So what do you guys really want from SW?

Whenever new content is released for a game that changes the gameplay a lot, a good portion of the community will just complain that the new stuff will never live up to the old system, regardless of its actual merit.

And judging by the forums right now, Shipwrecked is no exception.

So what do you guys actually want? Because all the stuff about Shipwrecked not adding enough stuff to the vanilla game compared to RoG (which is complete BS; you normally won't notice the difference between RoG and the base game until your first Spring) just makes it sound like you want all the RoG stuff in Shipwrecked. 

Shipwrecked was created from an almost blank slate, what with the entirely new world generation. RoG on the other hand already had the vanilla game included within it. So it's only logical that Shipwrecked was going to end up feeling more empty than RoG, and frankly I think it's just as good an expansion pack, if not better. It changes up gameplay enough to be exciting, whereas RoG just makes the game mildly harder (and easier in some aspects, now that every second season isn't Winter).

Adventure Mode would be great, but not a must.

Honestly, what I need is Klei to not treat this like it was RoG. You want to make a unique exprience? You do that. You can't make a unique exprience rivaling Vanilla in the same length of time that RoG was made in. 

Sea combat is horrible and clunky(thanks to the acceleration mechanic and enemies who stunlock you, ranged combat and melee combat become a tanking competition, at which Melee wins, unless its on a boat where you're incredibly weak, meaning you WILL lose), boats, instead of going the branched way that they seem to have wanted, don't do that, because only the armoured boat is somehow valid, since it can withstand the sea's dangers.

The new characters I don't feel like they're that unique, but eh, people main them, so it comes down to a matter of taste it appears.

The sea is empty and uninteresting and feels like nothingness, with the actual cool stuff being spread over that nothingness, and the only things that are unique in the sea of nothingness other than resources are enemies and waves(who's collisions need some work), which makes you despise the sea, but not the interesting despise such as despising Bearger, but the annoying despise, such as despising grinding.

The volcano is boring and has nothing really to offer outside of coffee, the altar during dry season, and occasionally the workbench. The cacti are useless and you will get the coffee and dragoons out to use their resources somewhere else eventually.

We lack more original mobs. By that I mean purely original, not reskins with added perks.

Quacken needs a serious buff and his loot becoming more interesting and varied, Tiger Shark needs to be more of a threat, Sealnado's magic seal craftables should be worth it even on their own, yet still synergize together(The forums have some marvelous ideas of such a concept).

That's all of it from the top of my mind. The forums' feedback that I gathered so far that has been the loudest. 

1 hour ago, HeilerderWelten said:

A Quackering Ram, Clockodiles and Dragoon Godmother/Goonzilla. ^__^

If I had a penny for every time I saw a quackering ram suggested (by you, of course), I would be mildly richer than I currently are.

It's a good suggestion though. It would make sea combat viable in the same way that the mining hat makes going in the ruins bearable.

Just now, DeputyDeath said:

If I had a penny for every time I saw a quackering ram suggested (by you, of course), I would be mildly richer than I currently are.

It's a good suggestion though. It would make sea combat viable in the same way that the mining hat makes going in the ruins bearable.

I have to try it until it gets added. *laugh*

Oh boy here we go...

SEA COMBAT IS BUTTS- Make sea combat not butts. Literally any solution works for me: Ranged only, more maneuverable boats, whatevs.

FLESH OUT CHARACTERS- Wilbur's pretty great, Warly's a little OP, Woodlegs sucks but is ridiculously fun, and Walani is pretty much willow with a surfboard.

ADVENTURE MODE- Allow us to punish that rickety ol' Wolly! Shipwrecked has so much potential for a great adventure mode with all its new mechanics and items.

MAKE SEAS LESS EMPTY- Pretty much anything goes here. Oil spout biomes, ghost ships, spots to salvage like in Zelda Windwaker, etc...

The biggest mistake they made with the entire project was not making it an add-on to the main game.

Shipwrecked has less depth and polish than even the vanilla game, it just ends up being a waste of time. Walking to different biomes is replaced with sailing in empty waters, and there are 4 slightly different biomes, with no interesting mobs and similar loot.

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

The biggest mistake they made with the entire project was not making it an add-on to the main game.

