So what do you guys really want from SW?

1 hour ago, Moon64 said:

Most of Ackzay's suggestions are spot on.

• Merging crafting tables is the single best thing Klei could do for late game Don't Starve. This would significantly increase the content in the game and It gives players a ton of more creative freedom and replayability. Who doesn't want to see the stuff people like Ack, Glhrmzz and LightenUp74/Hezel could make with merged crafting tables. Wilbur wouldn't be so worthless in RoG if he could actually craft monkey hutches.
  • Walani and Warly need reworked. They feel like the Don't Starve cast before the "Strange New Powers" update and offer little end game. Wilbur needs to be tweaked a little. Woodlegs is alright as long as mobs can continue to wear his hat.
  • More complex and worthwhile mobs. Monkey's are alright but are still not as complex as moleworms or lureplants. 
  • I'd like to see the telestaff actually work in SW. Even more so, I would like to see the telestaff and telefocus work through worlds. Transfer SW mobs to RoG, caves mobs to SW, etc.
  • Sea Combat is really dull. DarkXero made an excellent sea combat mod that allows you strike without your boat losing momentum. It made the whole fighting at sea thing feel a whole lot more smooth.
  • There's no much to do in the volcano after raiding it of it's coffee. I do believe Klei could build onto the volcano later much like how they added caves/ruins as a large update.
  • Slot Machine isn't good anymore with both the Quacken drops and being able to bring hops from RoG. The idea that the slot machine could spawn near everything would be a very interesting addition. 
  • There's no reason biolum shouldn't respawn. There's an finite amount of bottle fuel unless you want to farm the slot machine for fireflies which isn't worth.
  • After crafting worlds/merging tables, how about some items that require resources from both worlds to craft? I'm partial to something like this.
  • Some items buffed, some items nerfed. Most people aren't a fan of this suggestion, but I think coffee should be nerfed slightly. I also want to see the lazy forager get the same treatment as the magiluminescence. They were both useless before the update, but why change only one? Allow the lazy forager to be made to be refueled. I also think nightmare fuel should only refuel them for a small amount, It's roughly 30% now; I think 15% would be a better number.
  • Readd the old bell into Don't Starve and maybe give it a special effect in SW.
  • Readd the belt of hunger and feather fan. Why were these removed in the first place?
  • Allow us to utilize large waves for something.

Something I really like that Klei added with S/W is the ability to control the weather in certain ways. This is something I've long wanted in RoG; I was using Moslings for permanent rain in my RoG world's Summer base to prevent smouldering and to cool me down during Summer. I want more of this! But I also want the severe consequences with messing with the weather.

Also, how cool would it to be able to trigger a winter/summer trap more times than once? The set piece goes from being near worthless in a world, to being on the same level as Maxwell's cemetery, a reed trap, or tallbird fort. 

the recipes being removed(other than telelocator ones in sw) are a glitch though, not an actual removal.

I agree with pretty much everything else though. 

4 hours ago, Mr.P said:

There is a difference between uncompromising and just plain horses***. While yes you can fight Sea Hounds it's night impossible to do so on anything less but a Rowboat and even with that one you can't take on more then 2 hounds because otherwise you'r going to die and there is next to nothing to safe you because you'r slower then them. Also this isn't a problem of "I can't tank them" the problem is that you can't do anything else BUT tanking. Because of the whacked out acceleration mechanics you can't properly kite on the Sea now if Seacombat would have been made with that type of combat in mind no one would complain but it isn't because Sea Hounds are to fast and if you try to fight more then 3 you'r going to get stunlocked by them and die.

Also you'r comparison with Deerclops is trash. Deerclops is a Giant a bossmonster a creature that is ment to kill you and wreck the unprepared. Sea Hounds on the other hand are a common enemy you will encounter multiple times and not just once per season. So what you say is that it's okay for a common enemy to be as threatening as a boss then okay go ahead and give every single enemy Giant HP and Power and then come back and tell us how fun and fair that is.

I'll try to explain this again. You are making the assumption that sea hounds are things that you must fight and win. I'm making the proposition that, maybe, they are just obstacles that you need to overcome with a different way than you are used to.

