Skin/Clothes Drops Issue...

Skin Drops  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Using console commands to get skin drops

• It's there as of now, why not utilize it? It's the most effective way to get Skin Drops
    • It's unethical and creates gameplay centered on getting drops
    • Meh, I feel indifferent... either way, I don't care
  2. 2. Do you use certain console commands to acquire drops?

• Yes, definitely.
    • No, absolutely not.
    • Well, I dabble... just on occasion
  3. 3. Trading (can choose more than one answer)

• You got those things from doing nothing in game? For Shame!!
    • You got those things from doing nothing in game? What do you want for that backpack? O__O
    • So I busted my water chestnuts to get this Classy Item... not gonna trade lol
    • So I busted my wall nuts to get this Classy Item... What do you want to trade it for?
    • I have a White T-shirt... do you have a red T-shirt? O__O
    • I'll trade you my Smallbird Backpack for 20 Regular Gloves O__O
    • Clothes? Where we're going, we don't need clothes O__O
    • I wanna show off my clothes that I got while I built my base /pose
    • I wanna show off my clothes that I got while I went to school irl... /pose
    • (Because rule of ten O__O) I wanna play... pls move O__O

Whenever I can, I go out and join random servers, sometimes, you get an insta-ban, but more often than not, you get to play with great people and have lots of fun until the inevitable "Sorry guys, I have to go" after playing for an hour or so...

But now, it just seems like most people are more interested in getting skins rather than playing/enjoying the game...

post-396589-0-73722800-1445866755_thumb.

That's a Wendy under all that... day 147 I think...

More and more people are doing this... I shall leave the server name anonymous as I have no intention of being combatant... I'm just using this as an example...

I was under the impression that you get a clothes drop as you play the game... And I was so happy about that... you get an incentive from playing the game!

But as it seems, you get stuff when you just stand there in God Mode and get rare backpacks and clothes...

It seems to work for most...

I'm not trying to belittle, guilt-trip, or talk beefalo manure about the efforts of those who do it, but... it just makes me sad that most players are just in it for the drops... not the game...

You might be thinking that I'm just bitter as I've only got a few skin drops as of now... well, I am a little... but I'm fine with that what I have when I think that I got those drops because I played... but I'm kinda sad that just setting up God Mode and leaving your game on and you go off to school/work/sleep then wake up to skin drops...

I'm sorry... I just had to say it... you may now ignore this post...

exit_stage_left.jpg

I haven't played this version of the beta or anything, but wouldn't it be possible for klei to change it so that drops don't occur in servers with godmode on?

It is an interesting problem now though- Don't Starve Together Idle servers. TF2 had those, but then they were killed by an update that made it so that you needed to accept an item before you were eligible for a new one. 

It is an interesting problem now though- Don't Starve Together Idle servers. TF2 had those, but then they were killed by an update that made it so that you needed to accept an item before you were eligible for a new one. 

And so, all the TF2 warnings in past posts rise from their graves...

Totally agree with you OP. I really don't see why people would god mode to just get the drops. If you're "playing" the game just for the drops, why are you even playing...? DST isn't supposed to be a cosmetic based game; clothing skins don't affect your survival in game. Not to be offensive, but I think people who god mode just to get drops are just collecting items to "show off." .______.

.______.

O__O

*has friends who god mode*

I don't really discourage it, hey, they might get rare items they're willing to trade, but yeah, it kinda makes me sad to see them stand around somewhere in the map and... well... yeah... get mauled by hounds like it was nothing...

Saying there are people who are in it for the skins and not the game makes zero sense. We want skins because we like the game. You don't godmode for skins and never play.

I godmode on my private server because skins take a looong time to get, but also because there are about no good public servers to join. It's fine to do it if you're not taking up a server slot where everyone else is trying to survive; the people who do that are either idiots or very young. Have a little common sense.

i dont idle, although, i have to admit, when i have to leave my server for a while and when people are on i enable godmode. though, i cannot wait for an AFK system to be implemented...

Makes you a spectator, no clothing drops while idle, 5 minutes until kick (maybe configurable for dedicated servers?) unless host.

I haven't played this version of the beta or anything, but wouldn't it be possible for klei to change it so that drops don't occur in servers with godmode on?