Shipwrecked has less depth and polish than even the vanilla game, it just ends up being a waste of time. Walking to different biomes is replaced with sailing in empty waters, and there are 4 slightly different biomes, with no interesting mobs and similar loot.

Would be cool if someone made a mod where the whole RoG island spawns and then you could sail to other islands that are from shipwrecked. :o

14 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

So what do you guys actually want?

Fact of the matter is humans are incapable of not wanting more. No matter how much stuff is there, no matter how good the execution, there is always more to be wanted. There is no possible end to this. People have their opinions, and I'm going to share mine.

Shipwrecked is, content wise, is ready to be released. It still requires a lot of bug fixes and balancing (which will also introduce new minor content as part of this balancing).

Here is my checklist for content readiness:

• Am I having fun playing it: Yes.
  • Do I get bored playing it: No.

Done. It is ready. 

I'll also offer my opinion on a few other points people have brought up.

13 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Sea combat is horrible and clunky

As established before, this means sea hounds and only sea hounds. And when it comes to hounds, this is absolutely correct. And it is fine being horrible and clunky. Why? Not all the mechanics need to be easily manageable or approachable. IMO this complaint, common as it may be, isn't any different than complaining about something like "I can't tank Deerclops, I used to be able to tank everything easily before he was added." Don't Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game, as self described, and it is absolutely fine if not all approaches work against all problems, even though they may look familiar from a distance.

14 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

The sea is empty and uninteresting and feels like nothingness

I like it this way. Why? Because is it the sea and it feels like a sea. A rather large space, mostly devoid of resources, which makes you feel isolated and creates the fear of getting stranded in it. Especially with the threat of sea hounds, which are near impossible to defeat at the sea. This is one of the most unique things about SW gameplay, and I absolutely love how different from RoG this is.

14 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

We lack more original mobs. By that I mean purely original, not reskins with added perks.

What counts as original? Doesn't apes that help you when you friend them count as original? What about Doydoys which you need to protect, and help to have a herd of them? How about a mob that you want out maneuver or tank, you need to outrun? Mobs with ranged area attacks that can be dodged? These are just the ones with new mechanics, there are also others which behave the same as existing mobs but are not reskins (e.g. snakes). In terms of bosses, all 3 are new, one has a vacuum mechanic never before seen, another has a dive attack never before seen, and the other has an area covered with minions, first example of this mechanic with bosses.

2 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

Would be cool if someone made a mod where the whole RoG island spawns and then you could sail to other islands that are from shipwrecked. :o

Or maybe a special boat that gets you to a whole RoG world and back.

To be clear, there are no invalid or wrong opinions, people feel what they feel... I'm not trying to argue about other people's opinions, just offering my opinion. And In my opinion, these post don't do SW justice. It feel like people complaining about the same issues, would rather want the old game with new stuff in it, instead of a new and a different game, which basically what SW is.

To add one last thing: I believe SW is a first step in how this game evolves. It delivers an almost completely new and different experience compared to RoG, and I suspect the future development on the game will extend SW further by adding more content to it, such as exploration of ocean depths.

-Reasons to go out to sea! Once you have a base you never need to go to sea unless you really need seaweed for crafting.

-Mobs you can herd! In RoG I could move volt goats, beefalo, koala, and vargs to my base for utilization. SW? NOTHING. Why bother making ballphins if they are completely useless? You can't move them and their drops aren't worth the time and resources it takes to kill the whole pod.

-New characters that don't suck! This one is obvious. If you think Walani and Warly and to some extent Wilbur are good enough when you compare them to our base characters....

-Better controller controls! Controller players will know how bad using ranged weapons are when using a controller. I highly doubt Klei gives a ****. Prime example; when using the volcano staff with a controller the immovable summon spot is within ONE TURF AWAY. Using the Volcano staff with a controller is extremely risky.

-World setting that allows island size! This goes back to the ocean having nothing to do. So if they don't give it something then you might as well let us make SW islands look like RoG islands so we can actually build bases.

-Better sea combat! Not only is there nothing interesting to see out in sea but the fighting is absolute garbage.