Same thing applies to the sea. Sea is not a place that you want to be in. It is an obstacle that you need to overcome. It is not meaningful to compare it to biomes that are there to support you. Sea is not there to support you, sea is an obstacle between the things that are there to support you, that you need to overcome. It is a new experience, nothing like this exists in RoG, therefore there is no comparison you can make.

I'll expand on this more, since this is the point of contention. Based on what I see in your posts, what you want from SW is the exact same experience as RoG, with new items and mobs. What I want is a different experience, and I got what I want. The RoG experience is about having resources at your fingertips, everything being easily accessible, and surviving with periodic giant threats. The SW experience changes the formula. In SW, the experience is about overcoming the obstacles of exploration to get to the resources, and being able to maintain them in inhospitable conditions that significantly affect your base (see all new seasonal threats). What people complain about goes to the core of this experience. Sea is an obstacle. It doesn't help you, it constantly has waves to block you, it has the hound thread to make you afraid. Did you know that being on a boat was supposed to drain sanity at one point (which may still come back)? Sea is not about exploring it, sea is about killing you. This is a new, fresh approach on survival in this game, that didn't exist before.

Only reason I'm commenting on this thread is to make sure our voices heard among the criticism: Klei/Capy, some of us see what you want to accomplish (or accidentally did so) and enjoy it.

Ackzay and Moon64 had many good ideas, and I'd like to put out a few of my own.

• Wilbur being able to befriend Splumonkeys/Splumonkeys adopting aspects of SW Monkey AI. (Can be befriended, can pick items,  potentially toss items, interested in the Silly Monkey Ball, and ect.)
  • Lightning Rod Bouys. Lightning has been a big factor when it comes to building in SW. Since the DLC was announced I not only wanted to make bridges out of boats, but I wanted to make a base using as little land as possible... Meaning the majority of the base would be made out of boats. Boats for roads, boats for storage, boats for combat (in a similar fashion to platforms in Terraria), and ect. I would also love to be using floating backpacks acting as chests and Sea Sacks as Ice Boxes. However both can burn, and thus lightning can strike them as well. Lightning Rods on top of Bouys would fix the problem of lightning destroying sea bound bases.
  • Boardwalk Turf. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to extend an island out into the water by making a boardwalk? Or what about making an artificial island in the middle of no-where? I think it would be a neat idea, even if it would be very expensive to pull off. I mean if you are more or less creating land, shouldn't it be expensive? Maybe we could even put normal turfs on top of these boardwalks for even more late game building ideas.

6 hours ago, KCDA said:

Ackzay and Moon64 had many good ideas, and I'd like to put out a few of my own.

• Wilbur being able to befriend Splumonkeys/Splumonkeys adopting aspects of SW Monkey AI. (Can be befriended, can pick items,  potentially toss items, interested in the Silly Monkey Ball, and ect.)
  • Lightning Rod Bouys. Lightning has been a big factor when it comes to building in SW. Since the DLC was announced I not only wanted to make bridges out of boats, but I wanted to make a base using as little land as possible... Meaning the majority of the base would be made out of boats. Boats for roads, boats for storage, boats for combat (in a similar fashion to platforms in Terraria), and ect. I would also love to be using floating backpacks acting as chests and Sea Sacks as Ice Boxes. However both can burn, and thus lightning can strike them as well. Lightning Rods on top of Bouys would fix the problem of lightning destroying sea bound bases.

God I need that Lightning Rod Bouy.

Willbur shouldn't befriend Splumonkeys(He's not their king after all), but them not being interested in the silly monkey ball should be removed(It is a monkey ball, not a prime ape ball). And just like Webber and Spiders splumonkeys should at least be neutral to him. 

14 hours ago, stl1234 said:

I'll try to explain this again. You are making the assumption that sea hounds are things that you must fight and win. I'm making the proposition that, maybe, they are just obstacles that you need to overcome with a different way than you are used to.

And i again make the counterpoint that Sea Hounds are far to common to not be able to properly fight them. Because remember they not only show up when you get the Houndwaves but also when Meat gets dropped in the Ocean no matter if it's a dead Jellyfish, a popped Whale or just the Fish you got from fishing in a Shoal (all circumstances i had them spawn on me btw) so again being unable to fight Sea Hounds or just having something to prepare to fight them like Toothtraps makes them extremly frustrating of an enemy. And no cheesing them on the Shore is not a valid point for how to deal with them if i have to exploit a games mechanics because of 1 enemy type then that enemy isn't designed in a fair way.

