Food is stupidly easy to come by in Shipwrecked

So, I loaded up my first save of Shipwrecked, as Wigfrid, and I gotta say, food is way too easy to come by.

Within the first couple of days i set up a crock pot, and made myself a Surf 'n' Turf, and that's when i realized, food is hardly a problem in Shipwrecked, even for Wigfrid. 

You just need 3 limpets, which seem really abundant, and a monster meat, which snakes provide a steady supply off, to make arguably the best piece of food in the game, the Surf 'n' Turf. Not only that, but you can switch up the limpets for seaweed, which isn't a problem either.

Food IS easy to come by but S&T is definitely not the best piece of food in the game. You rarely need to restore 60 HP and 37 Hunger for 3 limpets and a full meat is far from efficient.

Meatballs remain by far the best piece of food in the game, to the point you rarely ever need to cook anything else. In SW you could even make it with hail, which was thankfully nerfed. But you can also make it from monster meat and seaweed and I feel seaweed is a wee bit too available too.

Food IS easy to come by but S&T is definitely not the best piece of food in the game. You rarely need to restore 60 HP and 37 Hunger for 3 limpets and a full meat is far from efficient.

Meatballs remain by far the best piece of food in the game, to the point you rarely ever need to cook anything else. In SW you could even make it with hail, which was thankfully nerfed. But you can also make it from monster meat and seaweed and I feel seaweed is a wee bit too available too.

I don't know about meatballs being the supreme best food of all, though they definitely are in terms of hunger. All foods seem to fit a group, there's the ones that give you health, like Trail Mix, the one's that give hunger, like meatballs or meaty stew, and the ones that give you sanity, like pumpkin cookies or taffy.

Surf 'n' Turf and Seafood Gumbo just seem to fit all groups very well, making them quite good for every situation.

While i do agree that food is pretty overabundant i also agree with what some people say and that is that SW is not like the Maingame/RoG where you could run the risk of starving but instead is focused on surviving in a completly new territory that offers it's own unique challenges like poisonous animals, Wetness and the Volcano season.

So saying that food is super easy to get is just a difference in the gameplay of the 2 DLCs and i like it because instead of sometimes having to search for a new source of food if i happen to run out i can always rely on the many foodsources that Shipwrecked offers me.

You can harvest 40 morsels and bananas in one day doing basically nothing for it besides laughing. (Ask me if I shall explain it)

So yeah.... rot is more valuable in SW than food itself because you need it to fertilize things.

I'm still wanting different food-type-stomachs that force you to eat fruit, vegetables and meat at a regular basis in order to not "starve". This way we could keep the easy acces to food because it would matter what you eat.

You can harvest 40 morsels and bananas in one day doing basically nothing for it besides laughing. (Ask me if I shall explain it)

So yeah.... rot is more valuable in SW than food itself because you need it to fertilize things.

I'm still wanting different food-type-stomachs that force you to eat fruit, vegetables and meat at a regular basis in order to not "starve". This way we could keep the easy acces to food because it would matter what you eat.

yeaeh prime ape enclosure is a good thing to have morsels and bananas. So much banana, banana pop is too easy to make, giving too much sanity etc.. Totally OP. new recipe values must be rebalanced also these apes should not drop 100% morsel and banana... Klei should nerf it.

Sounds like you need a bit of help playing there. PM me with your problems and I'll send over some tips. :D

26 minutes ago, aukingiii said:

How on earth can you say that food is easy to come by!!!!!!!!!!!      I have died so many times from starvation!!!!!!!!  The longest time I've ever lived is 13 day's!!!!!!! Because of starvation!!!!!!!!!!:mad-new: :-x :mad-new: :x:wilsondisappointed:

I consider myself a veteran Don't Starve player rocking over 500 hours on the game, lasting 300 days in the default, and getting bored at 150 in RoG. I have played very little of shipwrecked so far, but from what i can tell it is hard to come by a food source that wont require effort to get food from. In RoG easy food came in the form of a bird cage, moleworms and a spider den. Turn some of the meat into eggs, 2 eggs, 1 morsel, 1 monster meat and presto, you have Bacon and Eggs, arguably the best Hunger filling food in the game. In vanilla rabbit holes were blatantly op and could provide infinite food on their own.

Shipwrecked is a different kettle of fish (literally).  You have heaps of food options, Berry bushes still a thing, Crab holes work 75% of the time, Seaweed is common as hell, Mussels are easy to get, Fish with a trawl net or rod easy to get, Limpets barely worth noting cause they are that easy to get, and coconuts come in quite quickly too.
The problem is that each of these food sources (except berries and limpets), is either unreliable or takes time. Trawling for fish is easy food, but it takes time, and has the risk of sea hounds. Crab holes cant be relied upon. Coconuts cant be relied upon. Mussels take too much time and eventually move away. Seaweed takes waayyyy too long to harvest up enough. So finding food while traveling easy (seaweed all the way) but finding a very time efficient food source is a lot harder in SW which is in my opinion where they were going with the expansion. I have yet to test the prime ape food source but it already sounds like a pain in the ass

52 minutes ago, LoneBarren said:

I consider myself a veteran Don't Starve player rocking over 500 hours on the game, lasting 300 days in the default, and getting bored at 150 in RoG. I have played very little of shipwrecked so far, but from what i can tell it is hard to come by a food source that wont require effort to get food from. In RoG easy food came in the form of a bird cage, moleworms and a spider den. Turn some of the meat into eggs, 2 eggs, 1 morsel, 1 monster meat and presto, you have Bacon and Eggs, arguably the best Hunger filling food in the game. In vanilla rabbit holes were blatantly op and could provide infinite food on their own.