-MERGED CRAFTING TABS! Self explanatory. I don't understand how Klei hasn't done this or mentioned how they are working on including this. In one of the klei streams one of the coding guys mentioned this and said how its more of a design decision so the problem lies with design rather than coding. If the people who are designing the overall experience of dont starve disagree with crafting merging then I have lost all confidence in them creating a fun, balanced, and engaging player experience.

-Volcano buff! Only reason to visit volcano is obtaining coffee bushes. Once you have them theres no reason to go back, not even for the alter of snackrifice since it currently doesnt work (Unless you stay inside the volcano, it seems like relogging resets sacrifices).

-Renewable biolum! No reason why this resource shouldnt respawn every night in new locations indefinitely.

-New turf! I want more tropical feeling turf. Maybe some bamboo wood flooring or some Tommy Behama feeling floor using feathers.

-New chests! Once again, something more tropical. The Octochests are great.

-Slot machine buff! Slot machine is garabge now since you almost always get a cane with the Quacken. The Slot machine should have a chance to spawn EVERYTHING in the game. This ranges from DragonFly to eyebrella. I want to be nervous while gambling, maybe I will have to fight a giant or maybe I'll get lucky and get a weatherpain or some other useful craftable.

-Craftable slot machine! I only use the slot machine for its insanity aura. It's great for farming nightmares. The island it spawns on however usually is tiny and out of the way.

-No more stupid changes! WX (already powerful af) gets a buff to become immune to poison? WTF!?!?! Klei needs to stop ONLY appealing to new players.

-For Klei to watch more experienced DS players to understand Late Game play! This means not relying on people like clownbaby as examples of how experienced players play the game. Watching him to understand the DS community is like staring at butter to learn how to cook lobster.

There's more but that's all I can think of while watching Daredevil season 2.

7 hours ago, stl1234 said:

Here is my checklist for content readiness:

• Am I having fun playing it: Yes.
  • Do I get bored playing it: No.

Done. It is ready. 

That's your personally view on things from my End it's not ready because both points are not fullfilled

Do i have fun playing? Yes but not the entire time around the halfwaypoint in Hurricaneseason i get incrediblely bored and don't want to go any further something that never happend in RoG

Do i get bored playing? See the above yes i get bored playing not even halfway throught the seasonal cycle.

Just because you feel it's ready doesn't mean everyone has to agree on that and the last few days clearly showed that many people not just me feel the same way

As established before, this means sea hounds and only sea hounds. And when it comes to hounds, this is absolutely correct. And it is fine being horrible and clunky. Why? Not all the mechanics need to be easily manageable or approachable. IMO this complaint, common as it may be, isn't any different than complaining about something like "I can't tank Deerclops, I used to be able to tank everything easily before he was added." Don't Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game, as self described, and it is absolutely fine if not all approaches work against all problems, even though they may look familiar from a distance.

There is a difference between uncompromising and just plain horses***. While yes you can fight Sea Hounds it's night impossible to do so on anything less but a Rowboat and even with that one you can't take on more then 2 hounds because otherwise you'r going to die and there is next to nothing to safe you because you'r slower then them. Also this isn't a problem of "I can't tank them" the problem is that you can't do anything else BUT tanking. Because of the whacked out acceleration mechanics you can't properly kite on the Sea now if Seacombat would have been made with that type of combat in mind no one would complain but it isn't because Sea Hounds are to fast and if you try to fight more then 3 you'r going to get stunlocked by them and die.

Also you'r comparison with Deerclops is trash. Deerclops is a Giant a bossmonster a creature that is ment to kill you and wreck the unprepared. Sea Hounds on the other hand are a common enemy you will encounter multiple times and not just once per season. So what you say is that it's okay for a common enemy to be as threatening as a boss then okay go ahead and give every single enemy Giant HP and Power and then come back and tell us how fun and fair that is.

I like it this way. Why? Because is it the sea and it feels like a sea. A rather large space, mostly devoid of resources, which makes you feel isolated and creates the fear of getting stranded in it. Especially with the threat of sea hounds, which are near impossible to defeat at the sea. This is one of the most unique things about SW gameplay, and I absolutely love how different from RoG this is.

The problem here is that SW is a DLC heavily based on exploration but what is exploration good for when there is nothing to do for the most part.