And i want to adress something else and that is satisfaction with the combat. In Vanilla and RoG when i fight Hounds or any major Baddie i always get that satisfied feeling when i'm able to kill them without a massive waste of ressources or health no matter if it's because i made a big field of Toothtraps (for what i need to kill Hounds btw) expertise in kiting or just proper preperation. With Sea Hounds or a lot of Seabased Creatures i don't get that satisfaction because combat on the sea sucks there is no Style nor grace on the Seacombat it's just a glorified version of happyslaps where you hope to god you can outlast the war of attricion.

15 hours ago, stl1234 said:

Same thing applies to the sea. Sea is not a place that you want to be in. It is an obstacle that you need to overcome. It is not meaningful to compare it to biomes that are there to support you. Sea is not there to support you, sea is an obstacle between the things that are there to support you, that you need to overcome. It is a new experience, nothing like this exists in RoG, therefore there is no comparison you can make.

And again i say that the main beef i have with the Sea is the fact that it covers a majority of the map. That's why I said immagine an RoG map where you have nothing to look forward to other then bland and uninteresting world with nothing in it nor a sense of direction.

When i travel at sea what do i see? The same screen for about 2-4 Minutes because there is not a single thing happening you can go from point A to point B with not a single Point of interest comming along your marry way.

Now this would be fine if the Sea wasn't as big but because again it's most of the map i have an issue with it because i get extremly bored because of it.

Also I like to remind you that one of the main features of SW was in fact the Sea as well as the ability to make boats. Thing is for a DLC that advertises this it's not the best thing when one of the mainfocuses doesn't have anything happening in it.

And before you say that SW never advertised the Ocean i just quote the Storepage

" Navigate the Open Ocean: Craft a boat and set sail for adventure!  "

There is also the fact that you have no sense of direction when traveling at sea other then the depth of the Water and even that doesn't help finding some of the more interesting things in the Ocean like the Volcano.

I'll expand on this more, since this is the point of contention. Based on what I see in your posts, what you want from SW is the exact same experience as RoG, with new items and mobs. What I want is a different experience, and I got what I want. The RoG experience is about having resources at your fingertips, everything being easily accessible, and surviving with periodic giant threats. The SW experience changes the formula. In SW, the experience is about overcoming the obstacles of exploration to get to the resources, and being able to maintain them in inhospitable conditions that significantly affect your base (see all new seasonal threats). What people complain about goes to the core of this experience. Sea is an obstacle. It doesn't help you, it constantly has waves to block you, it has the hound thread to make you afraid. Did you know that being on a boat was supposed to drain sanity at one point (which may still come back)? Sea is not about exploring it, sea is about killing you. This is a new, fresh approach on survival in this game, that didn't exist before.

No i don't want another RoG we already have RoG so if i want to play something like it i play a Reign of Giants world. What i want is a world that's just as lively as RoG and that's the main problem with SW there is no heart there is no soul it feels liveless and empty at the core.

Again a lot of things are just reskins of already existing things with maybe 1 or 2 new mechanics attached to it while most of SW original Mobs are far to rare to even be noticeable or just have no impact on my playstyle at all. I bring up RoG a lot because it did exactly what i want from an expansion you take an already existing Formula and you mix things up you introduce new things you challenge the player in new and creative ways.

SW does this in some points like the need to protect yourself against Poison as well as the new Season that work in completly different ways then RoG. However there is also the fact that other then that it plays almost exactly like RoG go out collect ressources make base rince repeat etc. The only thing different is the Sea and again it's not really a good thing because there is nothing happening. When I travel from point A to point B I don't just want to directly go there i want to see things that make me curios that make me want to Sidetrack because it might let me see something new and exiting.

Only reason I'm commenting on this thread is to make sure our voices heard among the criticism: Klei/Capy, some of us see what you want to accomplish (or accidentally did so) and enjoy it.

And that's fine but you need to consider that the majority of the Playerbase is used to other things from Don't Starve. Again a lot of us helped making the game what it is today and without our criticsm it wouldn't be the same and the same applys to SW. If we don't adress the giant freaking Elephant in the room aka the lack of interesting and meaningfull content then no one is going to and Capy thinks that everything is fine when it clearly is not.