I was under the impression that skins worked like that; you have to actively click the gift box before you can get any more. I am starting to think that all of this AFKing is futile anyway. I think that they implemented a cooldown based on real-time, which if true, all the AFKers are managing to do is add to their electricity bill.

Oh, and I'm also now thinking (less confidently than my other speculation) that there's a concurrent game-time limit with the real-time cooldown. I know for sure that it's possible to get more than 4 skins per week, but nobody is getting that much because they are using their game-time inefficiently by AFKing during their cooldown periods. 

This speculation is probably nonsense. Kind of hard to figure it out based on such limited data. It's fun to think that the AFKers are just shooting themselves in the foot though. 

That would be me. I agree with what your saying. I didn't realize it was so frowned upon by the community to godmode for skins. (hands over 'godmode' to forum police) I won't do it anymore ;-; (Is that my server?)

Don't worry about it man. You aren't hurting or disadvantaging anyone. It's easy to get suckered into thinking there's consensus on the internet when a lot of people with strong opinions post in a row, but it's the people with strong opinions who are most prone to voice them in the first place. I'd wager that a good portion of the community don't give a glommer's goop what ya do.

Well personally I think they should have just added the skins that were shown to be worked on instead of this system. I hated the tf2 trading system, it is just utter horrid trash. even an ingame currency system for buying bits of clothes would be better than the way skins are received.

I endorse godmode! (gets shot)

Nah, if I may interlude. To use a rather close to home idiom, hate the game, not the players. I don't like this system much at all, doesn't mean I'm not going to utilize it though. I would much rather prefer skins and items that were unlocked by performing certain tasks. like wearable achievements. It would encourage more exploring. I'm sure things will change. (I wonder if these items will even stick around :/)

You should check out my idle server though... I think its kind of charming, lots of folk have come and left signs... some to me, others just in general. feels kind of nifty.

Saying there are people who are in it for the skins and not the game makes zero sense. We want skins because we like the game. You don't godmode for skins and never play.   I godmode on my private server because skins take a looong time to get, but also because there are about no good public servers to join. It's fine to do it if you're not taking up a server slot where everyone else is trying to survive; the people who do that are either idiots or very young. Have a little common sense.

Please refer to the picture and others like it... but yes, as you said, they take too long, and so the result is yes, going on God Mode... but as I'm trying to say, it's sad to have to go on god mode just to get skins... and so as others pointed out, why not:

I would much rather prefer skins and items that were unlocked by performing certain tasks. like wearable achievements. It would encourage more exploring. I'm sure things will change.

I don't like this system much at all, doesn't mean I'm not going to utilize it though.

Yes... you are right in that.

That would be me. I agree with what your saying. I didn't realize it was so frowned upon by the community to godmode for skins. (hands over 'godmode' to forum police) I won't do it anymore ;-; (Is that my server?)

*places torch on running in place Cris*

Guys, look, I'm not saying that going on God Mode to get skins should be frowned upon, well kinda, but it is the best method on how you can get skin drops at the moment... I am only saying that there should be a system that grants you skin drops from doing tasks... from playing the game... as I first learned of the Poop bag, I thought you got it after you did that something to do with poop... like building a random amount of farm plots or gathering a random amount of poop... or get a small bird backpack after you raise like... n number of smallbirds...

Please refer to the picture and others like it... but yes, as you said, they take too long, and so the result is yes, going on God Mode... but as I'm trying to say, it's sad to have to go on god mode just to get skins... and so as others pointed out, why not:

Yes... you are right in that.

*places torch on running in place Cris*

Guys, look, I'm not saying that going on God Mode to get skins should be frowned upon, well kinda, but it is the best method on how you can get skin drops at the moment... I am only saying that there should be a system that grants you skin drops from doing tasks... from playing the game... as I first learned of the Poop bag, I thought you got it after you did that something to do with poop... like building a random amount of farm plots or gathering a random amount of poop... or get a small bird backpack after you raise like... n number of smallbirds...