The best comparison i can offer is this. Take the RoG worlds and basicly strip them of 70% of their biomes. Gone are the Savana Biomes, Gone are the lush Birchnut Forests, Gone are the Deserts with the Houndmounds and Voltgoats. Instead all you get is grass as far as the eye can see and nothing to have in it. Ressources are scare and only scatterd on a few small biomes but traveling to those biomes is boring. That's what SW Ocean is atm a bland and boring sea of nothingness.

And don't come here with the "In real life the ocean is just as empty and barren" because Don't Starve is really far away from reality so there is no excuse for not putting stuff into the Ocean other then lazyness.

What counts as original? Doesn't apes that help you when you friend them count as original? What about Doydoys which you need to protect, and help to have a herd of them? How about a mob that you want out maneuver or tank, you need to outrun? Mobs with ranged area attacks that can be dodged? These are just the ones with new mechanics, there are also others which behave the same as existing mobs but are not reskins (e.g. snakes). In terms of bosses, all 3 are new, one has a vacuum mechanic never before seen, another has a dive attack never before seen, and the other has an area covered with minions, first example of this mechanic with bosses.

You wanna know how many original mobs SW got? From the top of my head i can think of a few but nothing noticable.

- Jellyfish are new and unique since they are a passive mob that retalliates on getting attack

- Floaty Boatknights are bew and unique (although they lack some brawn in the front) because they are a ranged mob that can carpet bomb an area and they effectively back off and try to go at distance with you.

- Palm Tree Guards are unique and new. Sure they reuse the Treeguard concept but they work different from the normal Treeguards due to spawning in bigger groups as well as having a ranged attack.

- Stinkrays are new and unique and i think i don't need to say why.

- Fisermerms are new. Mostly because they take a concept we know (merms) and change the way the player expects them to behave.

- Flups are new and unique. It's just sad that they are to rare to even be noticeable.

The problem here is that most of the unique Mobs are to rare or unsignificant to make a great impact. Most of the common creatures you see in SW aka Wild Boars, Prime-Apes, Snakes etc. are just slight alternations of already existing creatures and that overshadows the amount of unique creatures because for every Flup you'r going to see you will see 20+ Prime-Apes.

To be clear, there are no invalid or wrong opinions, people feel what they feel... I'm not trying to argue about other people's opinions, just offering my opinion. And In my opinion, these post don't do SW justice. It feel like people complaining about the same issues, would rather want the old game with new stuff in it, instead of a new and a different game, which basically what SW is.

To add one last thing: I believe SW is a first step in how this game evolves. It delivers an almost completely new and different experience compared to RoG, and I suspect the future development on the game will extend SW further by adding more content to it, such as exploration of ocean depths.

While i do agree there is still the fact that Don't Starve has been a community driven game since day 1. Many features we know and accept have been introduced due to player feedback. And a lot of the people that "defend" SW don't seem to get this all they see is complaining when in fact it's criticism and feedback things that both DS and RoG used to create the most enganging experience so just saying that everyone who critices SW is just complaining is not true at all.

And the reason people get so well angry at SW right now is the fact that it's considerd complete if we can trust the Roadmap and it won't be expanded opon when it's clearly not in a state that many people including me consider it complete because there are so many blatant problems that Capy just wants to mop under the rug and forget about it.

We get so vocal about this right now because we want them to understand that SW isn't in a state that matches the quality we're used to from Don't Starve and that we want this DLC to be as good if not better as RoG but this takes time and effort and if Capy won't deliver in that then it's for certaint that they leave a lot of dissatisfied customers behind.

7 minutes ago, Ackzay said:

-Mobs you can herd! In RoG I could move volt goats, beefalo, koala, and vargs to my base for utilization. SW? NOTHING. Why bother making ballphins if they are completely useless? You can't move them and their drops aren't worth the time and resources it takes to kill the whole pod.

*cough* Doydoys *cough*

Just now, MeingroessterFan said:

*cough* Doydoys *cough*

Oh yeah. DOYDOYS. Totally forgot about those. How could I forget how awesome having a doydoy pen is. Nothing but doydoys walking into the wall. SO NICE.