That's why we say that SW isn't ready because at this point it's not in a state that me and others are used to from something that has the name Don't Starve attached to it.

Look im sick of these two topics. We get people who complain about shipwrecked and we get people who complain about people who complain about shipwrecked. Shipwrecked adds a lot i like it you also cant lie ROG added a lot. They are both great. I guess Shipwrecked too me just ended fast. Just because I said that doesn't mean i hate shipwrecked! I prefer ROG does that mean i hate shipwrecked no! These topics are not only annoying buy are probs breaking klei's hearts. They not only see people negative about a game im sure they worked hard on. But they constantly see people arguing about it! Why can't we all agree that both expansions are great! People have preferences and everyone else has to deal with it. Also people are always gunna want more. When ROG was finished everyone wanted more from that (granted not as much as people want more from shipwrecked.). This is only because people expected to have just as much content in shipwrecked in shipwrecked. All im trying is lets stop all this fighting and focus on the future?  

2 hours ago, Nickolas2600 said:

Look im sick of these two topics. We get people who complain about shipwrecked and we get people who complain about people who complain about shipwrecked. Shipwrecked adds a lot i like it you also cant lie ROG added a lot. They are both great. I guess Shipwrecked too me just ended fast. Just because I said that doesn't mean i hate shipwrecked! I prefer ROG does that mean i hate shipwrecked no! These topics are not only annoying buy are probs breaking klei's hearts. They not only see people negative about a game im sure they worked hard on. But they constantly see people arguing about it! Why can't we all agree that both expansions are great! People have preferences and everyone else has to deal with it. Also people are always gunna want more. When ROG was finished everyone wanted more from that (granted not as much as people want more from shipwrecked.). This is only because people expected to have just as much content in shipwrecked in shipwrecked. All im trying is lets stop all this fighting and focus on the future?  

Stay on topic! If you want to complain about complaining then go complain in a new post about complaining about complaining! 

20 minutes ago, Ackzay said:

Stay on topic! If you want to complain about complaining then go complain in a new post about complaining about complaining! 

Are you complaining about him complaining about people complaining about complaining?

On 19.3.2016 at 6:59 PM, Ackzay said:

-Reasons to go out to sea! Once you have a base you never need to go to sea unless you really need seaweed for crafting.

-Mobs you can herd! In RoG I could move volt goats, beefalo, koala, and vargs to my base for utilization. SW? NOTHING. Why bother making ballphins if they are completely useless? You can't move them and their drops aren't worth the time and resources it takes to kill the whole pod.

-New characters that don't suck! This one is obvious. If you think Walani and Warly and to some extent Wilbur are good enough when you compare them to our base characters....

-Better controller controls! Controller players will know how bad using ranged weapons are when using a controller. I highly doubt Klei gives a ****. Prime example; when using the volcano staff with a controller the immovable summon spot is within ONE TURF AWAY. Using the Volcano staff with a controller is extremely risky.

-World setting that allows island size! This goes back to the ocean having nothing to do. So if they don't give it something then you might as well let us make SW islands look like RoG islands so we can actually build bases.

-Better sea combat! Not only is there nothing interesting to see out in sea but the fighting is absolute garbage.

-MERGED CRAFTING TABS! Self explanatory. I don't understand how Klei hasn't done this or mentioned how they are working on including this. In one of the klei streams one of the coding guys mentioned this and said how its more of a design decision so the problem lies with design rather than coding. If the people who are designing the overall experience of dont starve disagree with crafting merging then I have lost all confidence in them creating a fun, balanced, and engaging player experience.

-Volcano buff! Only reason to visit volcano is obtaining coffee bushes. Once you have them theres no reason to go back, not even for the alter of snackrifice since it currently doesnt work (Unless you stay inside the volcano, it seems like relogging resets sacrifices).

-Renewable biolum! No reason why this resource shouldnt respawn every night in new locations indefinitely.

-New turf! I want more tropical feeling turf. Maybe some bamboo wood flooring or some Tommy Behama feeling floor using feathers.

-New chests! Once again, something more tropical. The Octochests are great.

-Slot machine buff! Slot machine is garabge now since you almost always get a cane with the Quacken. The Slot machine should have a chance to spawn EVERYTHING in the game. This ranges from DragonFly to eyebrella. I want to be nervous while gambling, maybe I will have to fight a giant or maybe I'll get lucky and get a weatherpain or some other useful craftable.

