So what do you guys really want from SW?

4 hours ago, SandvichSpy said:

All i want is merged crafting tables. Just imagine all the possibilities!

- Prime Ape reed farm as Wilbur in the reed field trap setpiece.

- Bunnymen powered snake farms.

- Ice Maker in RoG.

- Palm Leaf Huts for spring and summer.

- Obsidian fire pits, chimineas, maybe they could let us place buoys and bioluminescence in the shoreline

- Prime Apes, Wild Boars and Dragoons in RoG!

This. (A revamp to crafting tab maybe) The easiest solution would be to give us both crafting tabs and allow us to switch between them.

Plus: Mermaids(I'm a guy okay) and more stuff at sea. It is a little bit late but the essential resources in SW should be dropped by water mobs like fish scales or whatever that could be used in many crafting recipes.

Let the dreams be just dreams :'(

Ps. Fish bones that are dropped from sea mobs - somehow I feel like that was missed even though bone shards are included in many recipes.

14 hours ago, grekon said:

This. (A revamp to crafting tab maybe) The easiest solution would be to give us both crafting tabs and allow us to switch between them.

Plus: Mermaids(I'm a guy okay) and more stuff at sea. It is a little bit late but the essential resources in SW should be dropped by water mobs like fish scales or whatever that could be used in many crafting recipes.

Let the dreams be just dreams :'(

Ps. Fish bones that are dropped from sea mobs - somehow I feel like that was missed even though bone shards are included in many recipes.

I kinda am salty and angry about SW but if we get more stuff in the sea to make it unique and fun and enjoyable, and merged crafting tabs, for the most part, I'll be happy(probably). 

Sea slurtles 

The eye of the storm 

THE TEMPEST 

The kilowhale 

The Quackering ram 

The oil launcher 

Goonzilla 

Underwater caves 

Water spiders 

The life saver 

The captains log

The aquarium 

Bridges & docks 

Watricia 

Clock-o-diles

Trapdoor spiders etc.

On 18/03/2016 at 10:10 PM, stl1234 said:

I'll try to explain this again. You are making the assumption that sea hounds are things that you must fight and win. I'm making the proposition that, maybe, they are just obstacles that you need to overcome with a different way than you are used to.

Same thing applies to the sea. Sea is not a place that you want to be in. It is an obstacle that you need to overcome. It is not meaningful to compare it to biomes that are there to support you. Sea is not there to support you, sea is an obstacle between the things that are there to support you, that you need to overcome. It is a new experience, nothing like this exists in RoG, therefore there is no comparison you can make.

I'll expand on this more, since this is the point of contention. Based on what I see in your posts, what you want from SW is the exact same experience as RoG, with new items and mobs. What I want is a different experience, and I got what I want. The RoG experience is about having resources at your fingertips, everything being easily accessible, and surviving with periodic giant threats. The SW experience changes the formula. In SW, the experience is about overcoming the obstacles of exploration to get to the resources, and being able to maintain them in inhospitable conditions that significantly affect your base (see all new seasonal threats). What people complain about goes to the core of this experience. Sea is an obstacle. It doesn't help you, it constantly has waves to block you, it has the hound thread to make you afraid. Did you know that being on a boat was supposed to drain sanity at one point (which may still come back)? Sea is not about exploring it, sea is about killing you. This is a new, fresh approach on survival in this game, that didn't exist before.

Only reason I'm commenting on this thread is to make sure our voices heard among the criticism: Klei/Capy, some of us see what you want to accomplish (or accidentally did so) and enjoy it.

Yeah, I have to agree. You need uncompromising places because otherwise there would be no thrill to playing. You need the risk of dying when escaping sharks because where's the fun in being able to tank them?

I know Klei/Capy made a small change where you gain damage invulnerability for some time after being hit on a boat, and although I like this change, I hope they don't go all out and turn Shipwrecked into a hand-holding, baby mode version of Far Cry.

1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

Yeah, I have to agree. You need uncompromising places because otherwise there would be no thrill to playing. You need the risk of dying when escaping sharks because where's the fun in being able to tank them?

I know Klei/Capy made a small change where you gain damage invulnerability for some time after being hit on a boat, and although I like this change, I hope they don't go all out and turn Shipwrecked into a hand-holding, baby mode version of Far Cry.

Uncompromising doesn't mean you are not allowed to beat something that is thrown in your face. The update that makes the boat invulnerable for a moment was necessary one. It might have come in different ways though. "water traps" could also be a way to solve it although that probably wouldn't give the "stranded in waters" feel.