Well I also find that godmodeing is more efficient. I just wish that the game would update more for the people who have no idea that this side of the game is going on. it often shows on the lobby menu something like 100 - 200 games running out of maybe a 1000 or more. Most of all usually 75% of those 100 - 200 servers are passworded leaving around only 50 or so servers actually playable to the public. This is why godmodeing is quite frankly, the best option. Weather you frown upon it or not is your choice. I'd rather just have achievements added to the game where you can get every clothing item from just playing the game and doing some kind of tasks and the random is kinda nice but it's tooo random, i don't want to have to wait 10 hours inbetween drops with the first or second drop having a high possibility to drop something you already have. I'd rather just wait in godmode while I'm either working or doing something else like projects, other hobbies, and maybe just helping friends out with other things. Besides the point of godmodeing, the console command is open for any host anyway so unless they kill the entire console ingame then there seems to be no stopping it at this point.

If clothing was awarded via achievement, this would

1. Shrink diversity, because everyone would want to flaunt their wealth by waving around the hardest achievement gear

2. Go against Klei saying they don't want achievements.

3. Make people only play for the achievements then leave to not return.

It's a survival game.

Skin drops are an addon. Not the purpose.

While yes, I would like the smallbird pack, no, I'm not terribly concerned with getting my white-gloved mits on one immediately.

I play the game to have fun. As I do with all games. I'm not good at games, far from it in fact, but as long as I can get some genuine laughs I love it. Hence why I play tf2 as frequently as I do, and why I still won't leave it despite it's.... recent updates. 

If you're all this bent as to cheat for clothing, which I see no true benefit from, that's your way of play, but really, you aren't actually playing. While in game, I doubt you'll try to flaunt your ultimate wealth by going through a wardrobe 4,923,243 times, so I'd just pick an outfit you like and stay to it. I keep my double drops because I still do want the smallbird pack, but if you want the self-achievement brain zap of emotion then you know what, go for it. Use your methods. While I frown upon those who abuse the system to get items that should be just casual rewards for just playing the game, just go do it. I don't care, honestly. It doesn't faze me in the slightest, why should I care that you're cheating? 

Anyway, that's my post. Feel free to like it or report me to JoeW because you think I'm spouting nonsense, or please, take me up on some points of mine and I'll do my best to respond.

I've just gotten slightly irritated with how much the issue of clothing has clouded the game.

the issue of clothing has clouded the game.

Not the players. Please remember that. We're not 'cheating'. There are no rules to break. Klei dumped a bucket of #hatz on us. There really isn't anything to be gained game-play wise from this. But there is worth in collecting the items. as long as SOMEONE values them at all, they'll be worth more to some than others. It's just the nature of trading goods in a free market. Klei opened the floodgates here. The reason I've collected so much is because I give everyone else what they want, I'm literally feeding the community. If there was no interest in this, it wouldn't be possible. 

These sort of systems are designed to bring out the animals in people. The kind of instinct that makes you willing to scrape yourpockets for vanity, I've already witnessed this. And it saddens me. But if you're going to be seeking out your favorites like the rest of 'em, might as well be honest about it. You're no better than the rest of us mate.

Not the players. Please remember that. We're not 'cheating'. There are no rules to break.

But if you're going to be seeking out your favorites like the rest of 'em, might as well be honest about it. You're no better than the rest of us mate.

Now before you get yourself in a big hubub that "hey buddy you cropped out like my whole post" the reason i did that is because i see your side, and im willimg to accept to see where im wrong on my standpoints, but these two topics im touching on.

While you're correct, you aren't cheating, you are still abusing the system, which while it may work for a while and some people use the excuse "im just using my resources to my advantage" its still abusing the system.

and as for seeking out my favorites, people were just like "heres the stuff you want im santa ho ho ho" (*cough* ImdamisterL)

although i still do want the smallbird pack, part of being the world's only professional certified tallbirdologist.

I don't know... it still seems a stretch to say that idling for a random event which is only triggered by the real passage of time is 'abuse.'

So only the people who play as much time as they would have normally prior to the time based drops are not 'abusing' the game? As if the item drops don't happen at all? whats the difference between someone who plays easier worlds to get drops... or someone who idles occasionally. are they all abusing the game? Are you telling me you haven't spent more time in game, in spite of not especially enjoying the game any more than usual, in the hopes of getting drops?

I still don't think there's any fault in the players here. It's just a lame system. not even a flawed one... just a really boring one.

(and what would you trade for it? XD)

Archived