-Craftable slot machine! I only use the slot machine for its insanity aura. It's great for farming nightmares. The island it spawns on however usually is tiny and out of the way.

-No more stupid changes! WX (already powerful af) gets a buff to become immune to poison? WTF!?!?! Klei needs to stop ONLY appealing to new players.

-For Klei to watch more experienced DS players to understand Late Game play! This means not relying on people like clownbaby as examples of how experienced players play the game. Watching him to understand the DS community is like staring at butter to learn how to cook lobster.

There's more but that's all I can think of while watching Daredevil season 2.

(Can't believe I just now saw this)

- Fully agree with better reasons to go to sea.

- Woodlegs is cool though...But he gets boring pretty quickly, since having endgame at your fingertips prior to even Dry Season...is not really fun after a certain point.

- Island size please. Oh god yes. 

- Sea Combat right now is horrible, again, fully agreed

- Merged Crafting Tabs are really one of the things I was so dissapointed when I saw it not existing when world hopping. 

- Altar of Snackrifice does work now actually. Made me survive 2 whole Dry Seasons without a single eruption.

- I tend to re-turf a lot thanks to manmade flooring stopping puddles from spawning on that tile(Technically. There's a bug where the puddle spawns on sea and spreads, and its annoying as heck), and there's also how little variety there is in SW's turfs. You have the rug, wooden flooring, and cobblestone. Wooden Flooring is not exactly the prettiest, the rug takes some work getting but is pretty good, and cobblestones are very limited. Why do we have only 1 tropical flooring?

- Spawning everything would be interesting. I don't think it should spawn the giants, but imagine itll suddenly start an eruption or something(I'm gonna regret this since my base is on a slot machine island, but yeah i said that).

-I feel like making it craftable would make it less special though. 

- The true OPness of SW WX is the fact you can live off of gears alone, thanks to their abundance.

- (No clue who's clownbaby) I...kinda don't understand this though. I'm new-ish to late game(reached it recently, but after that I always do), so what aspects do you mean?

On 19/03/2016 at 5:10 PM, Ackzay said:

Oh yeah. DOYDOYS. Totally forgot about those. How could I forget how awesome having a doydoy pen is. Nothing but doydoys walking into the wall. SO NICE.

Yeah, never mind klei. We got doydoys. Forget what I said about the mobs in sw. DOYDOYS! The answer was so simple.

Yeah, I had a doydoy pen but they all continuously walked into the shoreline. 

I literally couldn't get into the pen via the raft I use to enter everything else at all because they formed a barrier.

'luckily', that save corrupted and now I have a new world up running.

On 20/03/2016 at 5:15 PM, AnonymousKoala said:

I feel like making it craftable would make it less special though.

I actually like the idea of the slot machine being craftable as a mega endgame item.

Like, there'd be a 1/1000 chance to get the slot machine handle as a drop from the machine. The existing machine would then be useless, and could be hammered for a few dubloons and bamboo. You'd then be able to craft a new slot machine using the handle, boards, nightmare fuel, gems and dubloons.

And about it spawning giants: Could we just limit it to spawning a quacken or white whale near the island? And maybe we could have some mob spawns that are actually good, like a water beefalo or koalephant (a hairless SW equivalent, obviously).

Maybe the slot machine could increase naughtiness with each use ('cause, you know, gambling), so it could be used to spawn krampus. This would add to the endless gambling aspect of the slot machine (ever farmed for a krampus' sack before?), and would deter people from filling it with stacks of dubloons in one sitting.

1 hour ago, NoQuitting said:

I want sandcastles to last much longer and have a larger area of effect.

Why not have permanent structures that serve no purpose other than to have a sanity aura? Like statues and chairs and decorations. Stuff that would be quite expensive and pretty much without function, but would make that fancy base of yours actually mean something for survival.

I like where they were going with the sandcastle (although I disagree with it needing a buff, as you're supposed to stay right next to it when you're insane), but I think they really missed out on the opportunity for more craftable structures with passive effects. 

