to maintain getting all the nitre for the things. If they lasted x10 longer, for 150 days, they would be much more useful because people can go off servers for a really long time whilst everyone else is playing, may be even in thousands of days! Oh, and I found more reasons as to why they still suck:

I. They die to tooth traps

J. They are not bound to a particular player and anyone can ride them and you lose domestication if someone else attacks them while you're bucked off