Shipwrecked is a different kettle of fish (literally).  You have heaps of food options, Berry bushes still a thing, Crab holes work 75% of the time, Seaweed is common as hell, Mussels are easy to get, Fish with a trawl net or rod easy to get, Limpets barely worth noting cause they are that easy to get, and coconuts come in quite quickly too.
The problem is that each of these food sources (except berries and limpets), is either unreliable or takes time. Trawling for fish is easy food, but it takes time, and has the risk of sea hounds. Crab holes cant be relied upon. Coconuts cant be relied upon. Mussels take too much time and eventually move away. Seaweed takes waayyyy too long to harvest up enough. So finding food while traveling easy (seaweed all the way) but finding a very time efficient food source is a lot harder in SW which is in my opinion where they were going with the expansion. I have yet to test the prime ape food source but it already sounds like a pain in the ass

Prime Ape Source require some setting up to be the most efficient it can be.

Either flingo, silly monkey ball, or investing in creating a huge civil war. 

59 minutes ago, LoneBarren said:

Just build your base near a swamp, kill spiders/hounds for monster meat and fish in the ponds, if you want to get easy mode, find a swamp with atleast 1 fishermerm house, they will catch so much tropical fish, that you will swim in meat balls, surf n turf and rot.

Other food sources are still: bird cage + monster meat = bacon and eggs, you don't need morsel for that, tropical fish works just fine, you can also make a bee box + monster meat = honey ham strat, you can use tropical fish instead of morsel too.

I have a Wilbur Vegetarian world at the moment (no meat items for him) that works also good, eat sea weed and berries until you got 40 flower petals and 4 monster meat, make a werepig with the monster meat and feed it the petals for 40 poop, then craft improved farms.

Pumpkins gives more than 30 hunger back, eggplants 25, durians also 25, just grow crops until you get a dragon fruit and then make more dragon fruits. Also with the ice maker 3000 you have unlimited filler, it got even harder to starve in SW than in ROG and in ROG you could just make meatballs out of monster meat and birchnuts until you got a new filler in winter...glacier ice.

Don't Starve is only called Don't Starve, because the player plays that game so long that he starts to starve in real life, but in game it is amlost impossible to die by starvatiion.

1 hour ago, LoneBarren said:

Spider Den + Birdcage still exist so it leaves the Moleworm. Prime Ape are there to replace them for Morsel, their house are found in groups and you can just feed one banana to an Ape and start a huge war to get more Morsel than you know what to do with. The only requirement is literally one Banana that you can get by cutting Trees, it is also far more efficient than Moleworm in term of time spent/morsel produced. On top of that you get Bananas for the next round and for Bananapop.

Since we are talking about OP food and how food in SW "is unreliable or takes time" let's not forget the Ice Maker 3000, it turns fuel into Ice, someone said easy Meatballs? This thing alone make food in Shipwrecked 10x easier and make an efficient food source by itself.

3 hours ago, Dylan738 said:

:wilson_facepalm:

Well it is for Wigfrid if you're calculating fullness/meat to maximize how much spare meat you have to give to the Pig King.  Bacon and eggs needs 4 gold meat for 75 hunger; jerky is both cheaper and better for you.  Much better to just make meatballs and eat 1.2 gold per day, and save the 3 gold per day jerky diet for caves and ruins.

Of course, with Shipwrecked you'd have to make frequent trips back to the Forest World for any of this to apply.  Might be a good idea to get a bird cage and spare ice box for eggs right away; when the ice box is full, it's time for a run to the Pig King.

...or, as difficult as it is to believe... I suppose you could choose not to horde thousands of gold nuggets?  Is that a thing?  Doesn't really feel like a camp without thousands of gold nuggets...

2 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

Well it is for Wigfrid if you're calculating fullness/meat to maximize how much spare meat you have to give to the Pig King.  Bacon and eggs needs 4 gold meat for 75 hunger; jerky is both cheaper and better for you.  Much better to just make meatballs and eat 1.2 gold per day, and save the 3 gold per day jerky diet for caves and ruins.

Of course, with Shipwrecked you'd have to make frequent trips back to the Forest World for any of this to apply.  Might be a good idea to get a bird cage and spare ice box for eggs right away; when the ice box is full, it's time for a run to the Pig King.

...or, as difficult as it is to believe... I suppose you could choose not to horde thousands of gold nuggets?  Is that a thing?  Doesn't really feel like a camp without thousands of gold nuggets...

Counting meat as gold all the time is just not practical. As for bacon 'n eggs, 1 monster meat, 1 morsel and 2 eggs is well worth the "gold" for what you get. It gives you 75 hunger, 5 sanity and 20 health for what? 3 inedible monster meat and 1 measly morsel. Meatballs can be better off left alone depending on what food you have and what fillers you are using at that moment. 

"I can't eat it, but it sure is shiny" -Wilson        Would you rather starve and have lots of gold or have lots of food and still be able to easily obtain gold. And hey, there isn't a pig king in SW so why even bother talking about meat = gold? You can have 20 gold and eat 9999 meat and not actually be eating gold so what's the waste? Meatballs are still good though, but there are better options most of the time.

Note: Yes, you can have a pig king if you link your SW world but I think it is still buggy and very risky at the moment. Meanwhile you can still have 2 worlds with gold to mine.

And what about trinkets? 1 graveyard and you could get 30+ gold easy.

Archived