They could even change nightlights by keeping the insanity aura but also having different types of nightlight (e.g. Red, Blue, Purple, Yellow) with different passive effects within a small area around it - such as healing or faster movement speed - for use in bases. The new nightlights wouldn't ever be fuelled (although the gem would light up slightly when the effect is active), and would also be significantly more expensive than they are now.

1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

Why not have permanent structures that serve no purpose other than to have a sanity aura? Like statues and chairs and decorations. Stuff that would be quite expensive and pretty much without function, but would make that fancy base of yours actually mean something for survival.

I like where they were going with the sandcastle (although I disagree with it needing a buff, as you're supposed to stay right next to it when you're insane), but I think they really missed out on the opportunity for more craftable structures with passive effects. 

They could even change nightlights by keeping the insanity aura but also having different types of nightlight (e.g. Red, Blue, Purple, Yellow) with different passive effects within a small area around it - such as healing or faster movement speed - for use in bases. The new nightlights wouldn't ever be fuelled (although the gem would light up slightly when the effect is active), and would also be significantly more expensive than they are now.

I agree. Also Gates... Gates... Gates... I don't understand how Gates are not in the game... we need a way to really wall in and have a way in and out.

I'd like to see different enemies.

The Volcano could use more mobs. Nothing too tough, just a slight annoyance like batilisks are in caves. Fire bats? Smoke monsters emitting from the volcano?

The Volcano also could use a boss. I imagine something simple like a lava man would work out nicely. Instead of an insanity aura, it'd constantly be emitting heat that you have to combat. (Get some milage out of that iced cube!)

If it's not too much work, I think being able to plunder in wrecked ships would be a cool mini-caves feeling. They'd be small but have its own little rewards and monsters to deal with. Could even have a diving mechanic, where instead of needing light, you need to constantly watch for your air supply. Our lovely new pirate could be excellant at this endeavor!

I was thinking being able to deep sea dive would be fun, but that seems like a HUGE thing to implement. The top of the ocean already has huge emptiness, the bottom is probably going to have quite a bit there too! Maybe combined with the ship plundering where you can only dive near ships, there's hope for it?

I agree with the adventure mode in shipwrecked. That'd be fun to get a new story! Maybe the shadows are messing with you again, and it continues the existing story. A way to stop the shadows manipulation and finally able to go home? (Unless that's a future dlc! In which case, disregard!)

The new characters definitely need some tweaks. I mentioned in another topic what I thought could help Warly out, and been hearing some cool ideas for Wilbur as well! Haven't played Walani or Woodlegs yet, so I haven't much comment for them yet. Main thing is a smoother intergration for them in RoG. Wilbur should be able to craft a prime ape hut or equivalent of such, Warly should be able to craft another Chef pack (or make his unable to be destroyed?) as well as maybe some unique recipes. And maybe Woodleg's land-insanity could be mitigated by staying near water bodies on the land (in RoG only) so he's not constantly losing his mind. And uh... I guess Something for walani since her main thing was surfing. Moves faster in rain? Board able to be converted to a skateboard (or hoverboard? Heh.)

Underwater Abyss that acts similar to Caves.

Better boat combat. 

Hostile Pirate enemies.

Adventure Mode.

Greater implementation into RoG worlds, perhaps giant mixture world types for them.

All in all I like this DLC, it's a DLC not an expansion. You guys expect too much tbh.

Just now, TalZahn said:

The Volcano could use more mobs. 

The Volcano also could use a boss. 

Good ideas for sure.

Spelunking and adventure mode.

There is a certain feeling of unfinishedness in the current state of the game. There is so much potential for more: caves, nautical underworlds, infernal spelunking inside the volcano, more bosses, more mobs. 

On 18.3.2016 at 8:28 PM, AnonymousKoala said:

Apes kinda help like that. Because the entire group will attack what hits one of them. I keep a few near silly monkey chests during flood season and they annihilate all of my musquitoes. Worked on hounds too once but I didnt try afterwards.

Upadted to the new patch:

Screw apes.

All i want is merged crafting tables. Just imagine all the possibilities!

- Prime Ape reed farm as Wilbur in the reed field trap setpiece.

- Bunnymen powered snake farms.

- Ice Maker in RoG.

- Palm Leaf Huts for spring and summer.

- Obsidian fire pits, chimineas, maybe they could let us place buoys and bioluminescence in the shoreline

- Prime Apes, Wild Boars and Dragoons in RoG!

Archived