The altered music of "A New Reign"...

EDIT: JoeW's response regarding why the audio was changed.

Hey everybody. Unfortunately we had to change the video because the version of the audio that was released was unintentionally using early audio that we were using internally and not the final version that we intended to release to the public. Unfortunately we do not have the licensing rights to the audio in the old video, so once we realized our mistake, we replaced it with the track that was created for the final version and posted that one instead. Because of this, we can't allow the old video to be distributed in any way.

Sorry for the confusion everybody. 

OLD OP:

So today the cinematic was reuploaded. While it's the same video, they completely changed the music and in my personal opinion it just doesn't fit the video like the old track did.

It seems so out of place from the beginning up until Charlie drops Wilson into that portal. The part afterwards where Charlie struggles with her personally actually does sound better. But when you watch Wilson at the beginning struggling with the throne, the new music doesn't have the same punch that gave goosebumps and it's just a rubberband sound. Same for when Charlie attacks Wilson and he falls, it doesn't quite portray the impression that something ended. 

Did anyone ever save the original video? The original was taken down and replaced. Don't post it.

And to Klei: Why was the music changed? Was it too creepy or something? It seems like they thought the tone was too dark and they lightened it with a piano and violin theme when they uploaded it for everyone to see. 

I don't know, maybe it's the fact I've watched it dozens of times now and it seems wrong to hear it differently.

EDIT: After watching this again, I realized the sound effects were already there. Plus, the new music seems close to the same IMO. I think I'm indifferent.

I noticed that they added a handful of new sound effects as well, which are a nice addition IMO. For example, there were no elastic snapping noises before when wilson's tries to pull his arms away from the throne.

I do agree that the old music did fit better.

@Atendrish has offered to give the file to those who message him with their email for now

4 minutes ago, WillPwn4Food said:

[mention]Atendrish[/mention] has offered to give the file to those who message him with their email for now

@Atendrish This guy? just use put a "@" and type their name.

Also I agree the old music was much better in my opinion, I hope they put it back. :/

I watched the new version and thought the music fit quite well. I have pretty terrible auditory memory, so I may revise this position on hearing the previous version again. But I guess my point is that from the (approximate) perspective of someone hearing it for the first time, it was still great, it didn't detract at all.

Edit: Gave both a few listens. I still think I like the new one better. It's a little less dramatic at the start, and rather than leading into creepiness it leads into wistfulness, which I think better captures Wilson's emotions at that stage-- he's just starting to resign to the fact that he's going to be trapped on the throne. That being said, I don't prefer it *that* strongly, and I can definitely see the perspective of it "missing" something from the first time. But it seems silly to go and change it back.

Hey everybody. Unfortunately we had to change the video because the version of the audio that was released was unintentionally using early audio that we were using internally and not the final version that we intended to release to the public. Unfortunately we do not have the licensing rights to the audio in the old video, so once we realized our mistake, we replaced it with the track that was created for the final version and posted that one instead. Because of this, we can't allow the old video to be distributed in any way.

2 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Hey everybody. Unfortunately we had to change the video because the version of the audio that was released was unintentionally using early audio that we were using internally and not the final version that we intended to release to the public. Unfortunately we do not have the licensing rights to the audio in the old video, so once we realized our mistake, we replaced it with the track that was created for the final version and posted that one instead. Because of this, we can't allow the old video to be distributed in any way.

thanks for the explanation, sorry guys, this means that I must delete the link, If anyone else want to see the original video with the old track come to my house and bring potato cups

9 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Okay then, I'll take mine down right away! Thanks for the explanation! 

27 minutes ago, JoeW said:

That makes sense. The sudden change of audio when the new version was posted today was just odd so I thought I'd bring it up.

Thank you for clearing that up.

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up. 

Yeah, it did sound like the original cinematic track was lifted from Danny Elfman's work. However I first thought it was original a rough tribute to his work. Since I know youtube has those automatic take down system. However probably because it was private the system did not catch on right away.

We caught it ourselves. Essentially reference material accidentally made it into the final. Normally I don't comment on this kind of thing but that cinematic was made nearly a year ago and touched up and finalized recently. Through an unfortunate series of events, the final edit made it's way out in the without switching out to the completed score and those of us involved in the final didn't recognize the music. (I just thought it was new). 

We're pretty bummed about it because we worked pretty hard on the entire presentation and to loose those reactions is pretty crappy. But, that's the way it goes, so we'll be sure to be more cautious about that in the future. 

Thanks for the understanding everybody.

Hey, if it was inspired from Danny's work then maybe you can get a hold of him.  He did do the music for Peter Molyneux's Fable game; if I remember correctly.  Not sure what he would charge for it though.

13 hours ago, JoeW said:

Normally I don't comment on this kind of thing but that cinematic was made nearly a year ago and touched up and finalized recently.

I now picture the entirety of Don't Starve's lore stashed away in a scared folder, accessed by hidden doors and forbidden to be seen by the outside world.

• Developer
10 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

accessed by hidden doors and forbidden to be seen by the outside world

Don't forget the retinal scanner. And before you ask, yes, it does check for blood flow so there's no point hiding in the bushes outside Joe's house with a melon baller. :p 

Archived