Yeah, never mind klei. We got doydoys. Forget what I said about the mobs in sw. DOYDOYS! The answer was so simple.

1 hour ago, Ackzay said:

Oh yeah. DOYDOYS. Totally forgot about those. How could I forget how awesome having a doydoy pen is. Nothing but doydoys walking into the wall. SO NICE.

Yeah, never mind klei. We got doydoys. Forget what I said about the mobs in sw. DOYDOYS! The answer was so simple.

Apes kinda help like that. Because the entire group will attack what hits one of them. I keep a few near silly monkey chests during flood season and they annihilate all of my musquitoes. Worked on hounds too once but I didnt try afterwards.

I'm hoping for an ocean that isn't empty, but mostly for a more fleshed out cave. Shipwrecked on the surface may look nearly as good as vanilla Don't Starve, but my favorite part of DS is the caves. And the volcano's single biome doesn't come close to comparing with how cool the caves are.

Most of Ackzay's suggestions are spot on.

• Merging crafting tables is the single best thing Klei could do for late game Don't Starve. This would significantly increase the content in the game and It gives players a ton of more creative freedom and replayability. Who doesn't want to see the stuff people like Ack, Glhrmzz and LightenUp74/Hezel could make with merged crafting tables. Wilbur wouldn't be so worthless in RoG if he could actually craft monkey hutches.
  • Walani and Warly need reworked. They feel like the Don't Starve cast before the "Strange New Powers" update and offer little end game. Wilbur needs to be tweaked a little. Woodlegs is alright as long as mobs can continue to wear his hat.
  • More complex and worthwhile mobs. Monkey's are alright but are still not as complex as moleworms or lureplants. 
  • I'd like to see the telestaff actually work in SW. Even more so, I would like to see the telestaff and telefocus work through worlds. Transfer SW mobs to RoG, caves mobs to SW, etc.
  • Sea Combat is really dull. DarkXero made an excellent sea combat mod that allows you strike without your boat losing momentum. It made the whole fighting at sea thing feel a whole lot more smooth.
  • There's no much to do in the volcano after raiding it of it's coffee. I do believe Klei could build onto the volcano later much like how they added caves/ruins as a large update.
  • Slot Machine isn't good anymore with both the Quacken drops and being able to bring hops from RoG. The idea that the slot machine could spawn near everything would be a very interesting addition. 
  • There's no reason biolum shouldn't respawn. There's an finite amount of bottle fuel unless you want to farm the slot machine for fireflies which isn't worth.
  • After crafting worlds/merging tables, how about some items that require resources from both worlds to craft? I'm partial to something like this.
  • Some items buffed, some items nerfed. Most people aren't a fan of this suggestion, but I think coffee should be nerfed slightly. I also want to see the lazy forager get the same treatment as the magiluminescence. They were both useless before the update, but why change only one? Allow the lazy forager to be made to be refueled. I also think nightmare fuel should only refuel them for a small amount, It's roughly 30% now; I think 15% would be a better number.
  • Readd the old bell into Don't Starve and maybe give it a special effect in SW.
  • Readd the belt of hunger and feather fan. Why were these removed in the first place?
  • Allow us to utilize large waves for something.

Something I really like that Klei added with S/W is the ability to control the weather in certain ways. This is something I've long wanted in RoG; I was using Moslings for permanent rain in my RoG world's Summer base to prevent smouldering and to cool me down during Summer. I want more of this! But I also want the severe consequences with messing with the weather.

Also, how cool would it to be able to trigger a winter/summer trap more times than once? The set piece goes from being near worthless in a world, to being on the same level as Maxwell's cemetery, a reed trap, or tallbird fort. 

8 minutes ago, aukingiii said:

Sharkius shootius 

Made with: 1 Quacken beak   5 Obsidian    1 Tigershark eye    1 Turbine blade 

Remove maybe the Turbine Blade because Don't Starves crafting always relied on the Rule of 3 meaning each recipe has 3 ingrediences at max in it.

battles at sea, monsters, pirates that sort of thing ..... more ships way way more ships... dangerous islands (not only filled with annoying monkeys ) treasures guarded by undead     sea beasts like kraken flying dutchman and so on

Archived