There was an issue with it and they came up with a way to solve.There should be more monsters like ancient guardian that are very hard to kill that would be great way for people to fight and what not. A special biomes that debuff you and make everything harder but its optional whether you want to go in there or not.

Just reread the OP cuz I just briefed through and didn't read the latter part: SW is supposed to expand on what we already have(at least that was my personal expectation). For a $5 dlc the amount is satisfactory, however, the difficulty of combining SW content with RoG content makes them feel too separate and thus lacking(lacking RoG to be precise).

That's my opinion on it. I wanted the game expanded, upgraded not side-graded. Otherwise it's decent.

1 hour ago, grekon said:

Uncompromising doesn't mean you are not allowed to beat something that is thrown in your face. The update that makes the boat invulnerable for a moment was necessary one. It might have come in different ways though. "water traps" could also be a way to solve it although that probably wouldn't give the "stranded in waters" feel.

There was an issue with it and they came up with a way to solve.There should be more monsters like ancient guardian that are very hard to kill that would be great way for people to fight and what not. A special biomes that debuff you and make everything harder but its optional whether you want to go in there or not.

Just reread the OP cuz I just briefed through and didn't read the latter part: SW is supposed to expand on what we already have(at least that was my personal expectation). For a $5 dlc the amount is satisfactory, however, the difficulty of combining SW content with RoG content makes them feel too separate and thus lacking(lacking RoG to be precise).

That's my opinion on it. I wanted the game expanded, upgraded not side-graded. Otherwise it's decent.

But you could just tank the ancient guardian. Kiting it is just illogical.

3 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

I like to repeat what i have said before.

My personal problem with Sea Hounds is that unlike regular Hounds there is no gracefull way to deal with them it's straight combat/facetanking and that's something i find very dissapointing. For me Don't Starve always worked like this.

Present the player with a problem and then give him multiple options to deal with that problem. This works for so many things in the game from Surviving different seasons to how to deal with Houndattacks

With Regular Hounds i got a lot of options to work with be it leading them into a Beefalo Herd, having a Toothtrap/Beemine Field or just simply fighting them head on. With Sea Hounds i don't really get these options it basicly boils down to either not fighting them and rather deal with the Landdwelling variant or heavily cheese them by luring them to the shoreline and kill them there (havent fought them in the new Update yet).

This is why i personally wanted something like Seatraps so I get almost the same chances when fighting Sea Hounds that i have when fighting regular Hounds and not the way the game dictates me to deal with a specific obstacle.

32 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

I like to repeat what i have said before.

My personal problem with Sea Hounds is that unlike regular Hounds there is no gracefull way to deal with them it's straight combat/facetanking and that's something i find very dissapointing. For me Don't Starve always worked like this.

Present the player with a problem and then give him multiple options to deal with that problem. This works for so many things in the game from Surviving different seasons to how to deal with Houndattacks

With Regular Hounds i got a lot of options to work with be it leading them into a Beefalo Herd, having a Toothtrap/Beemine Field or just simply fighting them head on. With Sea Hounds i don't really get these options it basicly boils down to either not fighting them and rather deal with the Landdwelling variant or heavily cheese them by luring them to the shoreline and kill them there (havent fought them in the new Update yet).

This is why i personally wanted something like Seatraps so I get almost the same chances when fighting Sea Hounds that i have when fighting regular Hounds and not the way the game dictates me to deal with a specific obstacle.

Maybe water beefalo could be made herdable, and you could lead them across land into areas that you have flooded yourself. 

I'm fact, I want to be able to make my own mangrove biomes by flooding areas of jungle next to the ocean. That'd be awesome...

4 hours ago, grekon said:

you are not allowed to beat something that is thrown in your face

You can beat them. Just not in the way that you are used to beat land hounds.

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

For me Don't Starve always worked like this.

I say it is a good thing that the game challenges the "methods that always work" to force us to improvise.

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Present the player with a problem and then give him multiple options to deal with that problem.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There needs to be multiple ways to deal with any problem. And yes, sea hounds may be currently lacking in this department (although I have created a few new strategies that work reasonably well, there are still about half as many options to deal with them compared to land variants, and I'm yet to try the coconade after the damage boost, which may be a viable option now).

All I was saying is the same as all I'm saying now: Nerfing something to conform to what already existed makes it same as what existed. I'm glad that hound dealing options on land do not work for sea hounds, which makes them a new mechanic, instead of a "reskin of an old one". I have no objection to having new ways to deal with them, just as long as they don't become the same as land hounds. After thinking and experimenting a bit, I have improvised a few new strategies, and I have new ideas to try, enough so that they aren't a problem for me anymore. And that problem solving experience is the best thing I can hope for in any game.

Archived